• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

jjasper

Really can't blame MS or EA. This is pretty much the only thing MS has generating any positive press for the console and if MS is willing to pay what EA thinks a year late PS3/4 port cost why should they say no? Hopefully Respawn gets a good cut of that money hat.

Prine

Banned
Halo has lost most of its fans with the most recent installment. Gears has lost a lot of fans with the most recent installment. Destiny, CoD, and BF are multiplat and Destiny will be practically sponsored by Sony. Nobody can predict the dudebro.

You cant say that about Halo it still sold more than Reach, Gears most recent instalment wasnt a full fledged Gears like the previous 3. AS soon as those games hit with next gen visuals, combined with Titan Fall seems far stronger than anything else right now.

While Destiny is slanted towards PS4 its still a tick for gamers that want all these shooters on a single platform.

I must say, im expecting big things from 343 visually, Halo 4 still blows my mind.

codhand

zamp earned a lot respect for this, from me at least, but when you're richer than many of the people you work for you tend to probably not care too much what others, including superiors, think

Just realized Microsoft and Sony are polar opposites at the moment, one is allowing developers to release games early from contracts (Lone Survivor) so the developer can benefit directly. The other throws a literal fuckton of money to do the opposite.

Hrm.

Destiny being Bungie means it should sell Gangbusters regardless.. but I feel like the design they're going for won't sit very well with the FPS crowd. So I'd be hesitant to include it with the other games listed.

The_Holy_Puck

Neo Member
I said I found the thought process abhorrent, not that I didn't understand it. I hate the of games becoming completely obsolete because some new one showed up, and while I don't exactly HATE EA like some do (not all the time anyway, I do hate incidents like this though) they are far from being one of my favorite publishers simply because I don't give a damn about most of their output.

I guess I just don't understand why you hate second iterations of games.. Thought maybe you didn't understand what I was saying. It's an online game, it will become obsolete, it's inevitable with these types of games.

Akainu

That's a shame, not on you but the situation you found yourself in.

But honestly I do believe, if I remember correctly, you don't loose much by jumping into the second game without playing the first..but I've pinned you as a Sony WO/man so maybe not.. :/.
It was the same with Mass Effect 2 too. Until the Trilogy release I didn't bother with it. Recaps aren't my kind of thing.

Respawn surely were spending time on the PS4 version. EA pooped on all that hard work.

Probably impossible due to a strict contract, but it would be delightful if Respawn could legally release for PS4 a "Titanfall 1.1: EAt It Edition" right after the Bone's version is out.

Why are we assuming that they (Respawn) even really care about this? I mean, Respawn is cool and all, but are we really ready to forgive them for their hand in making CoD so popular?

Yep, certainly does suck for Respawn but thanks for Zampella for being so honest, gets many brownie points for that. I hope MS gave EA enough money to cover 2-3 million PS4 sales...

EDIT: We knew they were working on a PS4 version guys, remember that trailer where they went through their office and they had dualshock 4's and 'blurred out black boxes'? Sucks that time going to waste

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but I thought I read something around the release of Gears3 that Cliff said Gears 3 would be the last console exclusive gears of war. Epic owns the IP not MS.

mekes

Titanfall never really grabbed me. It looks fun, but I know myself and I think I'd enjoy it for 1 session or 2. I'm picky with shooters these days, the art needs to be spot on, story needs to be intriguing and Titanfall just didn't tick those boxes for me. My Destiny lays elsewhere.

Jonboy

Has this more recent exchange on twitter already been posted?

Screen_Shot_2013_10_29_at_9_55_20_PM.png

Pain

Banned
Of all the reasons to not buy a game, spite is the worst.

And the game is out on three different platforms too. It's not like making a decision between ps4 and x1
Honestly it's not such a bad thing to do.
But if ur really looking forward to play the game, buy it used.

megalowho

So much for Respawn being an independent developer. Sounds like their publisher has their budding franchise by the balls to me.

Not terribly surprising though, Microsoft has bragged about their war chest and damn right they're gonna spend it. Bet we see more deals like this in 2014, especially if the sales momentum isn't there. If Sony wants to get a piece of the action, they'll need to open up their wallets as well.

Question.

Does Respawn have a multigame contract with EA? Or is it just for Titanfall 1.

If Titanfall does well on 360, PC, and XB1 (which I'm sure it will)...that kind of ensures the franchise success for Titanfall 2, etc.

These guys are rich beyond belief, and with an established IP, there's much less risk involved financially for them to self-publish.

Is there any reason for them to stay with EA for Titanfall 2, etc? Why not just cut out the middleman? Can't imagine them not being secured funding if TF1 is a big hit.

Pain

Banned
Why are we assuming that they (Respawn) even really care about this? I mean, Respawn is cool and all, but are we really ready to forgive them for their hand in making CoD so popular?
This is the saddest post I've ever seen.

And if the latest tweets are anything to go by, Vince isn't happy about exclusivity deals being made behind his back.

PBY

Banned
Question.

If Titanfall does well on 360, PC, and XB1 (which I'm sure it will)...that kind of ensures the franchise success for Titanfall 2, etc.

These guys are rich beyond belief, and with an established IP, there's much less risk involved financially for them to self-publish.

Is there any reason for them to stay with EA for Titanfall 2, etc? Why not just cut out the middleman? Can't imagine them not being secured funding if TF1 is a big hit.
If they self publish- where are they securing funding from?

Question.

Pretty sure the partnership is for one game.

Question.

EA Partners is normally a multi game deal but EA can pull out after the first game if the game bombs. No idea of the developer has the same option but I wouldnt count on it.

Lessons learned in this thread: don't mess with the Buttocks.

Appreciate Vince laying it all out there. PS4 owners will just have to wait a bit longer for the second game. If all you want to play is TF 1, get it for one of the other 3 platforms.

Because popular games are bad as all those nasty 'casuals' get to call themselves gamers? (even though they inject loads of cash); not seeing it.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still doesn't change the fact that there's a high possibility Titanfall won't be coming to PS4 ever. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
What does that mean I got both consoles preordered. What am i putting in my pipe? The salt?

You sound a little on the offense. Console wars have gone to your head.

Top Bottom