• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Pixar's Inside Out: "Pixar's Spirited Away"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitanator

I'd actually be curious which you think. I honestly don't think Disney's best even trumps Dreamworks' best (The Prince of Egypt).

You think a mediocre movie like The Prince of Egypt is better than movies like Pinocchio, The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, and Peter Pan?

You think a mediocre movie like The Prince of Egypt is better than movies like Pinocchio, The Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, and Peter Pan?

...what?

Prince of Egypt is a masterpiece. It's a visual wonder that still amazes to this day. It also has one of the greatest musical soundtracks in film to boot. I find it hard to see something like Peter Pan or Jungle Book even coming close to the level Prince of Egypt reached.

You think a mediocre movie like The Prince of Egypt

Ok look...Sculli is like, SUPER wrong about Prince of Egypt being better than all of Disney's catalog, I mean they made Pinocchio for fuck's sake

but I will NOT abide any Prince of Egypt libel around these parts. Not in my town.

overcast

Why are people taking the Spirited Away comparison so seriously lmao? Not only haven't they seen it, but it won't replace a favorite movie of many if people think it shares similar themes or maybe even is a quality movie too..

Inside Out's trailers were actually much better than your average animated movie trailer which are like garbage across the board.

To be fair, I think even Ghibli has struggled to match Spirited Away, that was their pinnacle in pretty much every way. It's not my favourite Ghibli but probably the most impressive from Miyasaki.

Pixar has been consistently great for over a decade and it's great to know they've still got it.

I rank The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya higher than Spirited Away, more with Grave of the Fireflies, but maybe because I find them more involving emotionally, tackling tough topics in a great way, and relevant as an adult. Spirited Away is amazing fantasy fiction in its own way too along with Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

Jarmel

Banned
I rank The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya higher than Spirited Away, more with Grave of the Fireflies, but maybe because I find them more involving emotionally and relevant as an adult. Spirited Away is amazing fantasy fiction in its own way too along with Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

Yea I wouldn't rank Spirited Away higher than say Whisper of the Heart or even Porco Rosso.

i don't really watch cartoons in theaters much these days. i'll definitely check this out on bluray though if it's that good.

pixar been disappointing since Wall-E (tho toy story was cool as well)

spirited away has probably miyazaki's most beautiful art but i dunno...i think mononoke is better

Xe4

Banned
Interesting, maybe they're back. Nothing from the trailer suggested it was anything special but maybe I'm wrong.

$100 says it wins the Oscar for animation.

I rank The Wind Rises and The Tale of Princess Kaguya higher than Spirited Away, more with Grave of the Fireflies, but maybe because I find them more involving emotionally, tackling tough topics in a great way, and relevant as an adult. Spirited Away is amazing fantasy fiction in its own way too along with Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

I found The Wind Rises to be boring beyond belief. I don't think Kaguya was better than Spirited Away, but it is the best thing Ghibli has put out in a long time for sure. I think Princess Mononoke will always be their tour de force.

Smellycat

Can't wait
3AQmK.gif

Rozart

Pixar's Spirited Away huh...that's some high praise.

I was really skeptical about the movie when they first announced it all those years ago. But the positive buzz that the movie is getting is making me really hopeful that this would be Pixar's return to form-- back to the Pixar of old. And a Pixar film that's inspired by Ghibli's Spirited Away...god, that sounds incredible.

i don't really watch cartoons in theaters much these days. i'll definitely check this out on bluray though if it's that good.

pixar been disappointing since Wall-E (tho toy story was cool as well)

spirited away has probably miyazaki's most beautiful art but i dunno...i think mononoke is better

My man.

Nausicaa manga is Miyazaki's masterpiece though.

GorillaJu

GAF is the only place that says shit like this.

Up and WALL-E both have quite the universal praise and acclaim. So, yeah.

And on gaming side people constantly call Dark Souls 2 (universally acclaimed) a disappointing pile of dog shit. It's just how we talk around here unfortunately.

DrkSage

The only bad movie I've seen from Pixar is Cars 2. That's the only bad movie because it try to go for something that wasn't really needed. Spies really?

Valhelm

contribute something

Prince of Egypt is leagues beyond all of those except Pinocchio, the Lion King, and Aladdin.

why has this thread become Ghibli VS Pixar VS Disney VS Dreamworks

It's much easier to criticize something than to defend something, particularly in this case where our enjoyment and favor for certain movies is derived from our personal experience and emotional reactions. If someone else did not feel those things or not to the same extent that we did, it is nigh impossible to change their view, so it's just easier to say "well, your movie sucked".

Blader

Never got on the Spirited Away bandwagon. Thought The Wind Rises was Miyazaki's best since like the 80s.

And The Rescuers (both of em) is the best Disney.

Cream

Banned
Here is the extent of my Spirited Away knowledge:

Skrillex used clips from it during a show of his I went to.

Valhelm

contribute something
Obviously not universal if there are people sounding off who were able to look past Up's opening 15 minutes or WALL-E's first act.

I have to disagree. Wall-E suffers a quality dip near the end, but so do both Up and Ratatouille, and moreover, it's still a great movie up until the end. The general theme of Wall-E (how a non-living thing teaches people how to be human) isn't fully realized until the third act, and it's not until here that the set up of the first act pays off. The plant growing amid the garbage represents the state of humanity at the end. Besides literally living again on their planet, the people of the Axiom have learned to be human through Wall-E's teachings.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also people putting WALL-E and Up over Ratatouille, lmao.

Valhelm

contribute something
Absolutely insane that people think that movie is some sort of masterpiece. As a kid I knew it was on the same level as a Hercules.

Watch it again.

giphy.gif

tumblr_m1j6b9zgLk1qis4puo2_500.gif

ABlDwHw.gif

0570de96-5bfc-4ac9-880e-edec8f76c6c5.gif

It's basically an animated tribute to 50s and 60s sword and sandal epics, with a breathtaking scale and incredibly beautiful imagery. It was one of the first 2D animated films to make extensive use of CGI, and does so beautifully. CGI is mostly used to symbolize God, which means it never seems jarring. The technology wasn't there yet for CGI to be undetectable, so the animators found a way to work with that.

PoE easily trumps any of Disney's output for me. The most underrated animated feature ever. The soundtrack also kills any other animated film for musical numbers. Including The Lion King.

A-V-B

Watch it again.

giphy.gif

tumblr_m1j6b9zgLk1qis4puo2_500.gif

ABlDwHw.gif

0570de96-5bfc-4ac9-880e-edec8f76c6c5.gif

It's basically an animated tribute to 50s and 60s sword and sandal epics, with a breathtaking scale and incredibly beautiful imagery. It was one of the first 2D animated films to make extensive use of CGI, and does so beautifully. CGI is mostly used to symbolize God, which means it never seems jarring. The technology wasn't there yet for CGI to be undetectable, so the animators found a way to work with that.

Looks good, but it's a movie, so... I think most people judge by other standards.

AniHawk

aside from the comic relief, there's really nothing about prince of egypt that's bad, or even questionable, let alone on the animation side of things. it is a fucking beautiful film.

regarding inside out, i am actually floored that pixar can still make movies like they did six years ago. after up, i was thinking they had kind of run out of steam. more than that, this movie looked incredibly dull as a concept. the actual story about childhood sounds way more engrossing. i'll probably check this out in theaters, while i completely skipped brave, monster's university, and cars 2.

Jarmel

Banned
PoE easily trumps any of Disney's output for me. The most underrated animated feature ever. The soundtrack also kills any other animated film for musical numbers. Including The Lion King.

I haven't watched it since I was a kid. I'll give it another go this week.

aside from the comic relief, there's really nothing about prince of egypt that's bad, or even questionable, let alone on the animation side of things. it is a fucking beautiful film.

regarding inside out, i am actually floored that pixar can still make movies like they did six years ago. after up, i was thinking they had kind of run out of steam. more than that, this movie looked incredibly dull as a concept. the actual story about childhood sounds way more engrossing. i'll probably check this out in theaters, while i completely skipped brave, monster's university, and cars 2.

But Toy Story 3 is better than most of Pixar's other films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom