• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles: Official Thread

MiamiWesker said:
I have played a lot more of this game, done nearly every mission except a few side ones. Yeah this game is great, it is one of the best light gun games ever. The Outbreak levels take the intensity to levels you expect to see in games of this genre. There are all sorts of wow moments as monsters come at you from everywhere and you are struggling to keep them at bay with whatever weapons you got. Its not just the on rails stuff that is great, the customization, the ranking system and little things like QTE segments make it more interesting than your average shooter. This is the type of game the Wii was made for, here is a game that will not work on any other system it makes perfect use of the wiimote and delivers a unique experience to a franchise we all know. This is a side game done right. If only this game was a tad bit more polished I think it could have been very special.

Story wise, as a recap of the series its terrible, it creates its own story almost. But the final stage is cool as hell and I have enjoyed that story aspect so far. The Wesker stages are everything I wanted, Wesker is a bad ass. When I beat the game I will get into the story but I am surprised they didn't screw it up, its ok.

Again pretty much my feelings on this game, as started earlier in the thread.

Nemesis_

I'm finding the game incredibly easy =/ I found the first mansion level hard, but otherwise I'm finding it pretty cruisy but still terribly enjoyable! =P

Here's my stats so far: -

Beginnings Ch.01: A
Beginnings Ch.02: A

Train Derailment Ch.01: A
Train Derailment Ch.02: B
Train Derailment Ch.03: A

Nightmare Ch.01: A

Mansion Incident Ch.01: S
Mansion Incident Ch.02: A
Mansion Incident Ch.03: S

Raccoon's Destruction Ch.01: A

So far I don't wanna play on because I don't want it to end! Does Nemesis make an appearance in Ch.02 and Ch.03 of Raccoon's Destruction? Do we meet all three of his forms eventually?

Nemesis556 said:
So far I don't wanna play on because I don't want it to end! Does Nemesis make an appearance in Ch.02 and Ch.03 of Raccoon's Destruction? Do we meet all three of his forms eventually?

He comes out in ch.3 as his original form and the one where the armor breaks off and he has tenticles. Thats it, it does not go further than that.

Nemesis556 said:

Actually no, thats part of my beef with the game, my one and only major beef really.
They butcher part 3 alot. Yes you are involved with Nemesis through the 3rd chapter and fight him in an alterted form, but really its totally not where the game ended in the third title.

Unless its this way since Umbrella doesn't trully know what went down that night except for the obvious. That could be one theoritcal assumption since this is a story being told from data Umbrella collected supposedly, but even that would be stretching it. I will say I still love RE 3 in UC though, even for what it is, it was a blast.

Beat every scenario on normal, big thumbs up on this game, it really is an excellent "light-gun game" experience. 8 range game for me, will do a review later I still want to play a lot more. The final Wesker stages were cool but the final boss was a bit of a let down, I liked Chris and Jill's final boss better. Hunk's level is great, its a stage you have done before but there is an audio track going on in the background that makes it so worthwhile.

Now that I finished the game its time to get into the story, spoilers:

I loved how they handled Wesker in the game, he is the best villain ever, you have to admire his awesomeness.This game does not back off from showing off his powers, its in full display during the Umbrella mission. As usual he is the man behind everything, it was him that lead Chris and Jill to this base to create a diversion for him. I love his talk during that mission how he speaks about his old friend Chris, how he insults Sergei's mutation. It was a good ending for Umbrella, Wesker steals all the data from Umbrella, i assume its last major factory is closed down so in a way the last of Umbrella was finished.

But the best part of it all was what happened during the credits and after them. I love how they did the broadcast audio, how they made sure to say Spencer is still at large, and describing the legal destruction of Umbrella. It mentions that an informant gave info on Spencer, I would guess it was Wesker. Perfect transition into the Wesker of RE4, he has his new base, he has all of Umbrella's info and he is ready to take over the world.The last line was an OMG moment, when he says that its not the last of Spencer, that he will succeed where he failed, that was a perfect touch. I am so happy that Capcom has not forgotten about Spencer. I am pleased that we get to see how Wesker got to where he was in RE4. Chris and Jill still know that the main threat is still out there so all the pieces are set for a major Chris an Wesker showdown in RE5. In that regard this games story was a success.

As for the Sergei, eh another crappy Umbrella villain, its hilarious that both Chris and Wesker mention how predictable he is, I think the devs knew what they were doing. I did not like how they threw him into all the previous RE games, so this unknown guy was running around the backgrounds this whole time. The computer angle was fine, big evil corporation, they have to have a big evil computer, so it didn't bother me much, it was mostly there as a storage of all the data. Its interesting that Sergei was the prototype for all the Tyrants, since it was so hard to find a match I think we all assumed they cloned someone to make all those Tyrants, so that got explained. He had a relationship with Nicholai, I guess he ordered the execution of the other officers so that got explained. I think the guy in the helicopter at the end of the Ada mission was Spencer, Sergei mentions that they were friends, plus they never showed the mans face so it should be someone important. Whats really interesting is the file Wesker made which talks about the T-virus mutations. Wesker believes the T-Virus mutates based on the mental state of the host, this is a great explanation as too the totally crazy mutations that have happened over the course of so many games. Like Wesker, I wonder what that would make Wesker become.

I was a bit disappointed in the Ada side story, it doesn't show what happened to her after the fall or electrocution, it doesn't clear any of that up. Guess she just gets up, bandages herself and moves on. Her dialogue about Wesker was a nice foreshadowing to the events of RE4. She is such a great character, here is one character that we really know nothing about. Who is she really, how did she get involved in all this, whats her ultimate goal. Its amazing they have kept her this interesting for so long.

So what does this all mean for RE5, I would guess that Spencer will be involved somewhere. Perhaps the Organization Ada joined is run by Spencer and he wants to take back what Wesker has. Chris is still on the lookout for Wesker, he knows the horrors wont stop until Wesker is taken care of so that is probably his motivation. I hope we dont get another side storylike we did with palagas and Saddler, it really needs to focus back on the main story with Wesker and his threat to the world.

cvxfreak said:
It's a main storyline RE just for the final chapter and a few of the subchapters alone. So if you wanted to know the whole RE storyline, then you'd have no choice but to play UC.

Interestingly enough, Jun Takeuchi, who's involved in RE5, was I believe an advisor for REUC. It makes me wonder if UC's plot will have some bearing on RE5's.

With all the hints about the future this game gives it has to tie into RE5.

Quick questions...

In chapter 1 I averaged S, C and a B.
I didn't find it THAT difficult but not easy by any means.
Should I switch from NORMAL to EASY for Chapter 2?

How many Chapters are there?

Thanks.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Yes! I'm finally getting the hang of criticals. I've been practicing in the rooms with like 100 zombies in them. I just keep dieing, until I get the majority of the room cleared with headshots, and then using a shotty to mop up the rest. :D

Crimson heads and hunters are still a bitch though. :( They get to sneak up on you quietly, and hit you as soon as you turn around. I'm not fast enough with the handgun to crack a critical off, without taking damage. :(

Oh, and I guess taking Nemesis down without damage, depends on how great you are with the rocket launcher, and shotgun. Two rockets while he is running on the roof, seems to cancel out the tentacle attack.

cvxfreak

DevelopmentArrested said:
Quick questions...

In chapter 1 I averaged S, C and a B.
I didn't find it THAT difficult but not easy by any means.
Should I switch from NORMAL to EASY for Chapter 2?

How many Chapters are there?

Thanks.

I think the notable difficulty jump happens in RE3. The REmake chapter is a bit harder than Zero, but not to the point where you'd have to change difficulty modes.

Kingpen

I just took down the Tyrant to end the REmake chapter. Had to fight the fucker for about 45 minutes on normal to get it done.

How are you guys spending your star points on the weapons? Is there a few certain weapons I should upgrade first to help me out with later chapters. I have upgraded the shotty and the submachine gun to level 2 so far and have 4 stars to spend right now...

Yama

Tenbatsu said:
I don't have Ada mission also.... you need to have high ranking to unlock it?
Complete Raccoon's Destruction 3 with an A or S rank. The two remaining scenarios will become unlocked upon completion. Death's Door (Ada) and Nightmare 2 are the only scenarios unlocked based on ranking.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just beat the game and loved it. The little clip after the credits where you see
Wesker activating the command center he uses in RE4
was pretty awesome. Also I loved how they used like a news report to show Umbrella being convicted for good. But the best part of the game I think was Fourth Survivor - I always liked HUNK, but his remake was simply amazing. It's the radio interference - the police battling the zombies, the radio station's last broadcast, commercials for Umbrella products, your teammates being eaten alive - creepy.

Also, I'm sure everyone knows by now, but you can actually unlock 2 player mode for all the sub-missions (yes, every scenario in the game has coop!). I'm not sure when this happened, I just noticed it now. :lol

Does anybody know what happens if you successfully beat the "Special Stage" after beating all 22 scenarios? The zombie that slides across the floor always makes me laugh haha.

Thanks to trackjacket who gave the heads-up:

Finally some more information on the soundtrack.

6phjnnp.jpg

* Composers: Masafumi Takada, Jun Fukuda (both from GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE, Inc.)
* Price: 3175 Yen (tax included)
* Release date: December 19th, 2007
* Full color booklet
* 45 tracks
* Units produced first will be Limited Editions with special sleeve cases

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Still early in.
I enjoyed Rebecca's side missions. I really liked Richard, but uh... what happend to him?
Didnt we save him, why wasnt he at the helipad with Rebecca, and no one asked where he was? heh

And why was Barry left out entirely?
:lol Why does Capcom hate him? It's like he never existed

Are we excepting REUC as the new canon? It seems to have a bit more cohesiveness to sthe story in how events fit together, are we taking this as the new story flow?

John Harker said:
Still early in.
I enjoyed Rebecca's side missions. I really liked Richard, but uh... what happend to him?
Didnt we save him, why wasnt he at the helipad with Rebecca, and no one asked where he was? heh

And why was Barry left out entirely?
:lol Why does Capcom hate him? It's like he never existed

Are we excepting REUC as the new canon? It seems to have a bit more cohesiveness to sthe story in how events fit together, are we taking this as the new story flow?

No one should accept REUC as canon. Maybe some of the new chapters can be though.

And Richard saves Chris from Neptune and gets eaten later on in RE1 so he's officially dead by the Tyrant battle.

JavaMava

I'm getting this game and plan on having a fun night of booze and co-op with my buddy.

You know inbetween rounds of rock band.

John Harker

Also, can someone refresh my memory on the relationship between Spencer and the Ashfords?

I'm kind of mixed up here, was it Marcus/Spencer and later Birkin who made the T/G Virus, or was it the Ashford family with Alfred for Veronica? Did the Ashfords just fund Umbrella and Spencer run it? Confused.

VegaShinra

I'm a few hrs into the game and all I can say is that Wesker is awesome. The side-missions in the RE:Zero section were awesome. Wesker just acts so cool and unfazed by everything. This is a great game and I hope enough people buy it to show Capcom Wii owners want more Resident Evil lovin'.

gconsole

John Harker said:
Also, can someone refresh my memory on the relationship between Spencer and the Ashfords?

I'm kind of mixed up here, was it Marcus/Spencer and later Birkin who made the T/G Virus, or was it the Ashford family with Alfred for Veronica? Did the Ashfords just fund Umbrella and Spencer run it? Confused.

Ashford, Marcus and Spencer were friend. Then Marcus found the prototype T-Virus from leech experiment. Wesker and Birkin under the order of Spencer stole the virus and killed him.

Later, Ashford seperate himself from umbrella (without clear explaination) and try to create the new bioweapon follow from T-Virus by his own experiment but fail many times before the birth of Alexia and Alfred Ashford.

Dot50Cal

Banned
John Harker said:

Alexander Ashford (
Nosferatu in CVX
) formed Umbrella along with James Marcus and Oswell E. Spencer. It seems that the idea to form a corporation was mostly Oswell's idea. They were basically the 3 figure heads of the company. There was sort of an internal competition between Alexanders daughter Alexia and Birkin / Wesker which culminated in the (fake) death of Alexia. Shortly before this, Alexia and Alfred (the daughter and son of Alexander) found that they were born of an experiment by their father. Soon after they imprisoned their father and experimented on him.

After Alexia went into "hibernation" to bond with the T-Alexia/Veronica virus, the Ashford family went on a long decline as it was only left with Alfred to run things.

There isn't much else known about the relationship between the two though. Its assumed they had a fairly healthy relationship prior to the Ashford family name's decline under the control of Alfred. Spencer is really a mystery character. He's only been referred to very briefly until Umbrella Chronicles.

As for Marcus, he didn't really care what Oswell and Alexander did as long as he had the chance to work on his experiments with the leeches. After finding out that he was planning a revolt to overthrow Oswell, Oswell ordered Wesker and Birkin (the only two Marcus trusted) to kill him and take control over his work. They did, but he comes back to life after many years and thus you have the catalyst for the entire series.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Diablohead said:
They left out Barry Burton, one of the best characters in resident evil? Well you know what that means.

RE6 BELIEVE!

Hes in the files, listed as living. But yeah, sloppy summary on the main scenarios.

Um, how long is this game?

I just finished the third part of the third chapter I think and no new chapter opened up. Am I supposed to complete the side missions in order to open up a new chapter?

Dot50Cal said:
Alexander Ashford (
Nosferatu in CVX
) formed Umbrella along with James Marcus and Oswell E. Spencer.
It was Edward Ashford who was a co-founder, he's Alexander Ashford's father and Alexia and Alfred's grandfather. He died a natural death shortly after the establishment of Umbrella.
EDIT: The newly published timeline from the biohazard UMBRELLA CHRONICLES website says Edward Ashford was infected with the Progenitor Virus. That's what caused his death.

John Harker

Dot50Cal said:
Alexander Ashford (
Nosferatu in CVX
) formed Umbrella along with James Marcus and Oswell E. Spencer. It seems that the idea to form a corporation was mostly Oswell's idea. They were basically the 3 figure heads of the company. There was sort of an internal competition between Alexanders daughter Alexia and Birkin / Wesker which culminated in the (fake) death of Alexia. Shortly before this, Alexia and Alfred (the daughter and son of Alexander) found that they were born of an experiment by their father. Soon after they imprisoned their father and experimented on him.

After Alexia went into "hibernation" to bond with the T-Alexia/Veronica virus, the Ashford family went on a long decline as it was only left with Alfred to run things.

There isn't much else known about the relationship between the two though. Its assumed they had a fairly healthy relationship prior to the Ashford family name's decline under the control of Alfred. Spencer is really a mystery character. He's only been referred to very briefly until Umbrella Chronicles.

As for Marcus, he didn't really care what Oswell and Alexander did as long as he had the chance to work on his experiments with the leeches. After finding out that he was planning a revolt to overthrow Oswell, Oswell ordered Wesker and Birkin (the only two Marcus trusted) to kill him and take control over his work. They did, but he comes back to life after many years and thus you have the catalyst for the entire series.

Great recap, I appreciate that, that settles the pieces for me.
Who originally created the T virus though, was it Marcus with his leeches or Birkin? I know Birkin created the G strain, but something I read in one of these REUC notes made it confusing on who initially created Progenitor/T/G/what-the-Ashfords-created etc

The Progenitor Virus was discovered by Oswell E. Spencer, James Marcus and Edward Ashford (Alexia mentions just Spencer as discoverer in her Queen Ant Report, so it seems he was the most important person in the discovery).

There are different variations of the t-Virus, as the BIOHAZARD CODE:Veronica Complete Version Dissecting True Script explains:

Answer 4
William Birkin made the t-Virus that was developed in the Arklay facility. Other t-Viruses were developed in different facilities and are not related to Birkin's work.

1. Marcus's t-Virus: Mixing the Progenitor Virus with Leech DNA
2. Birkin's t-Virus: Mixing the Progenitor Virus with the Ebola Virus

The G-Virus was discovered in Lisa Trevor after she was implanted with the Nemesis prototype.

Alexander Ashford didn't work on viruses but wanted to recreate the family's glorious founder, Veronica Ashford. He established the Antarctic Facility for that purpose and extracted genes from Veronica's dead body to create Alexia and Alfred (the latter being a failure albeit his having a higher IQ than the average human).
Alexia turned out to be just as much a genius as Veronica was and started her work on the t-Veronica Virus, by implanting the queen ant's gene (in which she found an ancient virus) into the Progenitor Virus. She used her own father as test subject but the experiment was a failure, thus creating Nosferatu.
In order to make the virus work, she had to slow down the cell modification by entering an ultra-low temperature capsule for 15 years.

epa

Whats the f***** point of upgrading the weapons ? I still only get to choose one unlocked weapon besides the standard handgun when I start a scenario and I always start with the same low amount of ammo/capacity even though I've upgraded them, someone please explain this to me.

Amir0x

Banned
Got this game. Bebpo is totally right, this shit is lame. I'm not really into RE fanservice either, so that does nothing for me... I just want good gameplay. This is a pretty mediocre lightgun game (is it accurate to call it a lightgun game?) so far in every way except amount of content.

cvxfreak

Amir0x said:
Got this game. Bebpo is totally right, this shit is lame. I'm not really into RE fanservice either, so that does nothing for me... I just want good gameplay. This is a pretty mediocre lightgun game (is it accurate to call it a lightgun game?) so far in every way except amount of content.

How far are you? I think the RE0 chapter's pretty lame overall. The rest are better because they're more hectic, but if it's technical stuff that bugs you, it's pretty much the same throughout.

shuri

Banned
Time Crisis 4 had to be really bad to get the third of the score of this game. The shooting element just didnt work in this game. The pacing, the speed, it's just feels wrong. It's my worst purchase of the year; I don't feel right recommending it to lightgun games fans; it's honestly more for really hardcore fans of the series who wants more background info about the stories.

shuri said:
Time Crisis 4 had to be really bad to get the third of the score of this game. The shooting element just didnt work in this game. The pacing, the speed, it's just feels wrong. It's my worst purchase of the year; I don't feel right recommending it to lightgun games fans; it's honestly more for really hardcore fans of the series who wants more background info about the stories.
4md2giw.jpg

The Man Inside Me

Seriously though, is it really that bad? I'm totally on the fence about picking it up, and I'm not a big fan of lightgun games nor am I a big RE fan.

Tenbatsu

shuri said:

The game took on a slow pacing so that it allows you amber time to get critical hits and breaking background objects. Its a very technical game and if you're those into fast pace action light gun game, UC is not for you. Overall, UC is a very good shooter IMO.

hclflow

RE:UC certainly is a different breed of light-gun game, no doubt about that.

It's deliberately paced, with enemies that require you to think before you shoot to overcome them efficiently. It nails the atmosphere of the franchise very well. Co-op is a total blast, and the combat further on in the game gets incredibly hectic and flat-out difficult. The boss fights are mostly very well done.

Of the many flaws this game has, a few stick out like sore thumbs:

- Jesus Christ, enough with the quarter-inch shooting gallery targets. This is not fun in any way, shape or form. If you want me to destroy environments, fine, but don't have me shooting up light bulbs and candles from 20 feet away to uncover stuff WHILE MOVING. It's just poor design. I don't know if I'll bother with trying to S-rank everything because of this. It's fucking annoying.

- Goddamnit, don't limit how fast I can pull the trigger on my pistol. Make the enemies tougher, faster, whatever. Just don't make me pull the trigger in a specific rhythmic fashion to get optimal firepower. The combat gets too hectic to have to worry whether I'm shooting at the optimal speed to get the most bullets fired before my throat gets ripped out. Stupid stupid stupid.

- What the hell is up with the pacing? I understand it's a slower game, and I have no problem with that. I rather appreciate the more in-depth combat system. But why does there have to consistently be several seconds of downtime between enemies?

- Framerate drops. Ick, some of them are nasty.

Major flaws aside, RE:UC has been an enjoyable game for me. I'm not an RE story freak by any stretch, but I've had a good time with it. Mind you, I haven't touched it since I picked up Ghost Squad (EVERYONE BUY THIS GAME), but I will get back around to it soon enough.

Xellos

After the RE0 and REmake scenarios, my impressions are that this is great fanservice but not a very good light gun gaming. Not bad, but not very good either. Framerate has major issues, the hit interaction with the zombies isn't very good, and the pacing could have been sped up considerably. HotD 2 did this type of game better back in 1999. The fanservice is great though and I'll probably wind up playing through the game to see everything.

Tenbatsu

Not sure if you guys know about this, but I manage to pull off a 3 hit combo in this game by doing a knife slash -> a shot to the legs -> a bullet to the head for a critical. All this for less than 1.5seconds, its so satisfying. Guess Capcom still like to include combos even in shooting games.

John Harker

Damn this game was hard.
Finally beat it... shitty scores across the board haha

Do you get anything for beating that shooting gallery thing you nunlock after 4th Suvivor?
Its damn hard, and I think I lost the will to beat it after I got to 6/10 and lost. And why did it say it was 2 player, but I can't seem to play it with 2 people?

sw26

So as a Resi fanboy, is this worth picking up solely for the fanservice?

I'm still undecided having read the impressions of the actual gameplay, but I'm really into the Resi plot from the early games.

Kingpen

Yes. As as said before, I am having just as much fun with this Resident Evil game as any others in the series.

I am enjoying how much action this game has in it as well. It is difficult to say the least, but it is fun for sure. The Wii controls are fun.

It seems like we are facing a UC shortage here in europe. After Corruption and Galaxy this might be the next moderatly big title that suffers from NoEs incompetence to produce enough games.

Its not like totally official, but popular online shop spielegrotte.de says they get 25 copies for around 500 pre orders and they don't know yet when they'll receive a new shipment.

Arde5643

slaughterking said:
It seems like we are facing a UC shortage here in europe. After Corruption and Galaxy this might be the next moderatly big title that suffers from NoEs incompetence to produce enough games.

Its not like totally official, but popular online shop spielegrotte.de says they get 25 copies for around 500 pre orders and they don't know yet when they'll receive a new shipment.
ToysRUs is officially out of the game as well in NA - search for it online and you don't see it in ToysRUs' website at all. :/

Fady K

Finally got my copy. Cant wait to start.

Two things however:

1) This was developed by CAVIA?? Why didn't we know about this?? Damn this outsourcing secrecy.

2) The soundtrack was composed by MASAFUMI TAKADA?? DAMN. THATS A SELLING POINT RIGHT THERE. Capcom should have at least mentioned this. Now I want to play it even more. Damn college work...

Top Bottom