• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So close to getting an OSSC, my number is literally next in line.

I only hope that VGPerfection won't run out by the time I wake up tomorrow, their most recent post says they have a hundred or so left in stock

So close to getting an OSSC, my number is literally next in line.

I only hope that VGPerfection won't run out by the time I wake up tomorrow, their most recent post says they have a hundred or so left in stock
I'm fairly sure bucko gives priority to people whos numbers come up. So you should be okay. Enjoy it.

Galdelico

Ran that video on loop for a while. All signs are gone. YAY

Went and played like 40mins of Tobal 2.

The UI is back again.

Am I going to have to run a video like that after every time I play a game with static UI, or is the image retention something that can go away by itself?

Same thing happens on my LG 27MU67, 4K IPS monitor.
That image retention/after-flicker effect - which is temporary, so you don't have to run that video all the times, you just need to turn the monitor off and leave it for a while - is not caused by static graphic elements in general, but only by heavily flickering 480i objects. I posted about the same topic a couple of times, a few pages back.
Fighting Vipers and Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn do the same thing (they both sport an intense-flickering UI), but you can try and leave on pause for two hours any 240p Street Fighter game, for example, and nothing will happen.

It really looks like severe flicker puts the crystals of (some? All?) IPS displays under stress, and that's the result. I remember reading on Steam people freaking out about the very same issue, with Metal Gear Rising when running at interlaced resolutions on PC. Plus, as it's been mentioned as well, New 3DS XL's IPS screens suffer from it too, and you can trigger the very same occurrence by playing stuff like Galaxy Force II, which has parts of its UI which flicker at a very high frequency.

It's surely annoying, and so far I haven't managed to find a solution (I'm not even sure there's any).
Unfortunately, after having experienced IPS displays, I can't get back to TN panels either - I own a TN Asus too - even though they don't suffer from those problems at all... Especially with retro stuff, colors look so off on them, and the color shift in TATE mode is pretty much unbearable to me. :/

I thought the numbers for the OSSC waiting list would update in increments of at least 100, but they only did it around 50 or so yesterday (2848 - 2901).

Currently #2945 on the reserve list, and I really hope I'm in that last set of invitations. Because if this tweet is anything to go by, today's update (if there's going to be one in the first place) will be the last one

unknown.png

I also bought all the scart cables for my consoles, so this would really bite if I have those without a decent quality scaler that costs under $200 USD

Galdelico

I thought the smaller increments were due to the fact they had some kind of issue with PSU supplies, not because of an actual shortage of OSSC units.
It could be worth emailing Matt and ask for clarifications. He's always been super kind and responsive, when I bought my OSSC.

vMagix

Neo Member
Didn't even know this thread existed.

Finally finished my setup. GSCARTSW, OSSC, Samsung UE32K5600 (which has under 10ms input lag in game mode)

All this just because I had to give away my Trinitron last year due to lack of space in the back bedroom.

http://imgur.com/a/G6Qcm

KlotePino

Pardon my ignorance but how do you know your position on the OSSC waiting list, signed up a little while ago but it's never been clear to me which position I'm in and which numbers are rolling out.

Finally got my order for the OSSC in, cannot wait for that piece of beauty to arrive

Pardon my ignorance but how do you know your position on the OSSC waiting list, signed up a little while ago but it's never been clear to me which position I'm in and which numbers are rolling out.

If you're getting the OSSC Newsletter from VideoGamePerfection, go to the bottom of those email and click on "To change your subscription, click here." and your number should be on the url of it

They're currently on 2904 - 2956, check their Twitter or Tumblr for updates on the number queue or stock remaining

Shaneus

Finally got one of my two bargain basement PVMs working with my Megadrive.

Now to work out what to connect to my second one. PS1? PC somehow? Dreamcast somehow? I can't see any of them not looking fucking amazing on these monitors. Hngh.

Mega

Banned
Finally got one of my two bargain basement PVMs working with my Megadrive.

Now to work out what to connect to my second one. PS1? PC somehow? Dreamcast somehow? I can't see any of them not looking fucking amazing on these monitors. Hngh.

Get a scart switch and have them all connected!

Krelian

I had my OSSC modded with the Audio add-on board and got it back yesterday. I'm very happy with it! It still outputs video (and now audio) over DVI though and I think not all DVI cables support audio. Just something to think about if anybody else is thinking about having their OSSC upgraded.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Are they still producing the gscartsw on occasion? I stopped paying attention for a while, and it sold out... but I'd like to buy one of those and the gcompsw.

It's never easy :(

Do you recommend one? I've been meaning to pick one up.

gscartsw is the best by far, I have one and love it. It has a SCART output and a VGA style output that can break out to BNCs. I use the VGA for my PVM, and the SCART for my Framemeister, this allows me to output to both at the same time.

The Bandridge is the best deal, in my opinion. I use the auto switch model, as well as a Shinybow 3715 distribution amp to output to both my PVMs and my OSSC simultaneously.

In my opinion, the price of the gscartsw is a bit absurd for what it does.

Gscartsw v3.4 is easily the best. But as you can see, it's both expensive and sold out.

The Hydra is also good.

