• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

For those wondering if the PS2 is retro, the time between the release (Using NA Dates) of the NES and PS2 are about equal (2 months to go) to the PS2 and Today. Sometimes you just have to accept things that make you feel old.

lol n64's 18th anniversary is this year. now that made me feel ancient.

Khaz

The template is whatever suits you best, really. Microsoft Excel, just like Openoffice Calc, is already set to do everything. First line have the name of your columns, you can stick it on top of you screen so that it always shows, same for the first column.

My columns are: name of the game, console, region, another column I labelled group so that I can sort all Shinobi (or Sonic) games together if needed, then three columns cart / manual / box with an x in it if I have it, three columns price / postage / total for how much I paid for it. Plenty of columns if I need to add extra information. I wanted to add the release date so that I could make some nice data analysis about which era I like best or something, but then I gave up finding it for each one of my 300+ games.

I have on a second tab my want list, more succinct with only game, console, region, how much I want it (very much, not so much, not before I have everything else). I can put everything in that list, from games I lust over to games mentioned in passing on NeoGAF which may be mildly interesting. Unlike a software or a website I can add anything I want however I want, without cluttering the view.

I'm using it in parallel with a website so that I can access my lists even when I'm not on my computer, but the website is often dragging behind because entries need to be added every so often to the database. Which reminds me I have another column in my have list, in which I put a P or a M depending if the game is missing from the online database or if I haven't bothered putting it in yet.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For those wondering if the PS2 is retro, the time between the release (Using NA Dates) of the NES and PS2 are about equal (2 months to go) to the PS2 and Today. Sometimes you just have to accept things that make you feel old.

Honestly, it's not really about when the systems came out. The reason that people are hesitant to call the PS2 old school is because games haven't really advanced that much since the ps2, whereas previous gens feel dramatically different from what the ps2 and beyond were doing.

Regardless, I feel old.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

FIFA 14 was released on the PS2, though.

Hey guys, so I picked up a nice canon printer and some 8.5x11 glossy photo paper for my project to make custome cases/covers for my loose games.

One issue, the 8.5x11 is a bit too small for the custom came cases everyone is using. The spines look good, just a little too narrow. Does everyone just shrug it off?

Replacement for Genesis cases are perfect and look amazing.

televator

Iirc your printer has to be able to do borderless printing and/or accept 11x17 paper. Alternatively, there is 8.5 x 14 paper if your printer has settings for it.

In my experience though, consumer printers are a huge PITA to get them to print images properly. That's why i'd rather just go to Kinkos.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, in the past, I've always found going to Kinko's was the solution. It's kinda pricey for the nice paper, but it's worth it to avoid the hassle.

Rydeen

Speaking of printing out replacement covers, anybody know what kind of glossy paper stock I should ask for at Kinko's when printing out replacement Genesis / Megadrive covers? My Bare Knuckle III and Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure are naked and need to be covered.

IrishNinja

Iirc your printer has to be able to do borderless printing and/or accept 11x17 paper. Alternatively, there is 8.5 x 14 paper if your printer has settings for it.

In my experience though, consumer printers are a huge PITA to get them to print images properly. That's why i'd rather just go to Kinkos.

Yeah, in the past, I've always found going to Kinko's was the solution. It's kinda pricey for the nice paper, but it's worth it to avoid the hassle.

yup. hitting up kinko's in the next day or two for my DVD & DS cover replacement project, there's like 85 or so in that batch!

then, i get to save up for the 200+ UGC's...ugh
still, the quality looks damn near retail for me (when done right, with accurate measurements & such) and honestly having them use their fancy laser cutter thing really seals the deal for me; i can't cut in a straight line for shit

O shweet. Are they studier than Disney VHS containers?

The template is whatever suits you best, really. Microsoft Excel, just like Openoffice Calc, is already set to do everything. First line have the name of your columns, you can stick it on top of you screen so that it always shows, same for the first column.

My columns are: name of the game, console, region, another column I labelled group so that I can sort all Shinobi (or Sonic) games together if needed, then three columns cart / manual / box with an x in it if I have it, three columns price / postage / total for how much I paid for it. Plenty of columns if I need to add extra information. I wanted to add the release date so that I could make some nice data analysis about which era I like best or something, but then I gave up finding it for each one of my 300+ games.

I have on a second tab my want list, more succinct with only game, console, region, how much I want it (very much, not so much, not before I have everything else). I can put everything in that list, from games I lust over to games mentioned in passing on NeoGAF which may be mildly interesting. Unlike a software or a website I can add anything I want however I want, without cluttering the view.

I'm using it in parallel with a website so that I can access my lists even when I'm not on my computer, but the website is often dragging behind because entries need to be added every so often to the database. Which reminds me I have another column in my have list, in which I put a P or a M depending if the game is missing from the online database or if I haven't bothered putting it in yet.

Thanks for the advice, Khaz. I checked out some options, but ultimately just turned a book collection template found within excel into a game collection template. It does the job!

Khaz

Funny, I would have had oriented the text the other way, so that you have the spine on top to read Final fantasy and open it like a chest. But that's just me though.

They do look cheaper than the Universal cases. Squishy plastic always makes this impression on me. And I'm not so sure about how the booklet is hold. I'll wait for someone to review them.

Danny Dudekisser

Funny, I would have had oriented the text the other way, so that you have the spine on top to read Final fantasy and open it like a chest. But that's just me though.

They do look cheaper than the Universal cases. Squishy plastic always makes this impression on me. And I'm not so sure about how the booklet is hold. I'll wait for someone to review them.

