• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Hyllian

Ah right so that gets around RetroArch-Phoenix.exe not being able to load more than 1 shader then?. What's the deal with RetroArch-Phoenix.exe and RetroArch.exe why have 2 executables?, RetroArch seems alot more versatile but does allow you to play psx games??

I invite you to ask the retroarch developers at their forum. I just develop some shaders compatible with it and only use the PS3 RA version. I've never used any other Retroarch.

Lettuce

Black border is not part of the image

cropped (1.12:1)
igDp2G4PPNN2Q.png

correct (1.33:1)
ibxH0iCQfwO5AX.png

Is there anyway to get these CRT shaders to work in mame, HLSL just doesnt seem to produce such please scanlines CRT curved effect as the above picture!??

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
How did u achieve that using the HLSL settings?
I edited the DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
These have taken me sometime lol But I'm very happy with the results. If you want the file I'm using for those images let me know ;)

And this is one of the other shaders i use with RetroArch fb_alpha:

Lettuce

I edited the DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
These have taken me sometime lol But I'm very happy with the results. If you want the file I'm using for those images let me know ;)

And this is one of the other shaders i use with RetroArch fb_alpha:

Yes please! This is what i currently use....

I was pointed towards a modded post.fx file that adds the rounded corner to the screen, just need to set

curvature 0.15
pincushion 0.2

in the hlsl settings in mame.ini?

i can send ya the link for this if you need it also!?

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Yes please! This is what i currently use....

I was pointed towards a modded post.fx file that adds the rounded corner to the screen, just need to set

curvature 0.15
pincushion 0.2

in the hlsl settings in mame.ini?

i can send ya the link for this if you need it also!?
here are the settings i used for those images:
#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable 1
hlslpath hlsl
shadow_mask_alpha 0.03
shadow_mask_texture aperture.png
shadow_mask_x_count 512
shadow_mask_y_count 384
shadow_mask_usize 0.125
shadow_mask_vsize 0.125
oversample_x 1.0
oversample_y 1.0
curvature 0.05
screen_scale_top 1.0
screen_scale_bottom 1.0
pincushion 0.05
scanline_alpha 0.73
scanline_size 1.0
scanline_bright_scale .65
scanline_bright_offset 0.6
scanline_jitter 0.10
scanline_Darkness 1.00
defocus 1.100000,1.100000
red_converge_x -0.4
red_converge_y -0.7
green_converge_x 0.0
green_converge_y 0.0
blue_converge_x 0.0
blue_converge_y 0.0
red_radial_converge_x 0.0
red_radial_converge_y 0.0
green_radial_converge_x 0.0
green_radial_converge_y 0.0
blue_radial_converge_x 0.0
blue_radial_converge_y 0.0
red_from_r 1.0
red_from_g 0.0
red_from_b 0.0
green_from_r 0.0
green_from_g 1.0
green_from_b 0.0
blue_from_r 0.0
blue_from_g 0.0
blue_from_b 1.0
saturation 1.0
red_offset 0.0
green_offset 0.0
blue_offset 0.0
red_scale 1.1
green_scale 1.1
blue_scale 1.1
red_power 2.2
green_power 2.2
blue_power 2.2
red_floor 0.05
green_floor 0.05
blue_floor 0.05
red_phosphor_life 0.45
green_phosphor_life 0.45
blue_phosphor_life 0.45
yiq_enable 0
yiq_w 4.1887902047863909846168578443727
yiq_a 0.5
yiq_b 0.5
yiq_fsc 1.5
yiq_fsc_scale 0.5
yiq_phase_count 2
saturation 1.50

Just make a backup of your .ini file and replace with mine ;)
And send me your file setting for the shot above ;)

Mesoian

Granted, I've barely just scratched the surface with this thing, but:

-Can you have different controller layouts for different cores? Having the same face button setup for genesis and super nintendo is counterproductive
-Is there any way to scroll down menus quickly? Using arrow keys or just a controller makes the process of rom loading take forever

It could be a really cool piece of software, but it also seems to need a lot of user time to iron out personal preferences.

Awakened

-Can you have different controller layouts for different cores? Having the same face button setup for genesis and super nintendo is counterproductive
Yes, by creating separate cfg files for each core. Then use a command line parameter to load the config you want. You can create shortcuts or batch files with that parameter to quickly launch into RetroArch with different configs. There should be a post in the thread that has steps to do that if you've never done anything like that before.
-Is there any way to scroll down menus quickly? Using arrow keys or just a controller makes the process of rom loading take forever
I don't think there is any way to make that faster in RetroArch's RGUI browser, but you could just use a frontend with faster scrolling options like HyperSpin or XBMC to launch into it. I haven't tried XBMC, but with HyperSpin you can specify the command line options you want per system, which makes it a bit easier to use than the batch file method.

Adam Blue

I appear to have got it to work now....well sort of. I was trying to changed the shader through the retroarch.exe and not retroarch-phoenix.exe, when loading a game through retroarch-phoenix and selecting a sharder then all shaders with the .shader extension show up!. But i have noticed as soon as i enable the curved shader the dispay is letter boxed and doesnt fill the screen on the vertical!?

ibe4UVfnhtb5Ce.jpg

I'm getting this too, only with SNES. Only with the crt awesome shader - any other comparable?

Also can't get 360 analog sticks to work. They have been mapped, and 'dual sticks' has been selected. I use pad with Joy2key, natively, etc.

pompidu

Can someone please tell me exactly what bios I need for this medafen psx emulator? I can't find an answer that actually works on the official forum.

Edit: Disregard

MadSexual

Can someone tell me how to write an overlay config? I can't seem to find a premade one to get the borders up and running. Or am I completely misunderstanding something? This is incredibly frustrating.

EDIT: Got it. No need for an overlay config. Everything uses a border CG shader. I feel dumb, but a little smarter now.

Icarus

Can someone tell me how to write an overlay config? I can't seem to find a premade one to get the borders up and running. Or am I completely misunderstanding something? This is incredibly frustrating.
EDIT: Got it. No need for an overlay config. Everything uses a border CG shader. I feel dumb, but a little smarter now.

Sadly, I'm not as sharp as you... I can't figure this out. I see the overlay field in input settings, but I'm not sure where to put the pngs and have them reference any config files.

Alternatively, if the borders are actually shaders, how do you get the scanline/crt shaders to run at the same time as the borders are there.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't some huge FAQ somewhere on all of this. Seems like a great idea for a website or something. ;)

Guys, I've searched everywhere and I can't find an answer on how you get these borders to work. I can get shaders to work but borders show nothing. Does anyone have an example I can use?

Regards

Incredibly Frustrated.

:D

Rich!

Guys, I've searched everywhere and I can't find an answer on how you get these borders to work. I can get shaders to work but borders show nothing. Does anyone have an example I can use?

Regards

Incredibly Frustrated.

:D

Hey. I'm back, I'll try to upload a complete set and tutorial later.

I understand I've been awol for a while, but I've been really unwell. I also fixed the GBA border, and you can see that on my YouTube channel.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey. I'm back, I'll try to upload a complete set and tutorial later.

I understand I've been awol for a while, but I've been really unwell. I also fixed the GBA border, and you can see that on my YouTube channel.

Good to have you back :)

... now can we get that trinitron border?!
and how about the street fighter cabinet?
You're amazing.

Rich!

Right, here's the folder with the borders I made. Bear in mind a few things

- Designed for 1080p
- The SNES borders are designed for the BSNES core in 4:3. They will not scale correctly for SNES9x.
- The CRT borders are designed for the BSNES core in 4:3 with cwfg's curved CRT shader - this can be found earlier on in this thread. If you try it with any other core apart from BNES, it will not work properly.
- The GBA border is designed to be used with the VBA core and the handheld LCD shader in the shaders page posted earlier in this thread. It will not scale correctly unless you have both.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89ufa3v2te6i3uf/borders.zip

To install - unload the folder into your retroarch folder (it's called glassy-gba because that's what the original overlay I used was called). To set up a border in retroarch itself, go to Input Settings and then navigate to it as an overlay. boom.

or if you want to have it as a permanent thing, you can go to control settings in retroarch phoenix, and select it as an overlay from there. you can combine it with a shader (crt for example) in the graphics options.

Rich!

Anyone had any joy running Mupen64plus core? seems to be an ini file issue but I can't see any related to the core.

Just search for the rice plugin INI for mupen. It's easy to find on google. place it into your retroarch folder.

Just a heads up, it's pretty crappy.

MrRetrodreaming

Neo Member
Right, here's the folder with the borders I made. Bear in mind a few things

- Designed for 1080p
- The SNES borders are designed for the BSNES core in 4:3. They will not scale correctly for SNES9x.
- The CRT borders are designed for the BSNES core in 4:3 with cwfg's curved CRT shader - this can be found earlier on in this thread. If you try it with any other core apart from BNES, it will not work properly.
- The GBA border is designed to be used with the VBA core and the handheld LCD shader in the shaders page posted earlier in this thread. It will not scale correctly unless you have both.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/89ufa3v2te6i3uf/borders.zip

To install - unload the folder into your retroarch folder (it's called glassy-gba because that's what the original overlay I used was called). To set up a border in retroarch itself, go to Input Settings and then navigate to it as an overlay. boom.

or if you want to have it as a permanent thing, you can go to control settings in retroarch phoenix, and select it as an overlay from there. you can combine it with a shader (crt for example) in the graphics options.
Any chance you could make me one in 720P ;)

So I downloaded and ran it. It got up to the gui. All I could do then was move up and down in the menu and close the window. Pressing Enter or Space does nothing? Is there anything else I need to get?

Meesh

This sounds incredible, and I'm a customization phreak so +1 there... I haven't read everything through just yet but do you Photoshop images and import them?

Awakened

So I downloaded and ran it. It got up to the gui. All I could do then was move up and down in the menu and close the window. Pressing Enter or Space does nothing? Is there anything else I need to get?
With the new megapack version released today, you'll want to run the joyconfig program that comes with it first to set up your controls. Then whatever you set as A will act as accept and B will be cancel in the menu.

With the new megapack version released today, you'll want to run the joyconfig program that comes with it first to set up your controls. Then whatever you set as A will act as accept and B will be cancel in the menu.

Well, even after configuring my Logitech RumblePad 2, I was unable to do anything with it. All I could do was move the cursor up and down with the arrow keys and push the escape button. Am I just not using the right controller or something?

Meesh

So if I'm running retroarch on Wii, what file path do I use to enable shaders/borders? :) I'd like to create my own and if they look good host them for gaffers.
Edit: under video settings there's a "config" but nothing to suggest a path to the borders... Out of luck or am I missing something?
Edit again: nvm, just dl Retroarch for PC, Wii version doesn't have near the same options...guess I'll be hooking up my PC to the tv. :(

Lettuce

Which megapack, url please?

Awakened

Well, even after configuring my Logitech RumblePad 2, I was unable to do anything with it. All I could do was move the cursor up and down with the arrow keys and push the escape button. Am I just not using the right controller or something?
It looks like just running joyconfig isn't enough, it has to be run with a few command line arguments. Here's some info from the readme for it:

Code:
=======
Input
=======

If you have an xinput-supported gamepad, you should not need to configure input at all. It should work as expected.
If you want to configure input for obscure systems which don't map well to the RetroPad,
it is recommended you create an autoconfig for your device.

retroarch-joyconfig.exe -a autoconfig/yourpad.cfg

Follow the instructions on-screen.
You can also configure input directly and update retroarch.cfg, but this is not recommended.

retroarch-joyconfig.exe -i retroarch.cfg -o retroarch.cfg

To configure some of the most relevant hotkeys (save state/load state/RGUI menu toggle), add --misc.
If you don't want to configure certain binds, there is no way to "skip" a config. A workaround for this is to use the --timeout option.
See retroarch-joyconfig.exe --help for more information.
I did my initial configuration for my Dualshock 2 and Neo Geo pads using the Phoenix launcher that used to come with it, then manually opened the cfg file to change things. That's been depreciated and isn't included now though. I think they want to add a new graphical way to define inputs at some point.

Which megapack, url please?
There are 32bit and 64bit versions of it on the main site under Windows binaries.

Timeless

edit: I solved this by setting my monitor refresh rate to 75hz. (It supports this mode.)

I'm getting minor audio crackles and slowdown on Super Mario World. (Should be 60fps, it sometimes hovers around 55fps.)

AMD Phenom II X4 965 30 °C Deneb 45nm Technology
RAM 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
IBM L190p (1280x1024@60Hz)
HP S2031 (1600x900@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (Sapphire/PCPartner)

I don't think my CPU should be any issue, since people have been using terrible, inaccurate emulators to get a playable Super Mario World for over 10 years now.

Any ideas? I've already reduced it to the original aspect ratio (absolutely no scaling), and reduced just about every shader setting that I could. This happens in bsnes performance, snes9x, and snes9x next.

Meesh

I don't want to clutter up the thread with my noob questions but I thought maybe someone could point me in the right direction? I've got some of those brilliant border/filters dl but I'm confused as to where to put them. I've read this thread and tried placing them where suggested but I can't seem to locate them with retroarch, any suggestions? What file path do you guys use? And one more silly question, does it matter where I extract retroarch to? Currently it's on the desktop. Any help at all would be appreciated :)

Awakened

I put them in a Shaders folder, but you can put them anywhere and use the video_shader_dir = "./nameofyourshaderfolderhere/" line in your config file to specify your folder. As long as you have write permission in the directory you use (which you would on your desktop) you can put the RetroArch folder there.

Meesh

I put them in a Shaders folder, but you can put them anywhere and use the video_shader_dir = "./nameofyourshaderfolderhere/" line in your config file to specify your folder. As long as you have write permission in the directory you use (which you would on your desktop) you can put the RetroArch folder there.
Thanks. I had some problems with this route for some reason, even though I selected the file path the shaders couldn't be seen in the folder?? Weird, I'll tinker with it till I'm satisfied though... In the meantime to get it going I went with SSNES/Phoenix and it booted the filters/game no problem.

Edit: has anyone developed a filter effect that mimics that really old ripple that scrolled down repeatedly like those old monitors used to do? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I guess it would effectively be an animated filter, not sure if that's possible but it sure would make things feel eerily authentic.

Awakened

Yep, there's a new mainline (0.150) MAME core that's coming along really well. From my testing it only seems to be lacking fast forward and analog support. It's not included in the current mega pack, but someone on the libretro forums compiled a 64bit version here. I don't think anyone has compiled it for 32bit Windows yet.

Top Bottom