• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Radius4

That's why giving this kind of instructions doesn't make sense. You don't need the instructions, you need to understand what you're doing.
Anyway, you need to go into the directory that contains the libretro Makefile, so:

- clone the repo
- setup your environment by exporting any environment variables you need
- cd into your folder
- run make with the arguments you need

git clone https://github.com/libretro/vbam-libretro.git
export CFLAGS=”-mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4″
cd vba-libretro/src/libretro
make platform=”armv neon hardfloat” -j4

nkarafo

I'm using RetroArch for a while now and i only have two issues that i cannot fix.

First one is the way it displays MAME games. That is, instead of "Golden Axe" i get a "gaxe" or something like that. Is there a way to have proper names?

Second one is the save files. RetroArch seems to have it's own .srm files for all systems. But they are all incompatible with saves made by other standalone emulators. So, i'm looking for a place or a forum where people share their completed games saves, or at least a way to transfer saves from one emulator to RetroArch.

I'm using RetroArch for a while now and i only have two issues that i cannot fix.

First one is the way it displays MAME games. That is, instead of "Golden Axe" i get a "gaxe" or something like that. Is there a way to have proper names?

Second one is the save files. RetroArch seems to have it's own .srm files for all systems. But they are all incompatible with saves made by other standalone emulators. So, i'm looking for a place or a forum where people share their completed games saves, or at least a way to transfer saves from one emulator to RetroArch.

I've often found the srm files created to work fine in the standalone emulators. As long as I rename them to the same filename the standalone expects.

Radius4

#1, nope not yet
#2, yeah it should be the same as any other SRM file those are portable

nkarafo

Yeah, i suppose it should be compatible with other emulators that have .srm files but in RetroArch all emus generate .srm files. Some other standalone emulators can generate different files like .eep, .mpk, .rtc, .sav, etc. I remember trying to rename some of these to .srm but it didn't work because the files also had different size, not just extension. I remember N64 saves not being compatible for instance. And some SNES emulators have also different sized .srm files, my old SMW2 saves are 32kb but in Retroarch they are 64kb.

Toad King

Banned
Yeah, i suppose it should be compatible with other emulators that have .srm files but in RetroArch all emus generate .srm files. Some other standalone emulators can generate different files like .eep, .mpk, .rtc, .sav, etc. I remember trying to rename some of these to .srm but it didn't work because the files also had different size, not just extension. I remember N64 saves not being compatible for instance. And some SNES emulators have also different sized .srm files, my old SMW2 saves are 32kb but in Retroarch they are 64kb.

SRAM saves in RetroArch saves are usually the same format as the emulator core with two differences:

1. They always have the extension .srm
2. They have a fixed file size across all saves on that core. Any unused space is usually padded with null or garbage bytes. The core tells the frontend how many bytes it needs and the rest are discarded on loading.

Rich!

I've been able to exchange my save files between a Super and Mega Everdrive to Retroarch and back with no issues.

Posted a bug report and tried to ask on the libretro forums but 24hrs later and my confirmed account still has no posting privileges.

Using retroarch-wii-1.0.0.x.nightly-20141126.zip. Wii is set to 480i, and outputting component to a Sony PVM-14L2.

1.Any 240p resolution that doesn't begin with 640x results in a garbled GUI, but the game underneath displays at the correct frequency. For instance, using the PCE Mednafen core set to 512x232 results in a distorted and unreadable GUI (game is fine), while on 1.0.0.2 it was "pixel perfect".

2. When setting the video resolution, the resolutions no longer switch on the fly but require a button press to enact the change. Is this intended behaviour? It was much easier to spot compatible resolutions on my CRT when they changed as soon as selected...

Radius4

I've read your bug but I dunno about that nightly, it's not produced by us. Hopefully I have some time to do proper Wii nightlies this weekend, if it still happens there then I'll ask them to take a second look.

We don't have your exact environment of course..

What is the best retro controller for PC? I'm using my dual shock but kinda want to get a snes, genesis type controller for my PC.

Preferably a cheap one too.

