• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

DonJorginho

Banned
1 hour and 45 minute run in Biome 5, about to grab the last Nadal key to access the final biome, used SO much ether for the resurrection chamber aswell as redeeming some for an astronaut, and the game crashes......

And to make it even better, my PS5 is now stuck in a eternal loop (the irony hurts too much) closing the game..

I am officially done with Returnal till they patch this game or include an emergency save function as this shit isn't on.

Jake Gyllenhaal Goodbye GIF by MOODMAN

saintjules

Rolled credits. Going to play NG+ (aka 2nd playthrough) later in the week while I can refresh my thoughts meanwhile.

I was a Hollowseeker guy for most of the game, but then I found the Electropylon Driver and that became my weapon of choice for the last 2 Biomes. Near the end I found one at a lvl 26 weapon proficiency. It's absolutely relentless at destroying enemies with it's electric field rods it produces on the ground and in the air. It keeps draining the hostile's health, which also can stun them in their place. Will make great use of it in Biome 3 on NG+.

Every generation there's games that make it as the best game of each year. And then there's the few that are once in a lifetime experiences. This one is it.

0xpZ58p.jpg

Some potential spoiler screenshots I randomly shot during my playthrough

OqjRSB9.jpg
Sj6IQlB.jpg

pAN481Q.jpg

pWgi4HK.jpg

5j0lPmy.jpg
Ljt7STw.jpg

TOOKaHN.jpg

N92mDJo.jpg

coAjNfn.jpg

Bx6wgw1.jpg

Total playtime (yea, I died alot)

jrNiFvb.jpg

My highest max stats leading into the 6th Biome

p0FxVMV.jpg

My stats prior to the last boss fight

1yh5LFn.jpg

Last edited:

drotahorror

Rolled credits. Going to play NG+ later in the week while I can refresh my thoughts meanwhile.

I was a Hollowseeker guy for most of the game, but then I found the Electropylon Driver and that became my weapon of choice for the last 2 Biomes. Near the end I found one at a lvl 26 weapon proficiency. It's absolutely relentless at destroying enemies with it's electric field rods it produces on the ground and in the air. It keeps draining the hostile's health, which also can stun them in their place. Will make great use of it in Biome 3 on NG+.

Unless I'm just missing something, there is no NG+ or anything extra. You keep anything you've unlocked sure but don't expect new enemies, new boss moves, new rooms, etc.

Well, I guess it's NG+ basically but just nothing extra. Very disappointed in that aspect, ESPECIALLY since it's a damn roguelike/lite.

Last edited:

SCB3

Finally got my first bug, locked in the first room with the ship, luckily a quick cycle restart fixed it

Finally got a decent loadout to tackle the 2nd boss, headphones on ready and my baby wakes up....

I hope I can retain momentum when I unpause

bargeparty

You can wire it to the DualSense. Tried the Pulse 3D wired to the DS and it provides 3D audio, same with A40 but A40 is muddy and not as clean. I like the separation and locality, clarity, and clean bass the Pulse 3D has vs my Astro A40 that I ended up giving it to my nephew.

I was just trying to point out that you don't necessarily need to use a headset, especially if you're playing single-player games and don't have a use for a mic.

I also didn't like the Pulse 3D that much when I tried it, that's a personal preference thing.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yep. ALWAYS buy the astronaut figurine first if you find it at the shop. way better than spending obliotes on 25% more health or large medpacks.

Not sure which biome you are on, but regular enemies can easily kill you in biomes 2 and 3 so always nice to have a figurine on hand.
Good info on the figure, thanks.

Still stuck in Biome 1. Been busy and made it to the boss twice though, total playtime maybe 2.5 hours?

The large medpack seems like one of the best consumables though.

saintjules

Unless I'm just missing something, there is no NG+ or anything extra. You keep anything you've unlocked sure but don't expect new enemies, new boss moves, new rooms, etc.

