• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroArch has just released on steam!

Joyful

I absolutely love Retroarch, but if they want to really get traction with the normies they need to streamline their UI. I'm totally ok with it, but a more casual gamer will probably be overwhelmed by it. I'll stick with the standalone version running under Launchbox, but I'm genuinely excited for them and what new features may come from that move.

the secret F5 button gui

BigBooper

I absolutely love Retroarch, but if they want to really get traction with the normies they need to streamline their UI. I'm totally ok with it, but a more casual gamer will probably be overwhelmed by it. I'll stick with the standalone version running under Launchbox, but I'm genuinely excited for them and what new features may come from that move.
I wish they would. I go through disabling menu options to try to focus it, but you can only do so much.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Has anybody managed to map a dinput flight stick? It's recognized in the devices list, I set it to port 1 for the specific game I want but then it still has the standard xbox inputs listed, which would be fine if I could figure out which input corresponds to which for RA but it seems no inputs work at all.

I mainly wanted to try it with arcade games like Space Harrier and Night Striker, I've tried before but can't get it working. I don't wanna bother with getting some DS4Windows equivalent dinput to xinput software just for that purpose if possible, if only to avoid potential conflicts/issues.

I'm sure I'm technically doing it right, I alternate between my DS4 and Fighting Commander just fine for different cores and games. Surely I'm not the first to want to do this given you can even play DOS games via RA and plenty of the classics would be great with a flight stick?

I'm not using RA via Steam but I'm sure this part of the interface is the same across versions. And it's not like I can wrap my head around Steam's own controller configuration api to use that for said dinput to xinput shenanigans anyway, it seems too weird for me.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anybody here use Wii remotes (or mouse or any similar device overtaking mouse inputs, I imagine it's similar for Sinden etc.) for lightgun games in RetroArch?

I had it setup fine some time ago but atm I can't see any way to map anything but trigger and reload which aren't enough (I need at least Start, if not the d-pad and an extra button, or three, too). The RetroPad Binds menu shows all Gun controls outside those two are blank, trying to map any of the others times out, it doesn't accept any input from any device, mouse, keyboard, gamepads. It used to be fine, I don't think I ever had to map these, just roll with whatever was default and press buttons randomly to figure out what's mapped where, but now default is blank I guess. Idk if it changed with 1.16 or earlier but that's what I use (fresh setup and all so not a settings problem). I use Wii remote with Dolphinbar in mode 2 that just makes it overtake mouse inputs (+ some extra stuff like - is Esc and + is Enter/start etc.) if anybody has that exact setup though I don't think it matters.

I can't remap the trigger and reload to switch them around either mind, so it really doesn't take any Gun input in the RetroPad Binds menu. Yet those work fine in game as they're at the default setting. Edit: well, I made it work by editing the RetroArch config file and adding some basic player 1 gun inputs (dpad directions, trigger, start, and a second button as that's also commonly used (ie Time Crisis pedal). Reload function is not needed, it just fires off screen for most games, you can do that manually. For games without that function then usually reload is the first button too as they're older basic stuff. Others might have a secondary fire there instead (bombs shmup style). Also remapping actually works for player 2 in the RetroPad Binds menu. Oh well, I'm good with this work around for now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom