• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance Burning Skies |OT| Extinguishing the Flames of Vitality

AwRy108

My personal opinions usually line up with their reviews, so this score makes me a feel a bit better about the quality of this game. Their review shares the same story-related gripes as most of the others, but they have mostly positive things to say about both the campaign and the MP.

So odd how polarized the reviews are. At least we're also seeing that Jim Sterling's final score is definitely trolling.

Cudder

Still no shipment confirmation on my copy from Future Shop. :/

i-know-that-feel-bro.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
man, reviews are all over the place.

Yeah its pretty crazy.

I think a lot of it is based on what criteria is being used by the reviewers themselves. In comparison to the home experiences of Resistance and various other console shooters this game doesn't compare favorably at all (to say the least), but in comparison to other FPS on the go, well there aren't exactly a lot of those that are decent at all so this looks more favorable now.

Man, those gunshots do sound like utter ass :(

That being said, the final build's visuals looks pretty damn great and dare I say, I prefer the artwork here to prior Resistnace titles... At least the weapon models

theBishop

Banned
ugh. Unless GAF goes hog-wild with the online mode, I think I'll wait for a price drop. $30 is the buy-price for me. I just bought a bunch of other games in the last 2 weeks (Diablo, Starhawk, Psychonauts).

ugh. Unless GAF goes hog-wild with the online mode, I think I'll wait for a price drop. $30 is the buy-price for me. I just bought a bunch of other games in the last 2 weeks (Diablo, Starhawk, Psychonauts).

I don't think you can create custom mataches or send invites. It might be 100% matchmaking.

FireCloud

Seems to be that the positive/average reviews are for the game generally praised for being the first FPS on a handheld and note deficiencies in certain aspects of the design but overlook them in favour of the ambition (for better or worse) of the game as a whole and the negative reviews are for it not being a PS3 game (which it was being touted as a similar experience) and the deficiencies being a more prominent (and justified) reason to lower the score.

Looking forward to it personally, don't get too caught up on the technical problems of a game to not enjoy it! Can't wait to see how Killzone is looking!

I agree with Sephiroth503. There does seem to be two separate approaches toward rating Vita games, one takes into account it is a handheld and the other treats it as a home console experience. The GameTrailers review takes into account that it's on a smaller platform.

I think I'll hold off until more GAF'ers who have played the game weigh in with their opinions.

Has anyone been able to get into a multiplayer match? I have been trying all morning. Every so often I will get a list of player when trying to join. But it always ends with "room connection failed"

Seventy5

Has anyone been able to get into a multiplayer match? I have been trying all morning. Every so often I will get a list of player when trying to join. But it always ends with "room connection failed"
I was getting that too, then I finally got into a tdm match. Maybe I'm being too lenient because I played NOVA on vita to try an fps, but this seems pretty decent so far. It is clearly not an Insomniac Resistance game, but its not terrible by any means. It looks decent, plays decent, and the mp is decent. Not bad for the first fps, and I'm sure something with a little more dev time will be sublime.

AwRy108

Couple quick impressions:

• Reviewers were right about the video compression--it's not good. In fact, the weapon tutorial videos--which look worse than low-res YouTube stuff--only utilize about 1/2 of the OLED's circumference. I'm not kidding.
  • Gunfire does sound rather weak, sounds like guns are being muffled with a pillow.
  • Enemy AI is way more basic than the series is known for.
  • Health regen is super fast, which kills all incentive to play smart when you can just get behind cover and regen in 2-3 seconds.
  • Music is on-par with R3's, which is a good thing.
  • Indoor areas are too dark, so don't expect to play this outside.
  • Stick controls are wonderful.
  • Touch controls are functional, but annoying (why am I being forced to take my hands off of the analog sticks!?!). So far, I don't see myself using touch-based attacks unless the game requires it for progress.
  • Story is average for the genre.
  • Environment graphics are similar in quality to R1, but with lower-res textures (which aren't nearly as noticeable on the 5" screen); gun graphics are quite good; and framerate seems more than adequate.
  • Unable to connect online due to server errors (really, in the 21st century?). Game does have an online pass.

I think that people need to keep one over-arching point in mind here: the game as a whole seems fairly average, but, as far as PORTABLE first-person shooters go, it has no equal. I only paid $15 for my copy ($25 Amazon giftcard from credit card points), and I would suggest that others don't pay more than $20-$30. If anything, what's obvious from this game is that the Vita has the potential to be an amazing device for first-person shooters, so let's hope some developer somewhere is pulling out all the stops to give us a triple-A entry in the genre.

As is, the game is totally average; but it's nowhere near bad enough to warrant a "2 out of 10".

I was getting that too, then I finally got into a tdm match. Maybe I'm being too lenient because I played NOVA on vita to try an fps, but this seems pretty decent so far. It is clearly not an Insomniac Resistance game, but its not terrible by any means. It looks decent, plays decent, and the mp is decent. Not bad for the first fps, and I'm sure something with a little more dev time will be sublime.

Right after I posted I got into a survival match. It seems that its all anyone plays. I can see why.

I spawned...got killed
Joined the other team
Match ends 30 seconds later
1000 xp bonus
Profit.

Seventy5

Right after I posted I got into a survival match. It seems that its all anyone plays. I can see why.

I spawned...got killed
Joined the other team
Match ends 30 seconds later
1000 xp bonus
Profit.
I was trying to play that. Is it any fun? When they announced that mode, I thought it was horde mode. I am disappoint.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I did, and I was also irritated then; but at least D3 had the excuse of nearly 4 million people pounding their servers in the first 24 hours. What excuse does Burning Skies have?
I'm just saying, your comment about connectivity problems in the 21st century made me chuckle as it is still EXTREMELY common with new releases regardless of popularity.

I was trying to play that. Is it any fun? When they announced that mode, I thought it was horde mode. I am disappoint.

It could be fun. If you have an even group of players the match could go back and forth for a while. But the 5-6 games I played it was over in a minute. They should patch it so that the last man standing has more health or something.

Teknoman

• Reviewers were right about the video compression--it's not good. In fact, the weapon tutorial videos--which look worse than low-res YouTube stuff--only utilize about 1/2 of the OLED's circumference. I'm not kidding.
  • Gunfire does sound rather weak, sounds like guns are being muffled with a pillow.
  • Health regen is super fast, which kills all incentive to play smart when you can just get behind cover and regen in 2-3 seconds.
  • Touch controls are functional, but annoying (why am I being forced to take my hands off of the analog sticks!?!). So far, I don't see myself using touch-based attacks unless the game requires it for progress.

• That is the one thing I was afraid of when it comes to VITA titles. Being the first Sony handheld with a touchscreen, developers would tack on unnecessary touch mechanics on their first go around, much like the first generation of titles on the original DS. Everything else sounds pretty good though, aside from indoor being too dark.

Would you say the story is closer to Resistance 1 in style (havent played 3 yet) where you dont really jump around too much timeline wise?

AwRy108

I'm just saying, your comment about connectivity problems in the 21st century made me chuckle as it is still EXTREMELY common with new releases regardless of popularity.

Common, yes. Excusable? No. Server issues led to the slow death of Fat Princess, a game which got decent marketing, positive reviews, and was nice and cheap. Server issues will ruin Burning Skies MP, so they'd better get their sh*t sorted out quick.

AwRy108

That is the one thing I was afraid of when it comes to VITA titles. Being the first Sony handheld with a touchscreen, developers would tack on unnecessary touch mechanics on their first go around, much like the first generation of titles on the original DS. Everything else sounds pretty good though, aside from indoor being too dark.

Reminds me more of the SIXAXIS crap that Sony required developers to utilize. Why ruin the flow of a game by shoe-horning in imprecise controls, especially when the controls are great the rest of the time? Such stupidity.

Would you say the story is closer to Resistance 1 in style (havent played 3 yet) where you dont really jump around too much timeline wise?

I'm only in the first act, so no comments to offer on this yet. Also, definitely make a point to play R3, it's quite good. Even better in co-op.

Cornbread78

OK, not bad so far, but is there any way to adjust teh brightness of the game? I can barely see anything during the first part of the game.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hoping the demo goes up soon.

THat said E3 needs to be explosive for the Vita. I have a good feeling, but we will see.

Grisby

Impulse purchase go! Gonn start it tonight. Not the biggest Resistance fan but I want a FPS on this sweet OLED.

• Story is average for the genre.
  • Environment graphics are similar in quality to R1, but with lower-res textures (which aren't nearly as noticeable on the 5" screen); gun graphics are quite good; and framerate seems more than adequate.
  • Unable to connect online due to server errors (really, in the 21st century?). Game does have an online pass.

I think that people need to keep one over-arching point in mind here: the game as a whole seems fairly average, but, as far as PORTABLE first-person shooters go, it has no equal. I only paid $15 for my copy ($25 Amazon giftcard from credit card points), and I would suggest that others don't pay more than $20-$30. If anything, what's obvious from this game is that the Vita has the potential to be an amazing device for first-person shooters, so let's hope some developer somewhere is pulling out all the stops to give us a triple-A entry in the genre.

As is, the game is totally average; but it's nowhere near bad enough to warrant a "2 out of 10".

I like this post

Chesskid1

Banned
lmao i had to delete like 4-5 PSP games to be able to get the resistance demo.

at least i know now to keep all my PSP stuff backed upped on my ps3 in the future.

Top Bottom