• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hires Uncharted 3, Darksiders Artists. Crunch Time "This Year"

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

The artist already confirmed that the "crowning achievement" comment was in regards to illustrations for his brother's book, and not for the project he was working on at Retro.

Yeah, clearly a cover-up. Sorry bro, but if my expensive education allows me the privilege to work for some of Gaming's most praised studios my "crowning achievement" is not going to be the few hours I spend whipping something up for your book at the "family" discount.

Saul

Banned
Yeah, clearly a cover-up. Sorry bro, but if my expensive education allows me the privilege to work for some of Gaming's most praised studios my "crowning achievement" is not going to be the few hours I spend whipping something up for your book at the "family" discount.

exactly. :)

the people who believe he wasn't talking about the new game he's co-developing clearly are victims of the terrible US educational system..

Xun

I really don't think it's a new IP sadly.

I mean after all they did say they were working on a project everyone wants them to do.

I mean after all they did say they were working on a project everyone wants them to do.

Nintendo probably won't let them do a new IP until they REALLY establish themselves as a great developer.

Most here know they are but a new IP would be too risky sales-wise but you have to start somewhere with something original.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

/wants them to do Metroid Prime 4.
ergo
Retro are doing a Metroid Prime 4.

Darryl

Banned

Yea, but people have also been wanting them to take up a new IP and make a mature-themed game. This could really be anything until we get more information.

I firmly believe it's a LoZ Shiek game, action (GoW/Bayonetta style), with a taste of puzzler. Nothing else makes sense to me.

slit

I know and that just pisses me off! I want something original from them dammit!

Although an updated take on Star Tropics would be cool.

apana

Yea, but people have also been wanting them to take up a new IP and make a mature-themed game. This could really be anything until we get more information.

I firmly believe it's a LoZ Shiek game, action (GoW/Bayonetta style), with a taste of puzzler. Nothing else makes sense to me.

It would make much more sense for them to just make HD Zelda. Face it no one cares about this Sheik stuff outside of us.

royalan

This.

Honestly, RETRO should do Prime 4. It'd be awesome. Come on.

Metroid has zero traction with the non-nintendo audience. And between the Prime games and Other M, Metroid has been the most supported of Nintendo's mascot franchises other than Mario.

In short: anything but Metroid.

apana

My best guess is that Japan is handling Metroid. Katsuya Eguchi was talking about it and as far as I know he doesn't have a whole lot of connections to Retro.

Metroid has zero traction with the non-nintendo audience. And between the Prime games and Other M, Metroid has been the supported of Nintendo's mascot franchises other than Mario.

In short: anything but Metroid.

Out of ALL of Nintendo's IP's Metroid is the one that has the most traction - especially with the appeal of online multiplayer.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
If you're ever going to create a new IP, releasing it at/around launch is the best time to do it so it is not lost in the crowd.

apana

If the comment was about his brother's book then he would say something like "I am working on a project that is close to my heart". You say "crowning achievement" when it relates to your abilities and career. Clearly Zelda would be a crowning achievement.

wrowa

/wants them to do Metroid Prime 4.
ergo
Retro are doing a Metroid Prime 4.

I don't even know if I want another Metroid Prime. Echoes and Corruptions both have been a far cry from the greatness of the first. I don't have high hopes that Retro would turn that ship around again...

Haunted

Him deleting his Twiter means the game is Shadowman 2.
Not really sure how to tell you this, but...

SHADOW_MAN_2_PS2.JPG

I don't even know if I want another Metroid Prime. Echoes and Corruptions both have been a far cry from the greatness of the first. I don't have high hopes that Retro would turn that ship around again...

Eh, I thought Echoes was very close to Prime-quality but yeah, Corruption albeit a good game was shackled by the focus on the Remote and it lost something in design and exquisite class.

With all that said, I'd be happy if it was another Prime and happy if it wasn't.

Appleman

Whoa there. Say what you will about the heap of disappointment that was Corruption, but Echoes was really great. Excellent concept, exceptional environments and atmosphere (although not quite as varied as the first, dat Sanctuary Fortress), great bosses, the added power ups were fantastic, and the game was actually difficult.

If the comment was about his brother's book then he would say something like "I am working on a project that is close to my heart". You say "crowning achievement" when it relates to your abilities and career. Clearly Zelda would be a crowning achievement.

listen to you fucking people

sometimes people care about their families more than electronic toys made for children and manchildren

blu

*bzzzz*
Wrong.

Echoes outdoes Prime in every department except in 'Look mom, they actually pulled a Super Metroid in 3D first person!'

TreIII

This.

Honestly, RETRO should do Prime 4. It'd be awesome. Come on.

I would love to see Retro do another Metroid game, but not necessarily another Metroid Prime.

Give us the 3D game that Other M didn't quite live up to, and FINALLY take things past the Fusion. That's all I could want.

Ravidrath

Indirectly it's because of Nintendo

Having talked to him about all this for about an hour yesterday, I would say it's at least 70% because GAF is creeping him out.

I mean, seriously... GAF prides itself on how many developers read it, but this is exactly why more developers aren't open about their jobs on here.

Anth0ny

The artist already confirmed that the "crowning achievement" comment was in regards to illustrations for his brother's book, and not for the project he was working on at Retro.

Definitely a cover up.

His original tweet was:

"Alas I am going to shelve it for a little while as I am going to work on another project that I am super excited about. I can't talk about it too much but if all goes well it might just be one of my crowning achievements as an artist...."

1. why would illustrating his brother's book be his crowning achievement
2. why would he not be able to talk about that too much

Not to mention he deleted his freaking Twitter.

Obviously "brother" is code for Miyamoto and "book" is code for Zelda!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd also like to see another Metroid game, but I'm not sure they could make a Prime 4? I mean, the "Prime" saga pretty much came to a close in 3 without any way to continue it (technically the ending did hint at a new game, but that wasn't something that would tie into the phazon/Prime series). Wonder if they would retcon another game in, make a new game/story in first person but use the Prime name for recognition, or just ditch it altogether?

And another take on third person Metroid in 3D wouldn't be bad either. Or 2D. Whatever they do with it I'm sure it would work out well.

royalan

sometimes people care about their families more than electronic toys made for children and manchildren

Not saying he doesn't care about his family.

I just find it highly unlikely that a young professional such as him, working for the industry's top studios, would refer to sidework he does for his brother as his "crowning achievement".

I mean, it would be very touching in a "Full House" sorta way, but...

I mean, seriously... GAF prides itself on how many developers read it, but this is exactly why more developers aren't open about their jobs on here.

I really don't see how this would have played out any differently in any other forum. Sure, GAF is special in that is has a high amount of visibility within the industry, but I can't think of any other board where the fires of speculation wouldn't have been fueled by all of this...as evidenced by all the sites reporting it. People like to speculate, and dude has a twitter account and a blog...how is this really surprising?

Ravidrath

I just find it highly unlikely that a young professional such as him, working for the industry's top studios, would refer to sidework he does for his brother as his "crowning achievement".

The amount of wrongheaded and ignorant psychoanalysis in this thread is amazing.

You make it sound like he's some shit-eating business laywer, not a super-chill and self-motivated artist.

Artists derive joy from what they like to make. And while making art at a great company like Retro is often something they will like, unless it's their own IP it's still going to be a job and thus will never be on the same level as a personal project.

I really don't see how this would have played out any differently in any other forum. Sure, GAF is special in that is has a high amount of visibility within the industry, but I can't think of any other board where the fires of speculation wouldn't have been fueled by all of this...as evidenced by all the sites reporting it. People like to speculate, and dude has a twitter account and a blog...how is this really surprising?

So, just to be sure...

Your defense of GAF being terrible is that the rest of the internet would likely also be terrible? And that he was asking for it because he tried to use internet things that billions of everyday people have?

Other forums don't run around bragging about how many devs read them, but what GAF doesn't seem to understand is that it's really more in a Jersey Shore/horrible spectacle sort of way.

If GAF really wants to be the special thing it likes to think of itself as rather than an absolute trainwreck of humanity, it should aim higher and try to engage developers more. And the first step to that would be moderating their baser and creepier desires.

royalan

The amount of wrongheaded and ignorant psychoanalysis in this thread is amazing.

You make it sound like he's some shit-eating business laywer, not a super-chill and self-motivated artist.

Artists derive joy from what they like to make. And while making art at a great company like Retro is often something they will like, unless it's their own IP, it's still a job and thus will never be on the same level as a personal project.

I'm not making him sound like anything; I don't know the guy. It's all speculation, which is kind of the point. At the end of the day I could be dead-ass-wrong. Eh.

So, just to be sure...

Your defense of GAF being terrible is that the rest of the internet would likely also be terrible?

No, my defense is that it's perfectly natural to speculate. I don't think it's terrible at all. If he really deleted his public twitter account because people were @'ing him and asking him questions, and not from pressure from Retro/Nintendo, well that was a choice he made. Not because people are terrible. Industry insiders/celebrities get asked questions all the time on Twitter. That's kind of what makes Twitter...well, Twitter.

I could see if people were hacking his accounts and shit and actually digging through his garbage. That would be awful. But all people are doing here is ultimately harmless hypothesizing based on what little information is publicly available on the internet in relation to his job.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What? So anyone who at some moment in life called something related to non-indie work a "crowning achievement" as opposed to something done for a family member is a shit-eating business laywer? What the hell? As for the GAF collective brag shit... smh.

No, listen to you _______ person. People don't have to be horrible and hate their family to take such pride in their work. It may be wrong, either way it's speculation and you speculating one thing doesn't make everything else an outrageous manchild dream.

blu

<snip>
Other forums don't run around bragging about how many devs read them, but what GAF doesn't seem to understand is that it's really more in a Jersey Shore/horrible spectacle sort of way.

If GAF really wants to be the special thing it likes to think of itself as rather than an absolute trainwreck of humanity, it should aim higher and try to engage developers more. And the first step to that would be moderating their baser and creepier desires.
Speaking of wrongheaded and ignorant psychoanalysis, did you really have to contribute to that?

This thread has gone to a dark place. I'm afraid of being remembered as the guy who made this thread.

I didn't know it would end up like this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom