• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Teknoman

Anyone know where to get classic Sega CD / Saturn case cover art? I know coverproject has them for DVD case size, but what about something just to cover the front of an actual Sega CD/Saturn case?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797309&highlight=psp

Yep! I wish there was an easier way to play physical PSP games on the TV. Chances of getting some sort of Physical PSP add on for the Vita TV are almost 0. Has anyone made a nice consolised PSP?

Awesome, couldn't find it in the first post. Thanks!

Also, it's a super bummer that the PSP Go is the only model (I think) that can connect to a Dual Shock 3 for control. Would love a PSP with a UMD drive, the great AV output *and* the controller compatibility.

Awesome, couldn't find it in the first post. Thanks!

Also, it's a super bummer that the PSP Go is the only model (I think) that can connect to a Dual Shock 3 for control. Would love a PSP with a UMD drive, the great AV output *and* the controller compatibility.

The Dualshock is bluetooth, right? If any other PSP models support bluetooth I wonder if Dualshock support can be hacked into it via CFW?

The Dualshock is bluetooth, right? If any other PSP models support bluetooth I wonder if Dualshock support can be hacked into it via CFW?

A Google search makes it look like the 1000/2000/3000 didn't have Bluetooth :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable#Models

I did spy a few threads using USB connected DS3s and a suite of CFW programs, might be an option but I found it hard to make sense of. Something I'd have to dedicate a night to researching I think.

Hey retro-gaf, are there any retro gaming podcasts anyone can recommend aside from Retronauts and Back in my play? (which are both great!)
I have been looking for something to fill up the rest of my weekly listening time but am coming up short.

On that same note, are there any import focused podcasts out there? I really miss WAHP and red sun gamer.

Hey retro-gaf, are there any retro gaming podcasts anyone can recommend aside from Retronauts and Back in my play? (which are both great!)
I have been looking for something to fill up the rest of my weekly listening time but am coming up short.

On that same note, are there any import focused podcasts out there? I really miss WAHP and red sun gamer.

If you like really bad puns and absurd humor check out the insert credit podcast. They talk about a lot of contemporary games, but the co-hosts play a lot of old games and sometimes do themed episodes like best genesis games of all time or best snes games of all time.

As for import games, a lot of people recommend 8-4 play, but honestly they mostly talk about western games, ios titles, and japan day-to-day life. And Monster Hunter.

If you like really bad puns and absurd humor check out the insert credit podcast. They talk about a lot of contemporary games, but the co-hosts play a lot of old games and sometimes do themed episodes like best genesis games of all time or best snes games of all time.

As for import games, a lot of people recommend 8-4 play, but honestly they mostly talk about western games, ios titles, and japan day-to-day life. And Monster Hunter.

Thanks for the recommendations, I have listened to insert credit before but wasn't a big fan of their rapid fire topic format. I'll give it another shot though, themed episodes sound good.
I forgot about 8-4play, definitely one of my favorite podcasts, it's funny now that I think about it you're right they do have a kind of western focus a lot of the time.

Terra

Some Super Street Fighter II on the porch. Dug up this 13" CRT from the basement where it had sat for 10+ years covered in dust, spiders, and dirt. Works perfectly and a great picture!

Super nice! Gaming on the porch. Love it! :)
That's summer for you all right! Where in the world are you?

So I was caught in the wikipedia vortex and reading about some former Tecnosoft heads who moved to to form Computer Artist Production and made Hagane and Bulk Slash. It's pretty wild how the company behind those games went on to make... Deca Sports?
http://www.caproduction.co.jp/works.htmlhttp://www.caproduction.co.jp/works.html

And it's funny how the technical wizards behind Ranger X went on to make one of the shittiest ports ever, Bayonetta PS3.
http://www.nex-ent.co.jp/contents/consumer.html

Anyone ever wonder what some of the people behind your favorite old games worked on subsequently?

Teknoman

I wish the Tecnosoft people would get together and start making indie games.

What is Yu Suzuki doing these days, or the people at Jaleco / team behind Ninja Warriors Again?

Peagles

What's the scoop on those Everdrive clones i'm seeing popping up on Aliexpress? Are they any good?

I got a SNES and MD one before I realised they were clones (the price different isn't huge but the free shipping made them about half price for me). They are old versions of the boards and can't be updated without bricking (I haven't tried, just heard reports). They're also a little slower browsing than my genuine Everdrive (I have an NES one that is genuine).

I plan to upgrade to genuine EDs when I have the cash. Won't be for a year or so, so hopefully the clones will last until then.

Yeah, really enjoyed this week's episode, probably more than their normal ones to be honest.
I really wish I had a friendly neighbourhood Bill who could modify my old consoles, I have had such a spotty history with soldering that I really don't want to risk my consoles.

Yeah I liked it a lot too. The banter was pleasant, not as forced and awkward as usual.

Yes Boss!

Anyone from Germany-GAF familiar with this place?
http://vimeo.com/98091080

As somebody who lived in germany for a few years (as a bona-fide american) that looks like a bad space for a storefront but an awesome space for a collection. Why is EU so damn enamored with retro games...kinda cool but a little weird. France, another case. Have not lived there since the late 90s but goddamn are they into the older scene now. nuts.

Reposting from the game room setup thread, as I thought you guys might be more interested in my classic setup that's in my basement.

Sony BVM (20F1U) running pure RGB, via scart to BNC for all my consoles. You can't see in these pictures, but I have my snes, nes, genesis, pc engine duo-R and saturn hooked up. This is the result of 20+ years of collecting, as I haven't sold any of my original hardware and am now 34 years old. I am currently focused on my duo and genesis collection.

stHLI8T.jpg

Ruruja

Reposting from the game room setup thread, as I thought you guys might be more interested in my classic setup that's in my basement.

Sony BVM (20F1U) running pure RGB, via scart to BNC for all my consoles. You can't see in these pictures, but I have my snes, nes, genesis, pc engine duo-R and saturn hooked up. This is the result of 20+ years of collecting, as I haven't sold any of my original hardware and am now 34 years old. I am currently focused on my duo and genesis collection.

Is that Nintendo light something you put on just for the photo? I can imagine it getting on your nerves after about 5 minutes.

Is that Nintendo light something you put on just for the photo? I can imagine it getting on your nerves after about 5 minutes.

Yeah it was on just for the pictures. Isn't really annoying, actually. It looks really cool when everything is on. Gives off an arcade vibe. I keep it off as I don't want it to burn out.

gorgeous setup, man.

If you or anyone else on GAF happens to live or be stopping by Chicago (actual city, north side) let me know and we can do a hangout at my house. Sadly all of my gaming friends have moved far away, so the setup you see is used solely by me! That is, of course, until the day my 2 year old daughter is old enough to start playing.

IrishNinja

nice! a buddy of mine just moved up to chicago last year & has been asking me to visit, might take you up on that man! plus, i think Mzo's from there and swears there's a much better retro gaming scene.

Khaz

I don't like buying stuff "mint in box". It's not about the price, sometimes you can make very good deal and get the item in its box for cheaper than a loose one. It's about the box. Man, when I have hardware in box, I cannot resolve myself to using it. We collect old stuff, somewhat rare in good condition. Having something in good condition in its original box makes me afraid of deteriorating it. Not smashing-it-against-a-wall deterioration, just normal wear and tear, stuff like that.

I was musing in that other thread about how having an Ascii Grip controller for the Megadrive would be cool. I like these type of controllers for the same reason I liked the Wii remote, it separates your hands and I think allows for better arm resting. Anyway I bought a long time ago an Ascii Grip V2 for the PS2, a controller that is absurdly rare (but not that expensive, considering the rarity), complete in its box without any sign of wear on the controller, for a stupid low price. It's still in its box. I've tested it, then put it back in its box to keep it safe "until the time was right" aka when I have a good time-sinker RPG to use it with. But the more time passes, the less I'm enticed to take it out of its box.

I want to use it now, and if it wasn't for the box it would already be in my hand. I even bought a PS2 to Megadrive controller adapter from tototek so I can use it on the console. But that damn box is blocking me. I'm now seriously considering buying a much cheaper and way more common Ascii Grip for PS1, without a box, that I can use all my heart content without thinking of deterioration. I have no problem using old stuff that came without a box, or new stuff that I throw the box away. I have no problem playing every day with that now stupidly rare original SLS Saturn USB controller that I bought new back in the day, the box being long lost.

I don't know what my problem is, but fuck boxes.

noquarter

I am almost with you, but I love getting the boxes. My problem is then I end up with two systems (or more, Genesis) one to play and one in a box, or I am afraid to take it out and set it up (Virtua Boy).

Same thing is probably going to start happening to my SNES collection, if I keep going down the CIB route.

The thing with me though, is I don't always go for minty boxes. Some of my boxes are shot to shit, might have tape tears on them, or small rips, but I still try to take care of them. Then they end up taking up too much space. I have boxes for all sorts of systems, empty and full, that I keep moving, stacking, trying to stash away but keep nice, putting in other boxes, but I refuse to get rid of them.

Also have this happening with new sealed games. Got Vectorman 1 and 2 sealed, now I don't want to open them, even though I payed less for them then it will cost me to rebuy them CIB. If I go with loose, where do I put them? Going to have some akward looking cases, just cause I don't want to break the seals. Recently this happened with Corpse Killer. Bid on it at the same price as a CIB set was going for, thinking I wouldn't win it, ended up getting it really cheap, but now I have to spend more to buy the game again.

IrishNinja

i love boxes! i have a sega tribute/shrine thing from boxes that only lacks a model 1 genesis one. game boxes too, but i'm totally all for printing high quality covers these days...for example, today i picked up Castle of Shikigami III because a nearby gamestop had it disc only for $3, and CIB prices are dumb right now. that cover will be another 59 cents, and i can always add the manual to my list if "if i sees it for cheap"

J-Roderton

The girlfriend got me a SEGA Game Gear. Never had one but pretty stoked to add it to the collection. Came with Lion King, Jurassic Park, Sonic 2, and Sonic Chaos. What's good to play on this thing?

Khaz

how fucked up is the button mapping though? The Saturn one is idiotic, you have to wonder what they were thinking there.

A is the left button (pardon my lack of shape knowledge) , B is down, C right. X, Y, Z are on top, R1 and R2 in whichever order. I think it's good, because I will mainly (only?) use it with an Ascii Grip, and that puts B and C as shoulder buttons.

ascii-grip-v2.jpg

so beautiful

Some day I will mod the Saturn one so that I can use it on the Megadrive and have the correct button label. Some day.

Khaz

The girlfriend got me a SEGA Game Gear. Never had one but pretty stoked to add it to the collection. Came with Lion King, Jurassic Park, Sonic 2, and Sonic Chaos. What's good to play on this thing?

Did it had its capacitors changed?

Micro Machines is cool, and it has a very fun two player mode on one Game Gear, where each of you hold one end of the handheld and control the cars with either the pad or the buttons. that was the go to game when I was away on holidays with a friend.

Ecco and Ecco 2 seem easier on Game Gear. Well, I did beat both when I was a child and I keep reading rants at how mfcking difficult the Megadrive one is. But I never played the console one, so maybe I was just that good. Cool puzzle/adventure games anyway, and a very charming atmosphere.

Shinobi and Shinobi 2 are must own. The first one is on 3DS too and it adds savestates and a much clearer screen. imo the 3DS is the superior version. You should look at the 3DS selection too, most of them are excellent.

Most of its library is shared with the Master System, but many rare stuff from the last few years of the MS can be found much cheaper on the GG. I know Fantasy zone and Power Strike 2 GG are different from the console games, and it had Gaiden episodes for Phantasy Star and Shining Force that you may want to look into. Many untranslated stuff too, some have patches to play them in english but you will need supplementary hardware to enjoy them.

BTails

I loved Jurassic Park on my Game Gear. I must have played through it 100 times when I was young. It'll also be the first game I pop in when I eventually replace the capacitors on my GG.

A is the left button (pardon my lack of shape knowledge) , B is down, C right. X, Y, Z are on top, R1 and R2 in whichever order. I think it's good, because I will mainly (only?) use it with an Ascii Grip, and that puts B and C as shoulder buttons.

ascii-grip-v2.jpg

so beautiful

Some day I will mod the Saturn one so that I can use it on the Megadrive and have the correct button label. Some day.

Have you seen the Hori Grip controller for the PS1? It's tiny. Looks dwarven compared to both the ASCII grips. I belive it was Japan exclusive though, so it's harder to find.

Yeah, problem with the BotP clips is they're clearly played on emulators, and display aspect ratios are often wrong (Game Boy especially). No clue why it's so dark. Would be cool if someone did these types of comparisons using real hardware, but I understand that's an immense undertaking.

Khaz

Have you seen the Hori Grip controller for the PS1? It's tiny. Looks dwarven compared to both the ASCII grips. I belive it was Japan exclusive though, so it's harder to find.

Oh so that's how it's called! I saw this picture on Google Image several times but never bothered to click lol

c0004568_21292266.jpg

I'm not really sure about it though. I think bringing the main buttons to the back of the controller is what makes it more than half a controller: using the index for actions makes sense when you're only using one hand. It also allows for action+direction at the same time, whereas on the Hori you have to keep moving your thumb from the direction to buttons to do anything.

Ascii had a stroke of genius when they made these pads.

Top Bottom