• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the controllers for the systems are in the gray drawers below the flatscreen (along with some handhelds). That way it's quick to play any system!

Mega

Banned
Apart from the Ataris, which are finishing the RGB mods, I've got my setup up and running. =)

http://i.imgur.com/t9L3IXZ.png

This is a little old but gives an idea. The turboduo, 2600, Xbone and Nintendo Switch aren't in there and the model 1 snes is subbing in for my RGB-modded snes mini.

It looks like things are not hooked up, but everything is. Hundreds of velcro ties. Hundreds. Awesome to play all the retro stuff on both sets (can be simultaneous) without swapping any cords.

http://i.imgur.com/uyfAJ0p.jpg

With 30 systems hooked up (or more if you count things like jaguar and jag cd separately), I had to do a wiring diagram or I was getting confused. It's been nice to have since the setup has required a lot of revisions to get everything working how I want it.

That's amazing and very clean. I need to learn your ways because my cable management is nonexistent. My setup is comparatively a big mess and with half the number of consoles.

Brhoom

Banned
This is a little old but gives an idea. The turboduo, 2600, Xbone and Nintendo Switch aren't in there and the model 1 snes is subbing in for my RGB-modded snes mini.

It looks like things are not hooked up, but everything is. Hundreds of velcro ties. Hundreds. Awesome to play all the retro stuff on both sets (can be simultaneous) without swapping any cords.

uyfAJ0pm.jpg

Bigger:

Can I be your friend? Because this is breathtaking!!!

Galdelico

Very interesting response, guys. Overall, there's not a clear winner in terms of post-processing of choice, which reflects into my behavior as well. I mean, I tend to stick with scanlines, because they look so good with the OSSC (especially in LineX4) on my 27" monitor, but I'm always getting curious to try other solutions as well.

Also, ralphie, your setup is crazy. HUGE thumbs up.
Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with dust? I only own a fraction of those systems, yet to keep them dust free (and white as long as possible, in case of white consoles) has always been a major concern to me, reason why I have them all under protective cloths. It's of course way less appealing than having everything on display, like in your room.

Also, ralphie, your setup is crazy. HUGE thumbs up.
Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with dust? I only own a fraction of those systems, yet to keep them dust free (and white as long as possible, in case of white consoles) has always been a major concern to me, reason why I have them all under protective cloths. It's of course way less appealing than having everything on display, like in your room.

Thanks!
I just dust frequently (swiffer). The wire racks are nice because they don't accumulate as much dust. I don't keep the consoles covered, but I think I am going to keep a cart in the Jaguar constantly given the lack of dust flaps.

So, does anyone know anything about this thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111769087780?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

I'm trying to hook up an N64 to a projector that only takes 480i and up through composite/VGA and someone suggested this thing....it looks sketchy as crud though. (On the otherhand, I don't have $1,700 for an XRGB-3, which is what I basically need.)

It works but you'd need to pair it with something to convert SCART to DSUB-15. For the price it's not exactly bad but it thinks 240p is 480i and you end up with ugly artifacts when anything scrolls.

Galdelico

Thanks!
I just dust frequently (swiffer). The wire racks are nice because they don't accumulate as much dust. I don't keep the consoles covered, but I think I am going to keep a cart in the Jaguar constantly given the lack of dust flaps.
Makes sense. I never run short on Swiffer dusters either. :D

Also, I just realized I've got your same (Ikea, right?) drawer. Only one, due to space limitations, and dark brown, but it's super convenient, in order to storage unused cables and all my controllers.

bodine1231

KS8000 and OSSC owners, this 0.76 update seemed to give some compatibility!

My TV is handling this resolution as 1440x240, which is pretty insane.

This may be heresy on this board, but on this TV I prefer the vertical scanlines. It provides the smoothing of horizontal without being so big.

Some Saturn and MVS pics:

I'm still testing this out, getting snowed in again, so plenty of time to play mad scientist with this!

How do you get picture with the OSSC and the KS8000? I just got mine in today and I'm getting a "mode not supported" no matter what I try on any 8-16bit system.

