• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO: a video gaming magazine Kickstarter. (Parish, Seanbaby, Green, Kohler, etc)

PaulLFC

Yeah, I don't have the confidence that there is the readership to keep this thing going past the first year, at least in physical form.

I mean, hey, I wish these guys all the best, but a magazine seems like a really odd thing to start-up in 2013. It's like starting up your own VHS production company. I'm surprised they didn't just go straight for a new website about Retro games - it would certainly stand out given that almost every damn Retro games website is run by fans and not what I would consider "professional" writers.
Didn't at least some of them try that with Gamespite? The content was great, but apparently the readership wasn't there and it was stopped earlier this year.

Stranger still, it isn't fully devoted to retro gaming:

Don't let the name RETRO fool you. It was meant to be a double entendre meaning we are bringing back a Retro style magazine with the heart and soul of past magazines, AND will feature both Retro and current generation gaming content, news, exclusive interviews, reviews, top tens, guides and a whole bunch more!

wrowa

Hmm... I got a random e-mail from GameGavel about backing some magazine named RETRO -- and it turns out to be this. I'm a bit surprised...

Hey, Kobun-guy -- what's the connection between the eBay gaming alternative and your gang o' ink flingers?

The Kickstarter is by Mike Kennedy -- the same guy who runs GameGavel.

They've also got an 18 page "preview" issue for "concept and appearance only", which is also full of GameGavel ads.

Pitch video was terrible. Not really feeling it, especially with the forced "new games too!" angle.

I'll stick to Retrogamer magazine.

gabbo

Will certainly keep an eye out. Mostly for Not the Lord of the Rings himself, Jeff Green, but to see how this goes.

Vinnk

I'm all for another print magazine. I love the UK Retrogamer magazine (getting a subscription sent to Japan is not cheap) but it has a strong focus on 80's computer games for systems that never came out or were not popular in the states (Spectrum, BBC micro, etc). It will be nice to have another magazine with a retro focus.

Totally backing this one.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Hey Everyone!

Thanks for discussing, praising and criticizing our Kickstarter campaign over here. We have had LOTS of backers thanks to this thread. I wanted to clear a few things up. First off, we aren't going to make everyone happy with the contributor list. I did my best in assembling this list and really believe when combined this team will really create some great material with loads of variety. Remember, this magazine offers them a different creation environment than most of them are used to, in that RETRO is really an Indie gaming magazine. There are no big media companies running the show and they will all have more freedom in the creation of their content. This is what I am most excited about.

RETRO will be a magazine about RETRO gaming AND current generation RETRO gaming. We will preview, review and discuss current generation games that have some historical or RETRO relevance. We will sprinkle in some great interviews with past gaming pioneers as well as up and coming dev's in the console and Indie gaming space. RETRO will be feature driven, with less emphasis on previews and reviews. And adverts will be kept to the absolute minimum!

Since launching the Kickstarter we have also had many great writers, a few from Europe and Japan, reach out and want to contribute to RETRO. As such, we will be continually adding to our contributor list so RETRO covers all the bases of retro gaming, from the USA and around the world.

We will be polling backers upon the completion of the campaign and get their input on things they might want to see in the pages of RETRO. Even though I am the publisher, I will also be a reader and can't wait to see this magazine come together. Like many of you I've grown up reading content from all the contributors and to have their new material all in the pages of a single magazine is really exciting.

We will be announcing a new member to our contributors list today! So stay tuned. It just keeps getting better!

Mike Kennedy,
GameGavel/RETRO

The only person on that list I give two shits about is seanbaby and he's more than god damn enough to make me donate. I'd read a magazine about fucking minerals/faucets/boring things just to read his columns.

The initial idea excited me but between the video, ads, split focus... not feeling this at all. Retrogamer and Scroll will keep me content.

Baleoce

Seanbaby and Contri. Take my money. The whole printed version shipping to US only makes me sad face, but I'll still back the hell out of it for digital.

ShadyJ

Jeff Green, Kat Bailey and Chris Kohler?

iOkTnNiBm6qHT.gif

That is... if I had any money... :(

dat gif lol

GameGavel

Neo Member
Ships within the US only.

:(

We will ship internationally even though it says USA only -- that's what we get for launching the campaign during the confusion of a gaming expo. :) Our mistake. We will send a separate invoice (paypal or credit card) after the campaign closes for any additional shipping.

PaulLFC

We will ship internationally even though it says USA only -- that's what we get for launching the campaign during the confusion of a gaming expo. :) Our mistake. We will send a separate invoice (paypal or credit card) after the campaign closes for any additional shipping.
Are there any rough figures for this shipping? In my case, to the UK. I have no idea how much shipping would cost so I'm reluctant to back above digital at the moment.

Awesome lineup. But I can't help notice that you are already having to explain away the limited scope implied by your name. Some companies start focused in one area under one name, then expand, and find they have a branding problem. Example: Burlington Coat Factory -- We're More Than Great Coats! You have the benefit of knowing this before you even launch, so maybe think about that. :)

IrishNinja

supporting this soon, still trying to see if i can swing a higher tier (being so close to mighty no. 9 messes me up, haha)...should we be worried about this reaching its goal though? lotta time left, but still

jozero

Neo Member
I backed it, good luck ! This is GAF however so I have to complain about something ....

So you have around 10 of the most recognized voices (podcasts) and faces in the gaming industry, and the kickstarter pitch looks like an infomercial from the 2000s. Why not have the writers *talk* about the magazine ? You can't tell what the heck is going on in the video if its viewed on a mobile device anyways. I saw the video linked from twitter and was confused, and only returned and backed it when it was mentioned on the Geekbox.

baphomet

Just backed for my year of the printed mag.I have complete faith this is going to be quality.

Also Congrats to Chris Kohler on his recent wedding.

GameGavel

Neo Member
I am excited to announce former EGM Editor in Chief, Ed Semrad is coming out of retirement to contribute to the pages of RETRO!

Thanks again for the support here from NEOGAF! The entire team has high hopes for this magazine and we need the continued support of gamers to keep this train chugging down the tracks!

We have a few more exciting announcements forthcoming so stay tuned!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/socalmike/retro-the-multi-format-throw-back-video-game-magaz

Thanks again!!

- Mike

IrishNinja

having recently picked up some classic EGM's this is really cool to hear!

also: just about halfway to goal with just over half the time left, i wanna say? looking good! this is honestly my most exciting KS going right now, gonna tweet/FB when i put in my $ & try to keep this one bumped for exposure. there's no way HG101 & those spots aren't aware of this, yeah?

GameGavel

Neo Member
having recently picked up some classic EGM's this is really cool to hear!

also: just about halfway to goal with just over half the time left, i wanna say? looking good! this is honestly my most exciting KS going right now, gonna tweet/FB when i put in my $ & try to keep this one bumped for exposure. there's no way HG101 & those spots aren't aware of this, yeah?

Thanks! This is really going to be a great magazine! I can't wait to read it myself as I have grown up reading material from all of these guys! Please support us and this team as something like this may never happen again!

We have more announcements to reveal as we move forward :)

nbthedude

Seanbaby...ugh. Am I going to have to endure more gay bashing jokes about things that are ""gay and "faggery" from him if I subscribe?

Crap like this: http://restofthecrap.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/200606a.jpg

Oh look, a joke about Phil Collins sucking men's dicks and Batman Forever being gay in the same column! a twofer!

It would be nice if I could say that kind of stuff was rare in Seanbaby's writing but it wasn't. Those columns he did for EGM were just copying Old Man Murray a decade late. At least the OMM guys had the excuse that "it was the 90's" and their douchebaggery isage of "fag this" and "fag that" was popular. It wasnt even cool any more by the time Seanbaby was doing it in the 2000s.

I always winced every time he was on a one up podcast cause I knew I'd be treated to someone making cheap jokes at the expense of my sexuality.

I like the rest of the cast, but I have a real problem with Seanbaby's sense of humor.

GameGavel

Neo Member
We have it on good authority Bob Mackey will now be joining the RETRO contributor team :) This just keeps getting better!

Our entire team appreciates all the support we are getting from the NeoGAF community. Please help keep spreading the word!

Help us Tweet out the RETRO Lovin':
Veteran Video Game Journalists Join Forces to KICKSTART A New Print Magazine; RETRO. http://kck.st/1a042KG

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sounds interesting, Parish alone makes this worth considering... guy is one of the few game writers I actually follow and read everything he puts out. Love his analysis on level design in particular, even though we don't quite see eye to eye on the classic Ys games or Xenogears ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing Dr. Sparkle of Chrontendo fame get a slot on here either...

Top Bottom