• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Pixar's Inside Out: "Pixar's Spirited Away"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside Out has screened at Cannes, and the buzz is positive. VERY positive.

Robbie Collins, The Telegraph

Pixar’s early work was heavily influenced by the films of the Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki, and the fact that Inside Out’s plot is set in motion by a removal, with a pre-teen girl in the back of her family’s car apprehensively weighing up the fresh start she’s about to make, immediately connects it to Miyazaki’s 2001 masterpiece Spirited Away, which began with an identical set-up.

And it’s far from the only thing they have in common: both films are about the last days of childhood, the point at which our inner lives must be broken and rebuilt if we’re to flourish as adults – and both describe this chaotic, terrifying process by plunging their heroines into fantastical, Jungian wonderlands of fairies, monsters and waking dreams.

This is a humane and heart-wrenchingly beautiful film from Docter; even measured alongside Pixar’s numerous great pictures, it stands out as one of the studio’s very best.

Peter Debruge, Variety

On paper, “Inside Out” sounded like another lunatic gamble: an adventure that takes place entirely within the head of an 11-year-old girl, featuring her Emotions as characters — although if anyone could pull off a logline like that, it would be the team who made us care about rats who cook, toys that bond, and robots who fall in love. Sure enough, in execution, Pixar’s 15th feature proves to be the greatest idea the toon studio has ever had: a stunningly original concept that will not only delight and entertain the company’s massive worldwide audience, but also promises to forever change the way people think about the way people think, delivering creative fireworks grounded by a wonderfully relatable family story.

Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

Pete Docter’s new animation Inside Out does not deliver that shock of the new which was so stunning in the Pixar heyday of the last decade — all the dazzling technical spectacle of detail, colour and light which had us gobsmacked, and which we now take utterly for granted. This movie is a sweet-natured coming-of-age comedy, a kind of tween-transition crisis, though with a fundamentally sunny Disneyfied worldview. It hasn’t anything as genuinely emotionally devastating as Up, or the subtlety and inspired subversion of Monsters Inc. and the Toy Stories which it certainly resembles at various stages. But it is certainly a terrifically likeable, ebullient and seductive piece of entertainment, taken at full-throttle. There is that sheen of pure professionalism that I associate with its executive producer and presiding deity, John Lasseter.

Edward Douglas, Comingsoon.net

As we’ve come to expect from Pixar, Inside Out is another gorgeous, colorful film that often makes you forget you’re watching animation. Inside Out is a bittersweet look at childhood’s end that might be Pixar’s most layered and complex film since Ratatouille.

Gregory Ellwood, hitfix.com

What truly makes “Inside Out” remarkable, however, is how incredibly creative it is. Once Joy and Sadness are stuck in Long Term Memory you can see the story beats laid out in front of you, but Docter and his animators constantly surprise with the inhabitants they have populated throughout Riley’s mind. From her abandoned imaginary friend Bing Bong (Richard Kind) to the eye-popping realization of Abstract World, there is a wealth of new ideas here that put recent Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios films to shame.

The dramatic elements of “Inside Out” will stick with you, but don’t fear. The humor is palpable. Sure, the shtick of having an intense and loud comedian such as Black voice Anger is painfully obvious, but it’s in the emotional control rooms of Riley’s parents where, again, the film’s creativity and the laughs really come in to play. And when Docter depicts the emotions in people outside Riley’s family? It only serves to answer the main question we asked at the beginning of this review. You can make a coherent, entertaining and moving experience out of this concept as a feature length film and it can be very, very good.

So glad to hear it's good! Was really missing Pixar for the last few years (haven't liked anything they did since Ratatouille sadly :/ ).

HUELEN10

Pixar's Spirited Away? Fuck that.

No, the comment that blows me away is the most layered since Ratatouille, now THAT means business!

Zalasta

Not even close...the trailer I saw evoked nothing of the magic that was Spirited Away. However, I will agree with everyone that said the last great film from Pixar was Ratatouille.

Cream

Banned
Glad to hear we can to see emotions in other people's heads besides the family.

That clues in to big things about the story

Mii

Banned
I'm skeptical.

It's a shame it's even possible for me to be skeptical of a Pixar film. They've really fallen quite far. Hopefully this is a new start of consistent quality from Pixar.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
This is a humane and heart-wrenchingly beautiful film from Docter; even measured alongside Pixar’s numerous great pictures, it stands out as one of the studio’s very best.

If it's as emotional as the beginning of Up... hoo boy...

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've been keeping my eye on this since I heard about it. It's such a good idea. Can't wait to check it out, even more so now that I hear some more positive things about it.

Dommo

I'm ready for Pixar to take me on another magical, poignant journey. Haven't had that privilege since 2010 (TS3 was without a doubt the most moving cinema experience of my life. Admittedly, I haven't been interested enough to have seen a Pixar film since). I know next to nothing about Inside Out, but the concept is enough to get me into the cinema, I think.

The trailers are some of the worst I've ever seen from a real studio, so this is kinda surprising

That Spirited Away comment is such as asspull, though. like both Bioshock Infinite and TLOU being the citizen kane of games, GTA4 oscar worthy script "Let's hope I get quoted on the poster!" kind of statement

Well, its IS Pete Docter in the director's chair. The guy behind Monster's Inc. and UP has never failed me.

Looking forward to this but not expecting *ahem* Pixar's Spirited away.

Dommo

The trailers are some of the worst I've ever seen from a real studio, so this is kinda surprising

I've never actually seen a good Pixar trailer. Pre 2011, every Pixar trailer I'd see I'd think to myself "Well, their previous movies are great, but I dunno about this one..." then I'd see the film and it'd be great. Rinse, repeat.

They really play up the 'kids' film' angle a lot of the time, sucking out any of the creative interest Pixar has delivered in the past.

EDIT: I think the thing that already immediately separates this film from Pixar's recent efforts is the unique concept. That's enough to pique my interest right off the bat. I loved Toy Story 3, but since 2010, we've had a sequel, a sequel, a fairly straightforward coming of age tale set in a pretty regular fantasy world, and another sequel. This is the first time in a long time we've had a really novel concept in the ballpark of Toy Story, Monster's Inc, WALL-E and Up. Obviously that's just very surface level foundations, but it's a good starting point.

On paper, “Inside Out” sounded like another lunatic gamble: an adventure that takes place entirely within the head of an 11-year-old girl, featuring her Emotions as characters...

Maybe it's just me, but that sounds much more awesome than the writer is making that out to be.

I haven't heard of Inside Out, but this thread is making me want to check it out...

I cannot wait for this movie. The year+ long gap between Pixar movies has been rough. I need this. So glad to hear it's getting such great buzz.

Akahige

Same director as Up so it shouldn't be surprising that it's great but I'm happy to hear, Pixar's output has been hit or miss to me for a long while.

The movie looks awesome, but as good as Spirited Away... Good luck with that hyperbole.

Pixar at it's best is about 60% as good as Ghibli's A-Game. This is based on scientific research.

cyba89

I just saw the movie will release here in Germany on October 1st. What the hell, Disney?!
And that's only like a month before The Good Dinosaur.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I love all Pixar films, but I'm especially excited to see Pete's latest. My 2 year old is currently obsessed with Up -- watching it daily, and I seriously love it more every time I see it. So so charming, clever, and creative.

Can't wait!!

Oersted

Mainstream critics really don't watch much animation. These comparisons... any better critics for animation out there?

The Lamp

I'm honestly surprised. Their last films haven't been that good and the art style for this film is ass. The emotion character design and design of the inside of her mind/body are so bland.

But it's a Pixar film so I will always at least check it out.

I'm glad this got more time given to it. No reason why this should have been anything less than magical with that golden premise.

Peru

Wall-E was great and UP is not just the opening sequence, the rest of the movie's old fashioned adventure with a twist is equally inspired. THEN they lost it. Hopefully they're back.

Fireblend

Banned
Yep, I'm excited since those first impressions came out. Good to see this round of impressions is just as positive. Getting really hyped now, I miss Pixar.

rezuth

Hype is slowly rising. The concept is interesting but I have a hard time thinking it will work for a full length movie, happy to be proven wrong by the movie though.

Bitanator

Makes me happy that they finally made a great one after Up. Now I'm not sure about that Dino film, hopefully it has charm

ChaosXVI

Very pumped for a new Pixar movie...I can't believe how hard they've fallen with their last few movies. Toy Story 3 was the last movie they made that I felt was worth a damn, and even it wasn't anything groundbreaking. But man, making something as good as Ratatouille and then following it up with freaking Wall-E (my personal favorite), and then Up, another instant classic...how the mighty have fallen.

Hope this one puts them back on top. Pete Docter's last movie was Up, right?

Spinluck

Considering the fact that Ratatouille was their last great film from start to finish, I am somewhat more excited.

Not even close...the trailer I saw evoked nothing of the magic that was Spirited Away. However, I will agree with everyone that said the last great film from Pixar was Ratatouille.

GAF is the only place that says shit like this.

Up and WALL-E both have quite the universal praise and acclaim. So, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom