• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Studios working on fucking Donkey Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining

okwiththis.png

I never enjoyed 3D Metroid anyway, bleah.

OzPinoy

Banned
Retro Studio seriously can't be making this game for the past 2+ years. There gotta be more. Otherwise welp Nintendo.

I know many are disappointed that Retro is doing another DKC game, and I was hoping it would be something else, but I'm just fine with it since I love the DKC series and DKCR was so much fun.

I'm curious if you will be able to play with Diddy and Dixie, ala DKC 2, and not just Donkey Kong and Diddy or Donkey Kong and Dixie.

Galang

Banned
In hindsight all the signs pointed to this, heh. I just hope they're taken off the series after it's done.. and work on something new.

Making a follow-up to one of the best platforming experiences of the past decade?

See for me platforming that relies on you playing through a level a shit ton of times to memorize when to jump, when this appears, when this happens, is not even in the top 10 of platforming experiences. It's the main reason why I've never liked the DKC series, and while DCKR was a well made game, was not for me at all.

Plus as others have said, plenty of platformers, give me some diversity. Retro was just the studio to let do some kind of Action game, not yet another platformer.

New Super Mario Bros
New Super Luigi
Rayman Legends
Super Mario 3D World
Sonic Lost Worlds

That's just off the top of my head, we didn't need another platformer in the portfolio. We could use an awesome action game though!

I mean, I'm kinda disappointed that it's not something new either but people are acting like DKCR was terrible and that Retro making a sequel to one of their best and easily most successful game is somehow demeaning them.

Slime

Banned
I thought the new 3D Mario seeming so half-baked creatively would be my big disappointment from the Direct, but this edges it out. What a letdown.

All I was thinking of during the Nintendo Direct was 'don't be Retro, don't be Retro, don't be Retro'.

I don't mind another Donkey Kong game. I liked the Returns. But couldn't someone else do it?

Wouldn't you prefer a competent, proven developer to be in control?

What's the point of Nintendo dishing out their franchises to differing studios to make a cheap buck, when they could give it a team that clearly knows what they're doing? Granted, I'm sure people would be complaining had Retro NOT been developing it.

I think everyone wanted to see something new. What was the point of keeping it such a secret? It's just a sequel we knew we would get at some point. Is that one star tropics poster banned yet?

DKCR rated around a 9 average. It sold more than all 3 Metroid games, combined. That's around 6 million copies. They made 3 Metroid games in a row, and somehow this surprises you? It had the sales, it had the reviews. Why wouldn't they make another one.

You guys... you guys.

We'll see how much it sells on Wii U

Being angry about this is kind of stupid. Being Disappointed on the other hand is understandable. How do we make Nintendo understand that we want New IP? That we don't want Metroid, Star Fox, and F zero to ever die.

Loved the absolutely crap out of DKCR but this was such a disappointment. I didn't want another of the same game, even if Dixie Kong is in it. The only way I would've loved this is if they made it grimier and made it more akin to the original DKC2 w/ Dixie and Diddy.

This feels super lazy. Another case of NSMBU

Damar

Banned
I really enjoyed DKCR. I guess I am a bit taken aback by the fact that this seemingly is their only project.

I also didn't think it would have taken another three year development cycle for a sequel, since they got the formula pretty much nailed in the first one. And all that is aside form all the talent they've hired recently.

All things considered, I'd rather Retro work on DKC than ship it off to some other studio who'll poop out a shell of what I expect DKC to be. Very excited for this game.

NeoRausch

Michael Kelbaugh from Retro Studios says that it was hard to decide between making a new Metroid or Donkey Kong game.

Revealed in a tweet by a ONM writer, Donkey Kong was chosen because Retro felt they had unfinished business with the franchise. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is one of this year's Wii U tent-pole games and a follow up to Retro's Donkey Kong Country Returns.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/34554

sigh....

Sianos

The game itself looks beautiful and fun, but I'm still disappointed that this is Retro's "secret" "surprise", considering the (excellent) first game didn't come out that long ago and just got a remake as well. I would have liked to see something new come out of the conference, not just a retread of old ground, even if it is some damn good ground.

I hold a small amount of hope that Retro is working on a real surprise as well, but I doubt it.

this is going to be a fantastic game, and will have a fourth playable character that we dont know yet, but at the same time I also have to hope that a Retro side team is behind this game, building upon the existing engine and upgrading it.

if they were totally devoted to this for over two years now, that's certainly a let down

Myriadis

The same disappointment I got when I read in a magazine that Rare was doing DKC3 instead of working on something good.

At least it isn't Metroid Prime 4. I would've hated it to shit out another Metroid after three games already.

Kusagari

Considering the game is already close to coming out, I have hope that Retro is working on another title as well right now.

JaseMath

What are the odds of there being two titles developed simultaneously at Retro?
God this is like the worst "surprise" ever.

Sianos

It was certainly a surprise the first time Nintendo revealed a new Donkey Kong Country: the second time, not so much.

FlyFaster

I was livid when I heard this.

fucking nintendo screwing shit up left and right. Can't believe they put Retro on DK. I hate DK.

abrack08

I get the disappointment that they aren't working on something surprising and epic, but I thought most people really liked DKCR? And what they showed looked really good to me.

Ooooh noooo! Oooooh noooo! DK! Clearly this is a crime against humanity
/sarcasm
. Granted... I'm still lingering for two teams at Retro.

EDIT: *sees link* Ooooh my.

Biggest disappointment of the show. Working on a fucking Donkey Kong game. Nobody gives a shit about Donkey Kong; let Retro go wild. I was so underwhelmed and disappointed by this.

ash_ag

"Michael Kelbaugh (Retro) says that it was hard to decide whether to go with Metroid or not but they felt they had unfinished business w/ dk"

It feels strange they had say on the matter rather than be assigned a Metroid game by Nintendo HQ. DKCR was amazing and I'm sure this will be too, but Metroid is more needed... Looking forward to this, but it's also unsettling we still have no Metroid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom