• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RetroTink 4K review; well it does everything it said it would and more

VGEsoterica

I know there is a solid retro gaming contingent on Gaf that probably has a Framemeister, OSSC or RetroTink 5x near their retro consoles hooked up to their 4K tv...but the RetroTink 4K is out and I figured why not see how it does on rare arcade boards, home consoles and everything in between. Because if we can get prettier retro games...why not see what it can do!

Basically everything I threw at it worked rock solid. From rare arcade boards with wildly out of spec refresh rates to Dreamcast over VGA to PS3 upscaled via component to bypass HDCP...there was nothing the RetroTink 4K wouldn't just ingest signal wise and scale to a beautiful 4K image. The auto cropping features, the manual adjustments, the gamma and signal correction...even being able to rotate the image 90 degrees for my CAVE bullet hell shmup PCBs....it just totally worked perfect the whole way.

Sure its $750 but as a working filmmaker I see scalers in studios that are in the $5000+ range...that do less.

Curious who on GAF already got a Tink 4K? and who's thinking about one

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
giphy.gif

VGEsoterica

I really want a updated version which has HDMI2.1 support so that way it can do 4k120, that way being able to force all past gen consoles to be 4k AND have proper BFI with HDR compensation is the dream.
I wonder if the FPGA inside Tink 4K could accommodate for that. Jumping into a bigger FPGA would probably get this to a 4 digit price

StereoVsn

I know there is a solid retro gaming contingent on Gaf that probably has a Framemeister, OSSC or RetroTink 5x near their retro consoles hooked up to their 4K tv...but the RetroTink 4K is out and I figured why not see how it does on rare arcade boards, home consoles and everything in between. Because if we can get prettier retro games...why not see what it can do!

Basically everything I threw at it worked rock solid. From rare arcade boards with wildly out of spec refresh rates to Dreamcast over VGA to PS3 upscaled via component to bypass HDCP...there was nothing the RetroTink 4K wouldn't just ingest signal wise and scale to a beautiful 4K image. The auto cropping features, the manual adjustments, the gamma and signal correction...even being able to rotate the image 90 degrees for my CAVE bullet hell shmup PCBs....it just totally worked perfect the whole way.

Sure its $750 but as a working filmmaker I see scalers in studios that are in the $5000+ range...that do less.

Curious who on GAF already got a Tink 4K? and who's thinking about one

It’s a great upscaler. However I have 5x Pro and won’t be upgrading any time soon.

I used to only have the Retrotink 2x Pro Multi (clean 480p passthrough) for PS2, but broke down and got 5x Pro.

It’s a great device. Works even with PS3 and Switch if your TV supports 1440p (or use a monitor).

4K looks amazing but not $750 amazing 😅.

YCoCg

I wonder if the FPGA inside Tink 4K could accommodate for that. Jumping into a bigger FPGA would probably get this to a 4 digit price
I think it's going to be next upgrade path but they can coast on the current model for a bit, the current 4k is pretty much perfect and that's the only complaint I have that 120Hz support is limited to 1440p but for 4k60 and the BFI/HDr options, it's bloody amazing.

radewagon

I'm liking it so far, but haven't done much with it. Hooked it up to PS3 and it looks pretty great. Definitely better than other options I've tried. Hooked it up to the RT4K with component at first, but picked up a splitter to bypass the HDCP and get HDMI. It's a fair deal sharper with the HDMI even though the component is a solid option. I'm disappointed that there aren't any presets for PS3 since I really want something to accurately recreate that 720p monitor look.

s_mirage

It looks really good and I probably will get one at some point, but the price makes it something of a low priority.

S0ULZB0URNE

I really want a updated version which has HDMI2.1 support so that way it can do 4k120, that way being able to force all past gen consoles to be 4k AND have proper BFI with HDR compensation is the dream.
^This with a much lower price.

baphomet

Had I know Mike Chi got the rotating in before release, I would have pulled the trigger. I was there at release with it in my cart but decided against it. I'll just grab one on the restock and finally play some of my vertical games without pulling out the PVM.

VGEsoterica

Had I know Mike Chi got the rotating in before release, I would have pulled the trigger. I was there at release with it in my cart but decided against it. I'll just grab one on the restock and finally play some of my vertical games without pulling out the PVM.
yes that was a late stage addition it seems

ReBurn

Gold Member
The price is a little high, but I feel this is the end all, be all upscaler.
I have been thinking of getting one. I have a lot of old consoles sitting around that I haven't used in years because I they just don't work well with modern TV's through a convertor. I'm going to wait a while to see if the price drops any since it feels a lot like enthusiast pricing right now and I'm too old for enthusiasm.

StereoVsn

I have been thinking of getting one. I have a lot of old consoles sitting around that I haven't used in years because I they just don't work well with modern TV's through a convertor. I'm going to wait a while to see if the price drops any since it feels a lot like enthusiast pricing right now and I'm too old for enthusiasm.
Unless someone can come up with similar performance in another FPGA chip it’s highly unlikely that prices will drop much if at all. Hell, they may go up.

dave_d

The price is a little high, but I feel this is the end all, be all upscaler.
Part of me thinks I shouldn't get this but then I realize I spent about the same amount on a receiver and some speakers to make my setup sound better. (And I'm not even an audiophile but I do like my retro games.)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I didn’t get the problem with PS3 via HDMI. I remember some of the latest models of PS3 Slim had some issues with component out, maybe it was even disabled? How would those work with the RT4K?

How are the results with the Wii? Wii and PS3 are pretty much the only systems I’d be really interested to use an upscaler with, because emulation is too much of a hassle with the Wii (requires sensor bar for PC, etc) and my PC can’t handle PS3.

Top Bottom