• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Return of the Ma.K - Brigador Up-Armored Edition

yfoyoZL.jpg

Good to see this ripping tactical vehicle shooter return in the Up-Armored Edition. Free for the old guard, expanded for the FNGs.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/JZEjlBCwap0

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274500/Brigador_UpArmored_Edition/
Gog: https://www.gog.com/game/brigador
Humble: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/brigador-deluxe-edition
Itch.io: https://stellar-jockeys.itch.io/brigador

REQUIRED READING - THE ROAD TO BRIGADOR'S RELEASE AND BEYOND

Massive thanks to all our players who've stuck with us over the last year, especially those who've been with us all the way since Early Access. Having a community like this makes all the difference in the world – and it's what kept us going through another year of development. Thank you, Brigadors.

Now for the re-launch! What wonderful new things await?

Achievements!
NX5yh6o.png

New Campaign!
WqAnZ5f.png

New Pilots!
x578BI0.png

New Playable Vehicles!
B7DtsPo.png

Better Explosions!
sI6YJUO.gifv

Other changes include spawnlist scaling, allowing us to better tailor enemy unit spawns relative to the level size (no more enemy tidal waves on Gasworks Turnpike), and more weapon / vehicle balance tweaks. We'll continue fine-tuning these elements, but for now get playing and tell us what you think in the discussion forums! And if you haven't posted a review for the game yet, now would be a perfect time.

As a special gift for those of you who own the Deluxe Edition, we're adding the Up-Armored EP to the audio collection. Curated by Makeup and Vanity Set and featuring tracks by a variety of outstanding musicians, the Up-Armored EP puts the total Brigador OST length at over 3 hours, and the total Deluxe Edition audio to 10 hours of content. A labor of love, all for your listening pleasure.

Whatever you want to call it - Kow Yokoyama's Urban Strike, something-something-roguelike, MechCommander's VHS cousin, blah blah blah - Brigador is pretty sumptuous and loaded for gear heads. New lighting looks great, rejigged tutes for the cherubs, bigger MAVS soundtrack (this time, with friends!) is better MAVS soundtrack.

Biggest surprise just might be the Brad Buckmaster Brigador book (audio production is stellar). Bad-arse military science-fiction that acts as a conduit between the oodles of lore and the game itself. Great primer.

Thumbs up. If you missed it the first time around, good time to jump in.

GAF Testimonials

Had put some time into this before, but started playing it again thanks to the upgrade, and it definitely clicked this time with me. The environmental destruction is so so satisfying. There's nothing more gratifying than shooting a weapon that tears through an entire row of house in a single shot, leaving debris and flying shrapnel in its wake, or unleashing dual machine guns in a sweeping arc that shreds everything

Game deserves far more attention than it's received thus far. I've already put 53 hours(!!) into the game, and it's still something I plan on revisiting on a regular basis just for some sweet tactical vehicular combat action. There is, literally, nothing else quite like it on the planet. It scratches an itch that I've always felt needed to be scratched but never had a proper game for.

The fact that the devs will have to stop supporting it soon-ish to work on their next game because of a lack of funding makes me damn sad. I wish they got at least FTL-tier success so they could work on an expansion instead.

Please give them some funding, GAF. They deserve it!

I'll say it again, Brigador is one of the best indie games ever made.

Love it. Brigador is awesome and more people need to recognize.

this game is phenomenal and needs more attention, especially after all the work they've put into it post-release.

if you love old dos games like syndicate, bedlam, or crusader it is a must play. if you don't, play it anyway.

This game is so fucking good, glad to see it get further support. Was quite a nice surprise when my copy started updating itself!

Got this on the monthly humble bundle, it kicks ass! Love the soundtrack as well.

I played the hell out of this a few months ago, god it is so damn great. Everything about this game feels good. This is the game I dreamed of back in the 16 bit era.

I've also really liked what I've played of the game.

TheMoon

Sounds fantastic, apparently people still don't know what they're missing going by the lack of replies?

That trailer is pretty sick. It looks like an action game set in Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun HD.

Edit: What does the Deluxe come with?

I love twin stick so I should probably get this?

Sell me on it

It's not a twin stick shooter. It's more similar to older games like Jungle/Desert Strike or Crusader No Remorse. That means it's about careful positioning and aiming shots etc rather than a geometry wars type thing.

_Clash_

It's not a twin stick shooter. It's more similar to older games like Jungle/Desert Strike or Crusader No Remorse. That means it's about careful positioning and aiming shots etc rather than a geometry wars type thing.

L stick 360 degree move
R stick 360 degree shoot?

Or different setup?

L stick 360 degree move
R stick 360 degree shoot?

Or different setup?

You *can* play it with sticks, and it's very serviceable, but mouse and keyboard is how you want to play. Targeting takes into account depth, height and distance, so it doesn't really play like a simple twin-sticker. Torso-twisting is largely manual. Kinda plays like a very technical and tactical version of the 16bit Battletech games.