Well, I guess it's NG+ basically but just nothing extra. Very disappointed in that aspect, ESPECIALLY since it's a damn roguelike/lite.

Yeah NG+ in the sense of keeping your upgraded tech to get to areas you couldn't reach before. AND to get the true ending(?)

Last edited:

FrankWza

I was just trying to point out that you don't necessarily need to use a headset, especially if you're playing single-player games and don't have a use for a mic.

I also didn't like the Pulse 3D that much when I tried it, that's a personal preference thing.
If you’re playing this game without headphones you’re missing out. Just like Senua but you actually benefit from being able to locate enemies too. Best use of sound ive ever come across in a game.

drotahorror

Murdered first boss with the shotgun. Narrow Maw and Acid something I believe. Probably dead in less than 60sec.

I'm using a lobber in 2nd biome that's one shotting the larger ground creatures with all the tentacles on them.

Last edited:

bargeparty

If you’re playing this game without headphones you’re missing out. Just like Senua but you actually benefit from being able to locate enemies too. Best use of sound ive ever come across in a game.

I'm not saying don't use headphones, I'm making a distinction between headsets and headphones. Headsets have a mic, and headphones are just the cans, no mic (usually better quality at the same price point or even better value at cheaper cost).

That's all I mean. You want 3D audio just plug in some sort of headphones, ear buds, whatever, into the controller. You don't have to spend money on a headset if you already have headphones.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Rolled credits. Going to play NG+ (aka 2nd playthrough) later in the week while I can refresh my thoughts meanwhile.

Every generation there's games that make it as the best game of each year. And then there's the few that are once in a lifetime experiences. This one is it.

0xpZ58p.jpg

Some potential spoiler screenshots I randomly shot during my playthrough

OqjRSB9.jpg
Sj6IQlB.jpg

pAN481Q.jpg

pWgi4HK.jpg

5j0lPmy.jpg
Ljt7STw.jpg

TOOKaHN.jpg

N92mDJo.jpg

coAjNfn.jpg

Bx6wgw1.jpg

Total playtime (yea, I died alot)

jrNiFvb.jpg

My highest max stats leading into the 6th Biome

p0FxVMV.jpg

My stats prior to the last boss fight

1yh5LFn.jpg

Congrats! Amazing screenies! Also I remember reaching level 32 by the end but kept my trusted 27 Hollowseeker despite finding other weapons much higher.

Golgo 13

Second boss down without spending my astronaut. 3 vials and one shield did the job.
Now I need to smoke.
GOTY
Congrats!
How did you unlock 3 consumable slots by Biome 2? Is that normal? I'm still stuck in Biome 1 but I figured that would come much later.

Last edited:

SCB3

Alright I need to refocus, so I've been kinda rushing to the boss instead of taking the time to grind out upgrades and levelling the Weapon skills up on lesser enemies, been doing that more and can get the 2nd boss down to his 3rd HP bar consistently, like a Souls game, it'll come

drotahorror

If you abuse the ship in the first biome or fourth biome (before going to the second or fifth biome, I don't think you can go back to ship after you leave the biome it's on) you will beat the game/ Act you're on.

I can basically face tank bosses with very little skill. And as my weapons keep getting better / higher level traits, the DPS is insane. Steamrolled biome 1-3 again, used 2 small vials the whole time.

I think maybe they should make going back to the ship for HP a one time thing.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm not saying don't use headphones, I'm making a distinction between headsets and headphones. Headsets have a mic, and headphones are just the cans, no mic (usually better quality at the same price point or even better value at cheaper cost).

That's all I mean. You want 3D audio just plug in some sort of headphones, ear buds, whatever, into the controller. You don't have to spend money on a headset if you already have headphones.
Oh yeah. Especially now that you can use the dualsense mic in a pinch. Game sounds so good though. I constantly get scared when I’m near the vines and sometimes just rubble moving. Always happens whe lm I least expect it

Barrico82

Banned
First time playing Rouglike game, i loved Housemerque games before, with no real next gen games, i said why not to try something new and fresh.

