• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, I got a job in the gamez' business, and haven't even started yet, yet my interest in talking about games has disappeared. Hopefully that'll change. I miss u, RetroGAF ;(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just paid $20 for an Atari 2600 game. I feel so dirty.

It was H.E.R.O.

ZealousD

Sorry, I should have specified, is there anyone that sells the cases with the artwork already printed?

There are, but they're generally overpriced. Like a few dollars for each printout. All those people do is grab the covers off of The Cover Project and print them off and cut them. Don't support that shit.

Sad day, my Game Boy DMG refuses to turn on today. I have had a fondness for DMG's ever since being amazed as a young 14 year old. To this day, I still play one of my DMG's, or pockets more than a number of my other handhelds.

This got me thinking. If Nintendo started re-releasing older consoles or handhelds with full support of re-releasing older titles as well as potentially new titles, how many of you would buy them? Mind you, not new redesigned versions of things, but the original forms.

Very few. While retro is hot, most people aren't willing to fork over top dollar for 20 year old games. Just look at all the
crazy
people here on GAF complaining about virtual console games costing all of $7.

Rydeen

Any other Seattle Gaffers go to the Seattle Retro Gaming Expo this weekend? Scoped out the dealers' room and figured put pretty quickly what I wanted to get and for what price. I noticed the dealers with extremely niche inventory seemed to be the nicest dealers, extremely knowledgable about their areas of expertise and very willing to cut a good deal for you, like one guy who exlusively sold Atari 8-bit computer games and systems, another vendor called Intellivision Hoarder Corner that exclusively sold Intellivision stuff, super nice guy with really awesome bargains.

Might go for a little bit on day two, but definitely done spending money for a while.

img_20140629_011349zssdl.png

If you got pics of your hauls, show 'em!

Rydeen

Tiny Toons is actually a rebuy, I traded it with a few other SNES games like the Super Star Wars trilogy to Funcoland in the mid-90's to get Final Fantasy III. I love FFIII but I still regretted selling the other games when I wanted to play them again a few months later. I rebought all the other games over a decade ago but for some reason didn't rebut Tiny Toons. For four bucks, I couldn't resist.

^me neither, but now i'm kinda bummed casue that did look cool! weird to not've seen a port anywhere, yeah.

Apparently there was a Chase HQ 2 released in 2007 on Type X2 hardware as well. Supposed to be a Japanese exclusive but I saw a person on twitter posting pics of it at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Lettuce

Sorry, I should have specified, is there anyone that sells the cases with the artwork already printed?

There are, but they're generally overpriced. Like a few dollars for each printout. All those people do is grab the covers off of The Cover Project and print them off and cut them. Don't support that shit.

If your going to do that my not buy actual MegaDrive game cases and then print the cover.....Surely you can get MegaDrive cases???

Lettuce

If I were to buy a bunch of cases, what printer would you recommend for making good looking box art for them?

Ive always found the Canon iP range to be awesome and affordable (both for the unit and cartridges). The more important thing is the type of paper you select, the MegaDrive covers always used a fairly thinner photo paper type almost like you get from takeaways sometimes, or flyers you get through your door....well in the UK at least

Ive always found the Canon iP range to be awesome and affordable (both for the unit and cartridges). The more important thing is the type of paper you select, the MegaDrive covers always used a fairly thinner photo paper type almost like you get from takeaways sometimes, or flyers you get through your door....well in the UK at least

Hmm, so no particular model or paper is recommended?

Khaz

I didn't just read about and listened to a man admit to selling all his genuine consoles for a retron did I?

In his defense, before it was out there was lots of contradictory statements about it being emulation or not. Knowledgeable people saying it had to be emulation, Retron guys trying to deny it, etc. I can see this guy getting on the hype train and believeing it could give an unadulterated experience.

[edit] He's playing on an LCD too, so he probably just doesn't know better.

IrishNinja

also: let's not act like buying back the consoles is the expensive part most times...plus as Khaz said, LCD owner so i'm betting against RGB mods - dude heard there'd be HDMI out & never looked back. he might still be mostly okay with the final product.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
yeah getting your common consoles is pretty cheap most of the best games on those consoles will cost more then the console itself :p

ZealousD

[edit] He's playing on an LCD too, so he probably just doesn't know better.

Wouldn't LCD be fine if you were using an upscaler?

Guess I'm not too schooled on the differences between LCD and Plasma for gaming.

ZealousD

It could maybe be ok if you had to game in your living room with only enough space for one screen. But in a dedicated gaming room with over 500 cartridges? Please.

Well if you go the RGB modding route, you can't really stick with a standard CRT (in America anyway). You'd have to get a PVM (a bit small) or shell out/get lucky with something like an NEC XM29.

televator

.....or a big ass consumer grade Trinitron/Wega being fed RGB converted to component.

Simple and still light years better than LCD.

.....or a big ass consumer grade Trinitron/Wega being fed RGB converted to component.

Simple and still light years better than LCD.

yeah, a 27 or 32 inch trinitron with component inputs would still be a lot better than an LCD assuming you get an RGB->component transcoder. Not sure the sets get any bigger than that though.

ZealousD

How many of actually exist that have component inputs? I've never actually seen a CRT with component inputs, lol

How many of actually exist that have component inputs? I've never actually seen a CRT with component inputs, lol

Lots. if you're talking about Wegas and Trinitrons, they're typically the newer grayish silver ones. KV27FS120 models and the like are some good consumer grade SD sets with component inputs.

televator

^but aren't the "newer" models (flat silver ones for trinotrons) known for having less visual quality?

Not to my knowlege. I mean idk how it makes sense that you get less quality out a TV with component. Especially when those specific Sonys were considered as some of the best consumer tvs of their time.

IrishNinja

no no i meant the image quality of the set itself; perhaps im recalling this wrong, but if you wanted the best pic, you couldn't just pic up whatever trinotron craigslist had, you were seeking certain model #'s and most (if not all) were the older rounder types, i wanna say

Slermy

Dude sold all his retro consoles for the Retron5.

Poor bastard.

I got to try out a Retron5 in person the other day, and in all fairness NES games look pretty good on it (and is possibly cheaper than a modded NES/Famicom/Analogue_NT). GBA games also looked and played great. Genesis/MegaDrive stuff seemed.... satisfactory.

I'd never sell my genuine consoles, but for some people, the Retron5 is more than good enough.

that and the genesis UGC's...scust

This however, there's just no excuse.

I'm starting to think this guy just has a lot of disposable income.

ZealousD

This however, there's just no excuse.

I'm starting to think this guy just has a lot of disposable income.

If the dude had a lot of disposable income than he wouldn't have sold his old consoles for the Retron5. He would have just bought the R5.

J-Roderton

It's so hard to find a six button Genesis controller or two. I picked up one of those third party shit ones and the buttons that did work on it started falling out. Any good places online to find any besides eBay? Local retro shop never has any.

televator

no no i meant the image quality of the set itself; perhaps im recalling this wrong, but if you wanted the best pic, you couldn't just pic up whatever trinotron craigslist had, you were seeking certain model #'s and most (if not all) were the older rounder types, i wanna say

Well, even if some Trinitrons are worse han others, I'd bet money they still outdo whatever LCD that guy has.

IrishNinja

Well, even if some Trinitrons are worse han others, I'd bet money they still outdo whatever LCD that guy has.

no doubt, that's why i don't fuck with LCD's at any size/price personally
but as a fan of plasmas, if i'm gonna trade off size/versatility/etc i'd want to actually put in some work & make sure i was going with the best set available to me

Khaz

LCD are cool as computer screen, I much prefer to stare at an LCD than a CRT for long hours of work. As long as the desktop is at the correct resolution. Also Computer-grade LCD tend not to suffer the delays TV typically have, and are also suited for HD-gaming. Windows is a worse offender than your type of screen in that regard.

But for anything non-HD, retrogaming or even DVD? No thank you.

Hey fellas, help a comrade out.

What do you use to database your collection, condition, etc..

I started a thread out in the open but haven't gotten many responses so far.
Curious as to how you guys handle it, whether it be notepad, excel, an online database, etc.

Prophane33

For those wondering if the PS2 is retro, the time between the release (Using NA Dates) of the NES and PS2 are about equal (2 months to go) to the PS2 and Today. Sometimes you just have to accept things that make you feel old.

Top Bottom