• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village: Castle Demo - PS5 Gameplay

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Am i the only one who hates that RE is basically a FPS now?
It has had first person shooter elements since the PS1 days with Survivor and you can see a couple more up until Darkside Chronicles. They’ve made changes to the games to keep it going. Revelations 2 was the last third person RE, so it’s not like they’ve forgotten about that type of gameplay. Village is also the final game in Ethan’s story.

Last edited:
What a beautiful looking interior of that 🏰, even on base PS4. Almost felt sad it’s filled with bloodthirsty witch-vampires and such, wish I could just casually explore it without stress. Again, most efficient formula proved itself again - if you’re not forced to fight, just run from danger.

At first, I did, but now it's kinda mixed feelings. This could be a horrible idea, but I'd like to see them split teams, like COD has black ops and MW. Every other release we get the classic 3rd person game, and the 1st person one the next go around.

Astral Dog

At first, I did, but now it's kinda mixed feelings. This could be a horrible idea, but I'd like to see them split teams, like COD has black ops and MW. Every other release we get the classic 3rd person game, and the 1st person one the next go around.
They are already doing exactly that, after RE7, REmake 2 and 3 were third person, the next Resident Evil for Switch surely gonna be third person as well. 9 we don't know but i bet they are gonna return to third person for that one as well.

Third person fans just don't know better but complain and trash the new perspective, but it works very very well for Ethan's adventures 👍

Last edited:
They are already doing exactly that, after RE7, REmake 2 and 3 were third person, the next Resident Evil for Switch surely gonna be third person as well. 9 we don't know but i bet they are gonna return to third person for that one as well.

Third person fans just don't know better but complain and trash the new perspective, but it works very very well for Ethan's adventures 👍
Holy shit, your right! I wouldn't mind the back and forth between the two POV's. Although I wouldn't mind playing the OG, over the top, tank controls from the original ones.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The vitriol for first person perspective is pretty funny. I think Capcom is killing it with this franchise lately. I absolutely love the switch-off between third person and first, as well as remakes vs new entries in the series. Best of both worlds.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

There's a RE for Switch?

Astral Dog

Holy shit, your right! I wouldn't mind the back and forth between the two POV's. Although I wouldn't mind playing the OG, over the top, tank controls from the original ones.
Yeah would be cool, loved replaying RE0 and 1 last year <3 although both VII and REmake 2 take from that formula and modernize it, Capcom will continue making great games at least even if its not fixed camera.

Resident Evil third person is alive as well just sharing the spotlight with first person Ethan. i love both as long as its done well and scary 🧟‍♂️💗

Astral Dog

There's a RE for Switch?
It was leaked on September and talked by Dusk Golem, who leaked lots of stuff about Village before reveal.

OUTRAGE is the codename, made with REngine(wich was already adapted for Ghosts and Monster Hunter) should come to other systems later as well and made in the same style as Code Veronica/Revelations2(so main' game but not numbered) im excited to see what it is 😁🧟‍♂️

SuperGooey

We are getting OTS and FPS side-by-side, and I think that's a great for variety sake. We just got the OTS third person RE2/RE3 remakes, now RE8 in first person. Not sure what perspective RE9 will be, but I think it's safe to assume that Outrage and RE4R will be OTS, so I wouldn't stress.

Now, just give us fixed-camera in addition to those two RE styles, and there is something for everyone.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We are getting OTS and FPS side-by-side, and I think that's a great for variety sake. We just got the OTS third person RE2/RE3 remakes, now RE8 in first person. Not sure what perspective RE9 will be, but I think it's safe to assume that Outrage and RE4R will be OTS, so I wouldn't stress.

Now, just give us fixed-camera in addition to those two RE styles, and there is something for everyone.
I'm still waiting on my Vampire Lady dating sim.

Tall sexy lady lifts you up high nd shows you her beautiful big cleavage which gives you instant boner and then she kills you with her wolverine claws right away. This is by far most brutal player death in RE history.

Astral Dog

I keep hearing this and it's kinda weird because to me I never had a sense of fear at all from RE7, and I played in VR.
In Fact I've laughed twice and rolled my eyes at both games now, Baby Doll dropping from the shelf in RE7 & the body dropping in the dungeon in RE8
The Family was more comical then anything too
Like I said a week ago, after playing the Village Demo I booted up the RE2remake and going through the corridors of the Police Station still has that unnerving atmosphere even though I'm fully aware of what ahead
And it's something RE7 & 8 Completely lacks

Yeah I wasn't over keen on it when it first released.
Another comment because its fun and i love discussing Resident Evil :p

Scaryness is subjective, RE7 is scary in the same way the EVIL DEAD (1 and 2) is scary, if you thought that movie was funny you aren't gonna find RE7 scary at all. But thats not the point.

It nails the feeling of an horror movie perfectly, with Resident Evil 5 and 6,the games are designed to appeal to action movie and game fans first and foremost, with RE7, instead is is about appealing to horror movie and horror game fans, from the way the game is designed, the setting, the pacing, the presentation, antagonists, the soundtrack, i might call it a whole different genre from the action REs despite being the same series and sharing some elements, its about exploring this dirty, hideous house and find out what happened with this crazy family, about facing this horror alone.

All of it is Resident Evil and has fans, there is also the in between like Revelations 2 and 4 that while clearly action games, are presented as horror themed with their slower paced areas.

In that way despite its obvious flaws, RE7 is clearly a success for many people, its pretty funny and interesting to see some, people playing the VILLAGE demo for example and judging it like an action game/fps, thats not what its about at all. the balance of horror, exploration and action that is part of the series "dna" is there, im 100% sure its gonna be one of the best titles in the series when all said and done 🧟‍♂️🐺🏰

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I just dropped in to say I am so glad some companies are doing Demos again. For PC it starts from 1st May and they extended it to last a week.

I love everything third person but am not so hot on First person Horror, too scary! :(
But I am loving RE franchise so god bless Capcom for this.

Top Bottom