• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not a fan of the shades of red and blue they used for the Switch... or that there's both colors on the side of it. Dunno, maybe it looks better in person.

Peltz

I'm not a fan of the shades of red and blue they used for the Switch... or that there's both colors on the side of it. Dunno, maybe it looks better in person.

It's really impressive in person. I don't know how they got the colors to pop so much.

I also have the grey joy cons (bought a second set) and they look so boring in comparison.

I spent a good portion of yesterday playing a bunch of different vertical shooters figuring out what supports tate mode and what doesn't. Vertical shooters may be one of my favorite genres of all times. I forgot how much I loved some of these games. I think I ended spending the most time with the PS2 DoDonPachi Dojoui (spelling) and ESP Galuda. Although that really just made me wish we got ESP Ra.De. on a home console of some sort. I'm not really a big mame/emulator guy anymore but there's a few vertical games that I'm tempted to get emulated on my HTPC now.

I also softmodded my original Xbox today, was super super easy. Just have to find a decent sized ide hard drive to rip my Xbox collection to. Well that and I need to pull the one capacitor that likes to leak, probably next weekends job.

Anyone else done this with their original Xbox? I did this with my PS2 and once I got OPL playing nicely with everything and my collection ripped and copied over, it's been pretty awesome.

Yeah it's really slick to run Xbox games off local storage instead of a disk. I even rigged mine to use an SD card so my Xbox is super quiet and more reliable.

Tain

I spent a good portion of yesterday playing a bunch of different vertical shooters figuring out what supports tate mode and what doesn't. Vertical shooters may be one of my favorite genres of all times. I forgot how much I loved some of these games. I think I ended spending the most time with the PS2 DoDonPachi Dojoui (spelling) and ESP Galuda. Although that really just made me wish we got ESP Ra.De. on a home console of some sort. I'm not really a big mame/emulator guy anymore but there's a few vertical games that I'm tempted to get emulated on my HTPC now.

PC MAME is where it's at. Not everything runs perfectly, of course, but it's utterly invaluable when it comes to getting comprehensive access to Japanese arcade gaming's history without having physical access to it or insane amounts of money to buy every PCB and port there is. A nice arcade stick, a gsync display, and nice-looking CRT filter settings solve the biggest potential issues with emulation, too. It's no doubt a lot to set up, though.

Yeah it's really slick to run Xbox games off local storage instead of a disk. I even rigged mine to use an SD card so my Xbox is supper quiet and more reliable.

Wait, does it boot off of the SD card? I asked about something similar ages ago and people wrote the idea off, lol. How well does that perform? I have my PS2 running games off of an SD card through an IDE SD card reader, is it pretty much the same process for Xbox?

PC MAME is where it's at. Not everything runs perfectly, of course, but it's utterly invaluable when it comes to getting comprehensive access to Japanese arcade gaming's history without having physical access to it or insane amounts of money to buy every PCB and port there is. A nice arcade stick, a gsync display, and nice-looking CRT filter settings solve the biggest potential issues with emulation, too. It's no doubt a lot to set up, though.

What arcade stick are you using on the PC side of things?

Wait, does it boot off of the SD card? I asked about something similar ages ago and people wrote the idea off, lol. How well does that perform? I have my PS2 running games off of an SD card through an IDE SD card reader, is it pretty much the same process for Xbox?

Yeah it boots off the SD card. I totally replaced the hard drive. I want to have pretty much all my systems eventually not relying on any moving parts (aside from fans).

Performance is good as long as you have a decent SD card, seems the same as a hard drive (I think we're limited by the speeds of the IDE interface) but seek times should be lower. And yeah it's an SD to IDE adapter; the biggest caveat is that you can't do drive locking required by Xbox on SD card so you need a modified bios (I think there's a relatively simple way to do this up to rev 1.5) or a modchip (required for a 1.6).

I posted about it in the Xbox thread a few months ago:

I was going to replace my hard drive in my softmodded Xbox with an SD to IDE adapter but Xbox uses ATA drive locking and the adapter or possibly the SD spec does not support it. So I bought a modchip and will install that when it arrives to disable the drive locking BS. I know SD cards are likely to fail too in the mid-to-long-run but at least getting a new one is easy, they're cheap, they're not going anywhere, and if everything's unlocked I can even replace it without taking the case apart.

<snip>

So this worked:

MnBSmAY.jpg

SDXC to IDE to replace the internal hard drive. Formatted a 200GB card just fine.

I had to install a modchip first since the SD card doesn't feature drive locking (as mentioned here), which took damn near two months to arrive. Bit annoying but it means going forward I can pretty easily swap in a new drive/sdcard without having to worry about drive locking giving me an extremely heavy brick down the line. Installing it on my 1.6 revision meant I also had to rebuild the LPC header, but that was a good opportunity to try out kynar wire for the first time.

Main benefit is that I have loads of space to install discs now. Side benefit is that my Xbox is way lighter!

If anyone is curious I did some research before going the SD card route. I actually looked into this when I set up a Win98 PC with an SD adapter.

One common thing to worry about with SD cards is repeated writes wrecking the storage chip, as NAND storage has a limited number of writes before it's dead. I believe this to be a valid concern but depending on your application it's not as big a deal as you'd think. All SD cards from reputable manufacturers (Sandisk/Toshiba, Lexar, Transcend, etc) come with wear leveling algorithms in the integrated controllers, which means it doesn't just write to the same cell over and over again if the same file is written more than once -- it writes to a different cell. This is effective unless your SD card is nearly stuffed full and you have data writing continuously.

For Xbox, most writes are savedata (small) and game cache (larger but not too bad). In this scenario, with a 200GB SD card at under 75% capacity (after filling with dvd2xbox game backups) you should have plenty of headroom to allow for cache partition writes without needing to worry for many, many years.

If you're very concerned about this 1) make backups and 2) there are high endurance SD cards from Sandisk, Lexar, and Transcend which are marketed towards continuous write scenarios like car dashcams and are rated for many many hours of writes, and they're not much more expensive than regular cards (just lower capacity ceilings), so buy those if you're paranoid.

Can this be done on a PS2 with an ethernet adapter?

Yeah it's way easier on PS2 since you don't need to deal with drive locking; you just need some extension wires to attach male to female.

I found recently that I can't get any more than 128GB working with my setup. I'm not sure if it's the adapter or the PS2 or the weirdness of the 200GB sd card (internally it has a 128gb and 64gb part) or I just set something up wrong (I have it as a 48bit format) but it's a bit annoying.

D.Lo

Can we all agree that Neon Switch is the sexiest of all designs? It beats out Orange Spice Gamecube for me at this point.
I got Neon because it has that Splatoon feeling. It does sort of seem a bit silly, at least in photgraphs, to play Zelda with the bright colours though lol.

I sold my orange Gamecube actually, I went back to black. I feel the GameCube's elegantly brutal design works best in black.

Probably because I was 7 and didn't understand Euro-platforming.
what's euro platforming? never heard of that genre. Flashback reminds me of Out of This World.
Had both Kung-Fu and Spy Hunter as a kid, seeing both carts makes me feel a little warm and fuzzy.
was playing both just now =)
Flashback really isn't a plateformer at all. More of a Prince of Persia clone with lots of puzzle elements.
i guess Prince of Persia is not Euro-platforming.
I posted about it in the Xbox thread a few months ago:
what kind of sorcery is this!?!

Fularu

Banned
When people say "Euro platforming" I think of games like Nikki Boom, Gods, Magic Pockets, Titus the Fox, Fire and Ice, Lionheart, Brian the Lion, Flink, Adventures of Lomax and so on.

Flashback and Prince of Persia are nothing like that (for many, Flashback is the spiritual successor to Another World, since both were made by Delphine Software (even if Flashback has nothing to do with Eric Chahi)) :p

Tain

What arcade stick are you using on the PC side of things?

2009 Mad Catz TE stick, their first big Sanwa one. I doubt you can go wrong with any modern stick with Sanwa parts, really. 360 and XBO sticks will be more universally compatible with PC games than PS3 and PS4 ones, but MAME will work with either.

D.Lo

When people say "Euro platforming" I think of games like Nikki Boom, Gods, Magic Pockets, Titus the Fox, Fire and Ice, Lionheart, Brian the Lion, Flink, Adventures of Lomax and so on.

Flashback and Prince of Persia are nothing like that (for many, Flashback is the spiritual successor to Another World, since both were made by Delphine Software (even if Flashback has nothing to do with Eric Chahi)) :p
Agreed, Euro-platformer = Amiga/C64/Sega Master System style.

Prince of Persia style? They don't really have a name. Karateka/PoP style is all I've ever said.

Laws00

Took me 3 hours to load all the roms

Took 1 hour to find my AC adaptor which I need a new one by the way

Finally got to play these games with fan translations

I'm done!

Edit
Well aware of the dust in my room

Spladam

I spent a good portion of yesterday playing a bunch of different vertical shooters figuring out what supports tate mode and what doesn't. Vertical shooters may be one of my favorite genres of all times. I forgot how much I loved some of these games.
Ikaruga (my favorite of all time) on both Game Cube and Steam. Don't know about the XBL version.

Also, I second mame as your all access pass to all kinds of stuff you'd never get anywhere else without extreme funding or hassle. It's especially cool when you add screenshots, history files (which are amazingly in depth), and cabinet artwork.

I guess I was wrong about Flashback and PoP being Euro-platformers. It doubly doesn't make sense since PoP was made by Americans. Still, I've never been able to get into those games with hyper-realistic movement, especially as a kid.

Laws00

Aspect ratio dude! 4:3 that shiz!

One thing at a time. Lol

Looking into getting a frameiester probably in the summer. Can't justify price ATM.

A blown up 40 inch hd Samsung looks weird lol

I also need to look into getting a snes and sega genesis adapters. Preferably OEMs cause all off brand from what I'm reading are bad at least for snes other anyone has recommendations

i just played my wii u for the first time.

wow! it's pretty nifty. i did not know you can just play games straight on the game pad. (i got confused because nintendo FORCES you to have a tv to set it up) i'm going to put this on my bed room lampstand where my n3ds goes now that i know i can boot it up without a TV.

wow! it's pretty nifty. i did not know you can just play games straight on the game pad. (i got confused because nintendo FORCES you to have a tv to set it up) i'm going to put this on my bed room lampstand where my n3ds goes now that i know i can boot it up without a TV.

Keep in mind the range on the gamepad isn't great. More then likely You'll need to have the wiiu in your room as well.

Fularu

Banned
Yeah it's way easier on PS2 since you don't need to deal with drive locking; you just need some extension wires to attach male to female.

I found recently that I can't get any more than 128GB working with my setup. I'm not sure if it's the adapter or the PS2 or the weirdness of the 200GB sd card (internally it has a 128gb and 64gb part) or I just set something up wrong (I have it as a 48bit format) but it's a bit annoying.
Any tutorial somewhere?

My fat sp2 is getting long in the tooth

Any tutorial somewhere?

My fat sp2 is getting long in the tooth

I've seen tutorials about this with totally wrong info.

You just need an IDE to SD card adapter, which you can get for cheap on ebay, preferably one that advertises as supporting SDXC for compatibility with SD cards >32GB in size.

Then you need a way to physically connect it to the PS2 ethernet adapter. This requires either using an IDE+molex extension cables, or (doing what I did) getting an adapter that uses 44pin laptop style IDE with a passive adapter to regular 40pin IDE + molex. The SD card just goes in the SD->IDE adapter and should work fine.

From there, you can just put the SD card into your computer or USB adapter and format + use it using the normal IDE hard drive tutorials. I've seen claims that you would need to connect to a computer through an IDE adapter but that's completely wrong. You do, however, need to make sure that if you have a >32GB SD card to be careful that you use an SDXC compatible adapter to USB as some SDHC adapters do not work correctly with SDXC.

Peltz

Not that I use MAME at all anymore, but I use the VLX Kuro on my computer with a Seimitsu LS-56 and Seimitsu buttons. It's pretty swag for Crimzon Clover and the like.

That sounds nice. I'm more of a Sanwa man myself though.

You could probably pick up one of the MadCatz SFIV TE sticks for Xbox 360 with PC support on the cheap these days. Those sticks are terrific.

Gamepad is all compressed and low res though. On some games, you'll be doing yourself a major disservice by not using an HDTV.

Also, while rare, some games do require both HDTV and the Gamepad for the most optimal gameplay. Star Fox Zero, Pikmin 3, and W101 are examples of some games that aren't as good on a single screen.

televator

The real test is where does the Zelda Franchise go from here, lol.

Modern times/techno Link? lol

I'm getting a bit more of an Okami vibe from the game currently. It feels like a natural progression of what direction that game took given the technological progress of home consoles.

Gamepad is all compressed and low res though. On some games, you'll be doing yourself a major disservice by not using an HDTV.

It's a good solution but not great. It's low res, the screen isn't great, and the compression (while decent quality) uses YUV 4:2:0 color space so you can get some very ugly artifacts. The most obvious is the hearts in Zelda; they're pure red so you just get the a super blocky hearts.

At least the latency is very low.

Modern times/techno Link? lol

I'm getting a bit more of an Okami vibe from the game currently. It feels like a natural progression of what direction that game took given the technological progress of home consoles.

I dunno why but I just have a feeling the next game will have some asset reuse ala MM after OoT

Peltz

The real test is where does the Zelda Franchise go from here, lol.

Personally, I'd love for them to take some of the new concepts in BotW and make a full open world 2D Zelda action game with tough combat and free-form puzzle solving. They already showed a prototype at GDC of this, so imagine a game the same size/scope of BotW but top down, and going on for miles. Like a really huge Link to the Past or Zelda 1 with physics

Personally, I'd love for them to take some of the new concepts in BotW and make a full open world 2D Zelda action game with tough combat and free-form puzzle solving. They already showed a prototype at GDC of this, so imagine a game the same size/scope of BotW but top down, and going on for miles. Like a really huge Link to the Past or Zelda 1 with physics

They did say that 2D Zelda isn't done so who knows!

I personally would love for them to release their prototype to play but I doubt they will. A little window into the minds that developed such an incredible game is always welcome.

Tain

I dunno why but I just have a feeling the next game will have some asset reuse ala MM after OoT

I'd be really happy if they reused a lot of the ecosystem and terrain assets and focused on making the combat more complex (lots of new enemy types, maybe some new fundamental moves for Link, ideally both), capped the amount of stuff Link can eat at once with some kind of fullness meter, and above all else made some thorough and varied dungeons/"stages" with harsher death penalties than what we saw as standard in BotW (a lot more stuff like Eventide basically).

Think I'd rather see 2D zelda go back to its roots as being extremely dungeon-focused. Applying the BOTW mini dungeon concepts to 2D zelda would be a nice augmentation, though. And a more interactive world (say, bombs blowing up walls or trees even if they're not special entities) would make for a pretty nice experience. But I don't think making the overworld really expansive would be a positive change.
Oh and please for the love of god no more rental systems ever.

I really like Breath of the Wild.

I don't want any more Zelda games to be anything like it.

I really don't know what to expect of the series main servings or side dishes, but I want actual, big, meaty dungeons, I want better motivations for side stuff than just worthless shrine orbs, I want the drip feed of new cool items throughout the game, and I want a world segmented based on how far along you are in the quest.

I really like Breath of the Wild.

I don't want any more Zelda games to be anything like it.

I think what I want to see more is something like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which seems very likely to share tech) but go more nuts with RPG systemic complexity that you just can't get away with in a Zelda game.

Touch less MMO would be nice there as well, but whatever, I'll take what I can get.

edit: I see there is a thread on this very idea. Originality is dead.

This is amazing news! Nintendo needs to start translating all these games to fill out their library. And release some physical compilations when they are at it. That would indeed be awesome.

If they start doing that and release an Earthbound physical collection they should all it the Motherlode.

Top Bottom