• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Huh,

Wii looks like garbage on an HDTV. It really only shines with Component and on a frammeister or a CRT.

In a pinch, a super small HDTV will work.

My new Samsung TV scales 480p really nicely and I'm pretty happy with how Wii games look on it. I actually think it looks better than what I got out of the Framemeister; the 480p handling there wasn't amazing.

Apparently the scaler in your HDTV makes a pretty big difference on sub-native quality.

If thwy want to play their system to its full potential then yes, you tell them to spend 150$ on an ossc instead of complaining about not beeing able to secure a limited emulation box

I paid $270 for my OSSC, that includes the audio board, installed, and shipping. That's £216.15.

I'm not going to be such a dick to my friends though. Thanks for the weird advice.

Peltz

My new Samsung TV scales 480p really nicely and I'm pretty happy with how Wii games look on it. I actually think it looks better than what I got out of the Framemeister; the 480p handling there wasn't amazing.

Apparently the scaler in your HDTV makes a pretty big difference on sub-native quality.

Same here. Wii VC in 480p via component looks pretty good on my HDTV.... better than Framemeister.

I guess not everyone feels that way.

being over peltz's place the past weekend, i got a chance to see the framemeister in person up and close. I asked Peltz to A and B the some games from the PVM CRT to HDTV.

i gotta say that i was really disappointed and don't want a framemeister anymore =/ there's really no match.

being over peltz's place the past weekend, i got a chance to see the framemeister in person up and close. I asked Peltz to A and B the some games from the PVM CRT to HDTV.

i gotta say that i was really disappointed and don't want a framemeister anymore =/ there's really no match.

CRT is bae

Tain

I actually haven't seen a framemeister in person but from seeing photos, footage, and thinking it over a bunch I never saw how it could be a better route for me than a CRT.

Gonna suck when CRTs die out (barring some boutique manufacturers popping up?), but as I've said before I'll probably just stick with VRR emulation at that point.

D.Lo

I love my Famicom mini (and NES mini) super kawaii devices, and really well done all round. But it's a collector piece, it's not like it's ever going to be a go-to to play Fami/NES. And it was clearly a stop-gap to bridge the dead space between the dead Wii U and the Switch.

I think people are probably pissed because it was such an easy piracy box. They could either re-do the system making it much harder to hack (ongoing resources required) or it becomes a liability against the Switch Virtual console. Seems like a no-brainer to discontinue to me.

That said, Nintendo did screw up by not having 2-3 million for Christmas. I swear they could have had the #1 selling console last holiday, and it would have been hilarious that the NES won Christmas 2016.

They did fine by manufacturing limited quantities of an emulation box with a production cost of maybe 5 bucks for 60 with a guaranteed sale/return for every unit produced.

I'm sure there will be another piece of shit toy/emulation box Nintendo plans to release next year, too, between all the toy models and other crap they have planned in the mean time.

Nintendo could release an adapter to use your Virtual Boy controller on your Switch, that needs to be fed in controller port 4 of your GameCube, then out port 1 to a USB adapter and it would sell out.

Yes Boss!

It really is no comparison going between as good CRT with decent connections and especially a PVM and a frammeister. That has always been very clear.

Where it excels is presenting those systems via RGB on a significantly massive screen not available in tube.

My biggest CRT is 32" and I can still get a bigger image on my HDTVs.

Plus, original systems via frammeister put out a better image then even M2's ports on 360/PS3. I put in Capcom Arcade last night after a few years and was surprised how poor the scanline look was.

To me it has never been either one or the other. Simply different tools for different occasions.

Yes Boss!

Same here, I use both a PVM and Framemeister interchangeably.

And there are certain things you can do with the upscaler that blow anything available with CRT out of the water. Try hooking up a Saturn or a PS2 to a tate 60" HDTV via RGB and what you get will blow your mind...especially from a 240p source. Arika Espgaluda presented like that. Holy shit.

Here is my current makeshift setup. My big lovable JVC still has a smaller 4:3 image than what I can get on the HDTV. Plus, part of the hobby is also being able to get that clean image out of the system and into a digital pipeline. Sometimes I dig that crisp look. Sometimes I want the softness of a CRT. But one thing is clear, even the larger PVMs are tiny tiny tiny.

BF77AEF3-08E1-4628-B317-97397242B1DB.jpg

I didn't really have the space for the size CRT I wanted. Our room is more rectangular, then square and a trinitron wouldn't really fit. I'm happy with the Framemeister, but the delay in resolution switching really sucks. Killer instinct Gold is down right unplayable. That and no light gun games.

Timu

I didn't really have the space for the size CRT I wanted. Our room is more rectangular, then square and a trinitron wouldn't really fit. I'm happy with the Framemeister, but the delay in resolution switching really sucks. Killer instinct Gold is down right unplayable. That and no light gun games.
That's why I got Rare Replay since it makes recording easier to due, the 240p/480i switching in that game is annoying.

D.Lo

And there are certain things you can do with the upscaler that blow anything available with CRT out of the water. Try hooking up a Saturn or a PS2 to a tate 60" HDTV via RGB and what you get will blow your mind...especially from a 240p source. Arika Espgaluda presented like that. Holy shit.

Here is my current makeshift setup. My big lovable JVC still has a smaller 4:3 image than what I can get on the HDTV. Plus, part of the hobby is also being able to get that clean image out of the system and into a digital pipeline. Sometimes I dig that crisp look. Sometimes I want the softness of a CRT. But one thing is clear, even the larger PVMs are tiny tiny tiny.

Callie, Marie, what looks like Darius (?) ships... checks out.

CRT is bae
yea!
I actually haven't seen a framemeister in person but from seeing photos, footage, and thinking it over a bunch I never saw how it could be a better route for me than a CRT. Gonna suck when CRTs die out (barring some boutique manufacturers popping up?), but as I've said before I'll probably just stick with VRR emulation at that point.
CRT is king =)

It really is no comparison going between as good CRT with decent connections and especially a PVM and a frammeister. That has always been very clear.

Where it excels is presenting those systems via RGB on a significantly massive screen not available in tube.

My biggest CRT is 32" and I can still get a bigger image on my HDTVs.

Plus, original systems via frammeister put out a better image then even M2's ports on 360/PS3. I put in Capcom Arcade last night after a few years and was surprised how poor the scanline look was.

To me it has never been either one or the other. Simply different tools for different occasions.
since i never seen it up till the past week, i kept getting impressions by reading posts it's equal or better than CRT... but perhaps i'm misreading the posts and misunderstood. not saying everyone is saying that but thought there was a side that felt that way... anyways, i'm not taking a dump on it either, just first impressions from mis-hype.

i like Shin Johnpv's tate setup.

Do people get annoyed by the pickup posts?

I just got aladdin for genesis today but I don't want to keep posting if people are tired of them.
keep posting em. stop being paranoid about fakes and buy some more games =P jk

just got back from dinner and grabbed a few titles and put them with some grabs on monday and tuesday: found another famicom converter in a 5 dollar gyromite so i picked it up with Castle Shikigami 2 and suikoden tactics. i got x-men2 cib (20 bucks) on amazon warehouse and suikoden 4 cib (16 shipped) from ebay. breathe of fire ps2 was part of a buy 2 get 1 free, cib shining in the darkness and pilot wings cib($20) were monday/tuesday dinner grabs =)

yea!
CRT is king =)

since i never seen it up till the past week, i kept getting impressions by reading posts it's equal or better than CRT... but perhaps i'm misreading the posts and misunderstood. not saying everyone is saying that but thought there was a side that felt that way... anyways, i'm not taking a dump on it either, just first impressions from mis-hype.

i like Shin Johnpv's tate setup.

keep posting em. stop being paranoid about fakes and buy some more games =)

just got back from dinner and grabbed a few titles and put them with some grabs on monday and tuesday: found another famicom converter in a 5 dollar gyromite so i picked it up with Castle Shikigami 2 and suikoden tactics. i got x-men2 cib (20 bucks) on amazon warehouse and suikoden 4 cib (16 shipped) from ebay. breathe of fire ps2 was part of a buy 2 get 1 free, cib shining in the darkness and pilot wings cib($20) were monday/tuesday dinner grabs =)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I can finally like you again after picking up clone wars. :p

I really love that game, hope you enjoy it!

