• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Radius4

So is that in the nightly build you posted or is it something coming soon? I can't see it anywhere.

But I see that's per game, is there already a per core input option? Basically so I don't have to go and remap the buttons when switching between NES and SNES.

It's different from the old option since it only remap core/game controls without affecting the gui. You can save a core remap or a game remap. If either of those is found it will be loaded automatically. Game remap has precedence of exists.

It's under options/core input remapping and yes it is in the nightlies.

Damn, all my shader and overlay options have been reset after the update i need to create them all from the beginning... :(

I thought the program was more "portable" nvm though.

Edit: A couple of issues

-Every time i load a rom it asks me to extract it. In previous version i would just press the button and load the rom without extra confirmations.

-Every time an overlay is enabled, the mouse cursor appears. This was also in the older version. Not good for couch gaming as you need to move it away with the mouse or disable the overlays altogether.

Some configs are bound to break. It's been over a year since 1.0.0.2.

Why are you using overlays on PC?

There is an archive setting on settings. RA now allows to load multi-game zips. If you have those the browse feature is really useful.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Why not?

I mean, all these old consoles are 4:3 and we play them on my widescreen TVs. Its something to fill the blanks, at least for the handheld consoles (the handheld overlays look great).

Radius4 probably thought that you were using button overlays, which are very common in mobile devices but completely useless on PC. But I agree: border overlays rock. I even made some customs ones for myself to use with each different core :)

Radius4

Hey, is there a reason that the mednafen psx core isn't updated to .38? Not stable enough? Cheers.

Busy with other things, mednafen might be reported altogether

Why not?

I mean, all these old consoles are 4:3 and we play them on my widescreen TVs. Its something to fill the blanks, at least for the handheld consoles (the handheld overlays look great).

Well there is a border shader that is more flexible and looks better...
Overlays as borders are an afterthought, they were meant for input so... there is a cursor

vanty

It's different from the old option since it only remap core/game controls without affecting the gui. You can save a core remap or a game remap. If either of those is found it will be loaded automatically. Game remap has precedence of exists.

It's under options/core input remapping and yes it is in the nightlies.

Under Options I have Core Options, Core Cheat Options, Video Options, and Shader Options. I thought maybe it'd be within Core Options but that just has a few visual things.

Radius4

You need to load a game for input remapping to appear.
Maybe your nightly is too old? or maybe your core doesn't have input descriptors. What core are you using?

vanty

I'm using the nightly you posted a link to yesterday. I'm using Nestopia and noticed mine said 1.46-WIP while yours was 1.47 so I did the update core thing and it's changed to 1.47-WIP and now the input options have appeared.

nkarafo

Remapping N64 games is a bit weird or at least i haven't figured it out. I'm trying to change them so the buttons of my 360 controller are on a similar place as the N64 one. That means N64 "A" is on XBOX "A" and "B" is on XBOX "X".

However, when i do this the analog controls get messed up. "Right" and "Left" no longer work on either stick. I have to place the buttons on the default place for the analogs to work... The only way to fix this is to change the controls in the UI options but that changes the UI controls also (like it did before the controls per core was introduced).

For the other cores it works great. However it would be better to have a save "per console" option instead of "per core". Because we use some cores for multiple consoles like Genesis GX plus which is used for 4 consoles. And although Genesis and Sega CD can have the same controls, Master System and Game Gear need a different config (at least IMO).

The core updating is very convenient by the way.

Well there is a border shader that is more flexible and looks better... Overlays as borders are an afterthought, they were meant for input so... there is a cursor
Thanks for the heads up, i will look into it.

Radius4

The buttons on the left are the real controller buttons.
The buttons on the right are retropad. Think XBOX controller with SNES YX/BA layout.

That said, this only works for basic retropad only at this moment. No retropad with analogs but we're working on this atm.

And sorry there is no console concept in libretro/RA, that's an edge case... Anyway configs from one core might not work for another so it would break elsewhere so that would be an issue.

The frontend is core agnostic... as in it doesn't catter to core specific functionality...

if a master core config doesn't work for you, you can always do game overrides for the other games. The functionaility is already there for 90% of the cases (ie, we have per-core and per-game covered), the other 10% would be up to the user.

Radius4

It seems analog remapping won't happen anytime soon.
I spent many hours last night trying to get it to work but I didn't find a way to do it with the API as it is.

I had some ideas to support additional controller types since the retropad isn't ideal for everything (even though it covers most bases) but none of them were accepted.

Let's wait till 1.1 is out, API changes are planned after that.

Awakened

I had some ideas to support additional controller types since the retropad isn't ideal for everything (even though it covers most bases) but none of them were accepted.
I've thought about how hard it would be to map a lot of Wii games in the Dolphin core whenever that gets working. Classic controller and sideways Wiimote games wouldn't be too difficult to have profiles for, but stuff like Super Paper Mario require extra complexity. In stand alone for that game I have the pointer hidden unless I'm holding down a trigger. When it's unhidden it activates a mode where you can look for hidden stuff. You'd probably need an extra GUI for that core to map functions like that to the RetroPad, or a new API that allows for different controller types.

Guys I need some help. I am trying out many shaders that look really cool in the screenshots in the forum, but it seems like when I apply the shader, nothing happens. I don't see any of the cool effects. On the other hander, shaders that come included with Retroarch work fine. Any ideas? Thanks!

For example, I was trying some of these with no luck: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153441437&postcount=1728

What'd you do with the common-shaders package when you downloaded it?

Hmmm I assumed it came included with Retroarch.

Ah, okay, the main site used to have two downloads, one which didn't include them, but it's only the full downloads now.

What steps did you take to try to enable them? You should just be able to load one of the .cgp files from the shader options and have it apply to the currently loaded core.

Aku-Audi

After talking to CaH4e3, there seems to be a few games that doesn't work with the FCEUMM version that Retroarch uses. Games like Master Fighter IV and a few other weird pirates with weird mappers give an error and crash. They work in the latest standalone version of FCEUMM though. Not a big deal but they are fun novelty experiences.

JDiFz1p.jpg

By the way, unrelated to anything: has anyone else tried the ScummVM core? If so, did you get weird constant hangs once a game started up?

Ah, okay, the main site used to have two downloads, one which didn't include them, but it's only the full downloads now.

What steps did you take to try to enable them? You should just be able to load one of the .cgp files from the shader options and have it apply to the currently loaded core.

Ok, I now downloaded the file with with the complete shader library. I have loaded the .cpg file in presets, but it doesn't seem to be working for all shaders, for example it doesn't work with Royale is not working.

Radius4

Try setting your video driver to GL (or D3D) if it's on GL
Anyway, shaders are GPU dependent, some work better on NVidia, some better on AMD, and surprisingly some shaders work better on Intel.

Royale works fine on NVidia/GL for me.

Dizzy-4U

Question regarding the PSX core:

I noticed that several games have sound issues. The PSX bios sound keeps echoing after it fades out and some games have some sort of stuttery sound in some spots.

It doesn't happen in all games, just a few. I set that the games are loded to the ram first and that seems to have helped a little bit.

Am I missing an option in the core to fix this? My PC is pretty decent, I don't think it's a hardware limitation.

Wow, that looks really nice. And the VMU works!

nkarafo

Is there any way to improve Yabause's performance? I mean i have a i5 4670 and every game lags horribly on the emulator.

Also, is there a way to force vsync in 4DO?

Thanks in advance.

Awakened

Is there any way to improve Yabause's performance? I mean i have a i5 4670 and every game lags horribly on the emulator.
I overclocked my 2500k to 4.2ghz last night and got PDS running full speed with no frameskip and hard sync frames 1. Plus crt-easymode running on top of it. It's also sensitive to your Windows control panel power options, so setting that to High Performance may help if you're already clocked high enough.

nkarafo

I overclocked my 2500k to 4.2ghz last night and got PDS running full speed with no frameskip and hard sync frames 1. Plus crt-easymode running on top of it. It's also sensitive to your Windows control panel power options, so setting that to High Performance may help if you're already clocked high enough.
Unfortunately, i don't have the "K" version of the processor so i can only go 3.8 GHz (turbo mode or whatever it's called).

Is the emulator so slow that needs 4+ Ghz to run properly?

Awakened

Unfortunately, i don't have the "K" version of the processor so i can only go 3.8 GHz (turbo mode or whatever it's called).

Is the emulator so slow that needs 4+ Ghz to run properly?
Seems like it, though it's partly due to the core only supporting software rendering. You could try the stand alone version of Yabause from their official site and turn on GL rendering to see if that runs full speed for you. There have been some posts on the RA forums about redoing the core to support GL, but it doesn't seem like the devs want to prioritize that right now.

nkarafo

Seems like it, though it's partly due to the core only supporting software rendering. You could try the stand alone version of Yabause from their official site and turn on GL rendering to see if that runs full speed for you. There have been some posts on the RA forums about redoing the core to support GL, but it doesn't seem like the devs want to prioritize that right now.
Alright, thanks for the answers.

SSJLuffy

Sooo... are there any guide on how to set this up on a mac? I literally have no idea what I'm doing lol....

No idea where to put bios and stuff.

Anywhere I can download something that's already pre-configured?

@.@

Rich!

Sooo... are there any guide on how to set this up on a mac? I literally have no idea what I'm doing lol....

No idea where to put bios and stuff.

Anywhere I can download something that's already pre-configured?

@.@

I really need to redo the OP

I will try and put time aside later for it

petran79

Banned
In Ubuntu Vivid I installed the libretro libraries, yet the PPA has not retroarch for this version yet. Or can I install the older versions?

EasyMode

Radius, have you checked your PM?

I can't reset my Libretro password :(

Edit: The forum specifically, I was able to reset/login to WordPress.

meppi

Tried installing this on my Wii, but every time I go into the homebrew channel and click on the Retroarch button, the screen just goes black and I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to turn the system off.

Tried with several builds (nightly and stable) and always get the same thing. Any help? :(

Rich!

Tried installing this on my Wii, but every time I go into the homebrew channel and click on the Retroarch button, the screen just goes black and I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds to turn the system off.

Tried with several builds (nightly and stable) and always get the same thing. Any help? :(

Newest nightly build works fine for me.

You have copied the retroarch system folder to the root of the SD card, yes?

meppi

Ah crap! Could it be this simple?
I just put in a new 64GB card instead of my 2GB one since I only used the Gecko loader to boot ExciteBots and Reginleiv on my PAL Wii before.

So I put the folder into my apps folder, not in my root folder.

Gonna try this out right now.

meppi

Hmm, when I put the RA folder in the root of the SD card, it doesn't even show up in the home-brew channel. :-/

So I'm guessing it should go in the apps folder after all?

I think I'm gonna call it a night. Been trying to get this to work all night and it's already 4AM over here. :(

Rich!

Hmm, when I put the RA folder in the root of the SD card, it doesn't even show up in the home-brew channel. :-/

So I'm guessing it should go in the apps folder after all?

I think I'm gonna call it a night. Been trying to get this to work all night and it's already 4AM over here. :(

Hang on...not sure what you're doing here.

The RETROARCH folder with all the cores and settings goes into your SD root. In the apps folder goes the folder for the homebrew channel that includes boot.dol, the icon and XML - nothing else.

They are two separate folders. You seem to have only set up the one.

meppi

Hang on...not sure what you're doing here.

The RETROARCH folder with all the cores and settings goes into your SD root. In the apps folder goes the folder for the homebrew channel that includes boot.dol, the icon and XML - nothing else.

They are two separate folders. You seem to have only set up the one.

Guess I'm not good at this at all. :-/
So confused.
On the Wiki it says this:

Copy the entire directory (retroarch-wii) to your SD card in your 'apps' directory. Start up the Homebrew Channel and start up RetroArch Wii from there.
On first startup, RetroArch will create a folder in the root of your storage device called 'retroarch'. All RetroArch configuration files are stored here.
You can now select a ROM that this core supports and load it in the Filebrowser.

When I do this, I see RetroArch when I start the Homebrew channel.
But once I see the load bar for just a split second, the screen goes black and stays that way.

If I put the entire retroarch directory to the root of my SD card and then start the home-brew channel, tetrarch doesn't show up...

This is on a 4.3E system if that makes any difference.

Edit: Ah crap. I think I found the problem.
My SD card seems to have been screwed up. I think I'm missing some folders that are needed to boot certain things.

I wonder if I should just go through the whole home-brew thing again from the start to get everything back to normal...

meppi

right, I was wrong.

1. Go to SD:\apps and create a folder called retroarch-wii
2. extract everything in the 7zip archive to that folder
3. load it via homebrew channel

sorted

And still, I can't get it to work.
Everything else works on my Wii, just not this. :(

With the home-brew browser, I was able to directly download and iinstall an old version to my wii without using my computer and that one does work. This is version 0.9.7.1 which doesn't have all that great support wise.

When I download any of the stable or nightly builds and extract them to the apps folder, they just don't work.
I see them in the home-brew channel but when I click them, the screen either stays black and I have to hardreset my Wii or the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and boots me back to the home-brew channel.

I did read that using a Mac can make the folder corrupt by creating invisible files, but I've downloaded InVisible, to make those show up so i could delete them.
And the only ones I come across are the regular thrash files, no .dol invisible ones.

This is on a launch Wii btw, no idea if that makes any difference at all. :-/

If I could just download a new bild directly to my Wii like I did with that 0.9.7.1 one, I have a feeling it might actually work. :(

Robin64

I also had Retroarch just make the console display a black screen and need powering off by removing the power cable. And like you, everything else I ever try on there works fine, from Nintendont to save file managers.

Never bothered trying to fix it because I just use the PC with HDMI out to the telly.

meppi

Were you by any chance using a Mac to copy the content over to your SD card, or even an external HDD?

I'm asking because that certainly seemed to be my problem as I just was able to fix it and finally get it to work! :D

Using that other application to delete those hidden files didn't to the job.
So I followed the advice on the tetrarch forum and bought this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/optimusb/id414503749?mt=12
It's only 99 cents and deleted hidden files on a USB card and then immediately unmount it, so you don't accidentally open it back up and create new ones.

Now everything is running smoothly and I'm finally able to play Space Bomber and BagMan again after 32 years. (Never used any other emulators before besides official ones like those retro compilations or Virtual Console ones)

How sometimes something this simple can take so long to figure out....

Robin64

Were you by any chance using a Mac to copy the content over to your SD card, or even an external HDD?

[snip]

I use a Mac, yeah.

I also tried the first method to delete hidden files, but with no success.

Fantastic how the new app works, though, I shall nab it.

I wonder why other Wii apps don't suffer the same fate..

meppi

That's what threw me off as well for a couple of days.

It just didn't make any sense.
Anyway, glad this is finally solved.

richisawesome, you might want to put this in the OP as I'm sure there are others trying this out and just giving up when the system crashes time and again.

Rich!

yeah...I need to re-do the OP entirely. I've been just far too busy with other things

will get on it this weekend, I hope.

Top Bottom