• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro game prices are currently pretty insane.

It's not?

It certainly has some good graphics and effects, but according to most people, it isn't as fun as the older games in the series, I tend to agree, I didn't like what I played of it at all. While the later games in the series ditched the sprawling mazes in favor of some Contra-esque segments on occasion, ST 2 seems to have done away with them entirely. I'm sure there must be people who are really into the game, but I haven't met anyone yet. Plus, I don't think Chris Hülsbeck did the music for the game, it certainly doesn't sound like it.

All in all, it doesn't touch Turrican 2 which is definitely the best game in the series.

xbox is going to be interesting in the future as it seems unlikely that it'll be emulated in any reasonable time frame.

Stuff like Metal Wolf Chaos keeps rising.

It helps that MWC was JP exclusive on a platform that was never successful. Must be a legit scarce game...

Harmen

Regarding retro titles, I see the term disc rot mentioned here and there (and there was this thread on it a year ago, gave me nightmares).

How do you notice this on black PS1 games? And what are the chances for PS1 games? Is it widespread or just some games that had bad pressings? (I know that early SEGA CD games and such have higher chances, but I want to know if PS1 games are at risk, cannot find anything specifically on it).

It influences the amount of money I feel safe to spend on PS1 games significantly.

-KRS-

Regarding retro titles, I see the term disc rot mentioned here and there (and there was this thread on it a year ago, gave me nightmares).

How do you notice this on black PS1 games? And what are the chances for PS1 games? Is it widespread or just some games that had bad pressings? (I know that early SEGA CD games and such have higher chances, but I want to know if PS1 games are at risk, cannot find anything specifically on it).

It influences the amount of money I feel safe to spend on PS1 games significantly.

It affects all types of discs. The materials the disc is made of degrade with time which will eventually make sections of the disc unreadable. There's also bit rot which will in theory affect cartridge based media as well, although it has not happened yet to anyone's knowledge. That has to do with various factors affecting the data on the chips so that one bit flips from 1 to 0 or 0 to 1. When enough bits has flipped like this it will stop working correctly. This is also true for floppy disk based media, where it has already started to happen since they use magnetic fields to store the data.

Edit: I don't think the discs will show any visible changes when this happens, so the only way to know is to try it out.

jimi_dini

Seems kind of contradictory, doesn't it, as the GC has an excellent emulator. I don't think emulation plays a big part in retro prices going up.

In some cases it actually does.

For example the FM towns versions of some LucasArts adventure games went extremely expensive right after ScummVM had support for those (some years ago Zak McKracken FM towns was sold for almost 1000$, others sold for around 600EUR).

It depends of course. When the actual hardware is quite cheap (Wii has perfect gamecube compatibility), then perfectly working emulators won't do much. But when the actual hardware is already a pain in the ass to find and/or difficult to work with, then having the ability to play those games on regular Windows affects quite a bit, especially when the game itself is rare.

Khaz

It helps that MWC was JP exclusive on a platform that was never successful. Must be a legit scarce game...

There's 6 of them on eBay right now. Not that scarce to me, more like artificially inflated prices due to perceived value, like Radiant Silvergun.

Anthropic

or Burning fucking Rangers

Oh wow....I have a disc-only US copy of Burning Rangers I got from Funcoland in probably 2000 or 2001. It's never occurred to me to see what it's worth.

It appears that a disc-only US copy of BR sold for $89.99 on eBay in late August.

Makes me feel slightly better about all of the SNES stuff I sold for peanuts in about 2005 at the nadir of SNES prices.

Mercutio

ALMOST EVERY GAMING SYSTEM EVER MADE

ATARI 2600 & 7800
NINTENDO (NES)
SUPERNINTEDO (SNES)
NINTENDO 64 (N64)
NINTENDO GAMEBOY
SEGA GENESIS (VERSION 1 & 2)
SEGA DREAMCAST
SEGA SATURN
SONY PLAYSTATION (1 & 2)
PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PSP)
XBOX

"Almost every gaming system ever made..."

Don't worry!

there is more... I will add the rest of the games soon...

I think, right now, it's definitely a seller's market, but it definitely does require a bit of searching to get decent bargains.

I am "collecting" NES and Master System games. I have a few NES games in box bought for decent prices, but it's definitely a "cart only" console in a lot of cases so as not to break the bank.

On the flip side, I have got awesome deals on Master System games complete, the last being £3 for Marble Madness (I won't buy MS games that aren't complete)

Shop around. Get down to second hand shops, go through bins of games, do whatever you can. eBay is a start, but there's a lot to be had in charity and second hand shops.

simpleton

Im not understanding the insane prices im seeing for just about any gamecube games. Compared to the original xbox, which came out around the same time and sold a comparable amount. I can buy almost any xbox game for a few dollars, while everything on gamecube seems to be made out of gold.

Consequently im buying old xbox games like crazy right now.

terrisus

Don't worry!

I can understand him rushing to get that listing out there.
I mean, it's not every day someone is offering the chance to buy "Almost every gaming system ever made"

At least he got the important stuff out there first.

There's no way in hell that is collection is worth more than a thousand.

Obviously.
No one's going to actually buy it/not for anywhere close to that price.

Porcile

Im not understanding the insane prices im seeing for just about any gamecube games. Compared to the original xbox, which came out around the same time and sold a comparable amount. I can buy almost any xbox game for a few dollars, while everything on gamecube seems to be made out of gold.

Xbox games just aren't as desirable, simple as. There's a lot of nostalgia for Gamecube games because of their perceived quality. There's a lot of dumb prices out there, I stopped buying Gamecube about 7 years ago and the prices have shot way up since.

I've been collecting Gamecube games, but I'm kinda thinking about starting a Xbox collection as well. Anyone have any suggestions for Xbox games that I should be on the lookout for? Both collectability wise and just plain old good games.

Porcile

I've been collecting Gamecube games, but I'm kinda thinking about starting a Xbox collection as well. Anyone have any suggestions for Xbox games that I should be on the lookout for? Both collectability wise and just plain old good games.

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Grind Future Radio
Shenmue 2
Phantom Dust

antibolo

Banned
If you want Jet Set Radio Future remember that the standalone version of the game is super rare but the bundle version that also includes Sega GT can be had for dirt cheap.

Collectors buy up now, I am warning you in 5-10 years time when we go all digital, prices are going to skyrocket

I don't think I agree with your logic.

Price are always going to go up, but the current gen being all digital or not should have no impact whatsoever.

I think there's a Nintendo effect in play. High quality first party games, nostalgia, well made hardware, etc. NES, SNES, GC are all up in value. Even Gameboy stuff can be high at times.

Daigoro

shit i can sell my mint copy of Burning Rangers for like $180?

i need to sell some of these games. just dont really feel like dealing with ebay...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Standalone JSRF isn't expensive, either. Pretty sure I picked my copy up for $10-$15 last year, and that was on an impulse BIN.

I don't think I agree with your logic.

Price are always going to go up, but the current gen being all digital or not should have no impact whatsoever.
I think there's some logic in the idea that the rise of DD will correlate with a decline in number of physical copies in circulation; fewer discs will need to be pressed if people are just getting their games through other channels.

Whether that leads to a rise in value or not is a total crap shoot, though. On the one hand, some discs might become really desirable and valuable when certain digital servers are shut down. On the other, some discs will just be coasters if you can no longer download important day-one patches to make them functional.

Mark5130

I've been crossing off a lot of "high-end" stuff on my list lately, but one game that has been eluding me is Chrono Trigger on the SNES. You're looking at $200 minimum for a CIB, which is insane.

Aside from what was already mentioned:
-Gunvalkyrie
-Star Wars Republic Commando
-Outrun 2
-Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
-Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller
-Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions
-Rallysport Challenge 2
-Burnout 2: Director's Cut
-Crimson Skies

Tain

Also Spikeout Battle Street. If you're up for buying something a bit pricier and you have the space, Steel Battalion is a wonderful game. Don't let the controller fool you into thinking the game itself must be gimmicky. It's a masterpiece.

The Japanese presence on both Xbox and Xbox 360 is hella overlooked. Good for keeping the games cheap, though.

Mihos

Gold Member
ALMOST EVERY GAMING SYSTEM EVER MADE

ATARI 2600 & 7800
NINTENDO (NES)
SUPERNINTEDO (SNES)
NINTENDO 64 (N64)
NINTENDO GAMEBOY
SEGA GENESIS (VERSION 1 & 2)
SEGA DREAMCAST
SEGA SATURN
SONY PLAYSTATION (1 & 2)
PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PSP)
XBOX

"Almost every gaming system ever made..."

I laughed way to hard at this.

Mihos

Gold Member
Nostalgia ain't cheap kids. eBay will always have those random low prices though. If you're patient enough they will come. This is coming from a guy who just bought a game for more than he'd like to admit recently.

CollectorGAF will know my pain

I am trying to get a decently in shape Turbo Express, so I feel your pain. I know I will end up paying a lot more than I should.

I am trying to get a decently in shape Turbo Express, so I feel your pain. I know I will end up paying a lot more than I should.

Almost any Turbo Express (or PC Engine GT) you find will have issues with speaker sound unless it has been previously repaired. NEC used cheap caps in the audio circuit, and they just failed with age. Fortunately, the fix is well documented on the net, and fairly inexpensive to have done (you should be able to find someone to do it for you for $40-$50). The other notable problem is dead pixels or lines on the LCD displays, which you cannot fix, but is not that common, as NEC used quality parts there.

The GOOD side of this is that if you can find a Turbo Express with a good LCD display but no speaker sound, you can bargain the price down knowing you can get it fixed... I got mine mint in box for $100 about 8 years ago, paid to have the sound fixed, and I've been using it ever since without issue.

Mercutio

Then after you've got it, you'll have to swap the screen out, and replace all the caps. You tell yourself now "Nah, I don't need that stuff."

Sure you won't. Buahahahahhaah.

DCharlie

Banned
Standalone JSRF isn't expensive, either. Pretty sure I picked my copy up for $10-$15 last year, and that was on an impulse BIN.

JSRF got a price spike after it became runnable on X360 if my flagging memory serves me well.

certainly in Japan it's not a dirt cheap game if you want one in mint condition, but it's not a bank breaker.

I stupidly started looking at the PCB scene again and surprised to see a lot of the prices trending upwards - Cave games still coming flying down. Heh, on one drunken night i tried to by Ketsui on my credit card for 148,000 yen. Fortunately, seems my card was skimmed and someone else was trying to use the card at another location at almost the same time.

A few weeks later the X360 version was announced. Lucky escape! ;) (i'd still have wanted the board if i'd kept my cabs... can get it from anywhere from 48k to 63k it seems now... crazy).

Forgotten Worlds with controller in gfront too... for 200,000 yen. gulp.

huxley00

I'm 33, my childhood was filled with NES and SNES. Im in the time of my life where I make good money and don't have kids yet...lots of other people out there like me who want their old favorites and are willing to pay...

Khaz

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Sega-Saturn-...S2-/331367704421?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:FR:3160

Worse, the seller knows about what a scam the GSP is, and yet still use it. From the ad:

!!ATTENTION **INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS**: I use Ebay's Global Shipping Program for shipping outside the USA. Ebay contracts this service out to a company named Pitney-Bowes, which has been known to open packages and re-package contents before shipping outside the US. I always securely package my items, but I have no control over any packaging changes Pitney-Bowes may effect and will not be held responsible if items arrive damaged. Please keep this in mind before bidding. If you have questions about how much it will be for shipping to your country or how long shipping time-frames are, please contact Ebay customer service.

If it isn't a "fuck off, foreigners, don't buy my stuff", I don't know what it is.

Seriously, I'd have to pay 21.51 shipping + 29.89 "estimated taxes" = $51.40 (half the price of the item itself) to ship across the Atlantic.

If it isn't a "fuck off, foreigners, don't buy my stuff", I don't know what it is.

Seriously, I'd have to pay 21.51 shipping + 29.89 "estimated taxes" = $51.40 (half the price of the item itself) to ship across the Atlantic.

It sort of is a "fuck off", but at least he's honest about it.

antibolo

Banned
I hate GSP so much.

I once bought a backlit GBA SP from a GSP-using US seller and got this thing instead:

D5wfqqR.jpg

Bog

Junior Ace
I still have the mintest of mint boxes for most of the games I had growing up. The pricier ones being Mario RPG, Chrono, FFIII, TMNT, etc. I feel dumb not selling them for a grand or whatever while the prices are ridiculous. But I never will.

Top Bottom