• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal comes to PC on February 15, 2023 | PC Requirements and Features revealed

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Has Sony said they are disappointed in the performance of these games?
No. they have called them all a success and even provided revenue figures along with sales data. They arent expecting these franchises to sell tens of millions of copies like they do on PS. As long as the ROI or Return Over Investment is profitable they dont care.

Horizon has sold almost 2 million generating $60 million in revenue.
GOW had sold 950k in just 3 months. Generating $28 million.
Days Gone sold a bit less and made around $25 million in revenue for Sony.
Total for their last fiscal year was $80 million.

Sony considered that a success and estimated that the next fiscal year would be around $300 million or 5 million copies at full price. For example, GOW Ragnorak did 5 million in just under a week in November. so it's not like they have high expectations.

So far they have released Spiderman, Miles, Uncharted, Sackboy and soon will release Returnal and TLOU Remake. If those 6 games dont help them hit $300 million for all their games combined then they will probably be disappointed.

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh I believe they will too, but they wont make any significant amount of money with people gamers scoffing at paying 50.00$ for a port to critically acclaimed games. Like Sony exclsuives and cheap pc spenders dont mix.

People paid $50+ for God of War, Spider man and Horizon

It all depends on the game.

Miles Morales is still one of the best selling games after releasing in 2020. It’s bigger than a DLC add on and was the first to have raytracing and FSR on consoles. Sackboy big adventure isnt a lack luster indie game.

Sackboy didn’t sell that well on PS5 and releasing Miles Morales only months after pushing out Spiderman was not a smart move.

T4keD0wN

If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
Didnt returnal fail commercially on ps since it was so niche and the userbase was so small? Steam alone has a lot more users than ps5 and most likely more users that are into this kind of games.
I wouldnt be surprised if last of us part 1 sells more on pc than it did on ps5 thanks to being brand new to the platform and having a tv show airing close to the release.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If Returnal and the Last of Us fail commercially on pc; I think it will be time for Sony to focus more on their core audience than trying to please the pc crowd.
Screaming The Help GIF

I notice it’s only the PlayStation gamers.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I got these revenue numbers from Sony themselves and other sources. My estimation is actually higher than what Sony expected. Much less than 600 mill. Nobody is saying these games need to sell 10 mill each, but the ROI might not be there with the current economy. Uncharted, Last of Us and GOW should all sell 5 mill copies each at a minum. If thats tooo much to ask, what are doing here?

https://www.pcgamer.com/sony-expects-to-earn-dollar300-million-from-pc-games-in-the-next-12-months/

Why? And again, you haven't gotten sales numbers, you've gotten revenue data out of context. These are already finished games that are presumably past their shelf-life on PSN. As long as - what have to be minimal - development costs for the port are recouped, why wouldn't you put these out on the PC if for no other reason than to build your PC presence?

SNG32

Why would they it’s still money sitting on the table and its not a lot of resources for them to
do a PC port. This module for Sony is here to stay and the release gap between Console and PC will get smaller and smaller.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

It won't fail though. It's basically impossible for those two to fail on PC.

Why? And again, you haven't gotten sales numbers, you've gotten revenue data out of context. These are already finished games that are presumably past their shelf-life on PSN. As long as - what have to be minimal - development costs for the port are recouped, why wouldn't you put these out on the PC if for no other reason than to build your PC presence?
Because that goes against the whole argument of Sony needing to adapt to new gaming trends to remain the market leader. The general consensus argument used against Sony games remaining exclusive was that Sony needed extra money, and that they will need to release all of their games on PC, even day and date. Bunch of doom and gloom that is far from reality.

The numbers arent taken out of context. They say what they are. Sony has made less than 600 million after releasing 5-6 games on pc. Not good. Now to your credit, I have mistakenly let the Neogaf arguments sway my logic and reasoning regarding the purpose of these ports. Most of these games have already sold well on playstation, so they dont need a lot of sales, but games like Returnal definitely need PC gamers to buy the game and not pirate it. This IS a game that needs copies sold on pc, seperate from console sales to judge its its true overall value.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Tempest is a lot more advanced than Dolby atmos even. Don’t get the smiley reaction you got. Clearly from someone that doesn’t understand the techs
WTF? lol

Tempest is a tech to mimic surround sound out of stereo speakers.

That is not a replacement for actual surround sound, it's just for people who can't afford it / or dont have space for it / or are using headphones.

Last edited:

Senua

I used to be like this at one time when I was too hardcore PC. Then I adapted and can use either or with zero issues. I can even use controllers in racing games now as well as wheels. *gasp*

Also, 3rd person characters feel like shit controlling with a KB. Mouse is fine, but the KB feels too robotic to me.
TBH this is just modern TPS designed with controllers in mind, Play Max Payne 1 and 2 with KB and mouse, it's perfection

Bon Appetit Gourmet GIF by Studios 2016

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Also, 3rd person characters feel like shit controlling with a KB. Mouse is fine, but the KB feels too robotic to me.
Huh?

That's a really strange comment.. honestly how much PC gaming do you even do?

3rd person is basically just first person with a really pulled back field of view, it's all just "mouselook" controls.. you are basically moving a cursor on the screen, whether the camera is behind the player or in front of the player doesn't really change that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Huh?

3rd person is basically just first person with a really pulled back field of view, it's all just "mouselook" controls.. you are basically moving a cursor on the screen, whether the camera is behind the player or in front of the player doesn't really change that.
Been PC gaming since the 90s, and on Commodore's in the 80s before that. I like to also feel immersed in games as well, and enjoy the analog aspects of 3rd person characters have with great animations while I game.

KB feels too robotic for me in those types of games. Something that grew over time with me, since it was how I mainly gamed prior to all the graphical/physics/animation advancements.

Senua

Huh?

I kinda get what he means, to me at least moving the character with the binary keys looks off with all the detailed animation, its like its too slow to react, whereas with the stick it makes sense its more fluid as it's not as instant. Older TPS games like early Max Payne just snapped to the animation intended instead of flowed which worked with the instant button press. So I think nowadays TPS games are designed with more fluid animation and are designed for sluggish thumbsticks which work in tandum with the realistic fluid build up to movement and therefore look slow to react when using binary keys, thats my guess anyway.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
WTF? lol

Tempest is a tech to mimic surround sound out of stereo speakers.

That is not a replacement for actual surround sound, it's just for people who can't afford it / or dont have space for it / or are using headphones.
That’s just one of its features.

“Tempest is powered by an extra AMD GPU compute unit located within the PS5 hardware. It accelerates sound decompression, and places audio all around you in a sphere of a thousand different virtual locations.”

“When it came to the section about sound, Cerny left his audience with the distinct feeling that the PS5 would not be supporting Dolby Atmos. The PS5 will output native 3D audio using a newly-designed 'Tempest Engine' with Cerny stating that he wanted to include far more than just the 34 speakers that Atmos can manage. It also means that many more TV sound devices will be able to leverage the PS5's surround virtualisation and not just Atmos-certified ones.”

Last edited:

Puscifer

Sarcastic Big Sky GIF by ABC Network

We need to have a conversation. Sony's best games failing to sell on pc is a bigger deal than pc gamers think. If this keeps happening, soon Sony going to say screw it, keep the singleplayer stuff exclusive to playstation, and give the pc crowd Destruction Allstars next.
Lol Sony needs to stop selling full priced 2 year old games first. I bought it on PS5 for 70 bucks and it's my favorite game this generation, they'll likely launch it for 70 dollars and I'm just not double dipping especially since I'm in a state that taxes digital purchases now vs California or Texas where I didn't.

Not paying 80 dollars a second time, I will for 30-40 though.

Puscifer

I used to be like this at one time when I was too hardcore PC. Then I adapted and can use either or with zero issues. I can even use controllers in racing games now as well as wheels. *gasp*

You can get keyboards like the Wooting, Steelseries or Razer with full analog movement in the keys. I'll be more than happy to use those features with superior shooter controls.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You can get keyboards like the Wooting, Steelseries or Razer with full analog movement in the keys. I'll be more than happy to use those features with superior shooter controls.

those are cool but the support for them isn't really there sadly... games can't really register analog movement and mouse movement at the same time. it's why gyro is such a hard thing to get working on PC. like i wish they would work seamlessly as it'd fix the biggest control issue KB/M has but it aint there really

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Friend had that razer huntsman PRO.
Keys felt amazingly smooth and the analog nature of it really works.
But it was shit in most games. The analog keys are spoofing a controller, so the games were constantly jittering between controller and pc prompts and so on.
It was way more of a headache that it was worth. It's on of these concepts that sound better than it is. 2mm of travel is not enough to have full range of precise movement. You bottom the keys out

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Friend had that razer huntsman PRO.
Keys felt amazingly smooth and the analog nature of it really works.
But it was shit in most games. The analog keys are spoofing a controller, so the games were constantly juttering between controller and pc prompts and so on.
It was away more of a headache that it was worth. It's on of these concepts that sound better than it is. 2mm of travel is not enough to have full range of precise movement. You bottom the keys out
It'd be a possibility if some new controller API comes around with support for both analog and mouse movement at the same time (or MS modifies Xinput to support that which would be a godsend for gyro) but it doesnt seem like that will happen anytime soon

Top Bottom