• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

saunderez

Shancake said:
Sorry I meant in Australia! They confirmed VIA their twitter account and instore that they were recalling due to not being able to resell it.
I don't understand how EB wins taking this stance. Other retailers will still sell it who don't care about resale. And they'll still have to deal with people trying to trade in copies they bought from other retailers. GG EB!

Fusebox

Banned
Shancake said:
Sorry I meant in Australia! They confirmed VIA their twitter account and instore that they were recalling due to not being able to resell it.

I figured you meant Australia, I just thought it was a bit weird of EB to use the word 'recall' when they haven't sold any units yet.

I'm surprised they aren't just dumping stock for cheap like JB are though, do EB expect Capcom to reimburse them for the whole order?

Shoogoo

I'm pissed they didn't put the voice chat support in this. It's needed.

What games had voice chat so far on Nintendo's handhelds? Metroid Prime Hunters, Pokemon, ...?

They didn't put that mic only for people to blow in it right? >.>

Teknoman

Shoogoo said:

What games had voice chat so far on Nintendo's handhelds? Metroid Prime Hunters, Pokemon, ...?

I think Advance Wars Days of Ruin had it too? Dunno. Kinda dumb that they wouldnt include it here though...that and a way to detect who is online via your friends list and maybe send an ingame message (generic message even) to play Mercenaries.

EatChildren said:
I'm complaining because the abysmal sound quality hurts the weight of weapons and thus makes killing things less enjoyable than it could (and should) be. I'm also complaining because the game's general structure and presentation is clumsy, and its hard to shake the feeling the whole thing was relatively half arsed.

That doesn't mean the gameplay itself isn't fun, because it is. Mercs is great and thus this is great too. But I'm not going to pretend that its without some glaring flaws. Not having Leon/Ada/Shiva stinks of holding back content for no reason, and no standard skirmish option is truly baffling.

Well yeah thats true, but is there still the possibilitiy of downloads in the near future? Either way, I agree on the faults but I dont think it deserveres a 1.5 out of 5 stars in the least bit. At the same time, Capcom does need to put a little more effort into their 3DS titles. SSFIV 3D is still fun, but i'm not sure how they messed up the USA drive in music to only play the "near KO danger" music through the entire match.

Shoogoo said:

Diddy Kong Racing DS had it. I think Mario Kart has it too though I'm not sure.

So has any maniac been able make a list of the different stats for each character?

I noticed Hunk has a sliver of health by default, and (alternate costume) Krauser can't use sprays to literally save his life.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Teknoman said:
Well yeah thats true, but is there still the possibilitiy of downloads in the near future?

Capcom said they would "look into it" if there was a demand, but never actually planned for it. They were asked in earlier interviews if there would be DLC and they said they'd have to talk to Nintendo about it.

I assume the game isn't built for DLC, so I suspect it wont get any. Capcom like charging for DLC, but they also said that they wanted to make Mercs a new franchise. I figure that Leon/Ada/Shiva were held back for sequels.

dankir said:
So yes or no GAF?

GSImn.gif

watershed

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
I really wanted to get this game for its graphics, but not sure about it now.
Wait for Revelations, it looks much better graphically and will probably be a much better overall game.

other then it feeling like a half assed port, so far i've had fun with it. mostly laughing at the janky stuff

using xbox live for party chats, been SS ranking it with a few people back and forth.

fun skill systems, lots of stuff to upgrade and unlock it seems too.

the core gameplay is there

sonikokaruto said:
thanks to all of you whiners, i'm gonna get this game and have fun with it for 20 or less

thank you all :)
I have a feeling that this shitstorm isn't going to have as big an impact as GAF thinks and that we won't see the price drop by half any time soon, but I hope you're right.

Haven't played the game yet, but did get a chance to read the instruction manual :/

Anyway, this caught my eye while reading the manual:

B Button
Walk
Walk while holding the button down and using the Circle Pad

I know it's only for the Type A controls, but why the hell would I need to hold down a button other than the circle pad/control stick to just walk?

lazybones18 said:
Haven't played the game yet, but did get a chance to read the instruction manual :/

Anyway, this caught my eye while reading the manual:

I know it's only for the Type A controls, but why the hell would I need to hold down a button other than the circle pad/control stick to just walk?
It's set to auto run. Not sure why you'd want to move slower though, yeah.

Mr_Zombie

I think what he meant is that in 2011 Capcom still doesn't get that when you're using an analog stick/pad, there should be no need to use another button to toggle between walking and running.

Shoogoo

For those of you who have the game, I got a question.

Since you can change the loadouts, what is the difference between say Jill and Claire?

Mafro

Mr_Zombie said:
I think what he meant is that in 2011 Capcom still doesn't get that when you're using an analog stick/pad, there should be no need to use another button to toggle between walking and running.
I hate it when this happens. A staple of the 3D GTA games and RDR, despite the presence of an analogue stick. Waste of a button that could be used for something else.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shoogoo said:

Since you can change the loadouts, what is the difference between say Jill and Claire?

Jill - Assault rifle, knife and shotgun.
Claire - Pistol (not sure which), EMP/flash launcher and sniper rifle.

Mr_Zombie said:

You dont need to hold a button. A slight angle of the pad will walk, while holding it the full way will run.

Just watched the Gametrailers review and that sealed the deal. Cancelled my Amazon order.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on over at Capcom!?

UncleSporky said:
Duo missions:

1-3
2-3
3-5
4-1, 4-2, 4-3, 4-4, 4-5
5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 5-4, 5-5
EX-1, EX-2, EX-3, EX-4, EX-5, EX-6, EX-7, EX-8, EX-9

22 total.

That's a relief - I was really worried since at first it appeared that the only duo stages were going to be the last stage of each level, which wouldn't have provided that much online content. Good to hear though.
Shoogoo said:
But.. You can't play all the maps in coop (duo or whatever)? Why not?

Some are understandable - there are missions in where there's not even any real combat, but for the first three levels, they made only 3 stages playable in co-op, which had me worried. I guess this is where the tutorial kind of stops though, as from Uncle Sporky's post, it looks like all of Levels 4, 5 and EX missions are co-op, which I imagine gives you access to all the maps.

Ken

Shoogoo said:

Probably just a difference in close combat attacks and the damage dealt.

Shoogoo

EatChildren said:
Jill - Assault rifle, knife and shotgun.
Claire - Pistol (not sure which), EMP/flash launcher and sniper rifle.

That's their default loadout, but you can change it right?

Ken

Shoogoo said:
Yes. You can change any character's load out to another's as well as one load out that isn't any character's default load out. You have to unlock each load out with play coins first before any character can use them.

EatChildren

Shoogoo said:

You can only swap load outs between characters. So Jill can use Claires and vise versa (as well as everyone else). There's only one 'extra' loadout, and everyone can use it.

EDIT: Beaten.

Shoogoo

Thanks both of you.

Edit : Krauser can't heal, not matter the loadout?

That's my last question for today :) just trying to understand the mechanics.

Teknoman

boris feinbrand said:
Thats what you call going back to your roots... lol.

Well after running around and just randomly shooting in the first mission, the gun sounds really arent that bad (in Mercenaries). Maybe I need to check RE4/5 and Mercs 3D side by side, but the normal handgun and shotgun dont sound that different than console. Maybe a little muted if anything.

Surround sound setting without headphones is great for both Mercs and Revelations trial (which apparently has two ways to end the demo). The graphics are actually pretty good and accurate representations of the console environments, aside from some jaggies here and there.

EatChildren

Shoogoo said:
Thanks both of you.

Everyone can heal. Characters have three main weapons, which is their loadout, and an additional three slots for. One for health, one for flash grenades, and one for normal grenades.

Ken

Shoogoo said:
Thanks both of you.

Ran around 5-3 as Claire to try to answer your first question.

I think the only difference between the characters is their close up attack.

When Jill stuns an enemy in the leg, she can do a kick that kicks them a good distance away. On the other hand, Claire punches them but they stay in the same spot.

Another example is when Claire stuns the RPG wielding enemies with a body shot, she can punch them but it won't kill them. On the other hand, Hunk's close attack would kill the same stunned enemy.

Of course these are just casual observations I made while playing so I can't give you any proof with damage numbers or what not.

J-Rock

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Just watched the Gametrailers review and that sealed the deal. Cancelled my Amazon order.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on over at Capcom!?

Yeah I just watched that too. Some sad shit. Damn it Capcom.

EatChildren

Finally got a chance to play with headphones, and the guns sound a lot nicer now that there's bass behind it. They sound meatier, which is great.

The sound design is still shit though. There's an awful cheapness to the sound, as if the original effects have been downsampled waaay lower than necessary. Impacts are probably the most noticable downgrade now that I've played with headphones. Even with the improved oomph, the squishy impact sounds cheap, as does all enemy audio effects. The guns could still sound better overall too.

Still, the game is fun. So there's that.

Ken

Woo all missions cleared. Last mission was intense but managed SS on my first try.

Now to figure out how to unlock all the perks.

Unskippable credits? Zzz...

EatChildren said:
Everyone can heal. Characters have three main weapons, which is their loadout, and an additional three slots for. One for health, one for flash grenades, and one for normal grenades.
Actually I think this varies by mission. Sometimes I get flash grenades and proximity mines, sometimes I get regular grenades and proximity mines, etc.

EatChildren

UncleSporky said:
Actually I think this varies by mission. Sometimes I get flash grenades and proximity mines, sometimes I get regular grenades and proximity mines, etc.

Oh shit yeah, you're right. Seems to vary from mission to mission.

Either way all characters have six loadout slots. Three reserved for their weapon loadout, and three for extras that are defined by the mission. All have health.

Also, I just want to say that the Red9 + Dual Grenade launcher is a fucking useless loadout.

EatChildren

dankir said:
How's the 3D in this?

Okay. You can spot it and if you're a fan of 3D its welcome, but its probably the softest 3D effect of any game I've played yet. Very conservative. Even at maximum if you check out there difference between each camera angle its quite small. There's depth, but its not even in the ballpark of Zelda or Pilotwings.

3D off nets 2xAA by the looks of things.

EatChildren said:
Also, I just want to say that the Red9 + Dual Grenade launcher is a fucking useless loadout.
Whoa, seriously? That's the one I beat 4-5 with. Granted I also had a level 2 handgun skill but I don't think that affected it that much.

The dual grenade launcher was perfect for aiming down at spawning locations and eliminating four guys at once at the start of each wave. The Red 9 has awesome stopping power and staggers bosses fairly easily. It starts with low ammo but by the end of the mission I had 250 or so from all the drops.

Maybe it's a function of how the mission is set up. Time wasn't a concern in 4-5 because we got an extra minute after each wave and extra time in the interim, so that by the end we had at least 9 minutes remaining. However I could see those frequent reloads really cutting into your time, coupled with a powerful gun that kills before you get the chance to do a melee...maybe it's only good in conjunction with a second player.

What do you think of Barry's loadout? I've heard good things about his magnum.

EDIT: I see Wesker is supposed to have a handgun/magnum/shotgun, that sounds like it'll be one of my favorite loadouts. Rifles are about useless...

Nemesis_

EatChildren said:
Okay. You can spot it and if you're a fan of 3D its welcome, but its probably the softest 3D effect of any game I've played yet. Very conservative. Even at maximum if you check out there difference between each camera angle its quite small. There's depth, but its not even in the ballpark of Zelda or Pilotwings.

3D off nets 2xAA by the looks of things.

The 3D is great! Have you ever had a Garrador stab you? Sometimes I dodge it and the claw has this amazing sense of depth and almost appears to be jumping off the screen.

It's a VERY rare occurence but it looks great when it happens (same for dodging arrows and such).

I suppose in general play, though, it looks pretty subtle.

kiryogi

Banned
Flaws aside, it's Mercenaries at the very core and that alone is great for on the go play. Currently having a great time playing it online. Sad to think this is the first semi real RE on handheld ever aside from RE Gaiden . . .

Top Bottom