RetroRGB has a lot of info on SCART switchers, so I'd recommend reading that and go from there. Specifically, read the part on what to avoid.

Check eBay for the Bandridge 5-way scart switches. Sometimes they show up for $40-50, 20-30 Euros.

gscartsw is the best by far, I have one and love it. It has a SCART output and a VGA style output that can break out to BNCs. I use the VGA for my PVM, and the SCART for my Framemeister, this allows me to output to both at the same time.

The Bandridge is the best deal, in my opinion. I use the auto switch model, as well as a Shinybow 3715 distribution amp to output to both my PVMs and my OSSC simultaneously.

In my opinion, the price of the gscartsw is a bit absurd for what it does.

I have two Joytech switchboxes and they are premium quality as well. Older model is 4x RGB scart (also composite and S-video + others) and newer 5x, with a remote controller and programmable LED display.

Thanks guys and holy hell that Gscartsw is expensive lol

Anyone know much about superguns? I'm thinking about picking one up before I head back home from Japan. The shop here has a Combo AV Ex and a Pana Custom Long.

Is the main difference that the Combo AV Ex has HDMI? Do they support higher resolution games or only 15 KHz?

ToD_

Got my OSSC on Friday so had this weekend to play around with it. I have it connected to a DVDO Edge (scaler) and a Pioneer Kuro TV. I had to update the firmware to 0.76 in order to get line4x and line5x modes working. I believe it came with 0.75 installed.

The scaler appears to supports most of the things I toss at it outside of anything exceeding 1080 lines. So line4x at 1280x960 works great, and I can zoom however I want with the scaler. Of course, if using scanlines finding a zoom factor with completely even scanlines is a bit of a challenge. Using 240p test suite is helpful for this, but it looks like cropping the image on the top and bottom gives the best results.

Some issues I have are:

The signal drops out frequently with the line5x mode (at 1080p, cropped), resulting in a black screen for about a second at random times. It sometimes doesn't happen for a while, and other times it happens often. Could be the cable or the scaler - will have to experiment.

Neo-Geo, both AES and MVS work fine but there is a frame stutter every second or so. This is likely due to the low refresh rate (~59.2Hz) of the Neo and the display/scaler operating at 60Hz. The scaler does support 1:1 frame rates but maybe this deviates a little too far from 60Hz. Will have to try it on a different display to find out what's causing this.

All in all, it's great piece of hardware which does exactly what it's supposed to do. Playing some retro games on a big screen is a great experience. I hope to take some pictures soon for the 240p scanline thread.

ToD_

^thanks for your impressions. being a Kuro owner, i'm on the waiting list and was curious how OSSC performed on it.

I was actually having some issues with regular modes on the Kuro unless I used PC mode. I will do some more tinkering with that when I have some more time, however. There is no reason why it shouldn't take line5x at 1080p.

But since I have the DVDO Edge, I basically don't have to worry about what the TV supports since it will always get a 1080p signal from the scaler.

I'm a little lost, I thought the OSSC only supported 720p output maximum?

FYI to the Kuro folks, "game" mode on your set will display 240p properly via composite/svid/component, though of course without scanlines and the scaling is fairly fuzzy.

ToD_

They added line quadruple and quintuple modes through a firmware update recently:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/2017/02/15/quadruple-beyond-pushed/

Wow, I had completely missed that.

My audio-enhanced OSSC should arrive in a couple of days. I just realized that I don't have a DVI to HDMI cable. Anybody have any recommendations for a good one?

That's good to know!

I stumbled into it after owning the set for over eight years. Easily confirmed with drop shadow tests in the 240p test suite, only "game" mode displays 240p properly. Otherwise it's a mess as the TV tries to deinterlace the signal. making it a juddery mess.

In fact, it's the only thing the "game" mode seems to do on my 2008 Kuro. It doesn't help lag at all.

Wow, I had completely missed that.

My audio-enhanced OSSC should arrive in a couple of days. I just realized that I don't have a DVI to HDMI cable. Anybody have any recommendations for a good one?

I stumbled into it after owning the set for over eight years. Easily confirmed with drop shadow tests in the 240p test suite, only "game" mode displays 240p properly. Otherwise it's a mess as the TV tries to deinterlace the signal. making it a juddery mess.

In fact, it's the only thing the "game" mode seems to do on my 2008 Kuro. It doesn't help lag at all.
yeah the lag is an issue for me. i got a 2008 build 151 pro and it's noticeable enough compared to playing on my BVM.

ToD_

I noticed the same thing on my ISF patched KRP-500M. Between game mode and ISF-Day the input lag appears to be the same. Maybe there is a measurable difference but I can't tell myself. Since the picture is better on ISF-Day mode I just leave it there.

yeah the lag is an issue for me. i got a 2008 build 151 pro and it's noticeable enough compared to playing on my BVM.

Yes, I'm not sure what the latency is but it is noticeable (for me) on mine. That said, I got used to it quickly and it's certainly not bad enough to render anything unplayable. Thankfully, the OSSC adds a negligible amount of latency and probably does the analog->digital and scaling faster than the display would.

You'll never get Kuro lag under 48-52ms or three frames. I'm thinking of getting the new LG OLED with 21ms of lag.

I've had the Kuro since 2008. Such beautiful colors and black level. Looks better than an HDR LCD to me (per pixel lighting is a must for proper image fidelity in a panel).

ToD_

You'll never get Kuro lag under 48-52ms or three frames. I'm thinking of getting the new LG OLED with 21ms of lag.

I've had the Kuro since 2008. Such beautiful colors and black level. Looks better than an HDR LCD to me (per pixel lighting is a must for proper image fidelity in a panel).

That's definitely far from ideal, and it's noticeable. Sadly, I can't justify buying a new display based on input lag alone. Since the display is working fine otherwise, I think I'll deal with it for now.

I wonder what modern external 4k scalers are out there with support for all the resolutions/refresh rates the OSSC outputs at low latency and 4:4:4 processing (something the DVDO doesn't do). Since the OSSC only multiplies lines, I really like having the ability to manipulate vertical and horizontal size and position.

Man, why doesn't he make it two rows of 8? It's as big as a goddamn grand piano.

I'm guessing for ease of channing them together. It's one of his regular 8 port switches with his hydra head thing attached. He turns it over in the video and you can see 2 ribbon cables connected on each side and it might be bolted together. Probably easier to make it work that way.

Mega

Banned

21ms? That's amazing. 2017 models, right? Because last I heard the 2016 models were closer to 30ms.

What is the pspgo like for ps1 on crt? Is there less lag than the ps3 emulator for ps1 classics?

What about video quality?

Ideally i would love getting a pi on a crt so i could use my own rips on better storage but it seems nearly impossible to get 240p.

What is the pspgo like for ps1 on crt? Is there less lag than the ps3 emulator for ps1 classics?

What about video quality?

Ideally i would love getting a pi on a crt so i could use my own rips on better storage but it seems nearly impossible to get 240p.

PSP Go is absolutely stunning in 240p on a PVM. It's how I play all my PS1 games.

Here's an old shot I took of the 240p title screen of Incredible Crisis (PS1) on PSP:

21ms? That's amazing. 2017 models, right? Because last I heard the 2016 models were closer to 30ms.

Yep, 2017 models only. Many other improvements as well. Edge enhancement fully defeatable, no tint on AR filter, better uniformity, and more.

I think I already know the answer, but it never hurts to ask.

Support for 4x and 5x modes on the OSSC are all dependent on your TV / Monitor, right? Cause neither work for me at all, I just get a black screen when I turn them on.

I'm never going to find a working BVM-20F1U for sale at a non-highway robbery price in LA now, am I...

Got lucky last year getting my PVM-20M4U for $30, but it has a tad of discoloration in part of it.

I think I already know the answer, but it never hurts to ask.

Support for 4x and 5x modes on the OSSC are all dependent on your TV / Monitor, right? Cause neither work for me at all, I just get a black screen when I turn them on.

You're correct. That's the main appeal to using a dvdo edge in between the ossc and the TV. The edge supports every resolution the ossc outputs(up to 1080) and turns it into a clean 1080p signal for the Tv.

I'm never going to find a working BVM-20F1U for sale at a non-highway robbery price in LA now, am I...

Got lucky last year getting my PVM-20M4U for $30, but it has a tad of discoloration in part of it.

No, you won't. People that have found monitors for that price have had the fortune of luck, or got them before they were popular. In fact, every time the subject comes up, there is no shortage of posters who will let you know that they got their monitor for 20 or 30 bucks. This is not realistic. I've owned 4 PVMs, the cheapest was 120, the most expensive 270, and I'd say this is the range to expect for a 14" to 20" monitor. Unless you find somebody who doesn't know what they have or somebody extremely desperate to be rid of it, for whatever reason.

Mega

Banned
Yep, 2017 models only. Many other improvements as well. Edge enhancement fully defeatable, no tint on AR filter, better uniformity, and more.

Glad I waited and didn't give in to impulse when the '16 models went on sale. I didn't get the sense that everything was cemented and at its best with the early HDR 4K TVs.

Can you use a small magnet to fix it? It usually works by placing it directly on the frame from the outside.

The high-end CRT monitor supply seems pretty dried up compared to 1-2 years ago. The prices I paid for my stuff on ebay are no longer possible and there are just far fewer listings. Shit, I never would have bought one at the prices they're going for now. If I went back to the place I previously sourced some cheap PVMs I think they'd all be gone, either scrapped or someone else wise'd up and took them after learning what they had on their hands.

You also see a lot more ordinary consumer CRTs marked up and with "RETRO GAMING" in the listing title. Kinda ridiculous. Anyway I think there are more (and better) options now vs. overpaying for a CRT.

No, you won't. People that have found monitors for that price have had the fortune of luck, or got them before they were popular. In fact, every time the subject comes up, there is no shortage of posters who will let you know that they got their monitor for 20 or 30 bucks. This is not realistic.

There was a time when the popularity was high but the supply was still good enough that you could get them cheap. It was realistic and not at all a matter of luck. I've gotten a bunch of cheap pro monitors with minimal effort. I probably still could if I was looking for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom