• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroArch has just released on steam!

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Steam Deck is ready.

Awesome news. I plan to use this heavily with my Steam Deck once it arrives.

Yep. Can't wait.

Steamdeck gonna be so sick

More convenient to use with Steam Deck
Deck is going to be good to go right away:

Dwayne Dancing GIF by MOODMAN

Knightime_X

I've had it added as a "non steam" "game" for a while now for ease of launching. It's kinda a double edged sword that emulation is getting bigger. We're getting more talented people in the scene, the emulators are running better, we're getting more games and better playability, but it's also bringing with it the casuals. As we've seen time and time again, everything gets worse when it's easy enough for casuals to do it. This will be no different.
When did emulation actually get "Worse" because of casuals?
Can you give an example?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Having it on Steam adds a bunch of convenience like having your screenshots in one place, but they need to drop more cores.

A0CC17EDCCB5F2B56A24B22107AFAB5AEE5FFF48
You can download cores manually. I installed snes9x yesterday no problem.
Is this version very limited compared to the standalone app?
Nope, just doesn't have the online downloader.
Mass appeal and ease of use will draw attention from C&D darlings like Nintendo, assuming that they're missing out on money by people using emulators instead of buying their Nintendo Online subs or whatever they're peddling. They'll campaign that emulation = piracy, and enough nitwits will get caught pirating to give them ammo to make even more stringent laws/policies etc.

Remember how weird and fun the internet was before smartphones? How about Facebook when it was for college kids only? Videogames before casualization and pointing out everything 'problematic' about it? Movies before everything was a remake or a sequel?

That's what's going to happen.

I've been thinking about making a thread about this for a while, but for hobbies at least, I think gatekeeping is extremely healthy for the hobby itself.
Yes casuals ruined the internet, but I don't think they can hurt emulation. Nintendo already lost the battle on emulators. They try to take down ROM sites, but new ones pop up all the time. Besides, torrents are the best way to do ROMs.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Finally got around to try Steam's Remote Play Together feature with a friend. Played some Bomberman 93, NBA JAM & Ice Hockey with Retroarch, also some regular PC games like Tekken 7. Both of us pleasantly surprised of how well it it worked. Very good image quality and no noticeable input lag.
Chalk that down as a monster feature for RetroArch on Steam.
Dude. My buddy from school and I can play NHL 97 again even though he’s across the country. I didn’t even think about this.

junguler

Banned
for anyone who is interested to know why they didn't include the core updater here it is, coming from one of the RetroArch developers:
The cores are distributed as DLC, in order to stay within Steam's infrastructure (which was required for us to be on the store). All of the cores provided were given approval by the authors of the core code (with more on the way).

The rest of the assets, aside from thumbnails, (currently not provided) are automatically included within the main RetroArch install.
this also confirms that more cores are one the way.

BigBooper

Has anyone tried just moving their existing Retroarch install into the Steam Retroarch folder to see if it can work once it updates?
So this worked. Still doesn't have the online updater of course after verifying files, but launches the games just fine. If you're looking at an option for Steam Deck, might maintain a regular Retroarch install and just copy over this. Or it might not even be worth it if Steam Deck handles third party apps fine.

BigBooper

Steam Deck is a normal PC. You don't need Steam to install Reatroarch

So you prefer to use an inferior version just because you are to lazy to download a zip file?
Do you have experience with how the new Steam Big Picture Mode included with the Steam Deck will handle importing non-steam games?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Love this! Installed yesterday without a hitch.

capsule_616x353.jpg

For newcomers, Retroarch can look/seem very intimidating. We'll help you out if you need it!

Anyways, it scanned and found my roms. It then automatically sorted them to their proper emulator cores by system and it was basically "press start".

Love this! Installed yesterday without a hitch.

capsule_616x353.jpg

For newcomers, Retroarch can look/seem very intimidating. We'll help you out if you need it!

Anyways, it scanned and found my roms. It then automatically sorted them to their proper emulator cores by system and it was basically "press start".
Where did you put them? For now I've just put both cores and ROMs into /Download, but I'm not sure if there's a "right" place for that.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Where did you put them? For now I've just put both cores and ROMs into /Download, but I'm not sure if there's a "right" place for that.
When you download the cores from the Steam page, it will automatically install them into Retroarch for you. If you mean getting other cores outside of what's
"officially" available, I'm pretty sure the Download folder should work.

Side note, I haven't downloaded any other cores outside what is available so I could be wrong. The roms though, download folder and you're done. Retroarch will sort and match up
cores for you to play them.

Hope this helps?!

BigBooper

The normal installation has a /Cores folder and they work fine there in this too. I don't know how it's handling cloud save stuff. It says I've got too much data for the Steam Cloud, but I don't know which folders it's syncing. Might take some tweaking if you really want that.

Guess this is a good thread to get some help: Can anyone help me get the PCSX2 core to run games in Retroarch? I followed all the steps, created the folders where they need to be and got the BIOS files there too, and have set up video driver options upon multiple versions to try getting them to work. Also did the portable.ini file thing. When I load the core the emulator itself launches no problem into the PS2 system menu.

However, no matter what I do, when I try to load content into the emulator the emulator just hangs on a white screen (I'm running it in Windowed mode) and the content doesn't load. Basically it stops responding. So, I'm forced to shut Retroarch down (the process will hang in Task Manager so I also shut it down there, too). The game I've tried loading is the English patched version of Chulip, btw. Which I'm guessing would require the Japanese BIOS (which I have), however I don't see any way to set the configured BIOS for PCSX2 in Retroarch, so I'm assuming the correct BIOS is chosen automatically?

It isn't a system issue as my laptop is more than capable of running PCSX2, but maybe it's a graphic card issue? FWIW I'm able to run the Saturn Beetle core effortlessly with no crazy setup involved, but that one also defaults to using the dedicated graphics. I assume all cores in Retroarch default to the dedicated/discrete graphics if able, but it's not like the integrated graphics (Iris Xe Max, 96 EUs) are underpowered for anything PS2/GC/OG Xbox or under, based off some videos I've been watching.

Is there anyone who can help me get the PCSX2 core to actually run a game loaded into it?

junguler

Banned
thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best maybe try retroarch subreddit or steam community discussion and they might be able to help you, we also have this thread that might be more active or have more knowledgeable people in it:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Guess this is a good thread to get some help: Can anyone help me get the PCSX2 core to run games in Retroarch? I followed all the steps, created the folders where they need to be and got the BIOS files there too, and have set up video driver options upon multiple versions to try getting them to work. Also did the portable.ini file thing. When I load the core the emulator itself launches no problem into the PS2 system menu.

However, no matter what I do, when I try to load content into the emulator the emulator just hangs on a white screen (I'm running it in Windowed mode) and the content doesn't load. Basically it stops responding. So, I'm forced to shut Retroarch down (the process will hang in Task Manager so I also shut it down there, too). The game I've tried loading is the English patched version of Chulip, btw. Which I'm guessing would require the Japanese BIOS (which I have), however I don't see any way to set the configured BIOS for PCSX2 in Retroarch, so I'm assuming the correct BIOS is chosen automatically?

It isn't a system issue as my laptop is more than capable of running PCSX2, but maybe it's a graphic card issue? FWIW I'm able to run the Saturn Beetle core effortlessly with no crazy setup involved, but that one also defaults to using the dedicated graphics. I assume all cores in Retroarch default to the dedicated/discrete graphics if able, but it's not like the integrated graphics (Iris Xe Max, 96 EUs) are underpowered for anything PS2/GC/OG Xbox or under, based off some videos I've been watching.

Is there anyone who can help me get the PCSX2 core to actually run a game loaded into it?
Can you take a video of you launching it? I just use load content, and then select pcsx2 when it wants the core.

TBH I've only tried Xenosaga 1-3 and SMT 3.

Retroarch hanging after closing with pcsx2 is a known issue.

Last edited:
thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best maybe try retroarch subreddit or steam community discussion and they might be able to help you, we also have this thread that might be more active or have more knowledgeable people in it:

I don't really use Reddit but will read and see what I can find, and put a post in the thread you linked to see if anyone can help. Thanks!

Can you take a video of you launching it? I just use load content, and then select pcsx2 when it wants the core.

TBH I've only tried Xenosaga 1-3 and SMT 3.

Retroarch hanging after closing with pcsx2 is a known issue.

Does Retroarch have a record feature? I don't have any capture equipment or recording software, tho I have PotPlayer which can do a recording that way. Otherwise tho I don't record too often (yet).

I have tried Load Content before as well and then selected the PCSX2 core, but then it just launches into the PCSX2 core environment (the PS2 system menu) where I can go to the Browser, Memory Card, or select Options. Then, when I try to load the content again, I select the .cue file and then it just hangs the emulator at a white screen not responding and I'm forced to close it down.

It could be the game I suppose, but I hope not. What video driver and output driver settings do you have, by chance? And did you do a scan for isos/.cue files or have them in a specific folder in the Retroarch main folder (I haven't done a file database scan yet and have my games in a folder outside of the main Retroarch folder on my drive)?

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don't really use Reddit but will read and see what I can find, and put a post in the thread you linked to see if anyone can help. Thanks!

Does Retroarch have a record feature? I don't have any capture equipment or recording software, tho I have PotPlayer which can do a recording that way. Otherwise tho I don't record too often (yet).

I have tried Load Content before as well and then selected the PCSX2 core, but then it just launches into the PCSX2 core environment (the PS2 system menu) where I can go to the Browser, Memory Card, or select Options. Then, when I try to load the content again, I select the .cue file and then it just hangs the emulator at a white screen not responding and I'm forced to close it down.

It could be the game I suppose, but I hope not. What video driver and output driver settings do you have, by chance? And did you do a scan for isos/.cue files or have them in a specific folder in the Retroarch main folder (I haven't done a file database scan yet and have my games in a folder outside of the main Retroarch folder on my drive)?
Your GPU software should have a recording function.

Use ISOs for pcsx2.

I have my ps2 games in a ps2 folder in my ROMs folder on my D: disk. It isn't in the retroarch folder.

I'm using the current AMD drivers (21.9.2).

I'll record a video for you when I get home.

Last edited:
Finally got around to try Steam's Remote Play Together feature with a friend. Played some Bomberman 93, NBA JAM & Ice Hockey with Retroarch, also some regular PC games like Tekken 7. Both of us pleasantly surprised of how well it it worked. Very good image quality and no noticeable input lag.
Chalk that down as a monster feature for RetroArch on Steam.
Holy shit. That is incredible. PCs man, the creative freedom for this medium. It's astonishing.

Your GPU software should have a recording function.

Use ISOs for pcsx2.

I have my ps2 games in a ps2 folder in my ROMs folder on my D: disk. It isn't in the retroarch folder.

I'm using the current AMD drivers (21.9.2).

I'll record a video for you when I get home.
That'd be very appreciated if you could. FWIW I'm on an Intel system, but the drivers are generally up-to-date. Pretty much same for the Nvidia drivers (the latest driver doesn't sound like anything I need but I might download it just in case).

Do you mean I have to literally use .iso files for PCSX2? Because if that's so then I might know what the issue is. I've been loading the .bin and .cue files directly, didn't think I'd need to make an iso of them :goog_downcast_sweat: .

Dream-Knife

Banned
That'd be very appreciated if you could. FWIW I'm on an Intel system, but the drivers are generally up-to-date. Pretty much same for the Nvidia drivers (the latest driver doesn't sound like anything I need but I might download it just in case).

Do you mean I have to literally use .iso files for PCSX2? Because if that's so then I might know what the issue is. I've been loading the .bin and .cue files directly, didn't think I'd need to make an iso of them :goog_downcast_sweat: .
I don't know if pcsx2 uses bin and cue files, but it works perfectly for me with just a simple iso.

I've got an issue with Retroarch (non-Steam) not showing any 3DS games even after scanning for them. I've downloaded the Citra core inside the software. If I try to manually start a 3DS game I get a white screen for a few seconds before Retroarch shuts down. Every other system I've tried works fine. The roms show as decrypted and .3ds filename.

Any help?

Schmick

When i use the SNES core games like Pilot Wings and Mario Kart do not work.

Pilot wings the map does not load

Mario Kart i do not get further than the Nintendo logo screen at the beginning of the game loading up

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sorry to ask this but is there any advantage vs a standalone RetroArch setup vs a bazillion emulators?

Besides, I always had bad luck using steam and RetroArch together. Hitting the guide button in the controller would both enter the settings menu and activate big picture.
I always have to have steam closed when using RetroArch

Dream-Knife

Banned
Sorry to ask this but is there any advantage vs a standalone RetroArch setup vs a bazillion emulators?

Besides, I always had bad luck using steam and RetroArch together. Hitting the guide button in the controller would both enter the settings menu and activate big picture.
I always have to have steam closed when using RetroArch
Retroarch being on Steam solves the issue of conflict between retroarch and your desktop controller config. I have settings as Start and whatever the select button is called on the xbox controller.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not really, you just have to get used to it like anything else.

The biggest hurdle with GNU/Linux type software is the orientation.

I'd have to agree with Ryu on this one, I've used retroarch a number of times and feel the menu system just is not intuitive in any way and tends to work against you. Loading some roms shouldn't be this hard. Cool program overall, badly designed from end.

Last edited:
Alright so, after going through hell and trying to find one of the required files, I just went ahead and installed standalone PCSX2 and weird thing is, the games launch with no issue whatsoever there. In Retroarch, even tho I put all the files where needed, it still hangs when I try to load content.

But in the standalone PCSX2 the game I tried just launched flawlessly with no issue, and runs stable too. I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of Retroarch but it sucks PS2 doesn't seem to work for me in there, and I already use other emus for PS1, SNES etc. But I'll keep it for Saturn, Dreamcast, PC-FX, 3DO, Gamecube etc. (assuming those cores work...well the Saturn one works but I haven't tried the others yet), and DOS.

Anyone maybe have an idea on what's going on with my Retroarch causing the issue with the PCSX2 core there?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Idk since when exactly, though it happened very recently for sure as I occasionally tested this at various times, but Dreamcast's Test Drive/Le Mans 24 Hours has largely been fixed in Flycast. It runs, plays & looks great, it's only rolling demos and such stuff that still bork the main car off the track.
retroarch_2022_01_09_ajji6.png
retroarch_2022_01_09_fhj2e.png
retroarch_2022_01_09_oljk2.png
retroarch_2022_01_09_6qj11.png
retroarch_2022_01_09_oykg5.png
retroarch_2022_01_09_yujf6.png

Mattias shader as usual. More glitches occur depending on api, with Vulkan the loading screens flicker, with glcore I didn't notice anything. Also, it seems the game unlocks its fps at the end of replays/races/stuff and seems to go 60fps, I wonder if that can be used for the whole game somehow.
Alexios Alexios That game looks better than I remembered, I need to try it sometime (tho for sim racers, I've found using a controller is just a no-go, at least for me. Gonna have to get a decent wheel after all).
It's great for a third party Dreamcast release. Up to 24 cars in applicable tracks, dynamic time of day, varied weather, decent rain, ref(ake)lections, glowy brake discs, large draw distance (though in high res you notice some of it and changing car lod in particular) and a solid 30fps performance:messenger_ok:
F355 Challenge still looks better, it seems to have larger draw distances and less obvious lod switches, a cleaner overall look, higher track and texture quality and the 60fps on top of that is bliss, even without the fancy effects, less cars racing and I recently noticed reflections are weirdly overlaid.
Alright so, after going through hell and trying to find one of the required files, I just went ahead and installed standalone PCSX2 and weird thing is, the games launch with no issue whatsoever there. In Retroarch, even tho I put all the files where needed, it still hangs when I try to load content.

But in the standalone PCSX2 the game I tried just launched flawlessly with no issue, and runs stable too. I'm pretty sure I have the latest version of Retroarch but it sucks PS2 doesn't seem to work for me in there, and I already use other emus for PS1, SNES etc. But I'll keep it for Saturn, Dreamcast, PC-FX, 3DO, Gamecube etc. (assuming those cores work...well the Saturn one works but I haven't tried the others yet), and DOS.

Anyone maybe have an idea on what's going on with my Retroarch causing the issue with the PCSX2 core there?
The PCSX2 core is still quite an early release that only recently got out of the preview alpha or whatever, the stand alone emulator is improved daily with the development builds so it probably will have a huge difference until the former matures and/or reaches a given solid version of the latter.

Last edited:

Teslerum

The PCSX2 core is still quite an early release that only recently got out of the preview alpha or whatever, the stand alone emulator is improved daily with the development builds so it probably will have a huge difference until the former matures and/or reaches a given solid version of the latter.
IMO they jumped the gun when porting the PCSX2 to retroarch. Since then huge strides in terms of portability were made and it only made backporting of improvements harder.

Arguably Retroarch would be better off just starting from scratch on that one.

Alexios Alexios That game looks better than I remembered, I need to try it sometime (tho for sim racers, I've found using a controller is just a no-go, at least for me. Gonna have to get a decent wheel after all).

I've given up on PCSX2 for RetroArch in the meantime, tho I'll try again in the future because I'd like to get trophies/achievements for supported games (if those ever come about). I'm sure the team will sort the compatibility issues out in due time.

Ev1L AuRoN

I absolutely love Retroarch, but if they want to really get traction with the normies they need to streamline their UI. I'm totally ok with it, but a more casual gamer will probably be overwhelmed by it. I'll stick with the standalone version running under Launchbox, but I'm genuinely excited for them and what new features may come from that move.

RavageX

Mass appeal and ease of use will draw attention from C&D darlings like Nintendo, assuming that they're missing out on money by people using emulators instead of buying their Nintendo Online subs or whatever they're peddling. They'll campaign that emulation = piracy, and enough nitwits will get caught pirating to give them ammo to make even more stringent laws/policies etc.

Remember how weird and fun the internet was before smartphones? How about Facebook when it was for college kids only? Videogames before casualization and pointing out everything 'problematic' about it? Movies before everything was a remake or a sequel?

That's what's going to happen.

I've been thinking about making a thread about this for a while, but for hobbies at least, I think gatekeeping is extremely healthy for the hobby itself.
You definitely arent wrong. When games "were for nerds" you had more unique things going on.

Now that everyone plays, a lot of it is dumbed down, graphics are almost cookie cutter with whatever cool trend is going on, and now that people are willing to spend money on all kinds of bs, you see....all kinds of bs. Shark cards, gems and crap....come on.

Top Bottom