• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios Hiring for MP4

Zannegan

That's not a good sign for anyone hoping the game would be out next year.

On the other hand, it might just indicate that they're looking into bringing multiplayer back for the series. Though whether that's a good thing or not is subjective.

Tesseract

Banned
i know a couple of the black mesa guys and gals wanted in on this, now's a good time to pump up your portfolios

hope they crush it, keeping expectations checked until i see something (anything)

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Was hoping this would have been by a Japanese dev but at least Kensuke Tanabe is still on board.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This thing seems to be moving at a snail's pace..

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
No kidding, just checked and I preordered this 21th November 2017 :D
Well, good luck :pie_savoring:

Looks like it's gonna take a long fucking time. I wouldn't be surprised if it became cross-gen.

Last edited:
Big project. Going from platformers to first person shooter or perhaps third person with semi-realistic graphics/environments on Switch hardware.... big time step up.

I wanted a 3D Donkey Kong from them but I'm Ok with this as well.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Dang. This is still a ways off. I'd love to see anything from it though. Just so we can get an idea of what to expect.

Last edited:

lekain

Neo Member
I wonder how many times they have scratchef everything and started it over behind the door. I want to play this damn game!

iconmaster

Banned

There's some bad journalism going on here. The article states "In his latest role at Retro, Jobe is responsible for Metroid Prime 4’s schedule, scope and product quality, according to a job description." But none of Retro's job descriptions ever specify for which game the position is being hired. They could all be for Prime 4, or Retro could be beefing up for additional projects about which we've heard nothing.

Cygnus X-1

We need some real news. A picture. A conceptual schematic. A draft. A drawing. Anything would do.

And they should also be honest and reveal what went wrong that prevented them to present any game since 2015. It's a awfully long time.

KINGMOKU

Retro studios has to be a huge disappointment for Nintendo. They havnt released a new game since 2014. Retro is not Rockstar, or some other games studio that makes blockbuster games that sell 10 million+ copies.

They make absolutely steller games, but the pace is just not sustainable. They remind of an arthouse film director who wins awards, and break even, or lose money for the studios that finance them.

Honest question. What could a studio that employes between 150-200 people(based on various reports I've read)be doing for 6 years if they haven't released a game?

They released games in 02', 07', 09' 10' 11', 13', and 14'.

Do they just help out on a bunch of Nintendo games instead of releasing new products?

I honestly don't understand the business modeling at work there. Not knocking their work as it's brilliant.

The studio has never been big enough to pump out a top of the line, AAA, third person/first person shooter hybrid. DKC+TF was pumped out at a nice clip so it's not a matter of incompetence. It's a matter of game scope and genre.

It could easily take 5 years when all is said and done for that team to release the type of game Metroid is. Not to mention, the requirement of aggressive expansion + being held back by crappy hardware. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the new normal for AAA shooters in the industry from small teams.

Nintendo type games are, for the most part, easy on the dev cycle. Metroid is in a genre with different expectations.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Just imagine if they never did that early logo announcement. We'd be blissfully unaware of the turmoil of this game's development - and even its existence until they were good and ready to announce it.

I'm glad they generally stopped favoring super early announcements.

Bluefoxfires

Neo Member
When you put MP4 it automatically register's as Max Payne 4 for me haha. I was kinda excited. I didn't know who retro studios was so then I figured it must be something else.

Zannegan

I just hope that's mostly with their next project in mind. I know different aspects of games are completed at different times/rates, but every time I see Retro make a big hire, I mentally push the earliest launch date back by a year and a half.

uNLySgh.png

Top Bottom