• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Second biggest physical launch - UK

Stuart360

So if if understand correctly Xbox is doomed because physical sales of REVIII is 80%-20% for Playstation, by physicals sales for Returnal are not important because PS5 is digital....Talking about cherry picking, right?
Yeah just going to post something similar. This thread, and the returnal thread, has some of the same users posting completely opposite viewpoints lol.
Wasnt there already evidence that Xbox users game sales are even higher digital than Playstation?, i'm sure that was discussed on here before. Plus Resi Evil 8, and most new games for that matter, are not even on Gamepass.

Dane

First brand to mass promote online, first to sell digital versions, first to promote digital versions of the consoles with sizeable sales (One S All Digital and Series S), also Zhuge said years ago that Digital marketshare sales on Xbox were bigger than Playstation. Also to consider the marketplace for VPNs and that apparently they were giving a huge microsoft rewards points for pre orders.

I've seen owners of Fat and One S models going exactly to Series S than Series X, which is exactly the aimed public at.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
First brand to mass promote online, first to sell digital versions, first to promote digital versions of the consoles with sizeable sales (One S All Digital and Series S), also Zhuge said years ago that Digital marketshare sales on Xbox were bigger than Playstation. Also to consider the marketplace for VPNs and that apparently they were giving a huge microsoft rewards points for pre orders.

I've seen owners of Fat and One S models going exactly to Series S than Series X, which is exactly the aimed public at.
That's not proof, that is hearsay and from 'years ago'.....

yazenov

Not official numbers but it seems it could be even higher on Xbox. Wouldn’t be surprising at all

Dude, even if you presume that Xbox sales are higher in digital sales, factor in that PS5 still has the higher user base which offsets this so called advantage and also the fact that Xbox is irrelevant outside the US and UK which makes your argument mute. The notion that digital will somehow change the ratio is wishful thinking.

I do wonder when and if we get digital numbers , and the ratio is more or less the same, what will be your goal post or excuse for such a lopsided sales ratio towards the Playstation?

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Same thing for Returnal, I bet. Playstation gamers are waiting for it to hit PS Plus.

Naw.

MLB The Show and Returnal came out in April...

That PSN chart is interesting as hell....MLB The Show, Outriders and Returnal in the top 5?

Last edited:

Stuart360

Dude, even if you presume than Xbox sales are higher in digital sales, factor in that PS5 still has the higher user base which offsets this so called advantage and also fact that Xbox is irrelevant outside the US and UK which makes your argument mute. The notion that digital will somehow change the ratio is wishful thinking.

I do wonder when and if we get digital numbers , and the ratio is more or less the same, what will be your goal post or excuse for such a lopsided sales ratio towards the Playstation?
Depends how high percentage wise Xbox users by digital. I mean take Outriders for example, similar split to Resi 8, yet one of the games launched day and date on Gamepass, and one of them didnt. What does that tell you?, i know what it tells me.

Dr Bass

80% of sales were on PlayStation!

#Dominancestation

This is exactly the danger of Game Pass I have been stating for awhile on this board. The idea that games are not worth buying, leading to unsustainable development costs for bigger productions and thereby making them far less common in the future.

I wonder if this 80% number is indicative of the mental model shifting for Xbox gamers really thinking they won't buy new software at regular prices because of Game Pass?

jroc74

What concerns me here, is where are the last gen sales. I mean....I know we have new consoles and people are starved to buy them...but has there just been some crazy loss of interest in games in the UK outside of the hardcore?

Like everyone who was interested in buying games buys a ps5 and buys the game for that.....Theres millions of PS4s and xboxes isnt there that should/would want to buy this? I'm a bit puzzled.
Why would this be concerning? lol.

As a consumer wouldnt you want current gen to get moved to faster, last gen to get left behind sooner? Why make shiny new hardware and still have last gen games to play on it?

For the folks thats still on last gen, the next gen version, exclusives will be there whenever they get a PS5, Series console.

I remember getting consoles with a few years left before the gen ended, its not so bad.

If anything this is just proof that devs, publishers can focus more on current gen. take advantage of the new hardware.

Last edited:

MOTM

Banned
Dude, even if you presume than Xbox sales are higher in digital sales, factor in that PS5 still has the higher user base which offsets this so called advantage and also fact that Xbox is irrelevant outside the US and UK which makes your argument mute. The notion that digital will somehow change the ratio is wishful thinking.

What are you on about ? 😂

Im talking about Xbox being close to 100% digital. Meaning evein if 99% of physical copies are sold on PS5 it doesn’t really matter. There’s almost nobody buying physical on the other console.

Do you think it’s relevant to compare PS5 physical sales with PC physical sales for the same game? No. You know why? Because PC is 99.99% digital.

Now take a deep breath, no need to get worked up.

Stuart360

Gamepass IS having an effect, but not the way some of you think (hope) it is. Imo Gamepass has just hastened Xbox users into going full digital. If Playstation users are already around 80% full digital, i wouldnt be at all surprised if Xbox are alrady at 90%, probably even higher to be honest.

yazenov

Depends how high percentage wise Xbox users by digital. I mean take Outriders for example, similar split to Resi 8, yet one of the games launched day and date on Gamepass, and one of them didnt. What does that tell you?, i know what it tells me.

We do have actual leaked numbers for some of the Capcom multiplatform games such as Monster hunter world, and Ace Attorny on all platforms. Those numbers show that that is no such thing as Xbox digital sales advantage, trust me.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I know anyhing I could say its not a proof because it is Xbox.
Awww I didn't mean it like that. I just mean that it's not hard numbers or percentages or anything we can look at to see where the industry is now.
It's not meant to be offensive or anything.

Stuart360

We do have actual leaked numbers for some of the Capcom multiplatform games such as Monster hunter world, and Ace Attorny of all platfrom. Those numbers show that that is no such think as Xbox digital sales advantage, trust me.
Alright then (as l;eaks have never been wrong), explain the Outriders and Resi 8 situatuion then. One of the game launching on Gamepass, one of them isnt, but the same split.
That should tell you all you need to know.

yazenov

Alright then (as l;eaks have never been wrong), explain the Outriders and Resi 8 situatuion then. One of the game launching on Gamepass, one of them isnt, but the same split.

Apples to oranges, different games in different genres.

I'll compare RE8 to RE7. Both are in the same genre, same series, and direct sequels.

RE7, 73% in favor of PS4
RE8, 80% in favor of PS

Now you explain to me why its much higher now than last gen?

Last edited:

hroerekr

Returnal dropped to 15.

grossed out seinfeld GIF by HULU

I hope they realize the "premium price" is the problem before is too late.

Stuart360

Apples to oranges, different games in different genres.

I'll compare RE8 to RE7. Both are in the same genre, same series, and direct sequels.

RE7, 73% in favor of PS4
RE8, 80% in favor of PS

Now you explain to me why its much higher now than last gen?
Well Gmepass is what 4 years old?, sounds about right to me.
This isnt the first time its been talked about Xbox users being a higher percentage digital compared to Playstation.
IMO the Outriders and Resi 8 situation proves it. But perople will see what they want to see.

GHG

Yeah just going to post something similar. This thread, and the returnal thread, has some of the same users posting completely opposite viewpoints lol.
Wasnt there already evidence that Xbox users game sales are even higher digital than Playstation?, i'm sure that was discussed on here before. Plus Resi Evil 8, and most new games for that matter, are not even on Gamepass.

If the ratios are consistent across the two platforms then this still doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Unless you're going to tell me that a higher proportion of Xbox gamers tend to buy digitally in comparison to those on playstation platforms?

edit:

Well Gmepass is what 4 years old?, sounds about right to me.
This isnt the first time its been talked about Xbox users being a higher percentage digital compared to Playstation.
IMO the Outriders and Resi 8 situation proves it. But perople will see what they want to see.

Is there any data that supports this?

Last edited:

Stuart360

If the ratios are consistent across the two platforms then this still doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Unless you're going to tell me that a higher proportion of Xbox gamers tend to buy digitally in comparison to those on playstation platforms?

edit:

Is there any data that supports this?
Well like i have said nuemrous times already in this thread, the Outriders and Resi 8 situation supports that theory pretty well.

jroc74

Ahh yes, Outriders...the game that disappeared from the #1 top paid games on the Xbox store after a week...

And kept dropping on the most played chart. Meanwhile:

Using Game Pass for this will never look good. Despite MLB The Show, XBO version, being the top paid game right now on Xbox.

When I saw the threads about Outriders being the #1 top paid game on Xbox I said too soon, folks. Too soon...

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Wow. Total domination

this trend has to be worrisome for Phil, no wonder he spent so much for Bethesda

this is even worse than the start of last gen. Ouch.

I wonder if this would make it easier if Sony decided to buy a huge Japanese publisher like Capcom or Square

Stuart360

Ahh yes, Outriders...the game that disappeared from the #1 top paid games on the Xbox store after a week...

And kept dropping on the most played chart. Meanwhile:

Using Game Pass for this will never look good. Despite MLB The Show, XBO version, being the top paid game right now on Xbox.

When I saw the threads about Outriders being the #1 top paid game on Xbox I said too soon, folks. Too soon...
Ok cool, but whats that got to do with what i said?. I mean you said it yorself, Outriders was the no.1 game on launch week, and we are talking about launch numbers here.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I also wonder if the GamePass model could actually end up really hurting Xbox software sales

it kind of pre conditions Xbox consumers to not even buy games anymore, which is a bad precedent IMHO.

their user base will just sign up for GamePass as the only thing they use the platform for

jroc74

Ok cool, but whats that got to do with what i said?. I mean you said it yorself, Outriders was the no.1 game on launch week, and we are talking about launch numbers here.

Look at MLB the Show positions on top paid vs most played:

XBO version, top paid game.

XBO version, 7th; Standard Series S/X version, 14th on most played.

Standard Series S/X version....nowhere on the top paid.

The numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
RE is an established series that caters to its fans. The sales are in line with RE7, so I think it will sell as much as Capcom expected.

It will not pull a Monster Hunter World numbers where it broke out of the series mold and brought new fans to the series.
At least in UK RE8 sold better than RE7 at debut... sadly the guy didn’t share how much more.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Look at MLB the Show positions on top paid vs most played:

XBO version, top paid game.

Standard Series S/X version, 14th on most played.

Standard Series S/X version....nowhere on the top paid.

The numbers speak for themselves.
Again what has this got to do with what i have been talking about in this thread?

Elios83

People thought that GamePass would damage full priced sales of games also available on the service.
But it's actually way worse than that, Xbox users are becoming like mobile users, they don't want to pay for software outside of the subscription price.
If skipping major releases because they're full priced becomes a trend I doubt that publishers will be happy going forward unless Microsoft steps in and pays the bills to put everything on GP.

Last edited:

Stuart360

People thought that GamePass would damage full priced sales of games also available on the service.
But it's actually way worse than that, Xbox users are becoming like mobile users, they don't want to pay for software outside of the subscription price.
If skipping major releases because they're full priced becomes a trend I doubt that publishers will be happy going forward unless Microsoft steps in and pay the bills to put everything on GP.
Gamepass has just conditioned Xbox users to to buy digital. Resi 8 and Outriders situation proves it.
Keep seeing what you want to see.

Interfectum

Just wait until MS starts pumping out a ton of Game Pass games. Retail and digital game sales are boned on Xbox. Either get on Game Pass or don't bother.

GHG

Well like i have said nuemrous times already in this thread, the Outriders and Resi 8 situation supports that theory pretty well.

Is there any data to support your theory or is it all based on assumptions?

Retail sales being down for a single platform doesn't automatically mean digital sales are up by the same proportion on that platform.

Stuart360

Is there any data to support your theory or is it all based on assumptions?

Retail sales being down for a single platform doesn't automatically mean digital sales are up by the same proportion on that platform.
Well if someone wants to give a fair reason for why 2 games would get the same split between Xbox and Playstation, while one of them is launching day and date on Gamepass, and the other one isnt. I'm all ears.

Neo_game

I also wonder if the GamePass model could actually end up really hurting Xbox software sales

it kind of pre conditions Xbox consumers to not even buy games anymore, which is a bad precedent IMHO.

their user base will just sign up for GamePass as the only thing they use the platform for

I agree. Though companies like Activision and EA make billions of $ from DLC and mtx. I may be wrong but I do not think Xbox gamers are much into SP games like Sony and Nintendo.

sainraja

Awesome. I hope this game is wildly successful for Capcom because they did an amazing job of balancing the elements of RE4 but still retaining an intense survival horror vibe. More success might mean that Capcom will cement survival horror/exploration into all future RE titles, no more toying around with stuff like RE5 & 6. I keep thinking about RE8. I loved my playthrough but wasn't sure if I'd jump right back in but I definitely am. Capcom really nailed it, the game just feels damn good to play and it's stunning how well it performs on a base PS4.

Capcom are truly masters of their craft.
In my opinion, they need to go back to the third person perspective. Or have it switch from third person to first person when shooting or just allow them both. For me, it doesn't work as a FPS.

Last edited:

jroc74

Again what has this got to do with what i have been talking about in this thread?
Wasnt this discussion about digital sales being higher on Xbox? For The Show:

The Standard Series S/X version isnt even on the top paid chart on Xbox. XBO version is #1.

The PS4 and PS5 version of MLB is #1 on PSN.

The info is right there for anyone to see.

Last edited:
Fantastic game with some flaws. It deserves to sell well.

It does not feel like a resident evil but that is not a big issue. I still believe it should be its own franchise instead of slapping that RE brand name

I believe that Capcom is the best 3rd party developer

Last edited:

Stuart360

Wasnt this discussion about digital sales being higher on Xbox? For The Show:

The Series S/X version isnt even on the top paid chart on Xbox.

The PS4 and PS5 version of MLB is #1 on PSN.

The info is right there for anyone to see.
But what has MLB The Show got to do with what i'm talking about?. Did you forget the game was also on Gamepass from launch?

Riky

$MSFT
The game was £43 on CDkeys on launch day for Xbox and you got 6250 reward points through the dash for it, so it worked out actually cheaper to buy digital, that's what I and everyone I know did.

Top Bottom