• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man update! More of your questions answered! [Ted Price IGN blog]

mood

Is it really confirmed there that there are dedicated servers for everyone? All I read was that everyone plays on Sony servers, but you technically play on Microsofts servers as well in every Live game and can make your own private games. Same for EA. Unless I missed more specific clarification I dont see how that confirms dedicated servers. The game looks great though.

The 1080p thing is disappointing, but it's good in a way as it shows developers aren't in any way being forced to run their games at that resolution, it's entirely their choice.

mood said:
Is it really confirmed there that there are dedicated servers for everyone? All I read was that everyone plays on Sony servers, but you technically play on Microsofts servers as well in every Live game and can make your own private games. Same for EA. Unless I missed more specific clarification I dont see how that confirms dedicated servers. The game looks great though.

I was wondering this also. All he said was that you'd be able to create your own private rooms.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Between the info on bandwidth with 40 players and his other comments re. "playing on servers" and being able to create custom games despite that, I thought it was fairly clear he was referring to dedicated servers for actual play. It certainly left that impression.

mood

gofreak said:
Between the info on bandwidth with 40 players and his other comments re. "playing on servers" and being able to create custom games despite that, I thought it was fairly clear he was referring to dedicated servers for actual play. It certainly left that impression.

Yeah perhaps, but Im just a bit skeptical since PDZ is 32 players and plays fine without dedicated servers. I could see how Insomniac could improve upon that without needing dedicated servers as well.

Bad_Boy said:
Also worth noting, ted price will be on 1up Yours tommorrow. :)

They should ask him about this :)

XSamu

Banned
720P? Sony doesn't deliver

I think this game will be great, but it doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't like anything in this game actually

Tieno

Bad_Boy said:
Also worth noting, ted price will be on 1up Yours tommorrow. :)
Nice, the picture at the 1up blog is pretty weird. Looks like he's trying to do an impersonation of Stinkles' avatar.

tprice.jpg

21701779_s4_fatty.jpg

gofreak said:

I see. I think my idea of what dedicated servers was completely off, imagining someone leaving a PS3 on 24/7 and giving out passwords for access to its red hot connection speeds. But really its just having a host provide the bandwith for the match as opposed to Sony or Insomniac.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
XSamu said:

I think this game will be great, but it doesn't appeal to me at all. I don't like anything in this game actually

K.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
XSamu said:

At least they have delivered an FPS with a solid framerate for a change (*glares a XBOX360*) :O

dark10x

XSamu said:
/Gears of War
You know it's true when you have to pull out THE highest profile game coming to the machine. A game that isn't even an FPS and has been demonstrated with an awful framerate up until recently. We'll see how stable it is in the final (here's hoping). :)

BigBoss

XSamu said:

Why are you in this thread again?

XSamu

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Too bad Gears of War isnt a FPS...

/cilffb
True, my bad.

Shadowrun.... BELIEVE

@BigBoss: I said I thought the game would be great... me, an Xbot, said something good on a PS3 game that I don't like. I consider that to be nice of me

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
why are we feeding this guy. its not the topic at hand, lets not ruin another thread guys.

please.. :/

dark10x

Heh, seems like it's his first day on the GAF too. Let's get back to the topic at hand (though the topic at hand, multiplayer discussion, is nowhere near as interesting to me, unfortunately). :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
I see. I think my idea of what dedicated servers was completely off, imagining someone leaving a PS3 on 24/7 and giving out passwords for access to its red hot connection speeds. But really its just having a host provide the bandwith for the match as opposed to Sony or Insomniac.

Ah, well that's something that I don't think has been connected to Resistance at all. I think the only dev I've heard talk about that on PS3 has been Incognito.

XSamu said:
@BigBoss: I said I thought the game would be great... me, an Xbot, said something good on a PS3 game that I don't like. I consider that to be nice of me

why are you in this thread then?? Go bump up the Gears of War thread.

3rdman

_leech_ said:
The 1080p thing is disappointing, but it's good in a way as it shows developers aren't in any way being forced to run their games at that resolution, it's entirely their choice.

No its not...it freakin' stupid as all hell to see these developers cave to pressure from their overlords for a higher resolution when so few can actually put it to use. It's also frustrating as all hell to see posters here put such an emphasis on it...Graphics are (to me) about immersion...I would GLADLY sacrifice a needless resolution of 1080p to see titles with all types of crazy effects at 720p.

...and whats with the circle jerk over framerates. COD2 holds a very steady framerate and yet there are many here that rail on and on about its (supposed) fluctuations.

BigBoss

3rdman said:
...and whats with the circle jerk over framerates. COD2 holds a very steady framerate and yet there are many here that rail on and on about its (supposed) fluctuations.

What? People actually complain about the framerate in COD2? Its probably the smoothest game I've played on the Xbox 360.

dark10x

Actually, no, it does't hold a steady framerate. Absolutely not.

Statements such as that are partially responsible for my disappointment with that game. I go in expecting a steady 60 fps...and right from the starting point, looking in a certain direction drops you to 30 fps. I knew I was in for a rough ride, and I was right (though it's at its worst during the Russian campaign).

I applaud them for trying, though, and it is far beyond most other 360 FPS titles (which can't even muster 30 fps).

XSamu

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
why are you in this thread then?? Go bump up the Gears of War thread.
I'll only go offtopic once... only this time

Initialy I didn't say anything about Gears or what so ever, a couple of other guys started talking about something else.

But I'll leave this thread now, cause you can only say good things about Resistance in this thread.

Mifune

Mehmber
So far all I've seen of Resistance are wide-open levels with wave after wave of baddies. I'm curious to see some of the more claustrophobic areas, too. I'm just not sold on this game yet, because what I've seen looks like a really pretty Serious Sam. Which ain't a bad thing necessarily, but I prefer FPS games with more mission and story based objectives.

I'm anxious to hear impressions once people get to the meat of the game.

1. Good to see them not cave in to silly 1080p pressure.
2. 30fps a bit disappointing just because all the online hype has made everybody expect 60fps.
3. With 40-players, of course they are running dedicated servers. With a P2P game the odds are that nobody in your room would have the ability to host that kind of upload bandwidth. 99% of DSL and cable modem users don't have that kind of upload, which is exponentially more than something like a 16-player game needs.
4. Game specific buddy list is horseshit and needs clarification.
5. "And we decided not to bother people in-game with messages." Hey, I'll make that choice, thanks.

Cheeto

gofreak from Neogaf asked:

"Can you clarify at all re. the in-game buddy list? Is that leveraging the PNP buddy list from the XMB with some Resistance-specific functionality, or is it completely independent? Also, can you comment on in-game messaging to people on your buddy list - is that possible? There's some confusion over that spawning from the Eurogamer article, and whether you can actually access the XMB buddy list anymore in-game, and communicate with friends from there. "

TP: Hey gofreak. The buddy list is specific to Resistance. And we decided not to bother people in-game with messages. If you have a new message sent to you while you’re in a game, you'll see your "buddy list" tab flashing when you re-enter the lobby after playing a game. The buddy list tab is where you can access your friends, ignore list, messages, etc.
Can someone please clarify exactly what this means? Does this mean the community is handled sorta like PS2 online?

dark10x

XSamu said:
But I'll leave this thread now, cause you can only say good things about Resistance in this thread.
That's not true at all. The problem is that nobody looks kindly upon negative remarks that do not even ATTEMPT to validate themselves. There is a large difference between explaining why you feel a certain way about something and simply blurting out something foolish. If you understand this right away, you'll fare better around here.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
WhatRuOn said:
Can someone please clarify exactly what this means? Does this mean the community is handled sorta like PS2 online?
Yeah, it almost sounds like he misunderstood gofreak's question. Sounds like if he thought if gofreak asked if the XMB buddy list comes up or somthing, when he was actually asking if they are integrated. For example if you add a buddy in the main XMB buddy list, will that buddy show up in the ingame Resistance menu buddy list? I'm probably misunderstanding something but I guess thats how I read it.

XSamu

Banned
dark10x said:
That's not true at all. The problem is that nobody looks kindly upon negative remarks that do not even ATTEMPT to validate themselves. There is a large difference between explaining why you feel a certain way about something and simply blurting out something foolish. If you understand this right away, you'll fare better around here.
Ok.

-I don't like the setting. WO2 shooters with monsters? No thanks. If I wanna shoot monsters I wanna do that in a futuristic setting. If I wanna play WO2 shooters, I wanna shoot humans.
-The "dark/colourless" look isn't doing the game any good
-What seperates this game from other shooters? I can't think of a thing

XSamu said:

And there it is, the inevitable martyr comment. Should I wager a guess and say that you carry an IGN passport?

XSamu said:
Ok.

-I don't like the setting. WO2 shooters with monsters? No thanks. If I wanna shoot monsters I wanna do that in a futuristic setting. If I wanna play WO2 shooters, I wanna shoot humans.

And that's fine. The thing is, and this is especially clear now that you've clarified why you don't like about the game, it's quite difficult to understand why you are even following the game at this point. If you don't like the setting, nor the look, and you don't see anything that differentiates it from other shooters, then why are you even here? Did you think they'd have suddenly changed the setting and look of the game? If this was a general interest thread, like the official gamer's day one, I could understand this. But I'm not quite sure what possessed you to even hang out in this thread knowing fully well that you wouldn't be happy with what you saw.

XSamu said:
Ok.

You still haven't explained why the hell you are in a thread about a game that you have no interest in....oh wait. I know......

XSamu said:
Ok.

The game is going for an alternative history setting which hasn't been done in video games. And if the official website is any indication the story isn't something half assed!

The game is gritty. Colourfull games are for kids! Hell even GoW lacks fruity colours

Insomniac weapons.... but all FPS's I have played are different. Some have rag dolls, others don't, some focus on multiplayer while others on single player....

Resistance - probably a rich single player campaign, a rock solid multiplayer mode, giant bosses (hey we haven't seen these in FPS's for a while now :p) etc

dark10x

XSamu said:
Ok.

That's better.

What seperates this game is exactly what you don't care for; the mixing of sci-fi elements with WWII settings. I am personally sick of WWII shooters (along with many others). This is a refreshing twist on a WWII shooter and very welcome by many. You can also see from their web material that they are REALLY behind the idea and not just half-assing it. They put in a lot of work to create this alternate past and I really appreciate it.

If you aren't buying that, well, the game isn't going to do much for you. It sounds like you have pre-determined tastes as to what goes where and aren't open to mixing things up. That's fine.

A lot of people dislike monochromatic art design (though Gears of War is very much the same on that front), but others of us really appreciate it.

You also have to remember that Insomniac is known for crazy weapons and Resistance seems to offer a lot of fire power that varies from the norm. I love FPS titles and they seem to have a solid title on their hands here. I'm just as excited about this as I am Gears, honestly. They both look fantastic.

manngc

XSamu said:
What other game mixes aliens/monsters with an alternate WWII setting? That's one of the biggest draws of game. And the weapons are rather unique. Outside of these facts, I'm not sure what else is "special" about the game.

manngc said:
What other game mixes aliens/monsters with an alternate WWII setting? That's one of the biggest draws of game. And the weapons are rather unique. Outside of these facts, I'm not sure what else is "special" about the game.

40-player online is a draw (though not as much as online co-op would be, at least to me). It's cool that Sony is at least going to put up dedicated servers for a 'spotlight' game like this.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
40-player online is a draw (though not as much as online co-op would be, at least to me). It's cool that Sony is at least going to put up dedicated servers for a 'spotlight' game like this.

For Playsatation fanboys the main draw is getting a high budget FPS featuring a solid single player campaign for the very first time.

XSamu

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
And there it is, the inevitable martyr comment. Should I wager a guess and say that you carry an IGN passport?
Guess again
AltogetherAndrews said:
And that's fine. The thing is, and this is especially clear now that you've clarified why you don't like about the game, it's quite difficult to understand why you are even following the game at this point. If you don't like the setting, nor the look, and you don't see anything that differentiates it from other shooters, then why are you even here? Did you think they'd have suddenly changed the setting and look of the game? If this was a general interest thread, like the official gamer's day one, I could understand this. But I'm not quite sure what possessed you to even hang out in this thread knowing fully well that you wouldn't be happy with what you saw.
At first I didn't like the setting of GRAW either. But after I saw more and more I got hyped for it. Suddenly it became appealing. That same thing could've happened with this game, but it went the other way around.
Doom_Bringer said:
The game is gritty. Colourfull games are for kids!
What? I can't take you serious like this
Doom_Bringer said:
Hell even GoW lacks fruity colours
Yeah, but Resistance has a depressing look, which may be good for horror games, but this isn't a horror game.

XSamu said:
Yeah, but Resistance has a depressing look, which may be good for horror games, but this isn't a horror game.

It looks appealing to me, plus you have to keep in mind they have only shown the first few levels. The levels look great to me :D especially the Manchester and the London Bridge one. They nailed the atmosphere of a world being overtaken by aliens and their architecture

BuddyC

Man, you guys are skirting the edge of something you don't want to be near. Especially since someone has already proven they're not a man of their words.

XSamu said:
Guess again

At first I didn't like the setting of GRAW either. But after I saw more and more I got hyped for it. Suddenly it became appealing. That same thing could've happened with this game, but it went the other way around.
What? I can't take you serious like this

Actually Insomniac stated they wanted aspects of the game be like that, wanting to it spook the player at times. There is both wide open and corridor-like areas in this game.

BuddyC

XSamu said:
Why? It would've been weak of me to just leave now. I had to prove I wasn't just talking bullcrap.
Let me help you.

EDIT: Now I realize that you were attempting to substantiate your negative comments instead of just bailing. I can respect that.

Top Bottom