I've read your bug but I dunno about that nightly, it's not produced by us. Hopefully I have some time to do proper Wii nightlies this weekend, if it still happens there then I'll ask them to take a second look.

Thanks. It seems the nightly I was referencing is very out of date, and that exact issue had already been flagged. I am going to try to compile a new one myself (this is uncharted territory!) and will report back.

Giever

What is the best retro controller for PC? I'm using my dual shock but kinda want to get a snes, genesis type controller for my PC.

Preferably a cheap one too.

If you want a good SNES USB controller for PC, one of these has worked perfectly for me for years now. To the point that I wish there was an easy way to plug it into my actual SNES, lol.

Lettuce

Is it possible to adjust the standard scanline shader thats included with Retroarch? If the current scanline shader is the standard it would be nice to have a light and also darker scanline shader. Can this easily be edited to achieve this?

EasyMode

Is it possible to adjust the standard scanline shader thats included with Retroarch? If the current scanline shader is the standard it would be nice to have a light and also darker scanline shader. Can this easily be edited to achieve this?

Sure, SCANLINE_SINE_COMP_B controls the scanline darkness (higher is darker).

Have any luck with shaders on the Pi2?

@Radius4 Anyone with an account over on the http://libretro.com forums know why after clicking the confirmation email and waiting 3 days I still don't have any privileges to reply to existing threads? I've contacted support twice with no response.

I've run into a problem trying to compile the new nightly for Wii and don't know where to turn...

Lettuce

Sure, SCANLINE_SINE_COMP_B controls the scanline darkness (higher is darker).

Have any luck with shaders on the Pi2?

Not a great deal sadly only ones that dont seem to effect fps/performance are...

standard scanline
lcd3x
fx-aa
snes-hires-blend
phosphor

Anything else seems to knock the fps down to 45, i think your one is around 48fps which is a shame.

EDIT: Hmmm the glsl format of shaders dont seem to have the SCANLINE_SINE_COMP_B command. Heres the scanline.glsl file if you could have a look and see if you can see the command??....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe2gewcqsv4f6qm/scanline.glsl?dl=0

Radius4

@Radius4 Anyone with an account over on the http://libretro.com forums know why after clicking the confirmation email and waiting 3 days I still don't have any privileges to reply to existing threads? I've contacted support twice with no response.

I've run into a problem trying to compile the new nightly for Wii and don't know where to turn...

What's your username?, I can get you activated

EasyMode

Not a great deal sadly only ones that dont seem to effect fps/performance are...

Anything else seems to knock the fps down to 45, i think your one is around 48fps which is a shame.

EDIT: Hmmm the glsl format of shaders dont seem to have the SCANLINE_SINE_COMP_B command. Heres the scanline.glsl file if you could have a look and see if you can see the command??....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xe2gewcqsv4f6qm/scanline.glsl?dl=0

I'm kinda surprised crt-hyllian-lq doesn't run full speed. Do you know what fps it gets? Also, just out of curiosity, can you tell me if sharp-bilinear (in the same folder as scanline) runs full speed?

I believe the line you're looking for is:

_a0019 = vec2( 5.00000007E-002, 1.50000006E-001)*_TMP1;

It's the second number (1.50000006E-001) you want to adjust. Right now it's 0.15

Knurek

@Radius4, are there any plans to have achievement support? RetroAchievements.org is a great idea, but the sole fact that they use crappy emulators disqualifies it instantly in my mind.

Radius4

Nope, I don't think any of us is interested. Also it requires a login to keep track of stuff and things like that. I reckon they could be interested if there was a local database like the libretrodb thing we have now.

Palom

Is the "Invert mouse Y-axis" option in Genesis Plus GX broken, or am I not using it correctly? Regardless if it's set to "yes" or "no", the mouse controls the same in-game.

Lettuce

I'm kinda surprised crt-hyllian-lq doesn't run full speed. Do you know what fps it gets? Also, just out of curiosity, can you tell me if sharp-bilinear (in the same folder as scanline) runs full speed?

Oddly both of these shaders arent included in the RPi2 Retropie image....do you know if these 2 shaders have been converted to the glsl format at all?

EasyMode

Oddly both of these shaders arent included in the RPi2 Retropie image....do you know if these 2 shaders have been converted to the glsl format at all?

Here you go:

crt-hyllian-lq.glsl
sharp-bilinear.glsl

Plus another one I just slapped together by combining the scanline and sharp-bilinear shaders:

sharp-scanline.glsl

Use linear filtering of course. Here's what it should look like:

1qxu93.png

292u2e.png

3bouhg.png

Here's the cg version if anyone wants it: http://pastebin.com/6Qn0vKeR

So what would be the best piece of hardware to buy to run Retroarch with believable CRT filters? ie: something like a Retron (in concept, not power) but without the lies and bullshit and enough juice to run those sweet filters.

Lettuce

Radius4, would it be possible to add options to the overlay menu to not only scale an overlay but to alter its position vertically and horizontally as well ??

EasyMode

Ok have tried the 3 shaders on my RPi2 device running Megadrive....

crt-hyllian-lq - 49fps
sharp-scanline - 51fps
sharp-bilinear - ranges between 60fps up to 92fps

not sure whats going on with the sharp-bilinear shader!!??

Is this with integer scaling on or off? They might make the cut with it on. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

What are people using for controllers on the Wii? Is there support for USB controllers like the 360 pad, or the sixaxis/dualshock?

Do people stick with the classic controller (pro)? I've got one, but it's sealed with a copy of Monster Hunter Tri that I think will be better off staying sealed. (thoughts?)

How bad are the eBay knockoffs for classic controller pros? I can't believe how cheap they are!

Of course I suppose it's possible we'll get support for the Wii U Classic Controller which would be swell.

ILoveBish

What are people using for controllers on the Wii? Is there support for USB controllers like the 360 pad, or the sixaxis/dualshock?

Do people stick with the classic controller (pro)? I've got one, but it's sealed with a copy of Monster Hunter Tri that I think will be better off staying sealed. (thoughts?)

How bad are the eBay knockoffs for classic controller pros? I can't believe how cheap they are!

Of course I suppose it's possible we'll get support for the Wii U Classic Controller which would be swell.

I use modded TVC sticks, and have CC Pros.

Knurek

Are savestates in Mednafen_PSX core broken?
Retroarch does state that they are experimental when enabling, true, but all I'm getting is a hard crash in the emulator as soon as the core leaves the BIOS screen.
Pity, the autosave/load feature is a godsend for playing just about any game...

//EDIT: Nevermind, updated to the latest nightly build, savestates work there.
What doesn't is xmb GUI - I need to either use RGUI or the plain GL one. Any hints on what am I missing?

Radius4

Are savestates in Mednafen_PSX core broken?
Retroarch does state that they are experimental when enabling, true, but all I'm getting is a hard crash in the emulator as soon as the core leaves the BIOS screen.
Pity, the autosave/load feature is a godsend for playing just about any game...

//EDIT: Nevermind, updated to the latest nightly build, savestates work there.
What doesn't is xmb GUI - I need to either use RGUI or the plain GL one. Any hints on what am I missing?

If you use the nightlies as is it should work, if you are just integrating the .exe into your setup you need to download assets and put them in the asset directory.

http://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/

KainXVIII

I did some shader comparisons a little upthread if you want to take a look, but I personally like lcd-cgwg for GBA games.

Thanks! What about core for emulation or it does not matter for gba?
UPD - RetroArch's VBA-Next is based off an older revision of VBA-M with added speedhacks and tweaks, making it a bit less accurate in some respects, though it fixes a few games such as Advance Wars 2. =(

Nope. It's closed source so it won't ever become one either.
But maybe epsxe can support same shaders as retroarch?

Roshin

I'm slowly working my way through this thread and trying to get to grips with Retroarch. Despite having used emulators for many years, I find this particular learning curve to be like a brick wall, but I suppose I'll get there in the end.

One question, are there any cores for C64 emulation?

Top Bottom