BTW I'm considering getting a new framemeister. My old one broke due to being fried. Only problem with my current setup is I can't play my PC Engine Duo R on it at all (composite's too awful to use) and I found that Master System via Genesis has the same problem (I think my TV does not like whatever they're outputting) and also the picture's a bit muddy due to the TV handling the scaling. It'd also be nice to get something that could scale my PSP go.

Kind of a lot to spend (for a 2nd time) but I mostly don't want to be burned by a new XRGB model coming out in like a year as Micomsoft has hinted. I can... kinda... live without the PC Engine 'till then... I guess..., I mostly got it when I did because prices keep getting worse in the PCE scene. But it's a bummer to have it sitting there, all set up ready to go now even with an Arcade Card Duo and not ever using it.

nvm, fixed it by buying a new TV.

I bought a Samsung KU7000 and sure enough it handles 240p perfectly over component.

I mean I wanted it for other reasons but this is a nice bonus.

Just wondering... Any of you retro-AV people - switching from CRTs to digital, thanks to devices such as the Framemeister and the OSSC - also switched from classic analog scanline goodness to pure, 100% unfiltered pixels/IQ?

Last night I was having some fun with my OSSC and LineX5 mode and... I don't know, for the first time, I felt genuinely pleased while looking at my Mega Drive's and Saturn's RGB output, with no post-processing at all. I always thought it would've horrified me, giving me nothing but sterile emulators' vibe... So, I'm only being curious here. Any of you plays their retro stuff like that, on a regular basis?

I've held onto my really good Sony 27inch CRT for years now, though for the past 4/5 years now it's been relegated to the basement/storage. I just don't have the room for it, the hope is to one day have a finished basement and have it set up there but we shall see. I know this will be blasphemy in here but I've never been a scanline fan, the raw chunky super sharp pixels on my LCD look amazing to me. Plus as a big vertical shooter fan I like the ease of which I can just rotate my current tv for tate mode. Back in the day I would have my main 27inch Sony and then off to the side I had a cheap 19inch set kept on it's side at all times for vertical shooters. I actually had a second set of Saturn, PS1, and PS2 hooked up to it just for vertical shooters. I'm definitely super warm on the ease of 1 tv set up.

That is a damn nice setup! It reminds me that I really need to get an Atari 7800 one of these days.

Timu

It's simple: USB3HDCAP externally connected to my living room PC. I unplug my system from my AV receiver and into the nearby capture box and fire up the software on the PC for a few screenshots. I would never play on it normally. Adds too much lag on top of what I already get from my display.
Seriously? It has lag? I was thinking about getting one. My Startech capture card doesn't seem to introduce lag(and I can't seem to detect any of it if it's there) from what I can tell.

Seriously? It has lag? I was thinking about getting one. My Startech capture card doesn't seem to introduce lag(and I can't seem to detect any of it if it's there) from what I can tell.

My USB3HDCAP had no noticeable input lag and I tested it with my BVM side by side.

Yawnny

uyfAJ0pm.jpg

Bigger:

I can tell you and I would get along great! I also love velcro zip ties, use them to organize all my cables. Love those wire rack shelving units.. they're great aren't they? I have a couple myself and there's nothing better to display all your consoles on.. great for heat dissipation!

Also, I just realized I've got your same (Ikea, right?) drawer. Only one, due to space limitations, and dark brown, but it's super convenient, in order to storage unused cables and all my controllers.

Yup! Love them for controllers. The wire racks are also IKEA!

I can tell you and I would get along great! I also love velcro zip ties, use them to organize all my cables. Love those wire rack shelving units.. they're great aren't they? I have a couple myself and there's nothing better to display all your consoles on.. great for heat dissipation!

I was considering built ins or lighted compartments. But worse for dust, more expensive, tough to rearrange (big negative) and would need much longer SCART cables (huge deterrent).

To the OSSC owners in the US, how long did it take for yours to arrive after purchasing it?

I ordered mine on the 29th, and the tracking number says that it's been on "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" for the past week.

To the OSSC owners in the US, how long did it take for yours to arrive after purchasing it?

I ordered mine on the 29th, and the tracking number says that it's been on "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" for the past week.

I ordered mine on March 14th, it shipped to me on March 31st, and I just received it a couple of days ago. I also ordered it with the audio upgrade so that is why there is such a gap between when I ordered and when it shipped.

Mega

Banned

My USB3HDCAP had no noticeable input lag and I tested it with my BVM side by side.

What OS + software are you using with it? I had heavy added lag with everything I tried (AmaRecTV, Media Player Classic, etc). I was going to use it as a solution for playing clean, upscaled Wii on my TV but it was a poor experience... some demanding games are straight up unplayable vs. doable with the Wii connected directly to the TV.

This was before I figured out how to get OSSC's 2X/3X to display on my TV. I'm using the OSSC now and it works without any added lag.

Timu

What OS + software are you using with it? I had heavy added lag with everything I tried (AmaRecTV, Media Player Classic, etc). I was going to use it as a solution for playing clean, upscaled Wii on my TV but it was a poor experience... some demanding games are straight up unplayable vs. doable with the Wii connected directly to the TV.

This was before I figured out how to get OSSC's 2X/3X to display on my TV. I'm using the OSSC now and it works without any added lag.
I wonder about this as well. You could try OBS.

There's definitely some lag on USB3HDCAP. If I were streaming it I'd play on CRT and then use the analog outs from the CRT into the capture.

K so i have gotten a hold of a psp go. They arent cheap anymore, but for ps1 240p they are sooooo good. DualShock 3 and digital storage.

I have a set of Component cables that can go into a CRT TV. Awesome. But the cradle is $100 everywhere i look. Not to mention i still need a psp 1000 charger.

The cables work fine without the cradle but no charging while playing so i gotta recharge between play sessions. Is there any 3rd party accessories that allow play on TV while charging? I am not trying to spend another $100 just for the luxury.

K so i have gotten a hold of a psp go. They arent cheap anymore, but for ps1 240p they are sooooo good. DualShock 3 and digital storage.

I have a set of Component cables that can go into a CRT TV. Awesome. But the cradle is $100 everywhere i look. Not to mention i still need a psp 1000 charger.

The cables work fine without the cradle but no charging while playing so i gotta recharge between play sessions. Is there any 3rd party accessories that allow play on TV while charging? I am not trying to spend another $100 just for the luxury.

Yeah it's a shit situation. The cradle is so nice too.

I got my cradle new old stock off amazon US for $55USD. Conversion to CAD wasn't amazing but the shipping was painless. Cost seems to have gone up in the last few weeks, though.

There are also some used for under 4000yen on Amazon Japan so if you could get it forwarded from there.

If you're handy and desperate I think you could maybe modify the cable terminal to add a 5V line.

Unfortunately all my gaming stuff is packed away for my upcoming move so I can't double check. I was using amaRecTV but I can't remember or double check my settings. I remember some settings caused terrible input delay though. I know it's super finicky with what usb controller it's being plugged into so maybe I hit the lottery.

Initially I had so much trouble getting it working and the problem was the usb3 hub I was using. Plugging it directly into my mobo solved all my issues.

Edit:how were you upscaling with the usb3hdcap? I was capturing raw 720x240/60.

My ossc came this past weekend and I had some fun farting around with it. All I've got left is my snes mini(the Achilles heel of the ossc) and it worked great with no adjustments piping it through my dvdo edge. I can't wait till I move and I can do the Pepsi challenge next to my fv310 and bvm.

Mega

Banned
I wonder about this as well. You could try OBS.

Pretty sure I tried that. I tried 3 or 4 different things with varying levels of terrible lag.

Unfortunately all my gaming stuff is packed away for my upcoming move so I can't double check. I was using amaRecTV but I can't remember or double check my settings. I remember some settings caused terrible input delay though. I know it's super finicky with what usb controller it's being plugged into so maybe I hit the lottery.

Initially I had so much trouble getting it working and the problem was the usb3 hub I was using. Plugging it directly into my mobo solved all my issues.

Edit:how were you upscaling with the usb3hdcap? I was capturing raw 720x240/60.

I can't verify that now but you might be right that the USB controller may be at fault. I only ever tried using the USB3 ports in front of the case. Maybe the ones in the back may yield better results.

No upscale with the Switch captures. That was the native 1080p capture, which itself is sometimes upscaled 1080p by the Switch, all depending on the game in question (eg. BOTW 900p -> 1080p).

Welp, moving house in just over 2 weeks, new retro setup opportunity incoming!

Didn't you recently move?!

Has anybody gotten the OSSC to work in 4x or 5x on a Pioneer Kuro plasma (without an iScan)? Can't try myself yet because it's taking 3+ weeks to get my OSSC delivered.

Timu

I can't verify that now but you might be right that the USB controller may be at fault. I only ever tried using the USB3 ports in front of the case. Maybe the ones in the back may yield better results.
You should try it and report back to us.

televator

The Scorpio news has made me wonder if the new Framemeister (XRGB4) or another processor could possibly apply a variable refresh signal to the output of all previous gen consoles.

jetsaito

Does anyone know if I can get a converter that will do JP21 to Euro SCART? I'm looking at a PC Engine Duo RGB modded on ebay from Japan, but it looks like it only does JP21. My current setup is really only a sync strike that goes into my RGB supported capture card, and I can't seem to find any JP21 to Euro SCART adapters online.

The Scorpio news has made me wonder if the new Framemeister (XRGB4) or another processor could possibly apply a variable refresh signal to the output of all previous gen consoles.

That'd be a nice thing to see for sure considering how poorly the current model handles resampling the framerate.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Honestly, I had totally even forgotten about the possibility of a new XRGB. I'd like to see something bold from it, whenever it does happen. What you suggested would certainly fit the bill.

televator

Honestly, I had totally even forgotten about the possibility of a new XRGB. I'd like to see something bold from it, whenever it does happen. What you suggested would certainly fit the bill.

Yeah, the way I see it, it could add a whole new dimension to games with unstable frame rates and screen tearing.

Bar81

Does anyone know if I can get a converter that will do JP21 to Euro SCART? I'm looking at a PC Engine Duo RGB modded on ebay from Japan, but it looks like it only does JP21. My current setup is really only a sync strike that goes into my RGB supported capture card, and I can't seem to find any JP21 to Euro SCART adapters online.

It's a simple cable that swaps a few pins around from end to end.

Did you try retrogamingcables.co.uk? If they don't have it they'll make one for you. They've done custom orders for me in the past.

ToD_

Has anybody gotten the OSSC to work in 4x or 5x on a Pioneer Kuro plasma (without an iScan)? Can't try myself yet because it's taking 3+ weeks to get my OSSC delivered.

I remember not having luck with pretty much anything I tried on my Kuro (KRP-500M, basically the last Kuro made) unless I enabled PC mode where at least line4x mode worked. I completely expected line3x at 720p and line5x at 1080p modes to work, but that was not the case. Using the DVDO Edge takes care of all of those issues, however, but most people don't have a scaler lying around.

I will make sure to check again since I did not test all modes thoroughly without the scaler. Of course, different Kuro models may work totally fine. If anyone has any suggestions for increasing display compatibility with the OSSC, please share. I understand playing around with some of the advanced timings can increase compatibility with certain displays but I haven't tried that yet.

Also, every single OSSC line mode on my Dell U2711 (1440p) monitor is working perfectly. All line5x modes work like a charm and no stuttering with the Neo-Geo due to its low refresh rate. Not unexpected, but good to have some confirmation the OSSC is working fine.

Pretty sure I tried that. I tried 3 or 4 different things with varying levels of terrible lag.

This! Mine won't even work off the front usb3 ports! It's detected but only shows a black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom