• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

It's a real bummer how expensive some very good games have gotten. Gimmick, Trip world, Harmful Park, Suikoden II are all games I would love to have regardless of rarity/price and yet they happen to be ridiculously priced.

I mean yeah, it makes sense that good games would be more expensive, but there are plenty of games that I'm not that interested that are very expensive. Some of them are fantastic, but don't match my taste in games. Just demoralizing every time I see a video (especially pertaining to the Sunsoft titles and Harmful park) and remember that -- in all likelihood -- I'll never own any of these games.

:(

entremet

that dude has a bunch of lambos

when you're that loaded (dude has to be worth 10s of millions), yolo. I'd go for complete collections at that point too :p

I prefer the thrill of the chase, although that's getting harder as people are getting smarter and stock is drying up.

Just buying anything you want kills a lot of the fun.

If I had that much space and money I'd go for a complete Genesis collection, haters say what you want. Add some of my favorite arcade machines and get the best of the rest. What chaps my ass about this guy, is that, he has one opened and one sealed for several copies. What's the point? The only sealed games I have are the ones I haven't played yet. Put it out there for others to enjoy.

If I had the money I'd buy an already complete collection, sure. I wouldn't want to track it down myself. Byuu's old SNES collection would have been a great choice.

But for the "work for a living" crowd there's nothing wrong with just laving a library of stuff you like.

Ugh. It's absolutely goddamn infuriating when you go to bid on something in the final minute of an eBay auction and the system won't load. Just missed a minor deal on something because of it. It's happened to me at least once before.

Mzo

I've been using Gixen for over a year now on IrishNinja's reccomendation. Life has been way easier; It's just like old eBay. You put down what you're willing to pay and walk away. Just fire and forget.

Peltz

I have the biggest hankering to grab Chrono Trigger on SNES. I really don't like the DS port at all. Everything feels wrong about it.

The aspect ratio makes my eyes hurt.

Awakened

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145588432&postcount=81

yeah, the moon looks oval on NDS and such because it has square pixels when SNES aspect ratio was something like 8:7 stretched to 4:3.
Only large background objects you see for a few seconds in cutscenes seem to be aspect corrected for 4:3. The majority of the graphics have perfect circles at 8:7, like the red jewel on the bookcase or the globe thing on the left in this screenshot:
8:7:
D54BqTI.png

4:3:
k3nzj87.png

Anth0ny

I can get Phantasy Star for master system boxed for $45 CAD. Found it at a pawn shop.

Yes or no? Keep in mind id have to carry it around all night while drinking. But if it's good and gaf encourages me i'll do it!

I can get Phantasy Star for master system boxed for $45 CAD. Found it at a pawn shop.

Yes or no? Keep in mind id have to carry it around all night while drinking. But if it's good and gaf encourages me i'll do it!

Sure whynot. I can get in on some peer pressure.

You should totally buy that game.

coughlanio

Would anyone be interested in mucking about with a podcast? Been thinking of starting a podcast for the longest time, and it might as well be about retro games. Might end up going with a niche within that area, but haven't decided on any one thing yet.

Peltz

Only large background objects you see for a few seconds in cutscenes seem to be aspect corrected for 4:3. The majority of the graphics have perfect circles at 8:7, like the red jewel on the bookcase or the globe thing on the left in this screenshot:

The top picture still looks very wrong to me.

Awakened

The top picture still looks very wrong to me.
I was using 4:3 for a couple years, but switched back to 8:7 for SNES a few months ago and adjusted to the skinnier aspect quickly. I just find geometrically correct circles and squares more pleasing than having the nostalgic TV aspect. From what I've seen very few SNES games have much art corrected for 4:3.

Peltz

I was using 4:3 for a couple years, but switched back to 8:7 for SNES a few months ago and adjusted to the skinnier aspect quickly. I just find geometrically correct circles and squares more pleasing than having the nostalgic TV aspect. From what I've seen very few SNES games have much art corrected for 4:3.

It's definitely a personal preference.

At this point, I only play 240p games on crt. 8:7 just feels inauthentic for my personal tastes. I also avoid emulation and even upscaling to high resolutions as of late.

So I doubt I'll ever be accepting of playing in 8:7 aspect ratio.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So living in Pal-land, I collected our 50hz stuff for a long time before realizing the benefits of 60hz ntsc-games. I am now in the process of purging my collecting of the Pal-stuff, and go 60hz only, but for a lot of the older stuff, like Nes and Snes, I also have the boxes and manuals - which would be much harder to reaquire in decent stand. So I am considering doing something I dont really want to do, but might be the most practica. Keeping the european boxes/manuals - but selling the games, for so replacing the games only with ntsc-games.

Does anybody have thoughts on splitting up items like this? It kinda feels wrong to split something that belongs togheter, and I always hate it myself that so much is incomplete - and now I might help that development. But for me myself, this is by far the most practical solution if I want to convert my collection.

IrishNinja

^ i get you, but honestly? my collection's missing so many manuals that im sure ive got some b&w ones where they ought not be, or times ive kept LE manuals for regular edtion type stuff. truthfully, if i could trade a lotta classic ones for full-color japanese ones with more art to em, i'd toss those right in the US boxes and call it a day myself.

shame they closed, hope you went back for it man! classic RPG.

Khaz

So living in Pal-land, I collected our 50hz stuff for a long time before realizing the benefits of 60hz ntsc-games. I am now in the process of purging my collecting of the Pal-stuff, and go 60hz only, but for a lot of the older stuff, like Nes and Snes, I also have the boxes and manuals - which would be much harder to reaquire in decent stand. So I am considering doing something I dont really want to do, but might be the most practica. Keeping the european boxes/manuals - but selling the games, for so replacing the games only with ntsc-games.

Does anybody have thoughts on splitting up items like this? It kinda feels wrong to split something that belongs togheter, and I always hate it myself that so much is incomplete - and now I might help that development. But for me myself, this is by far the most practical solution if I want to convert my collection.

Many old games weren't pal optimised, meaning they would play at the correct speed in a 60Hz console. Maybe you don't have to split your stuff.

Bought a component cable for my ps2 to clean up the image for ps1 games on my TV but turns out while my composite connections can accept low resolutions the component port can't :'(

Not the end of the world as the ps1 was still pretty clean with the TV's composite scaling. I'll just have to juggle cables when switching between ps1 and ps2.

Danchi

I'm pretty sure I've just found my first case of disc rot (a copy of the Detana!! TwinBee Deluxe Pack on Sega Saturn). : /

I did go through all of my older games recently and couldn't find anything. I did think that was because I was just holding them up to a standard bulb, though, and maybe that wasn't strong enough? I've just got this and it does seem to show a single pin-sized hole that the light is able to pass through. Won't have a chance to actually test if it works until later today.

I was trying to figure out how to make an inconspicuous retro setup when I remembered I had an old 80s stereo stand in the basement that I hadn't gotten around to throwing out.

It fits perfectly in the closet in the computer room and holds a 20" CRT nicely. Still had an older system selector, so I hooked up the Genesis, Dreamcast, N64 and Gamecube (yeah, that's a VCR, too).

This is temporary until I can do a bigger dedicated setup. Just don't have a good space yet.

Bonus - when I'm done I close the closet door and it's out of site, handy for married Gaffers.

Khaz

Modern stands scare me. They are made for flimsy LCD TVs, and I'm afraid they would just break under the weight of my two CRTs, crushing all my consoles under them.

Peltz

Bought a component cable for my ps2 to clean up the image for ps1 games on my TV but turns out while my composite connections can accept low resolutions the component port can't :'(

Not the end of the world as the ps1 was still pretty clean with the TV's composite scaling. I'll just have to juggle cables when switching between ps1 and ps2.

Are you trying to do that on an LCD or Plasma? They are notoriously bad at accepting 240p over component. Check out the Retro Gaming Done Right thread if you haven't seen it yet.

Khaz

When yo house startin to look like a used game shop

The reason why I don't collect hardware in boxes.

How many console duplicates do you guys have? I bought a second PAL Saturn when I thought the first one was lost, two Megadrives because the second one was in a deal too good to pass on, and three Master System but two of them are broken.

I can't help pondering buying uncommon hardware when they come up cheap on auction even though I already have it. Price and rarity makes me want to accumulate them I suppose. This hobby is not healthy.

How many console duplicates do you guys have?

I have one box per console with all inserts, minus my SNES. I only have a dupe N64 which I keep in the box. For some reason when people come over, they love to unbox the thing and look at it. Christmas morning all over for them I guess.

entremet

How many console duplicates do you guys have? I bought a second PAL Saturn when I thought the first one was lost, two Megadrives because the second one was in a deal too good to pass on, and three Master System but two of them are broken.

I can't help pondering buying uncommon hardware when they come up cheap on auction even though I already have it. Price and rarity makes me want to accumulate them I suppose. This hobby is not healthy.

I don't collect boxes either, but I do keep the ones I've bought since I started getting into retro stuff. My oldest box is my GBMioro.

Helps with resale values if I ever go that route.

D.Lo

I'm the Product Manager at a software company, and we do releases every three weeks, and the release names for each cycle go through the alphabet. Since taking over I've made them more fun, and the last cycle of 26 was Star Wars themed.

This cycle is... 80s video games! The first release is out tomorrow, and we just sent primary contacts the Alex Kidd release notes lol.

Teknoman

I'm the Product Manager at a software company, and we do releases every three weeks, and the release names for each cycle go through the alphabet. Since taking over I've made them more fun, and the last cycle of 26 was Star Wars themed.

This cycle is... 80s video games! The first release is out tomorrow, and we just sent primary contacts the Alex Kidd release notes lol.

Wish I could do stuff like that for our newsletters. lol on the flipside, I used Wild Arms music for a western themed powerpoint, and we actually won a small contest. Guess more people like video game music than they are aware of (vast majority probably still think of simple beeps).

Also Dreamcast swirls on signs will attract people to sample areas. Fact.

Wish I could do stuff like that for our newsletters. lol on the flipside, I used Wild Arms music for a western themed powerpoint, and we actually won a small contest. Guess more people like video game music than they are aware of (vast majority probably still think of simple beeps).

Also Dreamcast swirls on signs will attract people to sample areas. Fact.

Back in 2000 I worked for an advertising company selling touchscreen kiosks to retail stores and we had put together a quirky demo showing of our product in the form of little CD-ROMS that held your business card. Anyway. I used sound files from the RTS game Dark Reign on the PC, for our button presses and music from Hot Chix and Gear Stix racing game. I always loved digging through PC game files.

Top Bottom