• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

SLB1904

Banned
It permanently unlocks new consumables or artifacts that were previously not even in your cycles.

That is why Ether is so valuable in the first place and why the amount needed raises, the more you unlock!

It is even mentioned in the description.
the-more-you-know.png

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You have to find them. When you unlock a new one you get one for free to try it out right in the beginnig area at your ship. After that they get added to your playthrough to all the other consumables and artifacts.

Artifacts aren't permanent. You die, you lose them all. I had a lot of them grinding from biome 1 to 2, and used even those cubes that supposed to give you permanent upgrades which is a lie.

Returnal_permanent_items_guide.jpg

dorkimoe

Is there any talk of them adding anything to help new people or am I gonna sell the game not even beating the first level?
This is seriously so stupid. I’m enjoying the gameplay so much but replaying the same level and boss over and over is beyond stupid.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Artifacts aren't permanent. You die, you lose them all. I had a lot of them grinding from biome 1 to 2, and used even those cubes that supposed to give you permanent upgrades which is a lie.
Again, they don't stay permanently with you. They get permanently added to the playthrough.

GymWolf

I don't think so. Either 1-3 or 4-6 and the rest will be like the first time you play through the game. Upgrades won't carry over.
If i turn off the console while being at biome 4 it still return to biome 1 right? it is only for consecutive runs where you die in biome 4-6 right?

Last edited:
Is there any talk of them adding anything to help new people or am I gonna sell the game not even beating the first level?
This is seriously so stupid. I’m enjoying the gameplay so much but replaying the same level and boss over and over is beyond stupid.
I hope the save feature gets patched if possible, its the only thing that is keeping we away from buying this game.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Maybe... just maybe you could try to beat the first biome before complaining.

If a save mechanic gets added it sure will be to save your progress after you have beaten a biome.

Con-Z-epT

If i turn off the console while being at biome 4 it still return to biome 1 right? it is only for consecutive runs where you die in biome 4-6 right?
No. Doesn't matter if you die or turn of the console, once you're in biome 4 you start over in biome 4 as long as you haven't finished the game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
FUCK ME IS BIOME 5 A DIFFICULTY SPIKE

So many flying robot cunts along with these new elders that wreck me, Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem tips please kind sir :messenger_tears_of_joy:

half baked help GIF

Be a coward, that all I can say. Run away and exploit them, use the gate trick. Throw dirt on their eyes, do every dirty trick possible. And most importantly:

583lar.jpg

It was pretty hard and forced me to the golden gate as well. Died once there but managed with the last life through the reconstructor. Funnily didn't know what a figurine does so didn't buy it.

DonJorginho

Banned
Be a coward, that all I can say. Run away and exploit them, use the gate trick. Throw dirt on their eyes, do every dirty trick possible. And most importantly:

583lar.jpg

It was pretty hard and forced me to the golden gate as well. Died once there but managed with the last life through the reconstructor. Funnily didn't know what a figurine does so didn't buy it.
Wait wait.... you HAVE to do a golden gate?

nq7DAmS.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Wait wait.... you HAVE to do a golden gate?

nq7DAmS.gif

Good luck, it's very, very hard if you don't have the hollowseeker. You get 3 mini bosses with many flying shit, undodgeable 3-layer purple waves, flying machines or those bat-like things that strike you. It's a messy shit and you need to sprint and change location a lot. Don't remember but if there is a grappling hook spot then use it to confuse the enemy.

Try to be calm, not sure if you can though, and be focused!

EDIT: I think there are also canons, don't remember though.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

You never need to fight the same boss again, actually just go straight away to the next biome even if you reset.

GymWolf

I like how everyone has a different favourite weapon.

I tend to switch based on damage bonus and perks, for now i don't have a preferred one.

Okay maybe shotgun and pistol are in a lower tier compared to the others :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I like how everyone has a different favourite weapon.

I tend to switch based on damage bonus and perks, for now i don't have a preferred one.

Okay maybe shotgun and pistol are in a lower tier compared to the others :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The pistol is so powerful, 3rd best choice to me.

BTW, you can turn on aim assist if you're facing so much difficulty.

Well I hadn’t beaten him until now lol 25 deaths later.

No need to fight him anymore. You can just travel directly to biome 2.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

And to every one who is saying: "Muh, what about dem meta-progression!"

The upgrade system for the weapon traits is pure meta-progression!

It carries over from run to run, even if you haven't fulfilled a 100% of the task!

Rub It In Take That GIF by ABC Network

GymWolf

The pistol is so powerful, 3rd best choice to me.

BTW, you can turn on aim assist if you're facing so much difficulty.

No need to fight him anymore. You can just travel directly to biome 2.
Where did i said that i'm facing so much difficulty?? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

the game is hard, but not soulsborne or doom hard.

At least for now in biome 4.

but people was lamenting about biome 3 being super hard and i surpassed that one at first try.

Strange because i'm absolute shit with bullet hell games (but pretty good with souls\tps)

Where did i said that i'm facing so much difficulty?? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

the game is hard, but not soulsborne or doom hard.

At least for now in biome 4.

but people was lamenting about biome 3 being super hard and i surpassed that one at first try.

Strange because i'm absolute shit with bullet hell games (but pretty good with souls\tps)
For me Returnal is definitely harder than Doom Eternal and maybe even harder that Souls. Maybe I've had bad luck or something.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What's everyone's view on the Reconstructors? Seems like the most valuable use of Ether I've found so far (granted, I haven't played much). Everything else kind of pales in comparison to the usefulness, regardless of how expensive it is.
They are too expensive at 6 ethers. Especially since they spawn you back at the reconstructer and reset the boss. And they only spawn you in the world where you purchased it. I died at the second boss and because I had no health items left, it was pretty much pointless to go back and take the boss on again.

I wish they worked like the figurine.

Id say use them on the ether portal by the ship because it supposedly adds new items to your loot pool.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Me after being beaten by the game over and over again.

You're good but you seem to lose your shit under anxiety. The only moment I had my heart pumping hard was the second life against the final boss with very low health and he had very low health as well. Thank God I got that AI sidekick shooting at him with me but I actually kept my head cool and put my eyes around all the mess thrown at me. From your last death I see that you kinda rush things, and patience is your best friend in this game.

They are too expensive at 6 ethers. Especially since they spawn you back at the reconstructer and reset the boss. And they only spawn you in the world where you purchased it. I died at the second boss and because I had no health items left, it was pretty much pointless to go back and take the boss on again.

Id say use them on the ether portal by the ship because it supposedly adds new items to your loot pool.

Beating each boss gives you 5 Ether, so it's worth it. I actually spend some ether for obolite to buy medkits and stuff.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

FUCK ME IS BIOME 5 A DIFFICULTY SPIKE

So many flying robot cunts along with these new elders that wreck me, Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem tips please kind sir :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Try to get the timing down for the dash against the drones. It is important and helped me a lot. No matter if they shot or do kamikazi you should evade as late as possible. !!! iFrames !!!
I know it sound easier than it is but really take your time to learn this. In addition it helped me to keep a steady flow of shooting one down and than melee another one.
You can also cheese them sometimes if you have a door nearby. But it is risky.

As for the other sadistic things that haunt you there...

I still struggle myself in biome 5. Upgrading my sword helped a lot with the Kerberonyx.
Remember that most enemies stagger when you hit them with the sword. This is good for crowd control.

And upgrade your weapons by using EACH one of the from time to time!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You're good but you seem to lose your shit under anxiety. The only moment I had my heart pumping hard was the second life against the final boss with very low health and he had very low health as well. Thank God I got that AI sidekick shooting at him with me but I actually kept my head cool and put my eyes around all the mess thrown at me. From your last death I see that you kinda rush things, and patience is your best friend in this game.
I dont think its anxiety. Ive done intense Destiny raids and some slick shit in multiplayer games with high stakes. This game has just exposed me as a gamer. It requires a lot from you that other shooters typically dont. I have platinums in games like Bloodborne, Demon Souls and Destiny, I just finished Mass Effect Andromeda on Insanity, but this game wants you to move and dodge all the time. I am just not nimble enough. Also, you cant get OP like you do in other games by grinding out the stats. You pretty much have to make do with what you have, and I am clearly not good enough.

Getting better though.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I dont think its anxiety. Ive done intense Destiny raids and some slick shit in multiplayer games with high stakes. This game has just exposed me as a gamer. It requires a lot from you that other shooters typically dont. I have platinums in games like Bloodborne, Demon Souls and Destiny, I just finished Mass Effect Andromeda on Insanity, but this game wants you to move and dodge all the time. I am just not nimble enough. Also, you cant get OP like you do in other games by grinding out the stats. You pretty much have to make do with what you have, and I am clearly not good enough.

Getting better though.

That's why I kinda hate RPG's and prefer skill-based games. Most games are just too easy. God of War at GMGOW was so punishing then gets much easier, the goons are harder than bosses early on. Uncharted 4 at Crushing was a bit unfair at level 20. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Games like The Witcher 3, RDR2 are extremely easy. I think Returnal is 7/10 in terms of difficulty, which is enjoyable but not punishing/rewarding enough. TLOU2 being 9/10 in Crushing and GOW 10/10 with these fucking Valkyries.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That's why I kinda hate RPG's and prefer skill-based games. Most games are just too easy. God of War at GMGOW was so punishing then gets much easier, the goons are harder than bosses early on. Uncharted 4 at Crushing was a bit unfair at level 20. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Games like The Witcher 3, RDR2 are extremely easy. I think Returnal is 7/10 in terms of difficulty, which is enjoyable but not punishing/rewarding enough. TLOU2 being 9/10 in Crushing and GOW 10/10 with these fucking Valkyries.
I actually have a platinum in GoW. Sigrun is the hardest boss ive ever faced in a video game. Much harder than any of Souls bosses. I even beat the Valkyries on NG+ GMGOW where they all get enhanced versions of their attacks, but it's much more manageable because you can tailor your build to your playstyle. With Sigrun, I went with a healing build with everything from my axe hits to runic attacks and shields giving me health back. On NG+, i made DPS builds to kill them in 30 seconds before they can even attack. Cant do that here. You have to git gud. Like I said, this game exposes your weaknesses.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I actually have a platinum in GoW. Sigrun is the hardest boss ive ever faced in a video game. Much harder than any of Souls bosses. I even beat the Valkyries on NG+ GMGOW where they all get enhanced versions of their attacks, but it's much more manageable because you can tailor your build to your playstyle. With Sigrun, I went with a healing build with everything from my axe hits to runic attacks and shields giving me health back. On NG+, i made DPS builds to kill them in 30 seconds before they can even attack. Cant do that here. You have to git gud. Like I said, this game exposes your weaknesses.

You’re also waaaaaaay more RNG dependent in games like this. No real way to strategise or put together a build that works for you. Case in point: my first go at Phrike I nearly killed him first time thanks to a five star gun, a figurine, and high protection. Next few attempts I had nothing like that.
That’s roguelikes. I never get angry or frustrated like the way I sometimes do with Souls games, because so much is in the lap of the gods for each run.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

The figurine revives you?

SlimySnake

The figurine revives you?
Yep. ALWAYS buy the astronaut figurine first if you find it at the shop. way better than spending obliotes on 25% more health or large medpacks.

Not sure which biome you are on, but regular enemies can easily kill you in biomes 2 and 3 so always nice to have a figurine on hand.

Top Bottom