• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respect the Original Yakuza (Video)

Hey everyone, I'm back again with a new video on the Yakuza series. It's been 6 years since I last did a video on one of these games but I had to take things back to basics before moving forward with the games I haven't covered. This video covers the positive aspects of the very first Yakuza game for PS2, using the recent Yakuza Restored undub patch as the initial spark for discussion. A lot of people write off the PS2 entries, but I wanted to explain what it does well and the benefits of starting with it over the remake or prequel. Regardless of where you started, I hope I can inspire some people to reevaluate this game using the recent patch, and hopefully foster some interest in the community to work on one for the PS3/RPCS3 versions of the HD Collection. Let me know your thoughts!

Bragr

Banned
Hey everyone, I'm back again with a new video on the Yakuza series. It's been 6 years since I last did a video on one of these games but I had to take things back to basics before moving forward with the games I haven't covered. This video covers the positive aspects of the very first Yakuza game for PS2, using the recent Yakuza Restored undub patch as the initial spark for discussion. A lot of people write off the PS2 entries, but I wanted to explain what it does well and the benefits of starting with it over the remake or prequel. Regardless of where you started, I hope I can inspire some people to reevaluate this game using the recent patch, and hopefully foster some interest in the community to work on one for the PS3/RPCS3 versions of the HD Collection. Let me know your thoughts!

Just out of curiosity, I see you have very few videos recently, but you get good views, you have several videos with over 100k views, why so infrequent over the last few years? can't you make money on a channel like that if you stuck with it more regularly?

decisions

Dude, so great to hear from you! I consider you one of the better gaming YouTubers to have ever come around, and I love your Yakuza coverage. I’ve used your previous videos to get several of my friends into the series. Keep up the quality content man!

Just out of curiosity, I see you have very few videos recently, but you get good views, you have several videos with over 100k views, why so infrequent over the last few years? can't you make money on a channel like that if you stuck with it more regularly?
Yeah, I didn't get much out during the 3 years I was stationed in South Korea. I have always valued quality over quantity, but I think hyper-focusing on that caused me to have some kind of writer's block that prevented me from finishing any video scripts. Those views are over several years, so it isn't as much as you might think at first glance. Making videos is just a hobby of mine currently, and only recently have I started opening up to the idea of delegating part of the editing process to someone to decrease the workload on myself per video, since I still work full time. This has and should continue to increase my output while maintaining quality standards. Even just the 2 videos I've done in the past 2 months is more frequent than I've uploaded in years.

poodaddy

Not gonna lie, I came in here so ready to be a dismissive ass as I couldn't possibly see why someone would choose the classic over the remake. Watched the video, now I'm completely on board OP, you make some really strong points and I wish I could have experienced that as my entry into the series. Good video.

SeraphJan

Just like many great third party franchise we had enjoyed today, they all started their root (or at least popularized) on 6th gen

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, they really went overboard with the voice cast in the first game's localization.

I'm glad they decided to keep the subtitle structure for the majority of the future games.

lachesis

My thoughts from Dec 2005

I actually enjoyed the original Yakuza (PS2) dubbing for U.S. with Mark Hamill being the Majima. Very menacing.
Original PS2 Ryu Ga Gotoku 1 & 2 were my game of generation for PS2. Being a long time Sega fan, it took me a long time to warm up to PS2 - and RGG did the job for me (and Winning Eleven series)...

It's amazing how the series have come so far, and now became so popular in the west too. Kudos for the guy who re-did the HD remaster ver.

Not gonna lie, I came in here so ready to be a dismissive ass as I couldn't possibly see why someone would choose the classic over the remake. Watched the video, now I'm completely on board OP, you make some really strong points and I wish I could have experienced that as my entry into the series. Good video.
Thanks, I’m glad you gave it a chance. I wonder if you think the same about the second Kiwami because I have even harsher things to say about that one.

Great video, I'm sure it took a lot of work. You're right, the original is the way to play. It has the same hazy urban feel as the Japanese Yakuza movies of the 00s and 90s.

Almost everything that makes the series great is already in the first one. Involving story, cool characters, hard ass beat downs, interesting world to explore, fun diversions. Don't get me wrong, I love the later Yakuza for how wacky they get but the first two had their own special period atmosphere. Maybe it's because the year they were made was closer to when their inspirations were made. By Yakuza 5, there was some of that, but it had become a parody of itself. By Yakuza 7, it's barely even about Yakuzas anymore. Judgement feels like it recaptures some of the old Japanese movie/TV feel.

poodaddy

Thanks, I’m glad you gave it a chance. I wonder if you think the same about the second Kiwami because I have even harsher things to say about that one.
To be honest I can't speak to it brother, as I never played the original release of 2. I played 2 Kiwami and it was amazing to me, but again haven't played the original, but I'm curious to learn about the differences.

Skifi28

Great video. Also saw the Patlabor one, very well done. I didn't even know there was a live action sequel. Thank you!

Great video, I'm sure it took a lot of work. You're right, the original is the way to play. It has the same hazy urban feel as the Japanese Yakuza movies of the 00s and 90s.

Almost everything that makes the series great is already in the first one. Involving story, cool characters, hard ass beat downs, interesting world to explore, fun diversions. Don't get me wrong, I love the later Yakuza for how wacky they get but the first two had their own special period atmosphere. Maybe it's because the year they were made was closer to when their inspirations were made. By Yakuza 5, there was some of that, but it had become a parody of itself. By Yakuza 7, it's barely even about Yakuzas anymore. Judgement feels like it recaptures some of the old Japanese movie/TV feel.
I actually really love Yakuza 5 and its story, even after replaying it. I would have ended Kiryu's story there (with Ishin and 0 of course).

I actually really love Yakuza 5 and its story, even after replaying it. I would have ended Kiryu's story there (with Ishin and 0 of course).
I liked parts of Yakuza 5's story. It just felt too bloated in places. It was just overwhelming in scope and activity. Kiryu and Shinada's stories are too padded. Did love all the cities though! Such a huge game, for better or worse.

I liked parts of Yakuza 5's story. It just felt too bloated in places. It was just overwhelming in scope and activity. Kiryu and Shinada's stories are too padded. Did love all the cities though! Such a huge game, for better or worse.
I feel like making Saejima the second protag was a poor decision because his is very front loaded with restrictive areas. It’s intentional to some degree obviously, but maybe having Kiryu as the series staple and then going into Shinada as a newcomer would have been a better choice. Since it feels more random doing his story so late into the game.

Top Bottom