• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Laws00

Need your help guys.

I have a toaster nes and model 2 nes top loader

This model 2 does not have the av ports sadly

I would like to know did Nintendo ever make composite cables for the model 2? I'd like not not use a RF cable anymore for this thing. I'm having a hard time finding them (I'm at work ATM)

And yes I'm aware the clarity isn't as great on the model 2

Need your help guys.

I have a toaster nes and model 2 nes top loader

This model 2 does not have the av ports sadly

I would like to know did Nintendo ever make composite cables for the model 2? I'd like not not use a RF cable anymore for this thing. I'm having a hard time finding them (I'm at work ATM)

And yes I'm aware the clarity isn't as great on the model 2

Sorry, top loaders have to have a mod installed to use composite or svid.

Yes Boss!

That's not really possible with a CRT of that size.

This is as big as I go for tate on a CRT...even then, only because it is a cube so very convenient. Any more then 29" and it becomes more trouble then it is worth. Meanwhile, I always have a few large extra HDTVs for quick easy gaming setups.

E874ACDB-D068-4FC3-9BA1-018106902357.jpg

Peltz

This is as big as I go for tate on a CRT...even then, only because it is a cube so very convenient. Any more then 29" and it becomes more trouble then it is worth. Meanwhile, I always have a few large extra HDTVs for quick easy gaming setups.

Woah. Looks amazing. I need to get me one of those.

Yes Boss!

Woah. Looks amazing. I need to get me one of those.

PGM here...so my 31khz only and good for my VGA content like Cave shmups on 360 and hi-rez arcade content. Still dedicated to that format so a better image then my tri-syncs in my cabs. I do believe they make that firm-factor and size in 15khz.

I think I have been set on broadcast monitors since a few years...a bit of each. Two itentical PGMs for 360 shooters, a multi-format PVM as my workhorse, and two smaller 13" models for little fun setup. The 13" models really are too small for other then shits and giggles.

First sorry for the multiple posts on my phone. That is crazy awesome! I uses to keep a second setup with a 19 inch cut on its side but that dwarfs that. How heavy is that?

Galdelico

Not using any zoom on my TV but I do typically use 5x profiles on my framemesiter so some pixels get cut off.
Which version are you playing?
I can only speak about the Saturn port, but yeah, if you press Start once you're in game, you can access additional screen settings - such as a pretty versatile zoom selector - compared to what you can fiddle around with in the regular options menu.

Monster Lair is Wonder Boy III and the the run and gun slash shooter title in the series. PCE port is more accurate to the arcade. Sprites in the MD lost their charm and the sound...the sound is just dreadful. They do give you a little parallax in the MD but not worth it.

This one:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/C2F2B3E1-6118-486F-92C2-0CB79B4997E0.jpg[/IMG]
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/C45C4571-AB9E-4703-B006-D0EFC47E5DA3.jpg[/IMG]

As mentioned above don't forget about the Monster World collection on XBLA...which also in fully backwards compatible with XBOX One. This is the M2 release with all of the good games.

G]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/2994031F-E696-4FDA-8C37-220242B646D7.jpg[/IMG]

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/84DB6590-E1A9-4222-B9FD-AAB8FA248642.jpg[/IMG]

The Sega 2000 disc for PS2 is also amazing. (Also available on J-PSN for PS3)

Forgot that stuff was on XBLA, does any of that work on XBONE?

This arrived today, never actually played this game but hoping it's fun!

Laws00

My saturn came in today!!

Got to wash up, go to mcdonalds, play some games us/jp to see if its infact modded

and then GO BURN SOME GAMES!!

Laws00

congrats guys on the pickups! i need a saturn at some point.

Thank you thank you.

I've waited 2 and half months for this thing to get here.

Like I said with Russia and USA stuff going on wasnt sure if something might happen.

The box was wrapped in a pampers box and i was reading it saying to myself, i dont see any Russian on this thing and then ops pants was in as well as some other things i didnt notice lol

Laws00

I got to wait for someone to get out of the bathroom

I'm always intrigued by other languages other then Spanish cause i've taken it since middle school

I can finally put my USA Sega Saturn into a retirement home. It an't staying in that box

Lurch666

Sorry this might be a bit too retro but I just got one of my grails.

A Nascom 2.

s-l1600.jpg

Untested but I've fixed computers before so I'm hoping I can get this one working.

I don't have a Dreamcast (never played one). Don't have a turbo 16 (never played one) Don't have a Master System and sure as hell don't have a NEO GEO. Out of all of these, I would like to dive into the Master System library. Out of all of my consoles, I think my least favorite is the
NES. It has great games, but overall it just doesn't do it for me.

I don't have a Dreamcast (never played one). Don't have a turbo 16 (never played one) Don't have a Master System and sure as hell don't have a NEO GEO. Out of all of these, I would like to dive into the Master System library. Out of all of my consoles, I think my least favorite is the
Dreamcasts are so cheap...

Laws00

I've never had a turbo/pc engine till recently

My friend who visits his family in Puerto Rico had family that had a turbo. His uncle introduced him to the stuff. When he finally got one of his own he gave him some games when he came back to the states and thats how i played it.

I honestly could not tell you anything about the games other then BONK.

I don't have a sega master system but it seems the least interesting to me game wise. I'd like one but it would have to have the box. The flea market near me has a game store with one selling without the 3D shade and the box for under $80.00 and its been there for like 1 year and no one has gotten it everytime i've been there.

Yes Boss!

First sorry for the multiple posts on my phone. That is crazy awesome! I uses to keep a second setup with a 19 inch cut on its side but that dwarfs that. How heavy is that?

I have no idea. Maybe 150-200lbs.

I know I have moved it by myself quite a few times. But then, I can carry something 100 lbs no problem.

Hope you don't mind not having a retirement with the price of saturn games.

Yes...it plays perfectly on XBOX One. Is part of the BC list.

Fularu

Banned
I got to wait for someone to get out of the bathroom

I'm always intrigued by other languages other then Spanish cause i've taken it since middle school

I can finally put my USA Sega Saturn into a retirement home. It an't staying in that box

(asking again)

Where did you get such a pristine Saturn? My V-Saturn is getting old and I'd like to have a second one "just in case"

Laws00

Spent 3 hours burning games to test.

Good and bad

The good.

It works first game I burned was x-men vs street fighter. My 4 in 1 didn't show up but I got messenge saying I didn't have 4mb of ram. Messed with the cart and it worked

Burning rangers
Street fighter zero 3
Magic knight rayearth

The bad.

Apparently my CD burner can not burn at anything slower then 16x.

Might need to go on my old netbook and see if it'll burn properly.

I tried to burn marvel super heroes vs street fighter didn't work. Tried to burn shining force 3 and vampire savior. Got errors on them. They autostarted as music cds though

Got to test to see if bug too will work.

All in all I'm happy

IrishNinja

so a longtime friend is sadly moving away & called me up to pick up her OG xbox & some games this weekend! kinda hyped, i never had one of my own & my roommate's one died. i need to look into softmodding now, meant to play that fan translation of Rent-A-Hero!

of course my phatty PS2 won't play games anymore, last unit won't even power on...wish i was competent enough to frankenstein a working unit from these, haha

D.Lo

Out of all of my consoles, I think my least favorite is the
Get out
;) I have ~50 consoles (depending on the definition, eg handhelds and single game machines like Breakout included) and Fami is my favourite

Yes Boss!

Man,

I started with the 2600 (gross) and did every single system through the present. NES/Fami is bar none my least favorite of them all. Never understood the appeal even though it was my formative system. Far more interested in the SMS these days. NES is just dated. I find it hard to understand how folks even have fondness for that system these days. Only marginally better than the 2600 if you take into account the dozen decent games. I don't understand it,

(Those NA carts are just nasty)

Rydeen

Man,

I started with the 2600 (gross) and did every single system through the present. NES/Fami is bar none my least favorite of them all. Never understood the appeal even though it was my formative system. Far more interested in the SMS these days. NES is just dated. I find it hard to understand how folks even have fondness for that system these days. Only marginally better than the 2600 if you take into account the dozen decent games. I don't understand it,

That's some low-quality bait right there, and in the Retro thread, of all threads.

I really like the NES, but I think it is also way over-hyped by retro enthusiasts and especailly the "preservation" crowd.

Least favorite Nintendo system is the N64. I'm trying to give the system another shot, though. Favorite is always going to be the Gameboy Color; such a briefly lived but wonderful platform.

Outside of that, of the systems I have until recently my original Xbox easily got the least love. I gave it another shot and like it. So maybe now the Saturn? There's good stuff there but it's pretty thin in my kind of genre. I should really play Shining Force 3...

IrishNinja

....nahhh

my older brother was atari gen, and i dug what i got to play back then - but goddamn if 8-bit wasn't magical. y'all know i had an SMS & adored it, but i'd straight up borrow/rent just to play stuff like zelda, castlevania, maniac mansion, etc - these were literally all-new experiences for me, and i was floored by them. i'll never forget how much the 16-bit gen improved on them, but simple shit like backtracking in metroid felt amazing. arcade ports were mostly terrible all around but the variety we got out of the NES' library was ground-breaking at the time, and worlds ahead of what i played on the 2600 or even the 400.

I really like the NES, but I think it is also way over-hyped by retro enthusiasts and especailly the "preservation" crowd.

Least favorite Nintendo system is the N64. I'm trying to give the system another shot, though. Favorite is always going to be the Gameboy Color; such a briefly lived but wonderful platform.

Outside of that, of the systems I have until recently my original Xbox easily got the least love. I gave it another shot and like it. So maybe now the Saturn? There's good stuff there but it's pretty thin in my kind of genre. I should really play Shining Force 3...

you really should. saturn's a haven for working designs J/strat RPG's and fantastic arcade ports, amongst other stuff.

i agree with N64 as the least of their offerings, but an everdrive for that system reminded me of some of the strengths: Rare firing on all cylinders, fun wrestling games (with friends at least), sin & punishment, first party stuff and i know i said rare but damn is blast corps fun, robotron 64 too

D.Lo

Man,

Are you trolling? Slightly better than 2600? IMO the leap from VCS/Intellivision to Famicom is the biggest ever in the history of gaming. It's also the system that saw the most improvement in graphics over its lifetime. Donkey Kong to Batman Return of the Joker is hard to believe. The SG1000 was actually released the same day as the Famicom, it's equally as powerful as the top system in the world at that point (Colecovision) and the Famicom just crushed it in capability.

That's some low-quality bait right there, and in the Retro thread, of all threads.

There are tons of great games on NES but I would say a good 60-75% of the NES library is unplayable and forgettable stuff. There are hundreds of forgettable licensed platformers, sports games, terrible games, board games, kids games, etc.

Stuff like Hudson hawk, back to the future, bill and Ted, sesame Street, Kung Fu heroes, to the earth, dragon power, etc.

There are probably 100 actually good titles on NES which isn't bad but that means there's 600+ junk titles.

I actually really kind of hated the NES except for the Nintendo titles/contra/megaman, etc. until about 5-10 years ago discovering some of the lesser known titles.

My least favorite system is probably the Dreamcast. I hate the controller and even playing the few games I like o the system is ruined by the controller.

Are you trolling? Slightly better than 2600? IMO the leap from VCS/Intellivision to Famicom is the biggest ever in the history of gaming. It's also the system that saw the most improvement in graphics over its lifetime. Donkey Kong to Batman Return of the Joker is hard to believe. The SG1000 was actually released the same day as the Famicom, it's equally as powerful as the top system in the world at that point (Colecovision) and the Famicom just crushed it in capability.

That the NES is capable of anything beyond super Mario Bros 1 And legend of Zelda 1 is thanks to mmc and other chips added to the cartridges.

If there were no mmc chips added we wouldn't see anything beyond the graphical fidelity and complexity of Mario and Zelda 1. They actually benefited from the disc system in Japan and needed some workarounds to be put on a cart in the us.

Look up the book "I AM ERROR" for a fascinating dive into the technical aspects of the NES and how games were made on it.

D.Lo

That the NES is capable of anything beyond super Mario Bros 1 And legend of Zelda 1 is thanks to mmc and other chips added to the cartridges.

If there were no mmc chips added we wouldn't see anything beyond the graphical fidelity and complexity of Mario and Zelda 1. They actually benefited from the disc system in Japan and needed some workarounds to be put on a cart in the us.

Look up the book "I AM ERROR" for a fascinating dive into the technical aspects of the NES and how games were made on it.
i am well aware of why, but it doesn't mean those games are not on the platform when evaluating its library. It's one of the major strengths of the Fami design, and almost every system after it used extra hardware on carts too, the SNES was specifically built with it in mind and on that even a launch game had a DSP on the cart (Pilotwings).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If thwy want to play their system to its full potential then yes, you tell them to spend 150$ on an ossc instead of complaining about not beeing able to secure a limited emulation box
This is odd advice if you're talking about NES. The OSSC only accepts RGB and component, right? You'd need a modded NES, which will cost you more than the OSSC. I'd much rather do that myself but that's a big price jump.

I don't think the NES Mini is very good, though, to be honest.

Yes Boss!

I'm not talking about anything on specs or power or anything like that. Just simply on a catalog and titles that I would personally still like to play today. In that sense in fairs only marginally better then the 2600. And just personal opinion. I know most here adore it. For most, classic gaming starts with NES. Kinda baffled on that. Very little pleasure from that system. 16-bit systems is more fun and interesting.

Man,

Oh for gods sake. Come on, man.

I don't think anyone should be calling out Boss! on his opinion.

I too find little of interest on the NES/fami and I think its mostly because I was far more interested in what was happening in the PC space at the time.

Looking at the NES now I can look back and see/play some true classics but because I never cared for it at the time I've got no nostalgia for it.

8bit was the Little leagues for the 16 bit era. 16 bit is where these devs(most) really hit their stride!

Yes Boss!

I don't think anyone should be calling out Boss! on his opinion.

I too find little of interest on the NES/fami and I think its mostly because I was far more interested in what was happening in the PC space at the time.

Looking at the NES now I can look back and see/play some true classics but because I never cared for it at the time I've got no nostalgia for it.

Yes!

Not trying to be incendiary. I have been playing NES games for the last two months since moving back to the states, eating them up :)

But this is the retro thread and was wondering where people kinda draw their line. Does it begin where you started playing? Or another point? I will never touch 2600 ever again. Just can not do it. NES I only love the twenty or thirty games I always go back to. And those are the ones I played as a kid. But my true love begins with the PCE/Super Fami/Genesis. Only a decade ago did I finally really learn to love the Genesis as much as the Super Fami. And I am blown away by the Master System games with the FM sound.

I'm not talking about anything on specs or power or anything like that. Just simply on a catalog and titles that I would personally still like to play today. In that sense in fairs only marginally better then the 2600. And just personal opinion. I know most here adore it. For most, classic gaming starts with NES. Kinda baffled on that. Very little pleasure from that system. 16-bit systems is more fun and interesting.

But there are a ton of really great NES games. Like... 6 Mega Man games, 3 Mario games, 4 Dragon Quests, 3 Final Fantasies, 3 Castlevanias, Kirby... I mean I don't want to get into list wars but I could put together a hell of a library pretty fast and still miss a lot of great stuff. Even if you're not into platformers and RPGs like me there's such a fantastic breadth to the games available.

Sure there's shovelware but every good system has shovelware. You could fill a great lake with the crap on PS1, an ocean with what's on PS2, even more on Wii, but it doesn't really take away from the good games that are there.

Proc

Will simple composite and s-video av switchers cause input lag to my crt?

I'm up to 4 devices now and wouldn't mind organizing the cables a bit.

Top Bottom