I do like the Blockbuster-esque quality of the Universal cases. It makes me feel like no matter what game I pull off the shelf, I'm going to crack open the case and find Clayfighter 63 1/3 inside.

ZealousD

These cases already exist for NES. They are excellent and definitely higher quality than UGCs imo. I don't care for the cheap video store look and feel of UGCs.

Peagles

How do you guys feel about FPGA based cycle accurate clones becoming viable alternatives to real hardware in the future?

I think its highly interesting. In many respects this can even be better than official hardware. Not only can this output pretty much any digital or analogue source from RGB to HDMI, but accuracy can be better than cost cutting revisions of official hardware.

I also find it interesting, and I'd rather pack away my systems and preserve them if something like this is a viable alternative.

Khaz

How do you guys feel about FPGA based cycle accurate clones becoming viable alternatives to real hardware in the future?

I think its highly interesting. In many respects this can even be better than official hardware. Not only can this output pretty much any digital or analogue source from RGB to HDMI, but accuracy can be better than cost cutting revisions of official hardware.

I thought the Retron5 would be something like that, when they first announced it and argued that it wasn't emulation, well it was but with special chip and you couldn't tell it would be emulation, etc.

televator

I thought the Retron5 would be something like that, when they first announced it and argued that it wasn't emulation, well it was but with special chip and you couldn't tell it would be emulation, etc.

I figured there was no way they could build a catch all system that could be cycle accurate for so many wildly different systems. The best thing is to focus on 1 system at a time IMO. Unless you have the capacity of 10 Byuus at your disposal and I imagine some crazy fancy swiss army knife hardware.

IrishNinja

I got a chance to play the ColecoVision a few weeks ago, and did a writeup of what I played here. May be interesting to those who are a fan of the platform... I came away quite impressed:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846320

never got to play one, reading this later - thanks man!

My game cases arrived! Time to start printing.

nice! seriously man, save some time & get the measurements, use GIMP or whatever to resize em & head to kinko's. i wasted time/paper before realizing this.

Yeah, hell, I already wish there was one for the NeoGeo that could run roms through an SD port.

day fuckin' one

Success! Was able to do borderless printing. Makes the labels 98% scale which is perfect.

They look awesome on the glossy photo paper. Also included a picture of the Canon MX922 printer. It works great and supports Legal size paper too:

Khaz

I'll probably start doing mine too. I spotted a large (20-30) stack of EA Sports cartridges near my place on sale for like 1€ each and I'll probably get a bargain by clearing their shelf. The only thing stopping me is the lack of eprom programmer, but I found a guy on the internet who can do it for cheap.

I'll probably start doing mine too. I spotted a large (20-30) stack of EA Sports cartridges near my place on sale for like 1€ each and I'll probably get a bargain by clearing their shelf. The only thing stopping me is the lack of eprom programmer, but I found a guy on the internet who can do it for cheap.

I'm just becoming aware of reproduction carts... So the idea is you buy old shitty carts, and transform them into something else, ideally something not available in your home country, right?

Should I stock up on a few myself then? Are there specifics the carts need to meet to be eligible for this? I'd love an English Snow Bros/Zero Wing.

I got to try out a Retron5 in person the other day, and in all fairness NES games look pretty good on it (and is possibly cheaper than a modded NES/Famicom/Analogue_NT). GBA games also looked and played great. Genesis/MegaDrive stuff seemed.... satisfactory.

I'd never sell my genuine consoles, but for some people, the Retron5 is more than good enough.

Dunno... all the Genesis stuff I've played on the Retron 5 has looked and played great (NHLPA 93, Cool Spot, Lion King, Sonic, Sports Talk Baseball so far). What am I missing? Compared to my gen 2 Genesis... well I disconnected the Genesis and packed it away.

ZealousD

I'm just becoming aware of reproduction carts... So the idea is you buy old shitty carts, and transform them into something else, ideally something not available in your home country, right?

Basically, yeah.

Should I stock up on a few myself then? Are there specifics the carts need to meet to be eligible for this? I'd love an English Snow Bros/Zero Wing.

A PAL copy of Zero Wing plays perfectly fine on an American Genesis. You don't even need a pass through cart. Just import it, it would probably cost you the same amount anyway.

Khaz

Yeah I'd be mainly making translated carts, like Monster World IV or Battle Mania 2, or mods like Sonic 3 Complete. Megadrive repros seem to be fairly easy to do, you just solder the eprom in place of the rom, link a few legs to supplementary pins if it's bigger than the original game, and you're basically done. EA Sports game also tend to contain battery saved sram, so it's an added bonus for games needing it. Plus I can spot all my repros at a glance by checking for the yellow tab ;)

Teknoman

I'd like to own the actual Battle Mania 2 just because I like Mega Drive JP art. But... i'd definitely have to go repro for Monster World IV.

Are there any good JRPGs that didnt make it outside of Japan?

Khaz

I mean cart based. Although on something Sega CD related: Is Dungeon Explorer co-op?

I read about it yesterday (eh) and apparently it goes up to four players and is quite unforgiving when playing alone (aka difficulty doesn't scale with the number of players).

Every time I see those Universal Game Cases I am floored at how nice they look. One day when I have the cash to throw around again, I am gonna just buy a pile.

Felt so good making all the GameBoy cassette cases a few months ago, and I'd love similarly pretty cases for all my loose NES carts.

Basically, yeah.

A PAL copy of Zero Wing plays perfectly fine on an American Genesis. You don't even need a pass through cart. Just import it, it would probably cost you the same amount anyway.

It isn't slowed down, like Sonic, for the 50hz, is it?
Does the Japanese version run faster?

Top Bottom