• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Gaming Thread

Mitsurux

I always say go check on Price charting if you want to look up some prices. Personally at some of these prices I wouldn't sell because I'd worry that if a game is worth that much who knows if the other guy is legit or not. (The incentive to steal is too high.)
I'm in the same boat. I've got some doubles and some other stuff I've thought about selling but the using ebay just seems like a risk I'm not willing to deal with.

Bullet Club

Every MEGA DRIVE SHOOT EM UP Reviewed and Ranked! Sega's Mega Drive had over 80 Shooters on the system! More than the Sega Saturn, Playstation or any other console aside from NEC's PC Engine. This video will help you explore the entire Mega Drive (Genesis) library by reviewing and ranking every shooter in a massive, epic shmup compilation!

You'll see real hardware including the original Sega Genesis and Mega Drive systems, SegaCD and MegaCD, 32X, and even the X-Eye! Not only the classics like Musha, Gaiares and the Thunder Force series, but hidden gems like Atomic Runner, Ranger X, and Eliminate Down. From arcade conversions like Toaplan's Truxton and Taito's Darius series, to unlicensed and indie games you may have never heard of. So prepare for the Ultimate Mega Drive Shooter video leaving no stone unturned!

Niko Bellic is a horrible human, but he’s also a great character. In this video, DeVante breaks down what makes Niko so good even in a post-GTA 5 world.

1vLFVr0.jpg

playXray

I’ve got an OSSC hooked up to a PS2 and an LG C9. The image quality is amazing, but it does flicker due to the interlacing (I’m using bob deinterlacing from the OSSC itself). Is there a (preferably hardware) solution I can use to convert the signal to progressive scan in order to eliminate the flicker?

Naked Lunch

I’ve got an OSSC hooked up to a PS2 and an LG C9. The image quality is amazing, but it does flicker due to the interlacing (I’m using bob deinterlacing from the OSSC itself). Is there a (preferably hardware) solution I can use to convert the signal to progressive scan in order to eliminate the flicker?
There are certain PS2 games that use progressive scan (480p or even 240p) - but only a select few. Outrun 2 is one example. Some games prompt you for it but others you have to hold a button combo during startup. The vast majority of PS2 games you're stuck using 480i.

Id recommender getting a Retrotink 5X or wait for the 4K version. Best solution to PS2 deinterlacing on the market.
I also had an OSSC with PS2 setup and the flicker made games unplayable after a while - actually gave me a migraine.
RT5X's deinterlacer (using the motion adaptive setting) removes the jitter completely.

Last edited:

playXray

There are certain PS2 games that use progressive scan (480p or even 240p) - but only a select few. Outrun 2 is one example. Some games prompt you for it but others you have to hold a button combo during startup. The vast majority of PS2 games you're stuck using 480i.

Id recommender getting a Retrotink 5X or wait for the 4K version. Best solution to PS2 deinterlacing on the market.
I also had an OSSC with PS2 setup and the flicker made games unplayable after a while - actually gave me a migraine.
RT5X's deinterlacer (using the motion adaptive setting) removes the jitter completely.
Yeah, that was my first port of call actually, but those things are seriously expensive in the UK (like £400 when you include import duties etc). Is there anything I can use to just convert the signal to progressive either before or after it comes out of the OSSC?

Naked Lunch

Yeah, that was my first port of call actually, but those things are seriously expensive in the UK (like £400 when you include import duties etc). Is there anything I can use to just convert the signal to progressive either before or after it comes out of the OSSC?
The only thing that I know of is a program called OPL which you use thru a PS2 memory card. On a game to game basis, you can try to force certain video modes with an option in OPL called GSM - buts its super finicky and the video modes wont work half of the time.

I was always under the impression you are stuck with the 480i output of the PS2 and have to work your way around it. The OSSC's 'way around it' is that Bob Deinterlacer.

playXray

The only thing that I know of is a program called OPL which you use thru a PS2 memory card. On a game to game basis, you can try to force certain video modes with an option in OPL called GSM - buts its super finicky and the video modes wont work half of the time.

I was always under the impression you are stuck with the 480i output of the PS2 and have to work your way around it. The OSSC's 'way around it' is that Bob Deinterlacer.
OK, I guess I will just put up with it. Still looks amazing, just a bit flickery. Thanks.

Havoc2049

Rise_From_Your_Grave_TTX.png

Rise! Rise from your grave olde thread! Rise!

A retro remaster of Towers II for the Atari Jaguar, done by the original developers, JV Games and published by Songbird Productions. Comes out July 2023.

Enhancements:

LOADING​

site logo

All About Retro Games​

aurora image

OUR NEW RETRO GAMES​

Yes, new retro games! We have been involved in the video game community almost since its inception. We could not resist refreshing some of our eailrer titles and re-releasing them.

aurora image

TOWERS II : ENHANCED STARGAZER EDITION​

RPG Game | Console: Atari Jaguar | 2023 (original release 1996)
Towers 2 - Enhanced Stargazer edition, reimagined and upgraded from the original offering released over 25 years ago on the Atari Jaguar as its first RPG game on the platform. COMING SOON!! Stay Tuned!
logo

TOWERS II​

THE FIRST RPG FOR THE JAGUAR​

Towers 2 - Enhanced Stargazer edition, picks up a couple of months after their initial landing on this strange island.
Become one of four different characters as you are immersed within strange events in this mystical land of Lamini. Uncover the secrets as you explore Daggan’s tower. Many before you have tried, but none have returned.
screenshot

THE STORY​

The crew is discovering that there is something very strange in the land of Lamini. There is no outside trade or information, and the locals seem only interested in the current affairs of Lamini.
During this time repairs have been made to the ship, which is almost complete, and the crew is more then anxious to leave the island. This is when the new sheriff requests your audience. Lord Daggan, one of Lamini's highest council members appears to have gone mad. The council's elite guards and mages were sent in to stop Daggan, but none have been heard from since.
According to the sheriff, you are Lamini's best chance. It seems that the only people that have been able to enter the Tower and escape have been a small group of thieves. Several thieves were questioned, and their confessions were amazing. They spoke of large eyes with wings, men made out of metal, and living fire. It is now up to you, with a companion if you choose, to enter Daggan's towers, and unravel the mystery.

GAME ENHANCEMENTS​

• Graphics upgraded to 24-bit CRY
  • Screen enlarged to 320x220 from 320x200
  • Optimized assembly code that runs about 10%-15% faster
  • Rewrite of GPU visible fustrum algorithm for better culling
  • Replaced dungeon graphics (walls, floors, ceilings and doors)
  • Upgraded to a 4Meg cart
  • Added vocals from the PC version
  • Graphics are now "perspective corrected"
  • Save game on a 2k EEPROM now
  • Changed the title screen, added short FMV from the GBC version
  • Several puzzle changes & cleanups throughout the game
  • Tightened and cleaned up movement controls
  • A,B,C and Option buttons are now customizable
  • works with Pro-controller
  • Inventory assist will wisk items to inventory panel for quick inventory functions
  • Open & close doors and pull chains in movement mode via the attack button
  • All items now display weight and stats
  • Spells and weapons that monsters are immune to will be stated when attacking
  • Important NPCs can not be accidentally eliminated, until they outlive their usefulness
  • Monster AI improvements from PC version added
  • Added additional automap details like pits, chains, teleports and holes in ceilings
  • Status appear above enemy's head when hitting them
  • Running into NPCs will now activate vocals and text
  • Holding items in your joystick "hand", will auto trade with NPCs
  • Added new better looking fonts
  • New end of game visuals
  • New in-game map graphic
  • Merton - the magic user - gets a spell at start of game
  • NPCs no longer walk away when you are talking to them

Top Bottom