• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolutiongate: the aftermath. Musings from a Call of Duty Dude Bro.........

It's an interesting subject and I'm trying to do as much research on it as I can.
Then I'd recommend you perform said research with haste, and refrain from posting incredulous replies to others' assertions regarding the topic until the research is done. I've seen you ask the same shit in several threads, and it's now been explained to you several times. Hopefully you won't ask again next week.

On topic, I can clearly tell the difference between upscaled content and content that is at 1080p native. It's especially apparent because the Xbox One has that ridiculous sharpening filter for everything below 1080p, creating a shitload of shimmering artifacts all over my screen. It's workable for Xbox One exclusives, but I most certainly will not put up with it on games that I can get elsewhere.

SaintR

the fact that my 12 year old nephew notice the difference between 720P and 1080P is telling and the gaming media is full of shit.

That because the PS4 version run between 60FPS and 90FPS. IW needs to lock it at 60FPS. I don't notice notice it because my TV have a 240Hz refresh rate

Anecdotal and all that jazz but I was speaking with my cousin's 11 year old son and he broke it down why he asked his parents to get him a ps4 over the Xbox one. His main point was that "there aren't that many games but they both have the same games" and the ps4 has better graphics in those games. Now it is very surprising that these kids are that informed about graphical differences irregardless of the "small" differences.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, I lost all respect for anyone who argued otherwise.

Yeah. You realize that tv is just copying frames to reduce LCD motion blur to achieve 240Hz right?
It's not actually accepting anything more than 60Hz signal and processing that.

There's very VERY few TVs that truly accept a 120Hz signal, and that's with some trickery involved in settings and a PC as a source. Much less 240.

Dalamari

Banned
If these consoles plan to be around for 7 years and can't even match current PC ports, it's gonna be a rough generation.

It's threads like these that make me sad that most TVs don't support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. Videogames stand to benefit THE most.

Cheech

Agreed. I'm a big COD fan and I switched from PS3 to 360.mid gen so I could play it with the better graphics and earlier access to the DLC.

However, it looks like I'm going to have to switch back to PlayStation unfortunately if I want the best experience.

Yeah, join a very large party. Microsoft absolutely lost tons of sales by cheaping out on that GPU. I look at Xbox buyers complaining about how Assassin's Creed 4 graphics look, and it's one of the best looking games on my PS4.

It is disappointing more than anything. I spent 95% of my gaming on a 360 last gen. Would have liked to have stayed in the ecosystem.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
JpGYX.gif

Dillonyousonofabitch.gif

dave_m123

Obviously it is not stuck at 720p but the Xbox One version will always have to make greater sacrifices to reach the developers intended baseline performance.

We are already seeing that in third party games:

AC4:
1080p30 on PS4
900p30 on Xbox One

CoD Ghosts:
1080p60 on PS4
720p30 on Xbox One

and those games that PS4 and Xbox One have the same resolution and FPS? The PS4 is pushing more affects as mentioned in the Anandtech article. This disparity is not caused by the ESRAM, it's caused by the lack of processing power.

Call of Duty is 30fps? Really? I thought it was just the resolution that was different.

Raist

Banned
No, not after the 1080p patch. It's dropping under.

Digital Foundry said:
One of the main issues surrounding the PS4 version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is the somewhat erratic frame-rate reported by reviewers. On playing the unpatched version of the PS4 code for the first time, the difference in smoothness between the mostly solid 60fps of the 360 game and the more inconsistent PS4 release is quite obvious - in many scenes we see the appearance of judder and what appears to be slowdown on the PS4, perhaps surprisingly in areas where performance isn't impacted upon in either the PS3 or 360 versions.

Taking the affected clips and running them through our performance analysis tools, we expected the results to show clear frame-rate drops and small bouts of tearing, but surprisingly this wasn't the case at all, with the results showing us a largely locked 60fps bar one or two minor dips and a solitary torn frame. Furthermore, when seeking through the footage in performance-affected areas we were confronted with unique frames on a consistent basis, thus indicating a 60fps update that we just didn't feel when playing the game.

So just what is going on? Well, a close look at our captures reveals that Call of Duty: Ghosts actually runs at higher frame-rates than 60fps on a fairly frequent basis, despite the video output being limited to 60Hz. In scenes where we experienced judder and perceived frame-rate loss, what we are actually seeing is the appearance of skipped and incomplete frames - an effect that is arguably far more noticeable than a few prolonged drops down to 50fps or so seen the 360 version of the game.

Demmi

Neo Member
Just an FYI, the PS4 version does not have framerate drops but framerate spikes - it's frames going over 60fps causing the problem. Shitty none the less, but it is a spike rather than a drop.

Can I know where people are getting this from?

The Digital Foundry article attributed some of the judder to a higher frame-rate (which they're no longer sure on btw), but still mentioned drops down to 40/50fps.

They never said that frame-rate spikes were the only issue.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
That is when it was running at 720p before the 1080p patch.

EDIT: "Update: Having reviewed the patch captures, there's an odd issue with tearing which caused some confusion, but we're fairly convinced now that in the revised version of the game at least, any judder is down to frame-rate drops and not the game running faster than 60Hz."

Dio

Banned
You know, people keep saying 'you're sitting too close to your TV' when talking about this kind of thing and if you can tell the difference.

What if you use a PC monitor for all your needs?

Melchiah

The PS4 version of this game has been treated very unfairly by the majority of the gaming press, particularly by that joke of an outfit over at polygon who gave it a lower score than the xbone version.

For a game to run over 2x the resolution on one system and also perform equally if not superior in every other aspect, only to be ignored or actually scored lower ... It just shows me which media outlets to ignore from here forward because they are either blind or pushing an agenda.

WTF?! How in the hell did they try to justify the reasoning for the scoring in their reviews?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Then I'd recommend you perform said research with haste, and refrain from posting incredulous replies to others' assertions regarding the topic until the research is done. I've seen you ask the same shit in several threads, and it's now been explained to you several times. Hopefully you won't ask again next week..

NeoGAF is a forum for holding civil, evidence-based discussion as defined in the TOS. I'm using a sound scientific methods to try to determine the relationships between the output resolution of a console and the human eyes ability to resolve the information at any given viewing distance relative to the screen size and pixel density of the display device.

So thanks for your contribution. I see that you didn't actually add anything meaningful to the discussion which is quite ironic considering your username.

SeanR1221

Yeah, join a very large party. Microsoft absolutely lost tons of sales by cheaping out on that GPU. I look at Xbox buyers complaining about how Assassin's Creed 4 graphics look, and it's one of the best looking games on my PS4.

It is disappointing more than anything. I spent 95% of my gaming on a 360 last gen. Would have liked to have stayed in the ecosystem.

Hah same. I gave up an awesome gamertag (Christmas Ape) and an almost 100k gamer score.

Ah well, I'm trophy whoring now!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I can't believe how much discourse the resolution of this game has caused. The game is garbage who cares.

You know where you are right? Discourse is kinda our thing here being a message board and all. We like to type messages to each other about stuff.

neogaf.gif

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
And they'll continue doing so. That's what they're paid to do, and until Sony has a significant lead, I doubt they'll stop their BS campaign. Heck weren't some of the press talking about how 1080p made Forza look amazing and playing that up? So it's important for just that one game, but any other game it doesn't matter. The bias is so clear.

True. It's pretty sad if you think about it. This is the industry we live in.

I personally think they should be held accountable. Someone buying a console a year from now will read reviews from last week and have a jaded outlook on what they are investing their money in.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anecdotal and all that jazz but I was speaking with my cousin's 11 year old son and he broke it down why he asked his parents to get him a ps4 over the Xbox one. His main point was that "there aren't that many games but they both have the same games" and the ps4 has better graphics in those games. Now it is very surprising that these kids are that informed about graphical differences irregardless of the "small" differences.

My little brother wanted a ps4 and now has one, (he's 13) but when I went over last night and told I also got an xbox one for ryse and dead rising all he did was give me a gross face and go BLEH lol.

Oppo

NeoGAF is a forum for holding civil, evidence-based discussion as defined in the TOS. I'm using a sound scientific methods to try to determine the relationships between the output resolution of a console and the human eyes ability to resolve the information at any given viewing distance relative to the screen size and pixel density of the display device.

So thanks for your contribution. I see that you didn't actually add anything meaningful to the discussion which is quite ironic considering your username.

This is all you need, the work has been done:

http://standards.smpte.org

Or alternatively the THX standards

Metfanant

I'm not sure if Ghost should really be used to make any conclusions. Even the PC version runs like shit.

I remember most people here concluding that IW is incompetent after the PS4 frame rate issues showed up
I agree...but I'm still gonn be shocked of the Xbone runs the next CoD game at the same resolution as the PS4 and shares all the same assets/performance...

120-240hz HDTVs just do frame doubling and it introduces a LOT of input lag. You will end up turning it off very quickly just like I did.
You cant just "turn off" 120hz...it's the refresh rate of your TV...

I can't believe how much discourse the resolution of this game has caused. The game is garbage who cares.
Thanks for stopping by

Raist

Banned
That is when it was running at 720p before the 1080p patch.

EDIT: "Update: Having reviewed the patch captures, there's an odd issue with tearing which caused some confusion, but we're fairly convinced now that in the revised version of the game at least, any judder is down to frame-rate drops and not the game running faster than 60Hz."

Huh. That quote was from the entire, separate article they published after the patch. They said there's barely any tearing, same for frame drops, and by analyzing the frames come to the conclusion that it's running above 60.
That edit makes no sense. What the fuck are they doing, seriously

Sean*O

WTF?! How in the hell did they try to justify the reasoning for the scoring in their reviews?

They claimed that "framerate is king" which I can tell you from experience, any framerate issues on the PS4 are overblown.. it's clearly not something that's frequent enough or noticeable enough to override the constant 720p with horrible upscaling artifacts & sharpening artifacts that are ever present on the Xbone. . at least not to me. I have a hard time understanding how people so sensitive to framerate couldn't be just as bothered or more bothered by the lower resolution and scaling/sharpening artifacts.

This isn't really a close comparison, if it were then an extremely minor framerate drop might be worth going over to the other platform, but not when you are giving up over half the pixels used to render the image.

I'll take the PS4 version 10 times out of 10.

Hubble

As someone who has preferred the 360 controller, I would appreciate more impressions to those who have both the XO and PS4 on the controller with COD and FPSs. Any other thoughts on this? I am wondering because I am seriously considering getting a PS4.

QaaQer

As someone who has preferred the 360 controller, I would appreciate more impressions to those who have both the XO and PS4 on the controller with COD and FPSs. Any other thoughts on this? I am wondering because I am seriously considering getting a PS4.

you should seek out some demo booths because some of it comes down to hand size.

I haven't played CoD on the PS4 yet and I don't have an XO at all yet but I'm in love with the DS4. I played every CoD up to Blops on the 360 and I honestly had no problem playing Killzone SF. With the PS3 I always had to get back into the groove for FPS games but the DS4 is just as natural as the 360 controller was for FPS games so far. I always preferred the asymmetrical thumbsticks as well but whatever positioning they're in now feels the same to me as they do on the 360.

JetJetJaguar

Neo Member
So I bought a PS4 and XB1 day one. .

Hi, I also plan to buy both systems so your post is valuable to me as I will have to decide which one to use for cross platform games. The main reason I was "all in" for XBOX cross platform last gen was the controller but I also liked how well the games flowed and how much better MS was at O.S. and networking. I have already tried the controller for PS4 and like how much more "XBOX Like" it is. So I am leaning getting my first cross platform game (FIFA) on the PS4.

I will add that I don't play consoles for the resolution. If I was a resolution junkie I would be back building up my gaming PC. I play consoles because "It just bloody well works!". So the smoothness of the gaming experience is my foremost concern. After that I care about what my friends are using as chatting during multiplayer is a big plus. Third is resolution. Viva both consoles!

Alchemy

DS4 > 360 Controller >>>>>>>> DS3

Haven't tried the Xbone controller so I don't know where it fits in, but the DS4 is fucking amazing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I preferred the 360 controller for shooters, but now prefer the DS4 over the XB1 controller.

beast786

Check the demo units. It amazes me unlike anything else, why do these controller only comes in one size. People hands varies great in sizes yet we are forced with one size fits all.

Point being try it your self. Ds4 has improved tremendously. but you need to try yourself as the answer is very subjective.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
the fact that my 12 year old nephew notice the difference between 720P and 1080P is telling and the gaming media is full of shit.

That because the PS4 version run between 60FPS and 90FPS. IW needs to lock it at 60FPS. I don't notice notice it because my TV have a 240Hz refresh rate

This is hilarious (because of the elitist showing off going on in your post) :D

You didn't notice it because:
a) you can't pick up on framerate judder, which makes it ironic since you're here making a defense on the game's framerate.
b) you're biased

The PS4 doesn't work that way, it'll output Ghosts at 60Hz no matter what your TV's refresh rate is. Which, btw, isn't really 240Hz, since is just a 60Hz panel with motion interpolation crap (I doubt you have a 120hz TN panel since you mentioned 240Hz). Your tv only accepts 60Hz inputs when gaming on your PS4. Connect your PC to your tv via HDMI, set the resolution in windows to 1080p @120Hz and tell me what happens (hint: windows will go black screen and after a few seconds it'll revert back to 1080p @60hz or whatever resolution you had before).

Unless you have a Seikio4KTV (which you don't, not 240Hz) or a 3D TV, which you didn't mention, and a specific model at that, then you can trick it into accepting a true 120Hz signal input via PC and a bunch of software.

edit:

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Maybe not full of shit, just awfully uninformed. Which is ironic since you were schooling journalist for being worse than your nephew at discerning resolution.

Metfanant

Which, btw, isn't really 240Hz, since is just a 60Hz panel with motion interpolation crap (I doubt you have a 120hz TN panel since you mentioned 240Hz). Your tv only accepts 60Hz inputs.
I agree with everything you said except this...there are plenty of panels with 120hz refresh rates out there to handle bluray movies properly at 24fps...

Motion interpolation is a completely different animal...its generally a "feature" of 120hz sets in an attempt to "improve" 60hz material...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I agree with everything you said except this...there are plenty of panels with 120hz refresh rates out there to handle bluray movies properly at 24fps...

Motion interpolation is a completely different animal...its generally a "feature" of 120hz sets in an attempt to "improve" 60hz material...

I meant from the PS4 while gaming. Sorry if that was unclear, my bad. Edited.
And of course, 24Hz/24p is a must for movie-watching :)

Metfanant

I meant from the PS4 while gaming. Sorry if that was unclear, my bad. Edited.
And of course, 24Hz/24p is a must for movie-watching :)
Ok cool...but yes I agree that in the context of console gaming it's always 60hz...so any games pushing beyond 60fps is gonna cause judder...and that is going to effect ALL sets...regardless of hz...

Top Bottom