I liked the game it is fun addicted, the moment to moment gameplay is so satisfying.

I have beaten the first boss, i have one question the cube after i beat the boss i thought i dont need to beat the boss again, i reaches the boss without the cube and beaten him, later i found a cube and when i went to the boss room he is still there and i have to fight him.

Whar about the cube should i beat him again ??

Golgo 13

1 hour and 45 minute run in Biome 5, about to grab the last Nadal key to access the final biome, used SO much ether for the resurrection chamber aswell as redeeming some for an astronaut, and the game crashes......

And to make it even better, my PS5 is now stuck in a eternal loop (the irony hurts too much) closing the game..

I am officially done with Returnal till they patch this game or include an emergency save function as this shit isn't on.

Best-Cry-Ever.gif

Reading this hurt my soul. I’d be so mad.

I am also putting it down until at least the in “coming days” mentioned updates are available to try/review. Good game, needs more polish. HQ have so far been receptive, which will be important if they want to make this type of game work at this price point.

I’m surprised they threw Sony under the bus with the crashing problems (haven’t had one myself), but don’t be too cocky.

iorek21

I'm not done with the game yet, but its flaws are becoming more and more apparent after each run. It's reminding me a lot of Darkest Dungeon, and not in a good way.

Mechanics and enemy design are amazing, fluid, challenging and fair, but RNG, loot and malfunctions are bringing it down. The lack of mid-run save is just a symptom of Returnal's philosophy: "How can we make the game more frustrating/challenging?". Most of the guns have poor stats, shotguns sucks, lots of chests give you malfunctions in exchange of often useless consumables, you have to quickly grab the currency dropped by enemies like a LEGO game and it's often a very low value, most of the parasites are not worth it etc.

Hades and Dead Cells managed to be challenging and rewarding at the same time, I fail to see why didn't Housemarque decide to follow the same route. Returnal already has an almost perfect and challenging gameplay loop, was it necessary to put so many punishments alongside it?

I can't get it off my head that in most of my runs I'm being arbitrarily punished by RNG or malfunctions.

Last edited:

I just beat the game without a single crash. I feel your pain though. If that happen to me I would have quit the game.

I'm not done with the game yet, but its flaws are becoming more and more apparent after each run. It's reminding me a lot of Darkest Dungeon, and not in a good way.

Mechanics and enemy design are amazing, fluid, challenging and fair, but RNG, loot and malfunctions are bringing it down. The lack of mid-run save is just a symptom of Returnal's philosophy: "How can we make the game more frustrating/challenging?". Most of the guns have poor stats, shotguns sucks, lots of chests give you malfunctions in exchange of often useless consumables, you have to quickly grab the currency dropped by enemies like a LEGO game and it's often a very low value, most of the parasites are not worth it etc.

Hades and Dead Cells managed to be challenging and rewarding at the same time, I fail to see why didn't Housemarque decide to follow the same route. Returnal already has an almost perfect and challenging gameplay loop, was it necessary to put so many punishments alongside it?

I can't get it off my head that in most of my runs I'm being arbitrarily punished by RNG or malfunctions.
I avoided almost all malfunctions in my playthrough.

I only risk getting malfunctions if I had a way to remove them immediately.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I avoided almost all malfunctions in my playthrough.

I only risk getting malfunctions if I had a way to remove them immediately.
Yep and if the malfunction is manageable, I wait untill I get 2 to fix them (if I see that I can overcome it easily then wait until it's gone to be at 2 to remove them).Weirdly I feel like when you have the item to remove them they seems to happen less commonly, I had a run with the fix and manage to slash 4 purple chunk of obolites without getting a malfunction which and it is even better manages to give me enough obolites to overcome the malfunction.

JayK47

I hope the story and gameplay make up for the bland ugly main character. Such a lame trend. I prefer my main characters with some flare. I am stuck looking at them for the whole game, give me something worth looking at, or at least make it first person.

bargeparty

Omg tree zimmer almost killed me after he died. Some sort of delayed orbs.

Had a hollowseeker that spawned a beam turret, friggin rekt.

Portal Beam is the perk

tommib

Ixion was so easy compared to Phrike. I had a Hollowseeker 7 and just spammed it while going around in circles. Boom, done.

Second enemy that appears in world 3 - big ass robot with ginormous head - knocks me down and destroys me in 2 seconds.

Gediminas

Banned

wow, that's bad.

how hard to put autosave into the game?(to save every 5min, 1min or whatever..) these type of games should have one.

My god, I'm so bad at this game lmao. It's like my brain is overloaded with all of the stuff going on and I can't focus on any one thing. Same thing happens in any FPS when i'm confronted with a bunch of enemies - I just kind of freeze. That and I don't think bullet hell works in a 3d space because it's hard to determine your position in relation to the bullet spam(hitboxes and whatnot).

Yep it's either acid or poison,I think the ennemies loses life gradually or take more damages with green health.
Yeah, that was it.

Moonjt9

If you abuse the ship in the first biome or fourth biome (before going to the second or fifth biome, I don't think you can go back to ship after you leave the biome it's on) you will beat the game/ Act you're on.

I can basically face tank bosses with very little skill. And as my weapons keep getting better / higher level traits, the DPS is insane. Steamrolled biome 1-3 again, used 2 small vials the whole time.

That would definitely increase the challenge. I abused the ship on my latest run and that allowed me to easily beat the boss and I had 160% integrity in the first biome. I think the annoyance of porting back to the ship balances out its usefulness. Makes the beginning of the game a bit more accessible as well.

im doing that and still struggling with biome 5

GHG

Yeah fuck Housemarque's smart ass descriptions. I knew that After finishing the game.

They need to explain things like that a bit better, I had no idea until you just said.

I finally just beat the first boss and then got my ass handed to me in the crimson wastes. This game doesn't fuck about, I officially suck at this game.

Also is it worth spending ether near the ship or save it? I have about 12 at the moment and I'm reluctant to spend them in case something comes up. I still haven't even found the place I can buy the astronaut yet.

Last edited:

xray49er

Finally got the game today. It's hard but fair. I did beat the first biome on my 5th run. Got destroyed as soon as I made into the caves on the 2nd biome. Took me about and hour and a half to finish the first biome but I did not unlock everything yet. I got lucky on the first boss I picked up a parasite that let me come back to life twice. That was the only way I was able to beat the first boss on my first time fighting him. The game is fun just hope I don't get burned out starting over again. I know about the shortcuts I hope they come in handy, but I think I will need to grind

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They need to explain things like that a bit better, I had no idea until you just said.

I finally just beat the first boss and then got my ass handed to me in the crimson wastes. This game doesn't fuck about, I officially suck at this game.

Also is it worth spending ether near the ship or save it? I have about 12 at the moment and I'm reluctant to spend them in case something comes up. I still haven't even found the place I can buy the astronaut yet.

Yes, they open new gear that can be available for loot and fabrications later according to Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT . Just one at a time and always keep a minimum of 6 for the reconstructor. Also farm the areas well and avoid the golden gate if you don't have the guts or the skills as it's 3 waves of horde mode you end up with 3 mini bosses with flying enemies, maybe canons as well as a bonus. The loot is good but not worth it if you're not well prepared or skilled enough.

GHG

Yes, they open new gear that can be available for loot and fabrications later according to Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT . Just one at a time and always keep a minimum of 6 for the reconstructor. Also farm the areas well and avoid the golden gate if you don't have the guts or the skills as it's 3 waves of horde mode you end up with 3 mini bosses with flying enemies, maybe canons as well as a bonus. The loot is good but not worth it if you're not well prepared or skilled enough.

I made the mistake of entering the challenge room once... never again.

Thanks for the tips on the ether. I'll try to make sure I always have about 9 saved for each run just in case.

Top Bottom