• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

PooBone

My favorite game of all time as a kid, and one I mastered. The Konami Code? Pffft, don't make me laugh. I've beaten this game countless times without dying, and thousands of times overall. I once beat it 2 player mode with just myself, and I fried 3 NES's falling asleep playing it and leaving the machine on overnight. I'ts been years since a proper playthrough. I'm due.

55137-Contra_(USA)-9.jpg

Contra.jpg

images

34sg4e.gif

contra-facehugger.jpg

images

televator

I ordered a Mega Everdrive a few months ago. I got an Order Confirmation Notice instantly upon payment and an Order Shipping Notice with a tracking number three working days after (bought thursday, sent tuesday.) It was sent by binaritydyne at gmail.

Thanks a lot! Guess I'll send them a message.

graywords

I fried 3 NES's falling asleep playing it and leaving the machine on overnight.

Is this a thing that actually happens? Haven't heard of a NES frying after leaving it on overnight, let alone 3 times for one person. I thought they were made of Nintendium.

Bancho

I guess this belongs in here lol. I spend most of my time in the CRT/RGB thread but also the scanline thread.

I'm pretty into my retro games and over the past year or so purchased a fair few systems that i owned in the past or wanted to pick up.

Another thing i discovered is that i'm pretty OCD with picture quality in my old age so have modded most systems for RGB and gone down the broadcast monitor route.

The only system that isn't RGB is my twin famicom, but every other system is RGB. Also my 'retro corner' is a room which runs under our stairs so is pretty small but big enough to house my systems :)

IMG_50382.jpg

I'm just waiting for Christmas as my wife is getting me a Turbo Everdrive wooo :D

Peagles

Is this a thing that actually happens? Haven't heard of a NES frying after leaving it on overnight, let alone 3 times for one person. I thought they were made of Nintendium.

Wow yeh first I've heard too. We used to leave our Master System on for days at a time and just turn the TV off (since we couldn't save on most games back then). Never missed a beat.

Shining

Depends on the sellers I guess? I had a problem with one and Silhouette Mirage awhile back, but recently its been pretty quick.

Now isn't the best time to order stuff online anyway, the network is saturated because of Christmas and the risk of getting your parcel lost is much higher.
I recieved the package yesterday. Yay. For whatever reason it was stuck in portugal for about a month. No idéa why.

Scored a black one locally for about $80. Pretty happy with that purchase :)

Since October, I've been watching Are You Afraid of the Dark episodes, chronologically. Great show!

Anyway.. just watched 'The Tale of the Crimson Clown', and it had some video game imagery I thought would be fun to share.

Zeebo's Big House... I want to play this!
QNolsNw.jpg

Before the kid, Sam, places his new game on the shelf, you can see the back of the game Drop Off, upside down.. I wonder why they didn't black it out or censor it like the next couple things..

MPwB2sl.jpg

Sam has half a Sonic 2 poster on his wall, for some reason. Maybe he's just a Robotnik fan?

gl9N5ek.jpg

Here we see Sam sitting at his desk, with an NES in plain sight, though "Nintendo Entertainment System" seems to be blacked out or has a sticker over it.
He also seems to have a stack of Turbografx games, but it's hard to tell..

0zY9BuI.jpg

Plan on watching that in the future as I grew up with Goosebumps.

Word of warning to you.

As they're listed on Amazon Instant Video, the episodes are ALL out of order.
What they're calling 'seasons' are really the mixed up DVD volume releases.

If chronology is important to you (there's continuity with the kids around the campfire before they tell a story) I recommend following an episode list, like this (just don't spoil the stories by reading the description and villains).

Something else to note, is that only half the 'seasons' are eligible for Prime Instant Video. So since the episodes are all mixed up chronologically, I'm jumping through the free episodes on Amazon and watching the episodes on Youtube since they all seem to be available there too.

Timu

Word of warning to you.

As they're listed on Amazon Instant Video, the episodes are ALL out of order.
What they're calling 'seasons' are really the mixed up DVD volume releases.

If chronology is important to you (there's continuity with the kids around the campfire before they tell a story) I recommend following an episode list, like this (just don't spoil the stories by reading the description and villains).

Something else to note, is that only half the 'seasons' are eligible for Prime Instant Video. So since the episodes are all mixed up chronologically, I'm jumping through the free episodes on Amazon and watching the episodes on Youtube since they all seem to be available there too.
Thanks for telling me this, will keep it in mind!

entremet

This Youtuber got the haul of the millennium.

A former game store owner wanted to offload his wares and instead of listing on eBay he just sold his whole lot to him at a set price. He didn't care about profiteering so he accepted much less than the total worth.

That's just part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdqMi8oIhs

Dude had 5 more videos itemizing all his haul.

Some of the stuff he scored for those low on time:

Two Little Samsons--one NA one PAL
Action 52
Flintstones 2
Tons of CIB NES games in pristine condition
CIB N64/GBA games.
CIB Sega CD/Saturn--with Snatcher, 3 copies of Magic Knight Rayearth all CIB, Lunar games
Tons of boxed systems, including TG16, with tons of CIB TG16 games, which are super expensive.

Check it out if you have time. Dude got super luck.

He basically paid 2 dollars for system and game for the lot. It was around 2000 games and several systems.

Teknoman

This Youtuber got the haul of the millennium.

A former game store owner wanted to offload his wares and instead of listing on eBay he just sold his whole lot to him at a set price. He didn't care about profiteering so he accepted much less than the total worth.

That's just part one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdqMi8oIhs

Dude had 5 more videos itemizing all his haul.

Some of the stuff he scored for those low on time:

Two Little Samsons--one NA one PAL
Action 52
Flintstones 2
Tons of CIB NES games in pristine condition
CIB N64/GBA games.
CIB Sega CD/Saturn--with Snatcher, 3 copies of Magic Knight Rayearth all CIB, Lunar games
Tons of boxed systems, including TG16, with tons of CIB TG16 games, which are super expensive.

Check it out if you have time. Dude got super luck.

He basically paid 2 dollars for system and game for the lot. It was around 2000 games and several systems.

Damn how do people get connections like this?

entremet

Damn how do people get connections like this?

He lives in the Seattle area, so lots of former and current Nintendo employees offloading shit on Craiglist.

The way he paid for this was getting Fierce Deity Statuette from a former Nintendo employee. They only made like 400. He sold it on eBay for 2k and used that to pay for this haul.

Teknoman

He lives in the Seattle area, so lots of former and current Nintendo employees offloading shit on Craiglist.

The way he paid for this was getting Fierce Deity Statuette from a former Nintendo employee. They only made like 400. He sold it on eBay for 2k and used that to pay for this haul.

I guess thats probably where people get all those prototype copies and so on.

Krejlooc

Banned
One last epic pickup before the new year:

MpFhdNBl.jpg

tXMf8Ryl.jpg

When sega produced fantasy zone II DX they actually produced an extremely limited number of real sega system 16 pcbs with the game on them, in other words real arcade boards. This is one of them. The number on the sega sticker isn't a production number, it's a model number, less than 500 of these exist.

I am so stoked to finally have one of these.

Krejlooc

Banned
congrats!

Thanks, ive been looking for this board for years. I had essentially given up on finding a real board and was looking at bootlegs out of korea but even those are hard to find. When a bon-bootleg came across my lap I couldnt pass it up. I might have overpaid - who knows on an item like this - but this is one of my crown jewels in my collection immediately. I may never run across another official board again in my life. Im so excited!

Krejlooc

Banned
Almost 10 years ago, I lost a bunch of boxes in hurricane rita, and I've been pretty upset about losing those boxes since. Some were of awesome games, but the one that hurt the most was my claufighters sculptors cut box and manual, which go for crazy amounts of money today.

Well today, I went over to my folks place and was helping them store their Christmas decorations when we found a box deep in the attic. Turns out not every box I had was in the box ruined in rita - a caseload of mint n64 and snes and nes boxes - including clayfighters. I can't say enough how happy I am!

Peltz

Krejlooc batting 1,000 lately. Congrats again. Nothing like discovering a box of retro stuff you assumed was gone.

Almost 10 years ago, I lost a bunch of boxes in hurricane rita, and I've been pretty upset about losing those boxes since. Some were of awesome games, but the one that hurt the most was my claufighters sculptors cut box and manual, which go for crazy amounts of money today.

Well today, I went over to my folks place and was helping them store their Christmas decorations when we found a box deep in the attic. Turns out not every box I had was in the box ruined in rita - a caseload of mint n64 and snes and nes boxes - including clayfighters. I can't say enough how happy I am!

We had similar surprise salvage after Katrina, about the only nice thing to come out of it. You on the LA or TX side?

Khaz

Moving a conversation here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/18/beautiful-game-collection_n_4808710.html

A real gamer, this one. Makes a complete collection, sells it less than a year later.

Uhm, I don't have the link to it off hand, but this guy is pretty well known in game collecting circles. If it sells, he's planning to use the funds to put toward buying a new house...and then he's just going to start collecting again.

Edit: found it. http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollect...0_systems_complete_nintendo_sega_sets/cnjh2b8

This is bullshit though. Guy bought 6000 games in less than four years. He was just interested in making a good looking room and has the money to buy bulks of stuff he didn't care for and the rarer stuff at ebay BIN prices. If he never started this collection he would already have had the money for his house or whatever. Now that his completionist OCD is satisfied, he dumps it away.

This is bullshit though. Guy bought 6000 games in less than four years. He was just interested in making a good looking room and has the money to buy bulks of stuff he didn't care for and the rarer stuff at ebay BIN prices. If he never started this collection he would already have had the money for his house or whatever. Now that his completionist OCD is satisfied, he dumps it away.

I mean if that's the case, it's kinda...dumb, I guess, to turn it all around like that. I'm not even all that mad. My collection is pretty tame in comparison to most but I'm not remotely as OCD about it.

TBH I don't even know what we were really arguing about. That he's not a real gamer, or a bad collector? I mean he's raising his kids on SMW, so that's gotta count for something, and ... man, you know what? I don't even have the energy to defend this dude's collection habits. I don't know him, I just know I had seen it a few times before and thought Twizer was maybe a bigger name than he is.

Sorry, man. Just ain't got the fight in me this morning, lol.

Khaz

Sorry, man. Just ain't got the fight in me this morning, lol.

lol no worries, I'm just upset about silly things ;)
But yeah, I don't like collectionists, especially of the kind who just dumps their money to make a big wall of games without, you know, playing them. They make it all the worst for us as they are driving prices up.

Yeah, I've been growing my modest collection over the last few months, but only picking up games that either I really loved or had some sentimental value to me. Very few of the games I've gone after have been games I hadn't already played back in the day.

Once I get my place cleaned up some and organized I'd like to snap some pics and upload it, most recently picked up a set on eBay of all the SFC Rockman/X games (excluding soccer) for ~$90. Probably my best pickup so far, because I just could not justify throwing down the kind of cash people want for the SNES versions of Megaman X2 or X3.

IrishNinja

MpFhdNBl.jpg

tXMf8Ryl.jpg

When sega produced fantasy zone II DX they actually produced an extremely limited number of real sega system 16 pcbs with the game on them, in other words real arcade boards. This is one of them. The number on the sega sticker isn't a production number, it's a model number, less than 500 of these exist.

stupid-late on this, but didn't even know this existed...congrats man!

Tain

MpFhdNBl.jpg

tXMf8Ryl.jpg

jfc i am jealous

Gunsmithx

MpFhdNBl.jpg

tXMf8Ryl.jpg

Another thing to put on the list of things I want but will probably never have, congrats though, that's pretty awesome.

Also sup Irish, good to see you around :p

Top Bottom