• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Restaurant Owner To Be Deported - His Wife voted for Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenz44

Banned
I feel awful for the husband. He didn't do anything wrong, but his wife is insanely selfish. She wanted to screw everyone else over, but only changed her mind once it directly hurt her. She would have been fine if it was anyone else's husband or wife or whatever, she probably would have been happy for it. 0 sympathy out of 10.

I feel awful for the husband. He didn't do anything wrong, but his wife is insanely selfish. She wanted to screw everyone else over, but only changed her mind once it directly hurt her. She would have been fine if it was anyone else's husband or wife or whatever, she probably would have been happy for it. 0 sympathy out of 10.

TBF he is an illegal immigrant, which to some people is the equivalent of being part of the 9/11 attack.

The funny part about this would be if people who work for the restaurant lost their jobs because of an illegal being deported. When you make blanket statements about Mexicans taking our jobs it ignores all the illegals who actually create them.

SirNinja

1283941777_watermelon-slingshot-to-the-face.gif

^ Distant cousin?

WormBoi

Banned
Roberto Beristain is the owner of a popular restaurant in Granger called Eddie’s Steak Shed. His family says he came to the United States from Mexico City illegally in 1998. He later obtained documentation to work in the country and checked in with ICE each year.

It was during one of those check ins last month that ICE took Beristain into custody because of an incident in 2000. Roberto and his wife, Helen, were visiting Niagara Falls that year and accidentally crossed into Canada. Officers there detained Roberto when they realized he was in the U.S. illegally. Helen says a lawyer helped get Roberto out on bail, but he was told he had to voluntarily leave the country within a month.

It's all right here.

Frankly he should have been deported a long time ago if ICE bothered to check on this sooner. It hardly seems related to Trump.

Future

All that needs to be said. If she was reading this article about someone else she would have most likely assumed they deserved it....because she assumed everyone on the list deserved it. Now here eyes are opened to how these cases are actually handled, and deserves the results

numble

Roberto Beristain is the owner of a popular restaurant in Granger called Eddie’s Steak Shed. His family says he came to the United States from Mexico City illegally in 1998. He later obtained documentation to work in the country and checked in with ICE each year.

It was during one of those check ins last month that ICE took Beristain into custody because of an incident in 2000. Roberto and his wife, Helen, were visiting Niagara Falls that year and accidentally crossed into Canada. Officers there detained Roberto when they realized he was in the U.S. illegally. Helen says a lawyer helped get Roberto out on bail, but he was told he had to voluntarily leave the country within a month.

It's all right here.

Frankly he should have been deported a long time ago if ICE bothered to check on this sooner. It hardly seems related to Trump.
ICE checks in on him every year. The policy was to not deport. Something changed with ICE policy this year.

turtle553

How do you accidentally cross the border in Niagara falls? Were there no checkpoints in the 90s?

Rainbow bridge stretches between the US and Canada. It has a footpath. Once you cross the middle you are in another country, but the checkpoints are on the end. It was definitely less of a problem pre 9/11 to cross over. I had a coworker who accidentally walked into Canada while trying to get a view of the falls from the bridge.

rjinaz

It's all right here.

No this is becoming a theme now with Trump as president. These people are checking in, as they have done for years, and now they are being detained. If Trump wasn't president then they wouldn't have been. It's that simple. And yes I know, he was told to leave! We get it, they shouldn't be here anyway. Go back to Mexico.

rpmurphy

If she expected Trump to not deport good people, then perhaps she should've realized that was already for the most part the status quo and Trump wouldn't have needed to make fighting illegal immigration THE top issue of his campaign. I mean, there were other red flags too, being that Trump and his senior advisors are racist and xenophobic, but I guess that didn't fit into the feel-good message she was looking for.

Ploid 3.0

It's amazing how people are so easily convinced other races, maybe even their own are so bad. All it take is a little selective coverage and the ball starts to roll from there. Mexican people like other groups, are usually some of the nicest people you'll meet. Immigrants are as well, everyone, but because of examples of bad apples which get exaggerated by ill intentioned politicians you suddenly clutch your purse when you walk past a unfamiliar race student that likes comfortable clothes.

So imagine the countless good people that are being deported for a few example of possible bad ones. It's all stupid, congratulations on throwing out good kind people due to fear.

I became a US citizen when I turned 14, Mexican born. My wife is a white American woman, I would be absolutely baffled if she had voted for Trump.

The dinner conversations at that house like wtf and dude was in the US illegally?!

This is why checking in with ICE is a horrible idea with Trump in office.

I became a US citizen when I turned 14, Mexican born. My wife is a white American woman, I would be absolutely baffled if she had voted for Trump.

The dinner conversations at that house like wtf and dude was in the US illegally?!

People in general are idiots.

"Well I didn't mean the Mexicans I like!"

entremet

Did ICE get special orders from Trump? They seem more aggressive, although to be fair, they were pretty aggressive under Obama too.

rjinaz

Did ICE get special orders from Trump? They seem more aggressive, although to be fair, they were pretty aggressive under Obama too.

It's a good question. I don't know if they did or not, I think that since Trump has said any undocumented with a criminal background should be deported, they are just having a free for all since they know they won't get any pushback.

rjinaz

This is why checking in with ICE is a horrible idea with Trump in office.

People in general are idiots.

"Well I didn't mean the Mexicans I like!"

I tend to agree. It's time for these people that have any kind of record, even if just caught before, to stop checking in with ICE. Your best bet is to lay low and hope they don't come for you because checking in is just handing yourself over willingly. But do what you think is best, in the end of the day, either way is a risk.

norm9

From the article-
"All of the good people will come out," she told CNN affiliate WSBT after her husband's detention in March. "I don't think ICE is out there to just detain anybody and break families."

Husbando already in detention and she's still defending. Aye caramba.

Despite their lawyers' filing a habeas corpus petition and requesting a stay on Beristain's removal order, ICE covertly deported him at night without notifying other involved parties and before the immigration judges had a chance to issue rulings.

Wait is this legal?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
"I wish I didn't vote at all," Helen Beristain said

Getting warmer but still not quite there yet, idiot.

The correct answer is:

"I should have voted for the person who wasn't going to permanently destroy my family."

I have no sympathy for the wife at the moment. But I feel horrible for the husband. He didn't want any of this at all and not only did his wife vote for Trump, he also got deported with some extremely shady methods from the ICE in my opinion.

Alchemy

Classic conservative voter. Support toxic and hurtful legislation and suddenly realize these things are awful when it turns around and impacts them.

NeOak

Been in the country since 1998 and didn't go through the necessary process to become a legitimate citizen? Why?

Because it's not as easy as signing a checkbox that says "Check here if you want to be a citizen".

The wife could have sponsored him years ago to get the residency at least. But that would have required him to leave the US first and then start the paperwork while he is outside.

If, however, the immigrant entered the United States by unlawful means, such as having been a stowaway or crossing over the border through a fence, adjustment of status is not an option. The only possibility is to apply for the green card through "consular processing," meaning the immigrant will attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in his or her home country. That, however, carries a risk of not being allowed back into the U.S. for many years -- three years if the period of unlawful presence was 180 days or more, and ten years if the period of unlawful stay was one year or more.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo...et-green-card-marriage-citizen-resident.html#

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Because it's not as easy as signing a checkbox that says "Check here if you want to be a citizen".

That and the fact that an undocumented citizen going to the immigration office may wind up, you know, getting deported, was probably somewhat of a deterrent as well.

Just going out on a limb there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom