• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Ban Puncher

yT1hoVa.jpg

These aren't mine, I just thought I'd share some nightmare fuel.

Khaz

I think that was the NFG controls webmaster's collection that got ruined in a flood in Australia a few years ago, no?

edit: yeah,
http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/1003-Queensland-Flood-NFG-s-Story
http://kotaku.com/5735493/vintage-gaming-collection-washed-away-in-aussie-floods/

Couldn't the electronics be saved? Sure they were underwater for a few hours and filled with mud, but after a good cleaning I'm sure most of them would be able to power up again (as long as they weren't powered up during the flood.) Maybe change the outlets and power adapters too. Everything LCD is probably dead though :(

The games on the other hand, well we all know what paper becomes when underwater. It would become a cart only collection :(

edit:
But the other thing about that mud is... It was caustic. It etched metals. The aluminum bases of joysticks had permanent markings etched into them where the mud settled. Things rusted, and fast. Nothing with a moving component (CD mechanisms) would ever work again, that mud got into everything, and have you seen the insides of a laser lens? Forget it.

[...]

So ultimately I left most of it behind, and yeah, it caused me some heartache. All my life I wanted to buy a house so I could finally get my awesome games out of boxes and put them on display, give them some proper respect instead of keeping them boxed up like some sort of hoarding miser.

And then the insurance money came, and now I have a house and no stuff to put in it.
:(

Ban Puncher

I've been through a flood and two burglaries and my collection has escaped unscathed each time.

King Neptune and local crackheads must not want Metal Slug AES cartridges.

Khaz

King Neptune and local crackheads must not want Metal Slug AES cartridges.

They don't know what they're missing.

I've always wondered what would happen to the old videogames if I ever were burglarised (is it a real word?) Documentaries told me opportunistic burglars, the ones looking for unlocked windows in empty flats would just grab mobile phones and look for jewels and money, taking the occasional laptop if available, without staying more than a few minutes inside. I suppose most have no idea of the current state of the retro video game market.

Then again years ago my parents and all their neighbours had their "summer house" broken into during winter, the guys came with a truck and literally emptied the houses.

Peltz

I dropped my copies of Mega Man 7 and Majora's Mask (Gold cart) on my hardwood floor this weekend and both got cracked pretty badly :*(

The flood pics put everything in perspective though.

Peltz

I hope nobody minds me double posting. This post comes days after the last one, and I figured this would be bump-worthy. I decided to start sharing a bit more about my collection starting with this:

Other than the Walmart-exclusive cards, it's a complete collection.

A few years ago, I met a guy on a little website known as Gamefaqs who also printed these for me:

It's a complete backup set of all of the cards. But, it also includes a translated version of all of the known Japanese-exclusive level/item cards that we didn't get here in the states.

I haven't actually scanned and played all of them yet, but here are some shots of the levels I've scanned in thus far:
There are some real gems in here. It's a shame that most people will never get to play these levels. In many ways, they exhibit the wacky-off the wall-spirit of the stuff we've seen in Mario Maker footage thus far. Hopefully, Nintendo finds a way to release these to the general public in playable form some day. For instance, the following is all from one level:

Here we see raccoon Mario from Super Mario Bros. 3 standing on an invisible platform with enemies from Super Mario World.

Then, when you go outside, you see a turnip sprout from SMB2 ready to be plucked:
Then, if you fly around for a bit, you can access the tanooki suit.. and yes, that 1-up mushroom is also on an invisible platform:

Finally, the only way to make the platforms "appear" and the only way to break the silver blocks is to transform into the statue as tanooki Mario (sorry for the pause screen, but I couldn't do this with one hand while taking the photo):

This makes for quite an interesting navigational challenge as you have to fly around the stage, constantly flipping into a statue and lose your mobility while searching for all of the hidden large coins within a pretty difficult time limit.

Such large coins are deviously hidden throughout most of the scanned levels that will permanently open up minigames on the e-World map when you collect enough of them.... Like this kickball minigame where you have to bank the ball into the bubble to pop it and get the item for your inventory:

Overall, it's a part of my collection I'm pretty happy to own. In fact, I even contemplated making a RTTP thread about this, but I worried it'd just drive up the price of the cards even more so I resisted that urge.

Most Mario stuff is ubiquitous, and the content in these cards really deserves to be experienced by more gamers too, given their quality. It's also really hard to imagine, but between SML2 in 1992 and NSMB in 2006, these were the only new Mario levels we got from Nintendo (not counting Yoshi's Island). It was a time when we were clamoring for more "traditional" Mario. Again, it's a shame they chose to only release the new content via this convoluted fashion which required two GBA's, a link cable, a copy of SMA4:SMB3, and an eReader device, plus some magic other means if you wanted to play all of the Japanese-exclusive content.

IrishNinja

Again, it's a shame they chose to only release the new content via this convoluted fashion which required two GBA's, a link cable, a copy of SMA4:SMB3, and an eReader device, plus some magic other means if you wanted to play all of the Japanese-exclusive content.

...plus all the cards...jesus, nintendo

props on the collection man, i can only hope there's a ROMhack out there one day to play some of these myself!

Mzo

That's a funny coincidence. A friend of mine just found all his e-Reader cards in a binder while moving and gave them to me, including the SMB3 cards.

It was just two big packs to buy in store (no boosters aside from the Walmart pack-in) that brought every card so unless people have lost some over time, anyone that bought them should have the full set of cards.

It was way harder to put together the stupid Animal Crossing sets.

Peltz

That's a funny coincidence. A friend of mine just found all his e-Reader cards in a binder while moving and gave them to me, including the SMB3 cards.

It was just two big packs to buy in store (no boosters aside from the Walmart pack-in) that brought every card so unless people have lost some over time, anyone that bought them should have the full set of cards.

There were also non-Walmart pack-in cards that came in the first few shipments of the standard SMA4 box prior to the discontinuance of the eReader. They're super common on Ebay though.

But again, the North American cards that got released comprise only 1/3rd of the content, unfortunately. It really stinks that we never officially got sets 3 and 4.

IrishNinja, I do believe there are a few save files out there for emulators to run these levels. The levels are stored as part of the cart's save file, itself, so I don't think it should be very hard to find all of the content out there. I doubt any one file has all the levels without a corresponding romhack though because you couldn't save all of the levels on one cart - some had to be deleted and rescanned later after you reach a certain amount.

Although I don't emulate games other than VC anymore, I've seen videos that this content is available for homebrew emulators so definitely seek it out if that's your thing.

IrishNinja

god, but finding the codes for say Punch-Out!! in web 1.0 (and long before virtual console) felt fucking magical, though

it was like, here's a game that's gonna be a massive timesink; now we're gonna add to that

IrishNinja, I do believe there are a few save files out there for emulators to run these levels. The levels are stored as part of the cart's save file, itself, so I don't think it should be very hard to find all of the content out there. I doubt any one file has all the levels without a corresponding romhack though because you couldn't save all of the levels on one cart - some had to be deleted and rescanned later after you reach a certain amount.

Although I don't emulate games other than VC anymore, I've seen videos that this content is available for homebrew emulators so definitely seek it out if that's your thing.

yeah, weird that this kinda thing isn't on VC, it'd be a big sell i think. good to know man, thanks though.

Greetings, RetroGAF ! :D

Only you can help me : I'm looking for a game whose title I've forgotten. It was a platformer game, on a Sega hradware IIRC (Genesis or Master System, the former is more probable), the style was early 90s anime/cartoony (quite colorful), it was probably released in Japan before 1992 and you got kissed on the cheek by a girl at the end of each world.

The worlds seemed rather large with plenty of secret passages. I would really like to give it a try now :)

Greetings, RetroGAF ! :D

Only you can help me : I'm looking for a game whose title I've forgotten. It was a platformer game, on a Sega hradware IIRC (Genesis or Master System, the former is more probable), the style was early 90s anime/cartoony (quite colorful), it was probably released in Japan before 1992 and you got kissed on the cheek by a girl at the end of each world.

The worlds seemed rather large with plenty of secret passages. I would really like to give it a try now :)

Joe and Mac

IrishNinja

man i love it when they cover obscure systems, will watch soon

buddy of mine up in NY swears next time he's down in MIA he should have a boxed CD-I in his closet, if he finds it it's mine...time to start burning bad zelda games i guess

entremet

man i love it when they cover obscure systems, will watch soon

buddy of mine up in NY swears next time he's down in MIA he should have a boxed CD-I in his closet, if he finds it it's mine...time to start burning bad zelda games i guess

There's in interesting hardware tidbit that video talks about. It's a huge design flaw that affects the life of the system. It's repairable, though.

Suggestions for where to pick up Japanese consoles? Games aren't difficult, but actual NTSC-J consoles seem to be less common. I'm in the SE States, by the way.

Teknoman

Suggestions for where to pick up Japanese consoles? Games aren't difficult, but actual NTSC-J consoles seem to be less common. I'm in the SE States, by the way.

Ebay isnt that bad. Is there any reason why you dont just want console + converters? Aside from physical design I guess.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. PS1/2 only need a modchip to circumvent region lock.
If I could find Someone selling premodded consoles I'd do that, but they seem to be pretty uncommon these days. I was referring to swapdisc and the like.

Khaz

I wish my PSOne's modchip circumvented region lock, it's a pain in the butt that I have to use swap discs.

Really? You bought the console already modded or you didn't have the choice in chips? I modded mine myself, but I thought the current chips on the market allow for region-unlock on both Playstations and PSones from either region. My European PSOne plays everything, and I'm almost certain there's an equivalent chip for the American model.

If I could find Someone selling premodded consoles I'd do that, but they seem to be pretty uncommon these days. I was referring to swapdisc and the like.

Find consoles premodded can be difficult, but you just need to have a console, buy the chip online and find someone who can handle a soldering iron. I believe someone on Neogaf can do it for you for a small fee, but I can't remember who.

Find consoles premodded can be difficult, but you just need to have a console, buy the chip online and find someone who can handle a soldering iron. I believe someone on Neogaf can do it for you for a small fee, but I can't remember who.

I'll be on the lookout for a premodded console, but honestly being without my console for potentially months and paying for the modchip and 2 way shipping and installation, it comes out being comparably expensive to just getting a japanese ps2.

Peagles

Really? You bought the console already modded or you didn't have the choice in chips? I modded mine myself, but I thought the current chips on the market allow for region-unlock on both Playstations and PSones from either region. My European PSOne plays everything, and I'm almost certain there's an equivalent chip for the American model.

Yeh it was already modded when I bought it a few years back. Plays PAL originals and backups with no problem but won't boot any NTSC games. I just use a Breaker Pro. Considering buying another PSOne and put in a better chip myself, if I can find where to get one these days.

baphomet

I'll be on the lookout for a premodded console, but honestly being without my console for potentially months and paying for the modchip and 2 way shipping and installation, it comes out being comparably expensive to just getting a japanese ps2.

Ive got a psone and original style ps1 premodded for sale. I also think I have a ps2 premodded here somewhere.

Khaz

Yeh it was already modded when I bought it a few years back. Plays PAL originals and backups with no problem but won't boot any NTSC games. I just use a Breaker Pro. Considering buying another PSOne and put in a better chip myself, if I can find where to get one these days.

Bad_Ad84 on assemblergames forum sells chips from the UK. You want the Onechip.

Khaz

I've tried emailing him several times in the past and got no response. I guess I could try and figure out how to use my PIC programmer...

That's surprising, I ordered twice from him and both times it went quickly and smoothly I had my chips less than a week after (and I'm living abroad).
In any case these are fairly common chips, you can find them sold on many websites.

Peagles

That's surprising, I ordered twice from him and both times it went quickly and smoothly I had my chips less than a week after (and I'm living abroad).
In any case these are fairly common chips, you can find them sold on many websites.

I figured maybe even though he gives his email, he will only reply to members? Either way I have a programmer and the chip, I just cant find any info about which way to insert it lol. I know how to load up the program and flash it, I just don't want to put it in the wrong way and kill the chip!

Teknoman

Yeah, mostly posted for whoever would be interested in seeing how high something like that could reach.

On another note, i'm kinda hoping to start seeing mini-reviews in the various threads again. Always liked reading detailed impressions/reviews of retro games that were new to people or havent been played in awhile. From people who participate in the threads anyway.

Top Bottom