• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Turkey halts activities of 370 groups as purge widens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/i...58bc&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Turkey has halted the activities of 370 non-governmental groups including human rights and children's organizations over their alleged terrorist links, the government said as it widens purges following a failed coup in July.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus defended the ban on the activities of the NGOs operating across the country, which was announced by the Interior Ministry late on Friday.

"The organizations are not shut down, they are being suspended. There is strong evidence that they are linked to terrorist organizations," Kurtulmus said.

"Turkey has to fight terrorism on so many different fronts. We are trying to clear the state institutions from Gulenists. At the same time we are fighting against Kurdish militants and Islamic State," Kurtulmus told reporters on Saturday.

Every group is a terrorist group apparently.

Dsyndrome

All the Turkish military students at my school got called back home two weeks ago, regardless of their progress on their studies. I'm hoping against hope nothing bad happens to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom