• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Pixar's Inside Out: "Pixar's Spirited Away"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Brave too. I think people have fallen into the interesting fodder narrative of "great company sells out, quality turns to shit." Cars and Cars 2 weren't at the same level as their best work and I like many are concerned about sequelitis, but I try not to get sucked into the metacommentary about the films. I think doing so would have hurt my enjoyment of Brave a lot with all the "it's so progressive for being about a mom and daughter!"/"It's not progressive *enough*!" stuff that was trying to ascribe greater importance to it.

Agreed; I actually went into that movie completely blind of the reviews, and once I got out of the theater being like "IT WAS SO AMAZING" that's when I saw that some others were soured on it. But whatever, it's such a gorgeous movie and it has plenty of comedy and heart. Classic Pixar IMO.

To be honest, the only Pixar movies I didn't really enjoy were the Cars flicks and Monsters University. Everything else I loved.

Wall-E and Ratatouille are by far my favorites though.

knkng

Similar overarching themes and quality. I think you're overthinking this.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'm also letting my bias weigh in a little too much. Even though I love Pixar, I generally see Ghibli as being more "artistic". The comparison just ruffled my feathers, lol.

Movie loses all the magic once the fat stupid humans are introduced imo and doesn't get it back until the very end.

Still love the movie but yeah.

I disagree

gravity5.jpg

Movie was magical from start to finish

Whaaaattt at the Ratatouille comments.
Their last great film was Up.

Toy Story 3 and Monsters University were good films.

The Cars films and Brave are forgettable at best

MercuryLS

Banned
Pixar are a pretty up-and-down studio for me. They can reach some incredible highs but there are also many movies they make that just don't do anything for me at all.

For me, personally, the Pixar movies I've seen go:

Great:
Toy Story
Monsters. Inc
Ratatouille

Good:
The Incredibles
Cars
Wall-E
A Bug's Life

Decent:
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3

Bad:
Up
Cars 2
Monster's University
Brave

I hope Inside Out ends up being up there with their great works :)

Up in the bad column is just wrong.

My favorites are:

Up
Wall-E
Ratatouille
The Incredibles
Toy Story Trilogy

Everything else ranges from good to decent to terrible (Cars and Cars 2).

MercuryLS

Banned
Movie loses all the magic once the fat stupid humans are introduced imo and doesn't get it back until the very end.

Yeah I'd have to agree, it could have been the best Pixar movie but things go a bit off the rails when the humans are introduced.

Between this and Mad Max, this is turning out to be a great year for Hollywood. If this is as good as these early reviews suggest I won't even care if Star Wars ends up being a clunker.

This really feels like a Pixar taking a chance, which hasn't been their forte since Up. I hope this becomes a new trend for Pixar, and not a dying gasp of their former greatness.

Ratatouille and Brave are my 2 favorite Pixar movies. I will never understand the mediocre reception Brave received.

Really looking forward to Inside Out. I'm sure plenty will think it's terrible as has been the trend for Pixar.

I actually got angry watching Wall E. Anything with a Disney logo on it is not allowed to scold me about consumerism and entertainment addiction.

1. Toy Story 2
2. Up
3. Toy Story 3
4. Toy Story
5. WALL-E
6. The Incredibles
7. Finding Nemo
8. Monsters Inc.
9. Ratatoullie
10. A Bug's Life
11. Monsters University
12. Cars
13. Brave
14. Cars 2

Is The Good Dinosaur really coming out in November? I find that hard to believe.

Wanderer5

1. Toy Story 2
2. Up
3. Toy Story 3
4. Toy Story
5. WALL-E
6. The Incredibles
7. Finding Nemo
8. Monsters Inc.
9. Ratatoullie
10. A Bug's Life
11. Monsters University
12. Cars
13. Brave
14. Cars 2

Is The Good Dinosaur really coming out in November? I find that hard to believe.

Yeah it is. Hope it pulls through after having issues with the story development.

WALL-E is incredible until they go into space and UP is incredible until the halfway point as well. Both films peak in the first half. Ratatouille is constantly great

This. And personally, I dont get or love Up. The first 10 minutes are one of the greatest sections of all time, but as soon as they start flying I lost it.

Ratatoille had a trouble gestation, but the outcome was quite incredible.

Recent Pixar movie? Nah. I liked Brave but it is a standard folk more, more Disney than Pixar. Tangled was way better on that.

Pixar are a pretty up-and-down studio for me. They can reach some incredible highs but there are also many movies they make that just don't do anything for me at all.

For me, personally, the Pixar movies I've seen go:

Great:
Toy Story
Monsters. Inc
Ratatouille

Good:
The Incredibles
Cars
Wall-E
A Bug's Life

Decent:
Finding Nemo
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3

Bad:
Up
Cars 2
Monster's University
Brave

I hope Inside Out ends up being up there with their great works :)

We think and have similar tastes, but I would rise Finding Nemo to the good section and Brave to decent (mainly from a technical perspective). Up first tem minutes are on the great for me, but yeah, all the test can stay there.

Saw Inside Out (don't ask me how) - it's fantastic. Second best movie I've seen this year behind Mad Max, not that my rankings mean anything.

BUT:

Great:
UP
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Monsters. Inc
Ratatouille
The Incredibles
Wall-E

Good:
Finding Nemo

Decent:
Brave
A Bug's Life
Cars

Bad:
Cars 2 (let's not forget who pushed Pixar into making this one)

Nope. Spirited Away is still a step higher than any Pixar movies.

Apples and oranges, really. Pixar is a different type of animation studio, but their hits are just as high as Spirited Away.

Where is the toy story 3 love. People thought there was no way it would meet everyone's lofty expectations and then the movie somehow did. Up Wall E and Toy Story 3 were the pinnacle of greatness.

Is it like Spirited Away?

:p

Hahaha. If Spirited Away's goal is to take us through innocence with the mystical world as our guide, Inside Out does it with Amy Poehler's sense of goofiness, warmth, and always surprising depth.

It doesn't seem like much at first, but the film eventually opens up and man - it takes off from there. If you weren't aware of how much your subconscious mind dictates who you are, you will after this movie. Hard not to, really.

Isotope

Even if the claim that Inside Out really is Pixar's Spirited Away is maybe slightly exaggerated (I'm not specifically saying it is), being compared to one of my favorite animated movies ever already has me really excited, so now I can't wait to see it.

also, toy story 3 is fantastic; needs more love.

Toxi

Banned
Nope. Spirited Away is still a step higher than any Pixar movies.
As someone who has enjoyed both, no? The Incredibles and Ratatouille especially are some of the best animated movies ever made. Spirited Away is also one of my favorite animated movies and probably my favorite Studio Ghibli movie. They're different types of films, but excel at what they're trying to do.

I feel like the "Pixar's Spirited Away" comment was less about quality anyway and more about the fact Inside Out is also about a young girl growing up, which is unusual for Pixar.
From the previews I got the feeling that the films main message is something like "its not ok to feel sad ever."
From the previews you probably also got the impression this movie is three minutes long.

The only Pixar movie ive been dissapointed with (and both Cars dont count) Is fucking Brave.
Even worse it took the oscar from the one who most deserved it in that company that year, Wreck it Ralph.

Im sure Pete Docter with this and Brad Bird with The Incredibles 2 are not going to dissapoint me.

From the previews you probably also got the impression this movie is three minutes long.

No, but in the previews we see Joy and Sadness go on a journey through the main character's mind. And one of the things the preview shows several times is Joy teaching Sadness to be positive, to stop being so glum, etc...

It seems reasonable for me to predict that by the movie's end Sadness will learn that there's nothing to be sad about, or at least not as much as always.

Ghost in the Shell, Ratatouille, Wreck-It Ralph, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia, The Lion King, are all better imo.

Wreck-It Ralph is a better movie than Spirited Away? Fucking hell.

Anyway, Pixar 1995-2010 was magic. Only A Bug's Life and Cars are less than masterpieces. I am excited.

From the previews I got the feeling that the films main message is something like "its not ok to feel sad ever."

While trailers can certainly mislead, trust me - that's not the case here. The nuance you experience between emotions and moment to moment living is fantastic.

Maybe that's where the Ghibli comparison comes in. The film understands what drives our actions and thoughts, much like great Ghibli films create characters that grow on you and over the course of any film.

Saw Inside Out (don't ask me how) - it's fantastic. Second best movie I've seen this year behind Mad Max, not that my rankings mean anything.

BUT:

Great:
UP
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Monsters. Inc
Ratatouille
The Incredibles
Wall-E

Good:
Finding Nemo

Decent:
Brave
A Bug's Life
Cars

Bad:
Cars 2 (let's not forget who pushed Pixar into making this one)

Apples and oranges, really. Pixar is a different type of animation studio, but their hits are just as high as Spirited Away.

Holy hell, this list is exactly as mine (well, not the order in the Great list, but maybe you were listing there without an order). Never thought I would see anothe human being putting Finding Nemo on the good list instead of the excellent one.

Fireblend

Banned

Huh, I feel like the trailers are telegraphing the exact opposite. Sadness will be misunderstood and shunned by the other emotions at the beginning and then the movie will end with them understanding her role and welcoming as an important part of "the team" (there can't be light without darkness and all that stuff). I could see this movie being a go-to resource for understanding depression as something that can't just be "willed away".

What do I know though, I haven't seen it. It's just what I get from the trailers.

Toxi

Banned
Wreck-It Ralph is a better movie than Spirited Away? Fucking hell.
I have no idea where the love for Wreck-It-Ralph comes from. It's got an extremely rote plot that takes a nose-five halfway through and squanders any potential it builds up with its titular character. Visually it also squanders its potential the moment the film-makers decide to set the whole thing in Candyland.

I was excited about this film... until the trailers were released that showed that dad's constantly thinking about football, never listens to his wife, and meanwhile mom is a constant nag who daydreams about being with some Hollywood hunk.

Fuck gender stereotypes and fuck this film. I haven't wanted a Pixar film to fail so bad since Cars 2 and the fact that so many people want to see it after those godawful trailers depresses me.

FafaFooey

I have no idea where the love for Wreck-It-Ralph comes from. It's got an extremely rote plot that takes a nose-five halfway through and squanders any potential it builds up with its titular character. Visually it also squanders its potential the moment the film-makers decide to set the whole thing in Candyland.

Wreck-It Ralph is the ultimate example what happens when you listen to those asshats at marketing research, who compulsively narrow it down to a checklist of "sure-fire hits" for every demographic imaginable.

- Big strong hero [X]
- But also somewhat insecure [X]
- 15 minutes of shooter action and aliens for the boys [X]
- Retro game references for the nostalgic parents [X]
- Mouthy young girl with an attitude in a pink environment for the girls [X]

Just absolutely terrible.

SalvaPot

I was excited about this film... until the trailers were released that showed that dad's constantly thinking about football, never listens to his wife, and meanwhile wife is a constant nag who daydreams about being with some Hollywood hunk.

Fuck gender stereotypes and fuck this film. I haven't wanted a Pixar film to fail so bad since Cars 2 and the fact that so many people want to see it after those godawful trailers depresses me.

There is no need to be upset.

Wanderer5

I was excited about this film... until the trailers were released that showed that dad's constantly thinking about football, never listens to his wife, and meanwhile wife is a constant nag who daydreams about being with some Hollywood hunk.

The hell, you want it to fail just cause of some stereotype jokes that are most likely going to be extremely insignificant to the movie as a whole? And lol yeah one scene shows that these parents constantly do these.

20130404-SlowMotionFaceSlap-Thumb1.jpg

The hell, you want it to fail just cause of some stereotype jokes that are most likely going to be extremely insignificant to the movie as a whole?

Negative gender stereotypes, like negative racial and religious stereotypes, need to die. So yeah, I wouldn't mind if this underperforms at the box office. Pete Docter ought to be ashamed of himself.

Toothless

YESSSS!!

I'm ready to be a Pixar fanboy again; the poor quality of Cars 2 and Brave actually managed to get me pissed off, and although I liked Monsters U, it ended up being pretty forgettable.

Docter's about to bring health back to Pixar

And the fact that The Telegraph is drawing parallels to Miyazaki's work is outrageous. Studio Ghibli films are anything but sexist and stereotypical.

I was excited about this film... until the trailers were released that showed that dad's constantly thinking about football, never listens to his wife, and meanwhile mom is a constant nag who daydreams about being with some Hollywood hunk.

Damn. I am definitely going to see it now. And hopefully bring a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom