• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Jaeger

WZWFkYs.jpg

So glad I was able to finally get my hands on the Saturn version of X3. Dream come true.

Keep in mind the range on the gamepad isn't great. More then likely You'll need to have the wiiu in your room as well.

Gamepad is all compressed and low res though. On some games, you'll be doing yourself a major disservice by not using an HDTV.

Also, while rare, some games do require both HDTV and the Gamepad for the most optimal gameplay. Star Fox Zero, Pikmin 3, and W101 are examples of some games that aren't as good on a single screen.

It's a good solution but not great. It's low res, the screen isn't great, and the compression (while decent quality) uses YUV 4:2:0 color space so you can get some very ugly artifacts. The most obvious is the hearts in Zelda; they're pure red so you just get the a super blocky hearts.

At least the latency is very low.
thanks guys for the heads up. i'll keep it by the hdtv. my bedroom is next door so i'll test out the range.

on a side note: thanks to breath of the wild craze. i saw a few link amiibo's on the GAF sales thread that were insane.... toon for $60, smash link used @ $40. i laughed. turns out that's the going rate for them on ebay.
out of curiosity, i put an ad for toon, smash and sheik and instantly got a 140 cash offer for them today. damn... the thirst is real. those things were just sitting on the floor gathering dust. i thought the amiibo bubble popped a long time ago.

btw, i never sold an amiibo, this was my first time ever. i just brought one of each a while back at bestbuy randomly and never thought about them till now.

thanks guys for the heads up. i'll keep it by the hdtv. my bedroom is next door so i'll test out the range.

on a side note: thanks to breath of the wild craze. i saw a few link amiibo's on the GAF sales thread that were insane.... toon for $60, smash link used @ $40. i laughed. turns out that's the going rate for them on ebay.
out of curiosity, i put an ad for toon, smash and sheik and instantly got a 140 cash offer for them today. damn... the thirst is real. those things were just sitting on the floor gathering dust. i thought the amiibo bubble popped a long time ago.

btw, i never sold an amiibo, this was my first time ever. i just brought one of each a while back at bestbuy randomly and never thought about them till now.

I thought we were past all of this, I guess not.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So seems the Seiken Densetsu collection is real on Switch, and its even getting a physical release in japan. Can we hope for a Nintendo-sponsored localization 20 years later of Seiken Densetsu 3 to fill out their library? Certainly would be an awesome gesture for their long-time fans.

So seems the Seiken Densetsu collection is real on Switch, and its even getting a physical release in japan. Can we hope for a Nintendo-sponsored localization 20 years later of Seiken Densetsu 3 to fill out their library? Certainly would be an awesome gesture for their long-time fans.

Hope springs eternal.

BTails

So, who else is playing some Daytona USA tonight now that Microsoft has made it backwards compatible on the Xbox One?

I'm ready to fly sky high.

Peltz

Hope in one hand and shit in the other. See which one fills up first.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I can't remember -- was the 360 or PS3 version of Daytona better? I think there was better AA on 360, but I recall hearing there were some differences in the steering. Coulda just been down to the actual controllers, though.

Also reminds me that I still haven't opened Daytona for Dreamcast.

Yes Boss!

I can't remember -- was the 360 or PS3 version of Daytona better? I think there was better AA on 360, but I recall hearing there were some differences in the steering. Coulda just been down to the actual controllers, though.

Just feels better with the 360 controller. I have it in both systems and always chose it in 360.

Gonna give it a spin on the new system.

That is a shame. It is one of the greatest ports of a Sega arcade game. Too bad you hate the platform that much to enjoy it. Saturn port is such a pale comparison.

I have it on the PS3, but I've been playing it on the Saturn the past few days when our copy of BOTW has been in use completely unrelated to whatever's going on in modern gaming.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i found a Tokyo Mirage session special edition on clearance at a gamestop for $50.

i don't know much about this game, is it good?

It's supposed to be great. There were people complaining before it's launch that it was some weeb shit (which it is), but people seemed pleasantly surprised when it launched. I haven't played it yet, myself, though.

Xbox 360 is one of the best honorary Sega Consoles imo, but I like Virtual On and a few extra Naomi ports more than Yakuza and Project Diva.

their original 2013 plans for X1 were some fuckery but they've improved lol

give 'em another chance

Considering that the only reason my PS4 isn't in the trash is because of Yakuza and Persona, I don't really see what an Xbox would offer me. I'm just not super interested in the direction Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Sony are taking gaming.

Anyway, I can happily play retro games like Virtual On and Daytona on a CRT using my Saturn or an arcade PCB. I don't need to play remakes even if I buy them to try to encourage Sega to keep making games like that.

Peltz

Considering that the only reason my PS4 isn't in the trash is because of Yakuza and Persona, I don't really see what an Xbox would offer me. I'm just not super interested in the direction Microsoft and, to a lesser extent, Sony are taking gaming.

Anyway, I can happily play retro games like Virtual On and Daytona on a CRT using my Saturn or an arcade PCB. I don't need to play remakes even if I buy them to try to encourage Sega to keep making games like that.
I have to admit, those two platforms are really not doing it for me lately either when it comes to big budget games. Even Souls games are a difficult for me to enjoy at this point.

Indie titles are solely keeping them alive for me.

Between Horizon, Ni-oh, and Nier, I've been thoroughly enjoying the recent offerings on PS4.

As far as retro stuff goes, I found Metal Storm on my gf's NES multicart, and hot damn is that a good game. Beat Super C with a friend last week, too. The AVS is a nice console, glad this is the way I'm getting exposure to all these games at last. Though, I do have to say that there is heaps on heaps of garbage on the NES, more than any other console I can think of, really. Unless it's the Jaguar or something.

TMS is actually one of the maybe 6 Wii U games I own and one of the 3 I have actually played. It's definitely major weeb stuff, but it's super fun.

D.Lo

the issue is that it's the only good port of Daytona, Saturn versions suuuuuuuuck.

Sega Rally on Saturn, still cooking however.

their original 2013 plans for X1 were some fuckery but they've improved lol

give 'em another chance
IMO Microsoft will be gone from consoles within four years. They have never made money overall, and already have one foot out the door with the play on Windows stuff, I reckon they'll re-position Scorpio as a 'PC in a box' after a bit then fade out, pretending 'no we didn't quit, we just folded it into PC'.

That said, I think they probably don't deserve the hate for their their used games thing. It was almost certainly a large back room agreement with many major players, including Sony, and Sony backed out silently, letting MS take all the heat. I even heard the theory that the Nintendo/EA falling out (unprecedented partnership to shithouse contractural obligation games) was because of this.

IMO Microsoft will be gone from consoles within four years. They have never made money overall, and already have one foot out the door with the play on Windows stuff, I reckon they'll re-position Scorpio as a 'PC in a box' after a bit then fade out, pretending 'no we didn't quit, we just folded it into PC'.

Doesn't really work that way. So what if they pissed away a ton of money on the original Xbox when they have continuing quarterly profits? The only thing investors care about is quarterly results.

The biggest mark against them is the YoY declines but they have some good stuff on the horizon and the Xbox brand is still very valuable so maybe that could improve?

Personally I've been saying for years that Microsoft would ditch the Xbox One in 2017 after giving it the bare minimum possible (4 years). So maybe Scorpio is fully cross compatible but so what? If they've been leaving the market with hardly any worthwhile exclusives to focus on a wholesale relaunch at the end of this year with much better hardware and a fresh brand that might be all it takes for them, and they technically didn't abandon their diehard fans so that's great. It's not like it's super hard for games to scale down these days when all PC games do that anyway.

Maybe they did some market research that said PCs don't compete with the console space, which... maybe sure I guess since there have been plenty of people buying the latest AAA hogwash on outdated hardware for a long time. And if they can make money on releasing games on more platforms that's great for just about everyone.

Anyway, super not retro.

360 though has a great library and I don't see much point in sleeping on it out of principal.

Peltz

the issue is that it's the only good port of Daytona, Saturn versions suuuuuuuuck.

Sega Rally on Saturn, still cooking however.

That said, I think they probably don't deserve the hate for their their used games thing. It was almost certainly a large back room agreement with many major players, including Sony, and Sony backed out silently, letting MS take all the heat. I even heard the theory that the Nintendo/EA falling out (unprecedented partnership to shithouse contractural obligation games) was because of this.

Time will tell. I think Microsoft may just be biding its time right now until they're able to show Scorpio as well as games they've potentially kept under wraps. Nintendo had a similar dry year or two on 3DS and Wii U leading up to the Switch.

That said, they really have mismanaged the brand this generation compared to the Xbox and Xbox 360 years. Everything from hardware to 1st party software has been a major misstep for them. They should never have put out a weaker box than Sony with Kinect at a higher price tag. They've never been able to recover from there.

Had they not done that, I think they'd have a lot more bargaining power to try and get third party exclusives to pick up the slack of their first parties like in previous gens. Maybe that's their hope with Scorpio, but only time will tell.

D.Lo

Tempted to just buy a lot of genesis games.
I collect Japanese Mega Drive and I think I'm done, they've gone out of control price wise.

That said, they really have mismanaged the brand this generation compared to the Xbox and Xbox 360 years. Everything from hardware to 1st party software has been a major misstep for them. They should never have put out a weaker box than Sony with Kinect at a higher price tag. They've never been able to recover from there.
Hubris again. They sort of won the US last gen (Wii won easily for the first four years but died in year 5, while Kinect was taking off), and so they thought they had the political capital to get their userbase over to their new 'all in one HTPC-like entertainment centre' vision. Kinect for the casuals, Intel box for the PC devs to have what they wanted, and the no used games thing was a gentleman's handshake with EA/Activision/Sony/MS etc. But then all Sony had to do to outmanoeuvre them was release a slightly more powerful intel PC in a box with no expensive controller, and ditch the used games thing, and the generation was won right there.

I collect Japanese Mega Drive and I think I'm done, they've gone out of control price wise.

Hubris again. They sort of won the US last gen (Wii won easily for the first four years but died in year 5, while Kinect was taking off), and so they thought they had the political capital to get their userbase over to their new 'all in one HTPC-like entertainment centre' vision. Kinect for the casuals, Intel box for the PC devs to have what they wanted, and the no used games thing was a gentleman's handshake with EA/Activision/Sony/MS etc. But then all Sony had to do to outmanoeuvre them was release a slightly more powerful intel PC in a box with no expensive controller, and ditch the used games thing, and the generation was won right there.

US genesis stuff seems pretty reasonable still. Excluding a select handful, they haven't crazily appreciated from a couple years ago.

How do you guys decide to tackle stuff you want to collect? Most expensive first? Least expensive first so for the same amount you can cross off 5 or 6 games compared to a rare game? I always went for cheap but the way some appreciate maybe that's the stupid idea.

IrishNinja

yeah my remaining geensis list ranges from kinda pricey (Caliber 50, Growl, Hellfire) to man i'll just grab it for a tenner one day (Flicky, The Tick, Micro Machines)

i don't know where Burning Force goes between those 2 categories

D.Lo

US genesis stuff seems pretty reasonable still. Excluding a select handful, they haven't crazily appreciated from a couple years ago.

How do you guys decide to tackle stuff you want to collect? Most expensive first? Least expensive first so for the same amount you can cross off 5 or 6 games compared to a rare game? I always went for cheap but the way some appreciate maybe that's the stupid idea.
Always in flux. It's a balance between space, funds, and effort. So for Saturn, is it worth having Battle Garegga or Silvergun instead of Layer Section+Gunbird+Strikers+Strikers 2+Donpachi, which could be had together for the same price? Maybe, because it takes up less space and increases the concentration of quality in my set. But Maybe not, because the others are still good, but create breadth in the collection.

It's also price vs value to me. I sell expensive games sometimes because they just don't have the value they can be sold for to me. I sold my mint complete Chrono Trigger for AU$500 a few years ago. So much more I can do in life with $500 than have a game on a shelf that I play once every ten years. Instead I can have something of more historical significance, like a sixer woody VCS and every iconic Atari game. Or an SG1000, etc.

yeah my remaining geensis list ranges from kinda pricey (Caliber 50, Growl, Hellfire) to man i'll just grab it for a tenner one day (Flicky, The Tick, Micro Machines)

i don't know where Burning Force goes between those 2 categories

oh! genesis had Caliber 50? that was a cool game in the arcade =)

Always in flux. It's a balance between space, funds, and effort. So for Saturn, is it worth having Battle Garegga or Silvergun instead of Layer Section+Gunbird+Strikers+Strikers 2+Donpachi, which could be had together for the same price? Maybe, because it takes up less space and increases the concentration of quality in my set. But Maybe not, because the others are still good, but create breadth in the collection.

It's also price vs value to me. I sell expensive games sometimes because they just don't have the value they can be sold for to me. I sold my mint complete Chrono Trigger for AU$500 a few years ago. So much more I can do in life with $500 than have a game on a shelf that I play once every ten years. Instead I can have something of more historical significance, like a sixer woody VCS and every iconic Atari game. Or an SG1000, etc.

Space is a good point but I own so much stuff that it seems silly to complain about space even though it gets more cramped. I don't buy anything I don't want so it's hard with one versus the other because I honestly want all of them. I do feel like theirs limits and tempted to sell some of the pricier things like you said but money has been ok for me so while I could find a way to spend it, I don't need that money in any real way. I bounce back and for though, usually try to go for value but then I'll splurge on something I really want but it will be random after passing it over a lot due to price... Just curious how other people approach it.

I made a list of every Genesis game I wanted. Funds and availability always play a role in what I grab. I don't collect loose carts, so that makes it much more pricey. I don't need CIB, but I want the box. If I see a somewhat pricey game at a great price, I'll somehow make it happen.
I have 187 Genesis games right now and these are the remaining games I want...

Batman Revenge of Joker
Battle Squadron
Battletoads & Dragon
Blaster Master 2
Desert Demolition
Dinosaurs for Hire
Dragons Fury
Dragons Revenge
Dynamite Duke
Echo Jr
Fire Shark
Gargoyles
Ghostbusters
Granada
Grind Stormer
Klax
Mega Bomberman
Mickey Mania
Mutant league Hockey
Out of this World
Pac Attack
The Punisher
Red Zone
Risky Woods
Ristar
Road Blasters
Rock & Roll Racing
Shining Force 2
Splatterhouse 2
Super Hang On
Truxton
Vapor Trail
Whip Rush

Some are expensive, some are not. Some of these games I have on the Genesis Collection like Ristar, so I might pass on that one. I could probably thin this list a little, but I'd like to finish off some collections in the collection. Like, Echo Jr and Return of the Joker. Whatever you do, do it soon lol

Top Bottom