• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

televator

I use a paid software simply called Game Collector. It finds images online, let's you scan barcodes, and syncs to your phone.

Ryck

I see a lot of different Nes and Snes usb controllers, which ones are the best brands? My friend has one and it just doesn't feel right. Feels like a third party knockoff.

I'm probably going to do the spreadsheet thing because every database I've tried lacks stuff I own.

Well, it's far from perfect, but I actually added quite a bit of stuff I own that was missing from the GameFAQs db myself. So you could consider doing that and using GameFAQs.
They don't add it instantly though, they review every entry first. Some things might take a couple of weeks even. But so far I haven't had anything rejected (41 pieces of game data contributed and 116 box images).

Does anyone know the best settings to use for the Elgato capture device with retro stuff?

Like on Wii (through component cable) its offering me 576i or 480p I think, should I retain all the original screen size and everything?

I've been recording stuff for awhile but never really decided on a 'best' settings.

Mzo

I use backloggery but it kind of sucks since there's no way to really export any information from it.

Added you, Tekno!

tumblr_n9weuhjPhb1rxouxno1_500.jpg

IrishNinja

ahahaha a single reseller has already bought the entire lot

the other possibility: someone wants to see their competition

televator

To clarify a bit more, Toodles makes a FGW Converter that's pretty cheap that is made specifically for converting controllers. It can take either a Playstation, Saturn, or SNES pad's signals and convert them them to a standard signal. From there, you can wire it directly to a Neo Geo standard if you wanted to convert those to Neo, or run the wires to the PCB for the system of choice. For example, you could wire all the outputs to the inputs of a PS360+ PCB and then you would have a converter that converts the Saturn to PS3 and 360.

I don't understand... converts to a standard signal? How do I plug it into everything?

Khaz

What do you guys use to keep Game Gear games and manuals? I don't collect the boxes for them but I do have all my manuals in one pile, and all my games in their plastic protector in another. Are there some universal game cases or bitboxes for them? Or do you know of a binder I could use for the manuals only?

Teknoman

One thing about having a decent library of retro stuff and alot being RPGs, you dont know which one to jump into next.

Coming off Legend of Heroes: Dragon Slayer...i'm trying to decide to put my revived Sega CD mk2 through its paces with Lunar 1, jump into Dragon Force 1, or Romancing SaGa 3.

Trying to rotate systems with RPGs lol. Only Dreamcast RPGs i've got would be... Shenmue(?), Timestalkers, and Evolution 2. I still need Skies of Arcadia. Record of Lodoss War too.

IrishNinja

Lodoss War's great as a diablo-like loot fest when you're down.

i'd recommend Lunar 1 on SCD; like Suikoden 1 i wanna say its 40 hours or less but really memorable, doesn't have too much padding/grinding/wasting your time and prolly ages well, in my mind.

Teknoman

Lodoss War's great as a diablo-like loot fest when you're down.

i'd recommend Lunar 1 on SCD; like Suikoden 1 i wanna say its 40 hours or less but really memorable, doesn't have too much padding/grinding/wasting your time and prolly ages well, in my mind.

Get Grandia 2 as well

Yeah I think i'll go with Lunar. Also forgot I owned Grandia 2! Dunno how that slipped my mind. I guess its because i didnt plan on returning to that until i played 1.

Mzo

Grandia is fantastic. Looks a little ugly because Saturn but it's a fun adventure story with combat evolved from the Lunar series.

Teknoman

Also dat soundtrack.

I was playing Parasite Eve 2 on and off, but I dont really count that as an RPG in the traditional sense. I need to show my N64 and Cube some love too.

Khaz

So I just bought Dragon's Lair (20th anniversary special edition) in DVD. It's not on a traditional console but it's still a game and it's very retro! I bought it from America to try if my new RGB DVD player was correctly made region-free, but it turned out the discs were region 0 (worldwide) anyway. The player is plugged to a widescreen CRT through scart, and I must say the picture quality is quite stunning! I had not watched a film on a CRT for years, either using the tiny laptop screen or the family LCD in the living room. I was really surprised by the quality of the picture, the colours, etc. I kind of thought HD was the future for films (even though I'm #TeamCRT for gaming) but I'm now more sceptical than ever. Besides, most sources are now full-HD-BD-whatever and so bring much better quality when downscaled than the shitty divx from ten years ago. Kind of like how PC Master Race is ecstatic about supersampling.

Anyway, let's talk about games! I just wanted to try my DVD player, but I instead spent my evening playing Dragon's Lair, Time Warp and Space Ace. I understand the shock people would have had when playing this in the arcades in 1983. Even though it's just QTE after QTE, the animation quality is really stunning and you just keep playing to know what's going to be next. I'd have hate to be a kid at the time, that machine would have eaten all my allowance! The discs are apparently direct transfers of the original laserdiscs, unlike the BD version which were scans of the original film, upscaled and with fucked up colours. I'd recommend this game in whatever version for the art itself, for the piece of history, and for the crap gameplay that needs to be experienced. The edition I have allows for an easy mode with cues and infinite lives so it's relatively easy to get through it and experience it all. There's even a movie option to watch everything without a single user input.

I wish Time Gal had the same treatment. I appreciate the Mega CD version on its own, how they used the graphics capabilities of the console instead of compressing videos like everyone else's FMV game, but I wish we had a modern transfer of the original arcade game. The Saturn/playstation is the next best thing and is on my list though.

Mzo

Time Gal is packed in with Ninja Hayate/Revenge of the Ninja and costs like $100. Enjoy.

PS - I want it, too.

Using the RJ45 cable.You hack one together from an extension cord from that console.

RJ45_Title_TutorialPicture.jpg

i have an arcade stick with this mod, and it's amazing. it was done by Gummowned over at the Shoryuken forums, I def recommend him. he can get busy though.

he modded a Mad Catz TE-S arcade stick for it.

Teknoman

Anyone ever have any issues with those SCART to Component converter boxes loosing connection? Its happened to me recently, but I dont know if its the SCART cables i've been using, or if the box connection is just becoming loose.

Seems like if the SCART cables connecting to the box slightly wiggly a little (they used to fit really tight) the video signal either goes black and white, all red, or just becomes all wavy. Hopefully its not the cables since those are sorta hard to get (bought them from the retro console accessories seller on ebay back in the day).

The one I have for reference.

Khaz

What size are Nintendo booklets/manuals? I'm thinking Game Boy, NES, SNES. SEGA's were pretty standard during the cartridge era, all western releases had their manual in A6 size (10.5×14.8cm). But what about their competitor?

I gave up on collecting CIB Nintendo stuff, but I'm still entertaining the idea of having cartridge + manual, like what I'm doing for the Game Gear. I could then put the manuals in a folder for protection and easy access.

What's your opinion of the Atari65XE ? It's hard for me to get any info on it, I don't know if it is backwards compatible with other games and those things.

Anyone knows something about this console?

Khaz

So I made a direct offer to a seller on eBay. He hasn't responded to it yet. What can other people see when they are browsing the auction page? I see that I made an offer, there is a history (1 offer) link where I can see my name and the price I offered. Can other people see that too? I don't mind people seeing there are offers that have been made, but I think the price should be kept private, else it would just turn into a normal eBay auction.

Top Bottom