_Clash_

You *can* play it with sticks, and it's very serviceable, but mouse and keyboard is how you want to play. Targeting takes into account depth, height and distance, so it doesn't really play like a simple twin-sticker. Torso-twisting is largely manual. Kinda plays like a very technical and tactical version of the 16bit Battletech games.

How bad? Controller greatly inferior and avoid it pretty much?

Oh shit, and designed for PC controls too? I hate PC games that can't be bothered to prioritize actual PC controls. On my wishlist it goes.

TheMoon

I have a feeling US-timezone GAF needs a bump to see this.

Get those mechs stomping!

I noticed earlier that I never upgraded to the OST/Audiobook deluxe edition stuff. Took advantage of the discount now.

Maybe some gifs are needed to whet the appetite:

Julius_newlight.jpg

touro_newlight.jpg

audiokineticpulse.jpg

lhqrIvR.mp4

StereoVsn

The update looks great. I got original Brigador a while back since I love mech games, but never got to it. So this will give mean excuse to actually properly start the game once I get out from my backlog a bit.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
this game is phenomenal and needs more attention, especially after all the work they've put into it post-release.

if you love old dos games like syndicate, bedlam, or crusader it is a must play. if you don't, play it anyway.

Decado

What about steam controller?

drotahorror

What about steam controller?

I'll give it a shot with the highest rated configuration.

I am dick terrible with the steam controller though, I have not found any game comfortable to play that uses the right touch pad a lot. I can't even play a batman like game with it (batman AK, Mad Max, SoM, etc).

I think the controller is pretty nifty and has some cool features but man I wish it had just a normal right stick.

Only did a quick test run obviously, but I'm actually really diggin this with the steam controller. Using the setup below

This is the only game I've played that feels good with the steam controller that has alot of right stick movement.

* I still prefer mouse/kb but I think with some practice and people that are more familiar with the steam controller, they could do well.

Is it a separate game in your Steam library? Already had the game, havent redeemed the Up Armored Edition from Humble Monthly

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Love this game, can't wait to check out the new version!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
You could also include this in the OP, if you wanted to: http://imgur.com/gallery/bGLAQ

really sad how badly this game tanked on release. because of the sale/update i bought a second copy on humble just to have a drm-free version and a steam key for a friend.

apparently the novel tie-in is pretty damned good as well and i'll be giving the audiobook a listen tonight.

Amazing game. Love everything about it. Didn't realize there was a novel tie-in, tho -- plan to pick it up soon'ish and give it a read.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
game seems good enough, I'm definitely interested. May even buy it later today and see if it works with the Pro Controller

I'm playing via controller with no issues, although to be fair I haven't played a lot so the game's difficulty might ramp up too high later on. However, enemies aren't very numerous or mobile, rather they're resilient and can put a lot of hurt (especially on smaller mechs), so the focus is more on positioning and flanking than quick aiming.

It's a slightly unconventional twin stick setup because you don't control aim directly: rather, you control a pointer. This is necessary because some of your weapons are mortars and such that need a specific target point, and also because even linear weapons have a vertical component to their trajectory, so if you aim "beyond" a short target, you may literally overshoot it if your mecha is tall (especially if you don't crouch), and if you aim "closer" than a target, you will simply hit the ground in front of them.

Do make sure to 1) check the button mappings, because the game's tutorial uses keyboard prompts even when playing with a controller, and 2) change crouch to toggle, because holding a face button while aiming with the right stick and holding R2 to shoot isn't exactly confortable. :D

The game is pretty fun otherwise, with tons of customization, not just in terms of different vehicles (there's at least two dozen mecha plus as many tanks and antigrav vehicles to buy in-game) but also in difficulty and risk / reward. And that's besides the story mode.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Using a controller takes away a lot from the game unfortunately. It us one of the very few games that supports controller but I still use m/kb. I really wish it worked well as I'm strictly comfy couch these days, but the game is so good I play it at my desk.

That said, if you liked Syndicate, Desert Strike and Mechwarrior you'll love this game. It is absolutely fantastic.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Played the opening stages and will have to go back for more. I need to get accustomed to the controls, but I can see this being pretty awesome further in.

Skab

This game is so fucking good, glad to see it get further support. Was quite a nice surprise when my copy started updating itself!

Got this on the monthly humble bundle, it kicks ass! Love the soundtrack as well.

Unrelated, this month's humble bundle was awesome. Sterllaris + SUPERHOT + Brigador + like 4 more I didn't check yet = 12$. Insane.

Danneee

Unrelated, this month's humble bundle was awesome. Sterllaris + SUPERHOT + Brigador + like 4 more I didn't check yet = 12$. Insane.

Like in the bundle that is going right now? Might jump on that if so.

Edit: Last months.. oh well.

Top Bottom