• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man update! More of your questions answered! [Ted Price IGN blog]

Tieno

What seperates this game is exactly what you don't care for; the mixing of sci-fi elements with WWII settings. I am personally sick of WWII shooters (along with many others). This is a refreshing twist on a WWII shooter and very welcome by many. You can also see from their web material that they are REALLY behind the idea and not just half-assing it. They put in a lot of work to create this alternate past and I really appreciate it.

If you aren't buying that, well, the game isn't going to do much for you. It sounds like you have pre-determined tastes as to what goes where and aren't open to mixing things up. That's fine.

A lot of people dislike monochromatic art design (though Gears of War is very much the same on that front), but others of us really appreciate it.

Definately a lover of the sci-fi and 50's era and alternate history. I love that sort of stuff and that's what attracts me in this game, the story angle (and of course the large scale battles). What I'm rather cold about is the art style, maybe it's the brownish color scheme, but then again the grey colors in GoW don't bother me at all. What it boils down to is, for me I guess, that I'd immediately recognize GoW as GoW. Resistance doesn't have that same recognizable style it seems, or is it because Resistance is not as exaggerated as Gears? But I'm remaing very hopeful because that London bridge stuff was pure awesome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gofreak said:
Haha, they lifted some posts straight off neogaf too. How..odd. But nice of them! Thanks for paying attention!

Dedicated servers for online confirmed too..nice.

How did you question get answered but not mines?

a couple of things...

first of all... yay to no footsteps. honestly, i'm a bit weird in some ways. i cheer when you can see your own legs in an FPS, but find footsteps a pain in multiplayer. i think it's quake/quake 2 thing. footsteps was one of the things they added in quake 2 that lead to quake 2 feeling like a very different game... one i didn't like.

could someone tell me which of these ign videos are set on the manchester level? i'm at work, and can't download and watch them all... but i used to live in manchester and want to see how well they've done capturing the 'feel' of the architecture and such (as i doubt they based the level design off actual city plans).

Let me get this clear:-

Resistance has went from 22gb to 16gb by removing SD Pal movies and some better compression? But the NTSC movies are still present?

So:-

Better compression + no Pal movies = 6gb

I wonder how many gigs for the PAL FMV?

I guess it's hard to say unless we know codec the movies are using, but even 3gb of movies (not even HD movies at that) is a lot of movie / hours!

It would be interesting to see the break down of assets fro this title - I was very dubious that 22gb would be used *unless* there was large amounts of FMV.

Kabuki Waq said:
dear god this is one of the worst podcasts i have ever listened too.

It certainly did not "age" well, considering all the new info that just came out, but hey, that's life, and that's what happens when you have to pre-record. They are still inventing this podcast, pretty much, give them some time to find their groove.

After all the announcements, really they only had two good bits of info left: I liked the brief discussion of the controller, was assured about the fact that neither they, nor the two guys from Gamespot's video show agreed with the IGN UK's scathing review of what they called the "cheap feeling" controller, especially the part where they hated on the triggers. I can put up with a controller that feels a little light, not bad triggers. I'd prefer they'd stick to buttons rather than f-ed up triggers.

Thank goodness that whole issue turned out to be a matter of opinion that seems unique that IGN UK reviewer, and not a concensus.

I'm also interested in the fact that so many reviewers seem to have interest in the new Tony Hawk game. I'm certainly going to be cautious and rent it first, but this might be the first one I buy in a long time. Never expected that...at all.

I don't like the "OK, lets talk about Lost now for 12 minutes," give-up at the end of the show, but the show is basically like a blog, and should allow them to show their personalities beyond gaming, and they do warn you, and basically sign off before they start in on it, so I don't mind. When they start talking about it, I just hit "stop."

The show is getting better with time though, and I'm sorry for even having to mention this, but at least there's no Dana cross-talking over everyone, derailing the show by thinking she's funnier than she actually is, and basically adding nothing. If you thought this recent podcast was bad...whoah. Trust me, you would have pulled your own head off rather than listen to one of those cluster****s.

igTedPrice

The nicest guy in games
Wario64 said:
Ted Price needs to make his NeoGAF debut already

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=15403

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd say "hey". I do read the posts. But things get pretty nuts at work so I can't keep up with how fast things move on Neogaf. Obviously I'm posting way late on this particular thread.

Anyway, it's been very cool seeing the feedback, positive and negative, about the game. You should be able to play it for real in just a few weeks and share your opinions. All of us at Insomniac are going to be paying very close attention.

Ted

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's TED! Everybody SWARM!

You must be very proud of your first PS3 game. Cheers and good luck on all your future PS3 projects. :D

Kangu

Banned
igTedPrice said:
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd say "hey". I do read the posts. But things get pretty nuts at work so I can't keep up with how fast things move on Neogaf. Obviously I'm posting way late on this particular thread.

Anyway, it's been very cool seeing the feedback, positive and negative, about the game. You should be able to play it for real in just a few weeks and share your opinions. All of us at Insomniac are going to be paying very close attention.

Ted

Please clear up the buddy lists issue!

Also, WTF did you guys do in the last week? The game looks positively stunning now.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
igTedPrice said:
Hey guys,

Ted
I just wanna say thanks to you and your staff for what is sure to be one helluva game. Good luck with future endeavors.

Dear Ted,

I want a nuke gun.

Laguna X said:
The love is much deserved.

It really is. There's been an extraordinary lack of BS surrounding Resistance, and that seems real bloody rare these days. Add to that the fact that dude here even takes the time to answer a crapload of questions, even ones that aren't so easily answered, without even being really asked to do so. That's just plain wicked.

igTedPrice said:
Hey guys,

Ted

:)

awesome

igTedPrice

The nicest guy in games
Hey guys,

Tell you what. I'll try to answer more Neogaf questions on one of the next blogs I do for IGN (for example more info on buddy lists). It's a good way to address a lot at once and to have tons of info in one place for many to see. Plus I can't keep up with how fast you post!

But watching forums is something we've always done at Insomniac because it's the best way to connect with the people who play our games. We were on Gaming Age forums a lot before they became NeoGAF. It was very helpful to see what people said about our Ratchet games.

Anyway, thanks for all of the props. The team and I really appreciate it.

Ted

Stench

Banned
When I was lining up for my PS3 preorder in the freaking snow for 12+ hours, some dude in line asked what some of the launch games were, and I was all like, "DUDE, RESISTANCE IS THE ONLY LAUNCH GAME YOU NEED, MANG"

And he was all like, "OH SHIT THAT'S THAT F*CKIN' ALIEN GAME WITH THOSE SWEET ASS GUNS AND CRAP" and I was like "HELLS YEAH, BITCH, I'LL SEE YOU ONLINE!!!"

k so maybe it didn't go exactly like that, but it was pretty damn close.

Only n00bs post at IGN and those forums are so slow, You should post here more often!! Also I want more info on music. I haven't heard a single memorable music peice in any of the vids although the voice acting is superb! Also what's up with the lack of footsteps sound?

you guys should release some music samples

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
igTedPrice said:
Hey guys,

Tell you what. I'll try to answer more Neogaf questions on one of the next blogs I do for IGN (for example more info on buddy lists). It's a good way to address a lot at once and to have tons of info in one place for many to see. Plus I can't keep up with how fast you post!

But watching forums is something we've always done at Insomniac because it's the best way to connect with the people who play our games. We were on Gaming Age forums a lot before they became NeoGAF. It was very helpful to see what people said about our Ratchet games.

Anyway, thanks for all of the props. The team and I really appreciate it.

Ted
Sounds good Ted, about the buddy list, I just want to know if the two (Resisitance buddy list, and XMB OS buddy list) are integrated with each other some how. Meaning if I add a buddy on/in the XMB buddy list, will he show up in the Resistance buddy list of course considering he has the game?

But yeah, can't wait for your next blog, and the final game next month. :)

Rody

OMFGTEDILUVYAPLEASESIGNMYBOOBIES!@#1!!

Seriously, I can't wait to to get my hands on "Resistance". Great job!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One quesiton which I'm sure can't be answered is in regards to framerate...

I'm perfectly happy with the rock solid 30 fps that Resistance offers, but the original demonstrations running at 60 fps really have me wondering just how far from reaching that framerate the team really was. Could it have been done with more time? Was it simply an issue of slowdown present during complex scenes? More importantly, what is the future of framerate on PS3 looking like? I know a lot of developers used the field rendering trick in order to achieve 60 fps on PS2, but I know Insomniac was able to deliver 60 fps without it (from Ratchet 2 onwards). The general lack of high framerates thus far this generation is very disappointing and I'm hoping things turn for the better eventually. Any insight on this issue?

lunlunqq

:O !!!! ZOMG!!!

Ted, thank you guys at Insomniac for the great work! I've pre-ordered Resistance tegother with my PS3. Please post here more often. Thanks again.

Thanks for participating Ted, great job with Resistance and thanks for participating with the community. We're looking forward to the next update.

Agent X

Ted, it's great to see you here on NeoGAF! I'm a huge fan of the Ratchet & Clank games; they're among my favorite games on PS2. Thanks to you and the Insomniac gang for creating them!

I'm highly looking forward to playing Resistance: Fall of Man in just a few weeks. Good luck with that game--I hope it turns out well and becomes successful for you.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Stench said:
When I was lining up for my PS3 preorder in the freaking snow for 12+ hours, some dude in line asked what some of the launch games were, and I was all like, "DUDE, RESISTANCE IS THE ONLY LAUNCH GAME YOU NEED, MANG"

And he was all like, "OH SHIT THAT'S THAT F*CKIN' ALIEN GAME WITH THOSE SWEET ASS GUNS AND CRAP" and I was like "HELLS YEAH, BITCH, I'LL SEE YOU ONLINE!!!"

k so maybe it didn't go exactly like that, but it was pretty damn close.

I love Stench. He's like the funniest gaffer.

dark10x said:
One quesiton which I'm sure can't be answered is in regards to framerate...

I'm perfectly happy with the rock solid 30 fps that Resistance offers, but the original demonstrations running at 60 fps really have me wondering just how far from reaching that framerate the team really was. Could it have been done with more time? Was it simply an issue of slowdown present during complex scenes? More importantly, what is the future of framerate on PS3 looking like? I know a lot of developers used the field rendering trick in order to achieve 60 fps on PS2, but I know Insomniac was able to deliver 60 fps without it (from Ratchet 2 onwards). The general lack of high framerates thus far this generation is very disappointing and I'm hoping things turn for the better eventually. Any insight on this issue?

I know this is important to you and to many, but this reminds me of the South Park episode where they get to ask one question to God and they ask why boys don't have periods.

i hope after the next ratchet and clank game, Insomniac takes a long break with RnC franchise makes another action adventure franchise

momolicious said:
i hope after the next ratchet and clank game, Insomniac takes a long break with RnC franchise makes another action adventure franchise

making a new ip is tough business. Insomniac is a small developer they just made a new ip and now they should focus on maximizing profits

GeoramA

I'm watching all the HD videos at IGN...I just gotta say wow, Insomniac has a gem on their hands with Resistance. Seeing all the dead Chimera lying around is just ****ing creepy and awesome. And the Stalker just looks incredible.

Yoboman

Great Podcast Ted, honestly the guys were right, I could've listened for hours about you talking about Resistance :D

Two questions, maybe you can answer in your blog...

- Resistance has 7.1 surround sound right? Is it ingame 7.1 or just cutscenes, if so how does that work?

- How would you compare the level design to Ratchet and Clank? As good, or have you felt limited by the constraints of the FPS view, compared with a platformer?

EDIT: One further question... With the username, do you use the standard PSN log in name or do you have to create your own profile for Resistance?

GeoramA said:
I'm watching all the HD videos at IGN...I just gotta say wow, Insomniac has a gem on their hands with Resistance. Seeing all the dead Chimera lying around is just ****ing creepy and awesome. And the Stalker just looks incredible.

I have a feeling some will complain about this, but I really like the speed of the Stalker. It doesn't have that typical mech movement going on, and that's cool.

cicero

Doom_Bringer said:
:lol

no I changed my mind about that! go read that thread again
Good call!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114990

resistanceriseofyaiopk9.jpg

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
wow, this game really looks amazing. the graphics are brilliant. if i had to find faults it would be mainly with the smoke effects and explosions (don't look as good as the rest of the game), and the way models seem to "slide" over the ground when they walk.

the gunfire battles look insane. although i don't like FPS controls on consoles i want to play this game, it looks awesome

oh, and the weapons look very good

At first I wasn't too sure of what I thought of Resistance when it was initially unvieled, as it's not exactly the kind of game I've grown to expect from Insomniac, but it's looking more and more like it's one of the games I need to pick up whenever I'm able to find a PS3 to buy.

Top Bottom