• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO: a video gaming magazine Kickstarter. (Parish, Seanbaby, Green, Kohler, etc)

I do agree that the pitch isn't very good. You'd think their video would have something that would appeal to retro folks and not just a weird CG spinning magazine. I trust the product due to the names, but the pitch, eh.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Is this supposed to be the successor to Gamespite?

Nope, not at all. I'm just contributing a monthly column and have had no involvement in the planning of any of this. The fact that my name is listed first on that page is completely random and shouldn't be taken to mean I'm some sort of kingpin -- I'm just a freelance contributor.

Tobor

Not interested in their business model. Printing on paper is a waste, and pledging for a digital only subscription is still contributing money towards the print mag.

It they were all digital I'd back it.

Ryu751

Banned
I don't understand kick starter. We pledge money and take all the risk. Is there a percentage of the company with the investment. If then, that is cool. Otherwise let them go to a bank and take the risk, and if the bank won't loan the money then it probably is going to be poor product to begin with.

.la1n

Not a bad group of people to have involved but there is a reason game publications have gone the way of the dodo.

mattp

I don't understand kick starter. We pledge money and take all the risk. Is there a percentage of the company with the investment. If then, that is cool. Otherwise let them go to a bank and take the risk, and if the bank won't loan the money then it probably is going to be poor product to begin with.
its a site for donations, not investment

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jeff Green, Kat Bailey and Chris Kohler?

http://i.minus.com/iOkTnNiBm6qHT.gif

That is... if I had any money... :(
What the... when did this gif happen?

Also, I like that they seem to be reading this thread:
BOB MACKEY UPDATE (for NeoGaf'ers): Yes, obviously we contacted Bob :) But due to potential full-time gigs he had to opt out at this time. Also, this contributor list will continue to evolve for the life of this magazine.

d9gmHGZ.jpg

Kevin's back!

RETRO said:
And ALL PRINT subscriptions will include the digital enhanced versions free!
someone finally gets it!

I currently sub only Spielbox, hope to see good EUR pricing for this!

i love print magazines and retro game magazines but i hate the kickstarter model, would never donate to one. would consider a subscription if this got off the ground but personally i don't pay for things that don't exist yet :)

Bog

Junior Ace
I'll gladly buy issues when they're available, but c'mon already with the Kickstarters. It just makes you look bad.

mcw

Well, good luck to them, I suppose. I won't support any project that involves Martin Alessi, unfortunately.

Well, good luck to them, I suppose. I won't support any project that involves Martin Alessi, unfortunately.

Curious, why not? I've never heard of him.

I'm kind of second guessing it myself. At first I thought it was strictly retro games. And I thought Parish was one of the main people, since he was listed first.

Mendoza

John Ricciardi mocking them on twitter for their "Strech Goals".

Good. Their stretch goals are ridiculously not thought out and not exciting, enticing, or fun.
Because of this, I'm actually hesitant in donating.

Also, judging from the screenshot and video, the page layout and design doesn't invoke "retro".

Edit: Oh wow. It was a spelling error... lol

wondermega

Subscribed to thread
Will subscribe to mag
Holy shit, pinch me, dreams do come true!
edit: Mike Kennedy is running this? Awesome guy. Now I actually wanna write for it too..

polg

Just like with the retronauts one, all physical goods are US only. I think I will pass on this one too

Flunkie

Banned
Am I not the only one that is confused by Jeff Green's participation, as it would seem to play into a huge conflict of interests with EA... right?

My main criticism of this is the same criticism I had for Retronauts.

Not enough PC coverage. Jeff Green being there is great but he's going to be the token PC guy there.

jblank83

Backed

Hell, $12 aint nothing, and if it makes something good happen, like this, I'm all for it. Good luck to these guys. Here's hoping for some good journalism, or at least some quality hobbyist material.

IrishNinja

wow @ that lineup, would've backed for Kohler & Parish alone but there's a lot to like there...also so glad it's got a paper option and not just boring digital, haha

it's gonna be nice to have something in this lane beyond Retro Gamer (recently subbed to that one too), think i'm in for $30.

PaulLFC

Why is the design just GamesTM?

DSC01295.JPG
As a GamesTM subscriber, this was the first thing I thought of. In fact, I assumed they'd licenced the "Retro" name from the magazine. It seems not, though. Strange coincidence.

Says they will ship internationally, but apparently you won't get the total cost until later?
Digital only, if at all, for me then. I'm fairly sure they could have had a cost before they put the Kickstarter up if they wanted to - they know how many issues they're shipping and a rough page count so can work out weight, dimensions etc. Just makes it seem as if international subscribers are an after thought.

Dylan

Love everyone involved, but Kickstarters are starting to seem a little... sad?

It's sort of like if Hootie & The Blowfish couldn't find a label for their next album, so they Kickstarted it instead.

Our childhoods are officially on life support.

Backed for Parish and Seanbaby. Worth it just for them! A bunch of the other writers are definitely good stuff...but Seanbaby seals it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I love some Black Dragon, but... I don't get it. You can't just put together a group blog or something? This can't be a full time thing for these guys.

Lijik

Saw enough names I liked in that list that when my paycheck rolls in on tuesday, im going all in on that physical copy tier

Loxley

I love some Black Dragon, but... I don't get it. You can't just put together a group blog or something? This can't be a full time thing for these guys.

Yeah, I don't have the confidence that there is the readership to keep this thing going past the first year, at least in physical form.

I mean, hey, I wish these guys all the best, but a magazine seems like a really odd thing to start-up in 2013. It's like starting up your own VHS production company. I'm surprised they didn't just go straight for a new website about Retro games - it would certainly stand out given that almost every damn Retro games website is run by fans and not what I would consider "professional" writers.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm... I got a random e-mail from GameGavel about backing some magazine named RETRO -- and it turns out to be this. I'm a bit surprised...

Hey, Kobun-guy -- what's the connection between the eBay gaming alternative and your gang o' ink flingers?

Top Bottom