I'm not really worried about fakes for anything else, I got the screwdriver bit when I went to digital press the other week so I just open them just in case but I've mostly been looking at cheaper games so I doubt they would be faked anyhow. More worrisome when I get breath of fire and such

And Aladdin came! Not sure if I played this before... Feel like I rented it at some point but not sure anymore. I heard it's pretty good though.

Yes Boss!

Callie, Marie, what looks like Darius (?) ships... checks out.

Yeah...those came with the physical release box set of DariusBurst PS4 that came out two weeks ago. 😊 The forthcoming Limited Run Games box is the same thing as was just released in Japan but comes with the red and blue. Blech, I'll never touch anything from Limited Run. But their set comes with the two original colors.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS I can finally like you again after picking up clone wars. :p

I really love that game, hope you enjoy it!

I'm not really worried about fakes for anything else, I got the screwdriver bit when I went to digital press the other week so I just open them just in case but I've mostly been looking at cheaper games so I doubt they would be faked anyhow. More worrisome when I get breath of fire and such

And Aladdin came! Not sure if I played this before... Feel like I rented it at some point but not sure anymore. I heard it's pretty good though.
nice grab! i actually was trying to get genesis aladdin but someone beat me to it a few weeks ago. i kept hearing about xmen 2 from blast processed so i wanted to get it a while ago without getting ripped off.
oh, just kidding about the fakes, if it's high priced i'll take extra precaution.
but with 18 and under games, i won't be too worried. i think i had the same worries and asked a lot of questions but the guys on here talked sense that no one wants to fake cheap games so no point in worrying =)

nice grab! i actually was trying to get genesis aladdin but someone beat me to it a few weeks ago. i kept hearing about xmen 2 from blast processed so i wanted to get it a while ago without getting ripped off.
oh, just kidding about the fakes, if it's high priced i'll take extra precaution.
but with 18 and under games, i won't be too worried. no one wants to fake those games so there's no point in worrying.

Yeah, F-Zero being sealed and me knowing nothing about resealed stuff is the only thing I was hesitant on, the rest seemed legit from the looks. :p And yeah, I didn't care once I started looking at stuff <$30, no one is wasting the effort to fake those.

Are the wonder boy games any good? I was looking at those for genesis but I just saw one is coming out for switch next week.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome pickup once again David, and Zarachi, I like the Snes version of Aladdin better, but the genesis-game is pretty good too. And yeah, Wonderboy is awesome!

About the framemeister. I really, really love it. First of all, i dont really have the space to keep a crt around. Second, I really love the sharp, pixel-look you can get on it, especially when you blow it up on a huge screen. This is especially awesome for stuff like gba-games who were never meant to be played that way. And thirdly, i really like all the various options you have with it.

There are two flaws with the machine though, first the sync-loss when changing resolution (as we all know about). and second, it does produce some noise, especially with 50hz sources, and being in pal-land myself, this is not ideal - even though i try to play as much as possible in 60hz. Still, I am all in all extremely happy with it and would recommend it for anybody who doesnt want to have a crt, or want to play their retro-games on a big screen. Keep in mind i got mine before the OSSC was released, so i cant compare it to that.

Yeah, F-Zero being sealed and me knowing nothing about resealed stuff is the only thing I was hesitant on, the rest seemed legit from the looks. :p

Are the wonder boy games any good? I was looking at those for genesis but I just saw one is coming out for switch next week.

i played wonderboy in monsterland and it was great. and i keep looking for monster world. i'll get it on the switch =) maybe try out one of the older titles and see if you like it.

Yeah...those came with the physical release box set of DariusBurst PS4 that came out two weeks ago. &#65533;&#65533; The forthcoming Limited Run Games box is the same thing as was just released in Japan but comes with the red and blue. Blech, I'll never touch anything from Limited Run. But their set comes with the two original colors.
i saw that on shooter GAF and i think everyone was jelly =)

Awesome pickup once again David, and Zarachi, I like the Snes version of Aladdin better, but the genesis-game is pretty good too. And yeah, Wonderboy is awesome!

About the framemeister. I really, really love it. First of all, i dont really have the space to keep a crt around. Second, I really love the sharp, pixel-look you can get on it, especially when you blow it up on a huge screen. This is especially awesome for stuff like gba-games who were never meant to be played that way. And thirdly, i really like all the various options you have with it.

There are two flaws with the machine though, first the sync-loss when changing resolution (as we all know about). and second, it does produce some noise, especially with 50hz sources, and being in pal-land myself, this is not ideal - even though i try to play as much as possible in 60hz. Still, I am all in all extremely happy with it and would recommend it for anybody who doesnt want to have a crt, or want to play their retro-games on a big screen. Keep in mind i got mine before the OSSC was released, so i cant compare it to that.
thanks Mofeo!

i'm still curious about seeing the OSSC in person.

I actually have four working (pro) CRTs that I use, and one working pro CRT that I don't use at the moment. I've also owned 32" CRTs (the bigger the CRT, the more the geometry issues, because of the earth's magnetic field, and that's an issue that shouldn't be ignored).

Looking forward to getting an OLED in the next couple of months or so and trying it with the OSSC. I'll still keep at least two CRTs FWIW.

I actually keep my eye out for Sony G90 CRT projectors though I'm starting to wane on my thoughts of having dedicated CRT front projection room.

Nice setup Boss!

I grabbed Kamiko for the switch today. It's a really fun NES throwback. The music and the...translation are straight out of the 8 bit era. For 500yen ( it's in english) I highly recommend it!

Morfeo

thanks Mofeo!

i'm still curious about seeing the OSSC in person.

Yeah, I kinda want to get an OSSC myself just to see the difference, but i feel i would miss the options of the Framemeister. Maybe I'll get one closer to christmas - but first i need a Switch!

Morfeo

Monster Lair is the secret great Wonder Boy game. PCE/TG-16 version and not the muffled and muted MD version!

We played the Mega Drive-version in the game club a few months ago. I beat it, and found it pretty mediocre yeah. So you suggest i should pick up the PCE-version?

Yes Boss!

We played the Mega Drive-version in the game club a few months ago. I beat it, and found it pretty mediocre yeah. So you suggest i should pick up the PCE-version?

Nah, same game play wise. PCE version just has kick-ass score. Game always makes me happy happy. I place it right up there with Blue's Journey. Games that please me immensly even though few care about them. The MD version is just a janky port.

Morfeo

Nah, same game play wise. PCE version just has kick-ass score. Game always makes me happy happy. I place it right up there with Blue's Journey. Games that please me immensly even though few care about them. The MD version is just a janky port.

I see, thanks anyways. Probably sticking with my MD-version then, since i didnt like it that much. Really love Wonderboy 2, 3 and the other Mega Drive-game though!

Yes Boss!

Been in a Wonder Boy mood recently since the upcoming Switch game is coming and I have been playing Saiyuuki World. I had not heard of it until last week and it is pretty wild for a port of Wonder Boy. So different but everything has been changed graphically...more so then is customary for the series.

Fularu

Banned
Been in a Wonder Boy mood recently since the upcoming Switch game is coming and I have been playing Saiyuuki World. I had not heard of it until last week and it is pretty wild for a port of Wonder Boy. So different but everything has been changed graphically...more so then is customary for the series.

Yeah it's a manga adaptation. So you have characters from the manga replacing the main character and all the monsters/npcs he interacts with.

But I believe the brazilian version takes the crown (on SMS).

for genesis' is monster world = to monster lair for tg-16? good thing that i didn't buy it yet. i was planning on getting a pc engine duo r in the future.

Yes Boss!

for genesis' is monster world = to monster lair for tg-16? good thing that i didn't buy it yet. i was planning on getting a pc engine duo r in the future.

Monster Lair is Wonder Boy III and the the run and gun slash shooter title in the series. PCE port is more accurate to the arcade. Sprites in the MD lost their charm and the sound...the sound is just dreadful. They do give you a little parallax in the MD but not worth it.

This one:

C2F2B3E1-6118-486F-92C2-0CB79B4997E0.jpg

C45C4571-AB9E-4703-B006-D0EFC47E5DA3.jpg

As mentioned above don't forget about the Monster World collection on XBLA...which also in fully backwards compatible with XBOX One. This is the M2 release with all of the good games.

2994031F-E696-4FDA-8C37-220242B646D7.jpg

84DB6590-E1A9-4222-B9FD-AAB8FA248642.jpg

The Sega 2000 disc for PS2 is also amazing. (Also available on J-PSN for PS3)

Galdelico

Glad to see I'm not alone on that. I revisited Capcom Arcade Cabinet and the Neo Geo Station, recently, and I immediately noticed the same thing. Even though they are nowhere near true analogue goodness, OSSC's scanlines (even in LineX3) look way better and more 'genuine'.

And damn, Dave, the time lapse between you mentioning to want to gat a game, and the moment when you actually get it, is approaching to zero. Wasn't it you saying you needed to get X-Men 2, only a few posts above, and bam. Here it is on your table. :D
Quite jelly too, as it's one of those titles that's become quite hard to purchase from Europe, now, without getting ripped off with astronomical shipping costs and customs fee.

Monster Lair is Wonder Boy III and the the run and gun slash shooter title in the series. PCE port is more accurate to the arcade. Sprites in the MD lost their charm and the sound...the sound is just dreadful. They do give you a little parallax in the MD but not worth it.

This one:

As mentioned above don't forget about the Monster World collection on XBLA...which also in fully backwards compatible with XBOX One. This is the M2 release with all of the good games.

The Sega 2000 disc for PS2 is also amazing. (Also available on J-PSN for PS3)
wow, thanks for this. i sold my 360 long ago... maybe if scorpio is a good price point, i can jump back on XBLA,
i think sixteen bit mentioned sega classics on jyp ps2. i was recently doing a local transaction for a jyp system but the disc drive was dead which killed the deal.
Glad to see I'm not alone on that. I revisited Capcom Arcade Cabinet and the Neo Geo Station, recently, and I immediately noticed the same thing. Even though they are nowhere near true analogue goodness, OSSC's scanlines (even in LineX3) look way better and more 'genuine'.

And damn, Dave, the time lapse between you mentioning to want to gat a game, and the moment when you actually get it, is approaching to zero. Wasn't it you saying you needed to get X-Men 2, only a few posts above, and bam. Here it is on your table. :D
Quite jelly too, as it's one of those titles that's become quite hard to purchase from Europe, now, without getting ripped off with astronomical shipping costs and customs fee.
thanks! i hear about custom fees all the time from my other hobby Macross =/ they always request retailers to under declare or mark as a gift.

Peltz

My Framemeister pretty much sits in a cupboard and I haven't used it much since I stick to my PVM. When OLED comes down in price though, I plan to mount my current 60" HDTV in my bedroom, and maybe move the Framemeister in there in case I want to play some old school systems in bed every now and then.

But I'm still not certain if it's worth it considering my PVM is on wheels and my apartment is a one-bedroom with mostly hardwood floors making it easy to roll anywhere.

If I ever move out of the city to a place with more room though, I'd probably use my framemeister for an HD projector setup. That's like, the ultimate use for the device in my opinion.

Galdelico

thanks! i hear about custom fees all the time from my other hobby Macross =/ they always request retailers to under declare or mark as a gift.
I do it as well, to be honest. ^^;

Point is, I very rarely buy from eBay in the wild, now (I go straight to a few private sellers I know since years, and that I'm sure to get fair prices from, so I don't really have to ask them for anything). But when I do, I make sure I can get at least 'gift' registered airmail, before I purchase.

I mean, I'd never go buy a new retail product online from the US and ask for a false declaration, or expect to not pay customs, but with private collectors/people selling retrogame on eBay, and shipping through Global Shipping Program only... I don't know, fair enough if they want to discourage overseas buyers, but under certain circumstances - when I see stuff I'm particularly interested in - I'm not afraid to ask.

I do it as well, to be honest. ^^;

Point is, I very rarely buy from eBay in the wild, now (I go straight to a few private sellers I know since years, and that I'm sure to get fair prices from, so I don't really have to ask them for anything). But when I do, I make sure I can get at least 'gift' registered airmail, before I purchase.

I mean, I'd never go buy a new retail product online from the US and ask for a false declaration, or expect to not pay customs, but with private collectors/people selling retrogame on eBay, and shipping through Global Shipping Program only... I don't know, fair enough if they want to discourage overseas buyers, but under certain circumstances - when I see stuff I'm particularly interested in - I'm not afraid to ask.
for macross, retailers we buy from offer to declare as gift =) bc the hobby is expensive as hell.

As mentioned above don't forget about the Monster World collection on XBLA...
Speaking of Xbox live, i found some cards that i brought long time ago that's been gathering dust, a card i gave to blast processed from this pile he confirmed works, let me pm you=)

Not to repost my own image again but this so much

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

That's not really possible with a CRT of that size.

To add to some conversations since I'm just catching up and don't want to have multiple posts.

For me I just don't have the room for a CRT. If I was in a bigger house I owned I'd probably have a finished basement and most of my game stuff down there with a CRT. I still have my Sony Vega 27inch with component in that is a damn nice picture. It lives in the basement though. I need to be able to have a living room that doesn't drive the girlfriend crazy and one that I can get the gaming fix in. For me the framemeister facilitates that really nicely, plus it makes it super easy to get RGB into the tv from these consoles. Plus I have to be honest, I am NOT a scanline fan. I personally prefer the razor sharp chunky pixels to the scanline crt look. I have thought about getting a smaller PVM, but they're hard to come by in my area and stupidly expensive. There's a dude right now my friend and I were talking to with one of the 14 inch Sony PVMs that wants at least 200 for it, but won't tell us how many hours it's got or send us a picture of it actually displaying a picture or a checkerboard to check the geometry. Like fuck that noise.

Also Aladdin is really fucking good, I think I remember liking the genesis one more, but either way its a great fucking game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Big screens are pretty awesome for old games. Getting the OSSC and playing Vampire Savior last year was just fucking incredible.

Plus I have to be honest, I am NOT a scanline fan. I personally prefer the razor sharp chunky pixels to the scanline crt look.

I'm all about the triads personally but I'm setting for scanlines in the meantime.

4ilI9Pf.png

Several years from now I hope to see OSSC/Framemeister type devices that offer a variety of different effects, not just scanlines. 4K provides for this easily.

Peltz

Not to repost my own image again but this so much

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

That's not really possible with a CRT of that size.

To add to some conversations since I'm just catching up and don't want to have multiple posts.

For me I just don't have the room for a CRT. If I was in a bigger house I owned I'd probably have a finished basement and most of my game stuff down there with a CRT. I still have my Sony Vega 27inch with component in that is a damn nice picture. It lives in the basement though. I need to be able to have a living room that doesn't drive the girlfriend crazy and one that I can get the gaming fix in. For me the framemeister facilitates that really nicely, plus it makes it super easy to get RGB into the tv from these consoles. Plus I have to be honest, I am NOT a scanline fan. I personally prefer the razor sharp chunky pixels to the scanline crt look. I have thought about getting a smaller PVM, but they're hard to come by in my area and stupidly expensive. There's a dude right now my friend and I were talking to with one of the 14 inch Sony PVMs that wants at least 200 for it, but won't tell us how many hours it's got or send us a picture of it actually displaying a picture or a checkerboard to check the geometry. Like fuck that noise.

That explosion looks way too pixelated for my tastes. But I do think that's a mad cool way of playing a shmup.

Top Bottom