• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resogun v. Geometry Wars v. Super Stardust

Which do you think is the best, and why?

I'm an enormous Resogun fan. I think it's arguably the PS4's best game. Phenomenal twin stick shooting, very addicting, beautiful, and some great level variety.

I'm really tempted to buy Geometry Wars 3 and Super Stardust Ultra (when it releases). I should love them since I really dig Resogun. But the videos I've seen turn me off - they look too chaotic and claustrophobic. The playing space is confined to smaller and far less appealing surfaces (biggest negative to me). The enemies look less varied and interesting. And graphically, they're much less impressive. Fans of those games, sell me on them. I really want another great twin stick shooting experience.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Super Stardust, but I'm super hyped to play Resogun and GW3 once they hit Vita.

Gastone

Resogun all the way!
Love the controls, the look and the soundtrack. Easy to get into, and quite addictive.

dsk1210

Geometry wars 3 is outstanding, it's worth the classic mode alone.

The campaign is really good as well, very hard to get 3 stars though.

Super Stardust HD. Lots of metagame, cool rock-paper-scissor shooting, spherical world.
---

Though I dig Resogun's Survival mode

Super Stardust HD for me. I think it's one of the few games that iv played where I was pretty much dying to pay for more dlc for it.

Endless mode is still one of my favourite time sinks ever (hit top 100 or so at one time in it)

I love super stardust but the multiplier being endlessly cumulative is something which I think is a bad design choice. It makes it so once you've lost it once it's better to just start over from the beginning, in which case it should just be a 'one life' mode similar to Luftrausers or something.

Eolz

If you're talking about Geometry Wars 3, it's the lowest of the bunch. Resogun is the best, Super Stardust has its high and its lows. Wouldn't consider it a high-tier game in its genre.
1&2 are way better than all of those three.
And other games, such as TxK, Waves, etc

I love super stardust but the multiplier being endlessly cumulative is something which I think is a bad design choice. It makes it so once you've lost it once it's better to just start over from the beginning, in which case it should just be a 'one life' mode similar to Luftrausers or something.

I liked the stress and heartbreak of losing my multiplier. It works well. Besides, you can build it back up and have a bunch of lives to get your groove back. It's so much better than geoms in GW.

But Resogun's multiplier game is probably better. You have to find a beat to your shooting and save all humans for the multiplier, and even consider not using bombs. It felt more difficult and it was actually more the case that I was restarting Resogun for not getting early multiplier perfects.

samwizered

Super Stardust and Resogun are both so much fun. It's crazy that even a year after the PS4 launch, Resogun is still my go-to game for the system.

Geometry Wars probably. Super Stardust was fun, but it felt off-brand. Resogun is really cool, but I absolutely hate the multiplier mechanic in it. Geoms in Geometry Wars are bad enough to be honest. But the scoring system in Resogun really knocks it down a notch for me.

Geometry Wars is perfect to me. Even Geometry Wars 3 is the shit, better than the other games mentioned here IMO. I liked Super Stardust even though its a bit lighter on content than these other games but I could never really got into Resogun and not for lack of trying. Geometry Wars is just pure simple action, you hop in, you fuck shit up.

Ogawa-san

I'll go with GW3, mostly because of what I didn't like on Resogun: timed multipliers dropping with no enemies around to shoot, and humans being lost when I didn't even know they were there.

I liked SSD too, but it didn't hook me like the other two. Maybe it was the weapon system, forcing you into specific ones against certain materials.

Skyzard

Banned
Can't wait to have them all on the Vita! I hope Resogun and GW feel good to play on the system.

Played too much Super Stardust on it and recently I've been playing Crimsonland, which is more gorey, and your speed is rather limited but very fun and addictive.

Not played Resogun before. Hard to pick between stardust and GW. Was going to get GW3 until they announced the Vita version.

Twin stick shooters make awesome handheld titles.

antitrop

Geometry Wars 3 is probably my new favorite twin stick shooter, although Super Stardust was pretty incredible and I can't wait for the next one.

Resogun just wasn't for me.

I'll go with GW3, mostly because of what I didn't like on Resogun: timed multipliers dropping with no enemies around to shoot, and humans being lost when I didn't even know they were there.

I liked SSD too, but it didn't hook me like the other two. Maybe it was the weapon system, forcing you into specific ones against certain materials.

Some humans were tied to a mutliplier minimum that you had to have, others to specially marked enemies that you had to kill in specific order.

You have to be smart with the enemy juggling and keep in mind that multiplier has a pause during rounds which can be prematurely un paused if you start shooting

Geometry Wars became some sort of zen thing eventually. Seemed like the game was playing with you a lot of times. The sequels haven't matched up to the original though.

stardust was the first game I played on my PS4 and it was the last game I played when I sold my PS3 once my Ps4 came in. I could see the same type of thing occuring with RESOGUN. It's an awesome game.

Which is best? Gah! Uhhhhhhhh .......... Hmmmmmmmmm

Geometry Wars

slider

Haven't played Geometry Wars 3. But previous iterations were great. Loved SSHD too. Stupidly I didn't get Resogun when it was "free" but recently purchased it and have no regrets. It's pretty damn good.

In summary... Er, they're all good!

choodi

Banned
I know this wasn't one of the options, but Assault Android Cactus was fantastic when i played it at PAX Aus.

Timeaisis

Geometry Wars no contest.

I can play it forever and ever. The other two are mild distractions at best.

Also, I find Resogun incredibly boring after playing for like 10 minutes. The mechanics are too obtuse for their own good. Geo Wars is pure arcade-y goodness.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Super Stardust HD was my jam, haven't played a whole lot of Resogun.

Geometry Wars I only played inside of PGR3.

For pure fun, Geometry Wars (not the 3rd one) wins by a mile. I disliked Resogun - felt more like a chore to play than it being a fun game. Super Stardust was decent but not on the same level as Geometry Wars.

Geometry Wars 2 is perfection. GW3, IMO, is lacking something that makes it feel as great as part 2. Don't get me wrong, GW3 is still a blast to play but not on a GW2 level.

Resogun is pretty fucking fun but it did get boring....UNTIL they released Survival Mode. That changed everything for me. The new expansion looks excellent. This game sold me on the PS4 and is the best game I've played on the system.

Super Stardust is another great game. I thought the Vita version was awesome. Definitely picking up Ultra.

Between Resogun's new expansion and SSD, I don't think GW3 would get as much playtime from me.

I have to give Resogun the #1 spot. They've done a great job supporting this game with free updates and DLC. You can't really go wrong with any of the 3, though. I'm just amazed and happy I will have these 3 games on one system!

jmaine_ph

Super Stardust HD is a classic! Them trophies made it even better. I whored for them trophies like no other. I like the new modes they have for Resogun and I still have to beat. I'll get there. Haven't touched Geometry Wars since the one the 360 so idk about the rest.

RE_Player

I think Super Stardust is the best of the three. It is the perfect blend of simplicity and complexity in both the way it controls, mechanics and difficulty.

I could never get into Resogun for some reason. Going to give it another shot with the upcoming Vita release.

Top Bottom