• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

-Borrow some of the Naughty Gods.Engine and some of the dev team.
-Weapon wheel.
-Stop trying to make Resistance COD, make resitance, fucking RESITANCE.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Graphics that don't fucking suck. Hello, Jell-O water!

Bosses that don't suck.

... Frankly, improve everything. Coming from Resistance 2, I was bored of the singleplayer. The versus multiplayer was terrible (only so many times I could "SWARM THE BEACON! DEFEND THE BEACON! SWARM THE BEACON!" for 10K kills *which I only have 1-3K of* before going insane).

Co-op, more maps, less same maps of different order. Less having to do them over and over and over to unlock abilities and weapons.

Jubs

Did they ever explain why the Chimera no longer needed to be in a cold environment to survive, or did I miss that point when I played through R2? I remember - maybe incorrectly - in R1 the Chimera had to live in cold environments, or they'd die from overheating. So when I was playing R2, I thought it was weird how we were fighting chimera in the sweltering climate of Louisiana, and the chimera seemed totally fine. Did they retcon that little tidbit about the cold temperature?

McLovin

3 requests.
1. R3 opens up with Hale waking up with a head ache.. he's pissed as hell. Has a fully healed scar where the bullet went through. For some reason(you don't have to explain why) he's back to normal(in full control of himself).
2. Polish (rework water & borrow some tech from other devs.)
3. Bring back weapons wheel.

R2 was one of the biggest disappointments in recent times for me. Just make it easier to list pros and cons I guess.

Pros:
+ Music, the original lacked in this department and with 2 they did a much better job of making things feel more action packed. Lot of soundtrack reminded me of the action sequences from Aliens.
+ Animation in SP. The motion capture they did really was well done and looked great in the single player for all the characters running around. Even the enemy Chimera moved much more fluid in the SP
+ Aiming/Iron Sights. Accuracy was a bit more important this time around and you wanted to actually aim to shoot better unlike the first game which was all hip firing.
+ More impact, enemies reacted more realistically to being hit that it put a bit more oomph to your shots, along with improvements in projectile speeds also made things feel more lively in combat.
+Coop mode: this was the best part of the game really sadly..... it was pretty addicting and took up most of my time. Really without it I would have likely just chucked the game aside early on.
+ Cinematic presentation, I actually liked the cutscenes for the most part, I just have to say it would have been good to also use the narration style used in the first game as well to further help develop the games storyline. The stuff with the radio show for example was great.
+ The attack on America/Tour of America thing was a great idea, though some of the chosen locations were a bit.... meh? It was neat to be in America and have giant alien battleships overhead and such, and going through chicago... kick ass.

Cons:
- 80 Players multiplayer! What a crock of shit. It was completely pointless..... it worked well, but it was just a waste of time. The maps were all awful and felt like big open clusterfucks since your supposed to be accommodating so many players. Again what was the point of so many players when the game basically forced you into small areas of the maps to fight enemy squads? It never seemed like you were in a 80 player battle, it felt no different from playing a 20 player game. Would have preferred far less players, for more improvements in map design.
- MP weapon balance: so many of the weapons in MP were just utterly useless, and with players choosing the starting weapon, you always saw the same 2-3 weapons cause of how crappy most of the other guns were.
- MP graphics: They improved the visuals overall in the SP, but the MP portion was just seriously ugly. Stiff animations, shitty textures, etc. It basically looked like the first game with improved lighting.
- The whole MP set up: Choosing weapons instead of finding them? The berserks were also awfully designed with higher ranked players having a huge advantage in power with their berserks. The nuke launcher thingie was one shot kill, stupid idea. Force fields? Ugh. Early on players had unlocked lots of shit and they had clear advantages in MP.
- Copying Call of Duty for SP. The whole design of the campaign was basically just COD, 2 weapons only, health regen, linear, scripted, ugh. Really Resistance 1 was much more like Halo in the gameplay than anything, but with R2 they completely flipped that around and went with trying to make the game COD like.
- Boss Battles: Only 1 of them was actually a battle, rest were pretty much just follow a pattern type deals which was lame.
- Final Boss: Seriously that was it? Shoot the little electric ball thingies?
- The visuals: The game was such a mess in the visual department. You had so many instances of some highly detailed textured rock or wall that was right ontop of something with a PS2 era looking texture. You had wall textures that combined with blurry messes in spots that just was sad...... Some levels were definitely impressive, but then you had levels that just looked like something out of the first game. The quality of visuals just bounced around so much that it was jarring at times. I would be wowed by something one minute, then cringing at something else the next minute.
- No vehicles this time around? Awwww
- Weapons were the best part of Resistance, the whole 2 weapons only thing completely killed it since generally the game placed the best weapons for that area of the game, right in that spot. Players would generally just switch out quick, use up the weapon and jump back to a normal weapon like the carbines for most of the game. Like R&C, resistance was neat cause of the unique weapons and being able to switch out when you wanted. Here in R2 you were often penalized for carrying a unique weapon since ammo was so limited for it.

I do hope R3 comes out, and I hope it fixes lot of what went wrong, and as has been said before, hope it has a bit more polish on it than 2 did.

Jubs said:
Did they ever explain why the Chimera no longer needed to be in a cold environment to survive, or did I miss that point when I played through R2? I remember - maybe incorrectly - in R1 the Chimera had to live in cold environments, or they'd die from overheating. So when I was playing R2, I thought it was weird how we were fighting chimera in the sweltering climate of Louisiana, and the chimera seemed totally fine. Did they retcon that little tidbit about the cold temperature?

They did actually explain this, not sure if it was in R2, or the PSP game, but basically they had made improvements to the "evolutionary" technology. Same reason they didn't need the giant conversion labs anymore to create Chimera and could use the little spinner thingies and just create cocoons and shit.

Bricfa

Make it on the PS4.

Do something else meanwhile.

How bout an RPG. I bet Insomniac could make a kickass RPG.

Kittonwy

Banned
Priorities for Insomniac Games:

Graphics:
HDR lighting (GET WITH THE MOTHERFUCKING TIMES FOR FUCK'S SAKE, THREE GAMES RELEASED SO FAR AND STILL YOU HAVEN'T MANAGED TO INCLUDE A FUCKING STANDARD CURRENT GEN LIGHTING EFFECT).
REAL-TIME self-shadowing and shadowing for objects and characters in the environment, if you put something in the game, it should cast and receive real-time shadows, if I run through any shadow I expect my character and my gun to reflect that.
Do not overuse bloom, it's so last-gen.
Water should be reflective.
Ambient occlusion.
It's not how much you can port to the SPUs under the hood but what the player can actually experience visually.

Gameplay:
Smaller reticle.
Smaller spread for recoil.
Give grenade weight, R2 grenades were like throwing beachballs.
BETTER AI.
More cover opportunities.
If you're going to put a boss in the level, make it mobile, give it a pattern, give it a weakspot that opens up under certain conditions, make it more of a puzzle.
Co-op must be played with characters that are endearing to the players and not just some random characters, and as few bullet sponge enemies as possible, make them smart, make the players learn how to flank and work together.
MP characters need to be much less generic.
No more single-minded rushing one-hit kill enemies, water enemies need to be killable by bullets or by electrifying the water such as shooting a powerline.
Freedom of movement, any waist high fence should be able to be jumped over, invisible walls should be kept to a minimum and limited to the map borders and high walls.

Sound:
Have proper gun sounds in games.
Hire a proper composer who can put together an epic orchestral score.
Understated is NEVER the answer, aurally you should never aim to underwhelm.

Story:
Cinematics should be brief and impactful.
Keep the story immersive by using in-game dialogue.
Keep the player in control while the scene is played out as much as possible, every time you go to pre-recorded cinematics, you remove the player from interacting with the game.

Most importantly, listen to people who are giving you good, honest advice instead of fans who just want to suck up to you. We're not harsh because we hate you, we're harsh because we want you to make the best game possible, we want a blockbuster, not a middle-of-the-road "it's good but it's not great" game.
Indifferent2.gif

A.R.K

-More like R1
-Weapon wheel
-Darker/organic design
-co-op through campaign mode deigned from ground-up (upto 4 players, there are plenty of soldiers fighting along side, why not use them. I want a PS3 exclusive which would let me play a co-op campaign with my friends!!). There can still be other co-op modes (ala firefight)
-Borrow ND/GG's tech for streaming/lighting engine and whatever else to make it a standout title
-Have some weight to movement/weapons (like KZ, yes I love it). For me competitive R2 was totally twitchy and unplayable as compared to R1 which was better
-Video cap/screen cap for MP
-Improve story telling, get player involved in the story
-Normal MP (don't try too much just make it more fun to play)
-Intelligent boss fights

I know Insomniac can deliver it :)

KZObsessed

oh how about guns which don't feel like toys.

The gunplay in R2 MP was so unsatisfying. You just hold R1 down until one of you dies while letting the auto aim do the work.

The Carbine actually felt like you were shooting a bunch of pixels. The Rossmore didn't feel like it was shooting anything at all.

gbovo

-Get better artists! The chimera don't look menacing, they just look ugly (and not in a good way either).
-Dynamic lighting, dynamic lighting, dynamic lighting.
-Significantly better effects (bullet trails, muzzle flash, sparks, whatever).
-More varied color palette. Piss-yellow is NOT a good color scheme for a game.
-Bring back weapon wheel from first game.

John

- Weapons were the best part of Resistance, the whole 2 weapons only thing completely killed it since generally the game placed the best weapons for that area of the game, right in that spot. Players would generally just switch out quick, use up the weapon and jump back to a normal weapon like the carbines for most of the game.

This is why I want an FPS with no "normal" weaponry. Only really neat things that don't work out as expected until you're familiar with them. Only creative things. Insomniac would be the guys to do it, but they haven't delivered on this yet.

-viper-

Banned
Hydrargyrus said:
Ah!, one more thing:

No more 1-million-online-kills trophy or this kind of imposible trophies that no one can get
who cares. its only a fucking trophy. its just a waste of time. at the end of the day, it isn't going to benefit you in anyway.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
You should hitch a ride to the Chimeran home world for this one. I didn't play R2 yet, so if something like that happened, or something that ruled it out happened, then forget it, but I think heading to the Chimeran part of the galaxy would open up their creative juices.

Also, more focus on single player. I'm a single player only type person, and when I heard the bad reviews of the single player I canceled my preorder and have still not purchased the game. I will when I can get it for $20. I loved the first game too, so I was bummed to hear that the single player was a mess.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:

Graphics:
HDR lighting (GET WITH THE MOTHERFUCKING TIMES FOR FUCK'S SAKE, THREE GAMES RELEASED SO FAR AND STILL YOU HAVEN'T MANAGED TO INCLUDE A FUCKING STANDARD CURRENT GEN LIGHTING EFFECT).
REAL-TIME self-shadowing and shadowing for objects and characters in the environment, if you put something in the game, it should cast and receive real-time shadows, if I run through any shadow I expect my character and my gun to reflect that.
Ambient occlusion.
It's not how much you can port to the SPUs under the hood but what the player can actually experience visually.

Gameplay:
Smaller reticle.
BETTER AI.
If you're going to put a boss in the level, make it mobile, give it a pattern, give it a weakspot that opens up under certain conditions, make it more of a puzzle.
Co-op must be played with characters that are endearing to the players and not just some random characters, and as few bullet sponge enemies as possible, make them smart, make the players learn how to flank and work together.
No more single-minded rushing one-hit kill enemies, water enemies need to be killable by bullets or by electrifying the water such as shooting a powerline.
Freedom of movement, any waist high fence should be able to be jumped over, invisible walls should be kept to a minimum and limited to the map borders and high walls.

Sound:

Story:
Keep the player in control while the scene is played out as much as possible, every time you go to pre-recorded cinematics, you remove the player from interacting with the game.

Most importantly, listen to people who are giving you good, honest advice instead of fans who just want to suck up to you. We're not harsh because we hate you, we're harsh because we want you to make the best game possible, we want a blockbuster, not a middle-of-the-road "it's good but it's not great" game.
Indifferent2.gif

damn good post.

VegaShinra said:
More like the first game and less like the sequel.

Straight to the point, I like it. More emphasis on the campaign and less on the RPG/ shooter multiplayer. I still can't believe R2 was as bad as it was.

-Go back to the story telling in Resistance 1.

-Go back to the Multiplayer structure from Resistance 1.

-Re-introduce some of the original Resistance 1 weapons, most of the R2 were shit.

-Soviet/europe location.

-Possible choices of multiple paths to follow a la Gears of war, to break linearity to a certain point.

AND PLEASE for the love of god let it NOT be true
that chimera are some alien species
. Its as if Insomniac has a boner for making most if not all their games
centered around space/galaxy/aliens.

I was really hoping the twist would be that it was a man-made virus/evolution, not some bullshit about a race from out of space.... but when I found it out, I just facepalmed with a faint crying 'nooo'.

Resistance 2 was a game that was just trying too hard at doing what every other game is doing, seriously, it DOES NOT help your multiplayer component by thinking its a genius move make it a mash between Call of Duty meets halo.

STICK to your original MP and built on it! Dont throw everything out of the window because those games are 'trendy'. It just makes your multiplayer seem more tasteless.

I really hate it that Insomniac atempted so hard making R2 appear as another "game". Really tasteless.

MrPliskin

Banned
For starters ignore everything Kittonwy posts and says, I don't think he knows what priority is, nor do I think he'd be capable of putting a game in the right direction.

First he complained that Grenades didn't go far enough compared to R: FoM, now they feel like beach balls? :lol He has to be a joke character.

PS: Ignore everything he says about graphics. Let him play Killzone / Uncharted instead, since that's pretty much what he's asking for.

EmSeta

highluxury said:
-Go back to the story telling in Resistance 1.

-Re-introduce some of the original Resistance 1 weapons, most of the R2 were shit.

-Soviet/europe location.

-Possible choices of multiple paths to follow a la Gears of war, to break linearity to a certain point.

AND PLEASE for the love of god let it NOT be true
that chimera are some alien species
. Its as if Insomniac has a boner for making most if not all their games
centered around space/galaxy/aliens.

I was really hoping the twist would be that it was a man-made virus/evolution, not some bullshit about a race from out of space.... but when I found it out, I just facepalmed with a faint crying 'nooo'.

Resistance 2 was a game that was just trying too hard at doing what every other game is doing, seriously, it DOES NOT help your multiplayer component by thinking its a genius move make it a mash between Call of Duty meets halo.

STICK to your original MP and built on it! Dont throw everything out of the window because those games are 'trendy'. It just makes your multiplayer seem more tasteless.

I really hate it that Insomniac atempted so hard making R2 appear as another "game". Really tasteless.
This sums it up pretty well.

R1 was, although unpolished, a much more interesting experience than R2.

McLovin

MrPliskin said:
For starters ignore everything Kittonwy posts and says, I don't think he knows what priority is, nor do I think he'd be capable of putting a game in the right direction.

First he complained that Grenades didn't go far enough compared to R: FoM, now they feel like beach balls? :lol He has to be a joke character.

PS: Ignore everything he says about graphics. Let him play Killzone / Uncharted instead, since that's pretty much what he's asking for.
No.. his list was pretty damn good. The graphics did need polish and the water looked and moved like jello. That game would have looked 10 times better with better looking water.

As far as MP goes I think they need to scale back the number of players to improve the visuals. The also need to focus on making well balanced stages. The MP from R1 was way more addicting and I played it for months. I only played R2's mp for like a week tops.

John

highluxury said:
They absolutely NEED to keep the kind of online co-op they did. It's the only thing like it around. It's only averagely entertaining as it is now, but it could be improved so well.

Honestly it's the only thing about Resistance that fully says "this is a new idea and worth getting this game for."

John said:
They absolutely NEED to keep the kind of online co-op they did. It's the only thing like it around. It's only averagely entertaining as it is now, but it could be improved so well.

Honestly it's the only thing about Resistance that fully says "this is a new idea and worth getting this game for."

CO-OP can stay, but R1 MP positively needs to return. They have to build on those 2 components.

Oh, and Insomniac would be doing themselves a favour cutting down on 'listening to their fans' way too much. Its pretty much the main reason why Resistance 2 ended up the way it did.

... You may take 'pride in absorbing feedback' from your community/fanbase, but honestly most of the time fans dont even know what they want themselves which usually grants messed up results (like you see in R2) trying hard to please EVERYONE.

I just hope Insomniac has learned from this for their own sake.

Ditch the shitty co-op and put some proper co-op in there. Or better yet, wait a year before releasing a new game and put BOTH SP and multiplayer co-op in.

Split screen play is an absolute must. Four players. Halo and CoD do it, and there's no excuse why you shouldn't.

Give us the weapon wheel back. I felt like R2 was playing itself: when I needed a rocket launcher, SHAZAM, there it is! Time for a shotgun? Why, I just ran out of carbine ammo, and fancy that, here are those invisible enemies susceptible to shotgun blasts! I am fully capable of deciding what I want to use when I want to use it, thank you very much.

Other than that? I loved R2's single player. It's still as fun as ever, despite some stupid choices. And I thought the game looked stunning. Didn't bother with the multiplayer or co-op because they just weren't as good as what the first game offered. I really don't get the SP hate, but R2 simply can't compete in sheer volume to games like Halo. There just aren't enough options.

(I'm still waiting for a co-op patch/download. I beat the living shit out of Resistance FOUR times, three times with friends, because of the split-screen co-op.)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
mintylurb said:
We all know who's gonna get screwed if Insomniac hires Ferris..
Im not Ferris so dont look at me :/

I'm not a big fan of the weapon wheel in MP, it's nice to have access to all the weapons, but it's too complex to use in MP. If you map it to triangle, you can't move any more since you only have access to one stick. If you map it to a trigger, it's a shame because there are better things to do with triggers, like shooting or aiming, or sprinting (I don't like clicking L3 to sprint, holding R2 feels a lot better IMO, and if duck and sprint where mapped elsewhere, I'd rather have a reload or grenade button). So in the end, it hurts the controls. I wouldn't mind carrying four weapon at a time like Uncharted or Gears if I really have to carry a lot of weapon. But then again I don't really dpad, you can't run and press the dpad at the same time and I don't like losing controls of my character :mad: So switching weapons with a face button is the best solution, there is a reason why all FPS these days works this way, it's the one that works the best with a controller.

Plus being limited to 2 weapons and having such different weapons improves teamplay. I really didn't liked how weapon were managed in R1's MP, being able to pick up weapons gives way too much advantage to the people who are playing all day. You need to know the maps, and the dominant team will have all the interesting weapons. When I began playing R1's MP I was very frustrated to be always stuck with the standard rifles. The load out system of R2 is much better IMO.

Also the dude that said that everybody uses only 2 or 3 weapons online is flat out wrong. Most people use the carabin, the L23 and the wraith, but you see tons of auger, marksman. In the smaller maps, the bullseye and the splicer are extremely useful. That leaves the shotgun and the grenade launcher. But those can be pretty deadly in the right hand. In the hand, it's more varied than any other shooter. And every weapon has its own unique play style.

That said, there is no reason to limit the weapons in the Solo campaign, that said I don't really get the complains when people say it's stupid to leave a RLAB just when there is an boss. It's the exact same thing as ammo just before a boss. And near the end of R1's campaign, Hale was waaaaay overpowered. R2 felt much more fair and challenging. It's fine in a light hearted adventure game like Ratchet and Clank, but in the Restistance is is an action game, and it's supposed to be fairly challenging (you have to respect your enemies to feel threatened), being overpowered is a big problem here, it needs to be fair and balanced, carrying all these crazy weapons at the same time breaks balance, and it really shows in R1, the first levels are way harder than the last ones. I wouldn't be surprised if tons of people played R1 sticking with the carbine and the bulleyes to not "waste ammo", which is a fucking waste considering the awesome weapons the game features.

I think that improving the levels and enemies design would be a better idea. For example, it wouldn't hurt to put more enemies with auger, or design a new chimera that uses a RLAB. I think it's much funnier to run out of ammo and being forced to take weapon or chimera corps than having everything on the go. Like the Kitton said, it wouldn't hurt to have more opened arena, so that enemies can flank you and stuff.

Also 60fps, I like fancy graphics and all, but if you don't have Killzone 2 or Uncharted 2's level of visual, I'd rather have 60fps.

TacticalFox88 said:
-Borrow some of the Naughty Gods.Engine and some of the dev team.
-Weapon wheel.
-Stop trying to make Resistance COD, make resitance, fucking RESITANCE.

Yep.

Also make the weapons fun to use. None of them feel powerful at all. I don't really notice this in single player but in MP it really stands out that they all feel more like toys than real weapons.

If you're going to do coop again rethink the levelling up. A headshot should take down an enemy even if you're level 1. Having to pump a thousand bullets into someone because my rank is low makes no sense. Ranking up should be to unlock levels, weapons and outfits not to give me real bullets opposed to whatever it is I'm firing when I start out.

MP maps that are interesting. None of the maps are interesting or memorable.

Lower the player count to 4 vs 4 or maybe 8 vs 8. More isn't better it's just more.

The way players dropped the game so fast also shows how poorly received the game was. More than a year after R1 came out, there was huge lists of full 40 players games going at all times, the game was extremely popular and never had trouble getting into the game. Couple months after R2's release and I was getting no matches found all the time in match making and the number of games going on far paled in comparison to R1.

They screwed up a good formula that just needed refinement, they went overboard and tried to change everything in R2. Couple hits, but way to many major misses in the process.

As for the graphics, don't think they need to go and get ND/GG to take their graphical experience, I think Insomniac has shown they can do some impressive visuals, especially with some really nice work in R2, but as has been said many times the graphics just felt rushed in that it had so many rough patches or levels that just didn't look anywhere as good as others. The first alien battleship you get on for example was hideous, ugly smeared gray textured ship, but later on near the end your in another alien complex and it's gorgeous. Lots of chimeran architecture, shiny everyhing, awesome texture work.... nearly same type of environment yet they look generations apart.

RockmanWhore said:
Also the dude that said that everybody uses only 2 or 3 weapons online is flat out wrong. Most people use the carabin, the L23 and the wraith, but you see tons of auger, marksman. In the smaller maps, the bullseye and the splicer are extremely useful. That leaves the shotgun and the grenade launcher. But those can be pretty deadly in the right hand. In the hand, it's more varied than any other shooter. And every weapon has its own unique play style.

Rarely do you ever see anyone use Auger, Splicer, Shotguns, and grenades. Majority of the maps are too wide open. The weapons would make more sense on an organized team who would make use of each weapons strenghts, but with the nonsense of 80 player online matches do your rarely see any well organized play in R2.

RockmanWhore said:
I'm not a big fan of the weapon wheel in MP, it's nice to have access to all the weapons, but it's too complex to use in MP. If you map it to triangle, you can't move any more since you only have access to one stick. If you map it to a trigger, it's a shame because there are better things to do with triggers, like shooting or aiming, or sprinting (I don't like clicking L3 to sprint, holding R2 feels a lot better IMO, and if duck and sprint where mapped elsewhere, I'd rather have a reload or grenade button). So in the end, it hurts the controls. I wouldn't mind carrying four weapon at a time like Uncharted or Gears if I really have to carry a lot of weapon. But then again I don't really dpad, you can't run and press the dpad at the same time and I don't like losing controls of my character :mad: So switching weapons with a face button is the best solution, there is a reason why all FPS these days works this way, it's the one that works the best with a controller.

Personally I gotta say the weapon wheel is a question of getting accustomed to it. Its actually very practical in MP once you have the functionality in the back of your mind. And being restricted to 2 weapons in R2 really proved to be no fun at all. I loved having the possibility of making a combo kill consisting for 2~4 weapons in R1. Basically all weapons in R1 had their strengths depending on how you used them.

Weapon wheel was not much of a problem in R1 MP because you only started the game with one weapon. You didn't have huge collection of weapons to scroll through, and you had to play well to get a decent collection of weapons to make it a "hindrance"

Kittonwy said:

Graphics:
Ambient occlusion.

Gameplay:
Smaller reticle.
BETTER AI.

Sound:

Story:

Indifferent2.gif

This! Awesome post Kitton!

drakesfortune said:
You should hitch a ride to the Chimeran home world for this one. I didn't play R2 yet, so if something like that happened, or something that ruled it out happened, then forget it, but I think heading to the Chimeran part of the galaxy would open up their creative juices.

Also, more focus on single player. I'm a single player only type person, and when I heard the bad reviews of the single player I canceled my preorder and have still not purchased the game. I will when I can get it for $20. I loved the first game too, so I was bummed to hear that the single player was a mess.

Don't worry. I had a blast with single player and completed it twice. You'll have fun with it that's for sure. The downside is that you'll be thinking 'if only they took a bit longer this could have been soooo much better'.

MercuryLS

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
He agrees, I guess. I do too, I don't think Insomniac are going to hit the level of the top shooters on the platform like Call of Duty and Killzone 2, and I'd like to see them try something different.

Seriously, they should stick to stuff like Ratchet. That's more their speed.

The comment I agree with the most is make it Resistance and avoid just copying other games.

Thats what I loved about Resistance, it was so much different than other games on the market.

R2 was just a Halo/COD clone.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bumping my list hoping my feedback has an effect. RFOM was one of the best console gaming experiences I've ever had. R2 took a step down in several ways. It's like they destroyed the engine they had built from the ground up trying to conform to a COD/Halo style of gameplay.

-Focus more on the online play.
-Go back to your roots, especially regarding the chimera vs. human aspect of the game, which nearly ceased to exist entirely in the 2nd one.
-Lose the perk system just bring back radar vs. rage. Perks are already overdone for me, make it small things like extra ammo max, no double health shield garbage.
-Drop the 2 weapon system. Insomniac is known for the fun creative guns. The wheel added a whole element of strategy.
-Bring back the old fashioned CTF rather than core control. CTF in RFOM was so intense.
-More organized maps in the vein of Manchester, Nottingham, or Sommersette. R2 maps were uninspired and they just felt random. I loved the multi-paths in RFOM, but they were tightly constructed and organized.
-Identical bases with multiple pathways, vantage points, and a wide battlefield, amazing for teamwork and strategies.
-Bring back the old gun art style, and drop the color scheme. Somewhere between R1 and R2, not entirely gray, but not like a bag of skittles.
-Lose the 60 player matches too. I may catch some hate for this, but it's too much. A lot of spamming, insanity. I get the idea of large battlefield with people spread out, but it seemed unnecessary, especially since you never saw the other people, especially if you just focused on your own thing. I don't understand the appeal to cluttered spamfests like this anyway. 40 was the max in RFOM and I really didn't even like those matches.
-Bring back the old stat tracking and badges. It was easier to access and much easier/prettier to look at. Hell bring back the old menu style, something seemed so incomplete about the new setup.
-Same goes for the ribbon system, which was completely useless to me in R2.

Probably will recieve a lot of hate for this, but

Drop the Co-op. People on GAF seemed to appreciate it somewhat, but I just could not. The AI was a mess, the enemies were damage sponges. It was not in the least bit satisfying. Just a complete mess. Biring back a co-op similar to uncharted 2, or even just like an online campaign co-op. This was also a spam fest, so if it's coming back tighten it up.

grumble

I'd have the enemies have less HP. It was too much, I'd have to unload an insane amount of ammo into one to get it killed. Likewise for multiplayer, I'd tweak it to be less HP. It made the game a lot less tactical, which is a very bad thing.

I'd rethink the game design slightly to make it a little more atmospheric. The levels didn't really feel creepy, with the exception of the one underground where you are hearing voices and the one with the nano swarm. The characters were caricatures and story cliches, and the bosses were overly scripted. I'd cut down on the bosses a little, bring down the scale a bit.

I do think the series has potential, but the studio definitely needs to up its game in a variety of ways and change of of its design choices for the third one.

Top Bottom