• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Best platformer of last gen gets a sequel. That's not bad.

That said it is sad that Retro is not allowed to pursue other IPs.

Like others said. At least it wasn't Mario Kart.

DKCR was great but I think players have great faith in Retro to do something of a larger scale.

Is it possible that Retro is handling multiple projects?

Based on the people they've been hiring, it seems odd that they'd be entirely devoted to a DKCR sequel.

Mr. Fix

But what does Tricky think!?

I'm hyped for this! A bit unfortunate at no Metroid, but I'm not complaining. DKCR is great!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm pretty sure Retro has two teams, this is probably the smaller of their projects.

AniHawk

the lanyard has spoken.

seriously they were going to be advertising donkey kong just for whatever? come on, of course it was this.

codhand

frustrated.gif

Okay, it seems like this is a safe place to be disappointed (even while conceding that DKCR was awesome, and I'm excited to have more of it): I was kind of banking on Retro to deliver either a new IP or at least a new Metroid because that series now needs a revival, and it could probably benefit from the extra horsepower more than DKCR. Besides which, Wii U isn't exactly hurting for platformers, but it desperately needs original, expansive 1P adventure games.

TentPole

I am sure that this and the new Mario will be fantastic games, but it is hard to not be super bummed out by them all the same.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yawn. I'll probably buy it, but I'm hesitant just because I don't want to support them making yet another one. Was really hoping they would have something new or interesting. Not Donkey Kong.

balohna

It's kind of funny scrolling through this thread and seeing how people with Metroid avatars feel.

That said, I was hoping it would be either a new Metroid or something entirely new.

CronoShot

Such a talented team, and they put them to work on a sequel ANYONE at EAD could have made.

I'm done. I'm just done.

Such a colossal disappointment.

Ithil

Doesn't seem to gel with what they've been saying on what they were developing?
Maybe they're developing two games at once.

Ydahs

It looked amazing, but yeah, we need Retro working on something else...

Maybe they have more than one team working on two separate projects?

RPGCrazied

This is Retro's secret game? Oh my. Oh well. I thought it would have been something else. I guess as long as they have been working on Metroid, I guess they will work on Donkey Kong just as long. Just a thought.

Fuck this x1000, DKCR is cool and all but why waste Retro on it.

Major Direct disappointment for me. Mario 3D did not impress me either. Mario Kart 8, Bayo 2 and X look amazing though.

Okay, it seems like this is a safe place to be disappointed (even while conceding that DKCR was awesome, and I'm excited to have more of it): I was kind of banking on Retro to deliver either a new IP or at least a new Metroid because that series now needs a revival, and it could probably benefit from the extra horsepower more than DKCR. Besides which, Wii U isn't exactly hurting for platformers, but it desperately needs original, expansive 1P adventure games.

batbeg

Man, a fucking platformer instead of a grimdarkmatoorshooter? I'm sick of platformers, they're so fucking overdone now.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Appalling news in my opinion. The resources could have been used to produce something original and fresh. Instead, we get something we've already played twice (once on Wii, once on Nintendo 3DS). Where's the innovation, the passion? I'm not impressed.

web01

No Kremlins = Fuck you Nintendo.

They probably think they are too scary for children or some stupid reason so we get these goofy ass enemies.

Probably doesn't bode well for King K Rool getting his well deserved and overdue place on the smash bros roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom