• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Pixar's Inside Out: "Pixar's Spirited Away"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is bait.

On what grounds do you think it's bait? Hayao Miyazaki is a noted feminist and the characters in his films generally do not conform to negative gender stereotypes. The parents in Inside Out are hackneyed, cliched sitcom parents. Wife wants an intelligent dinner conversation but husband is daydreaming about football? Whoa, slow down, Pixar! I don't know if America's ready for such groundbreaking material!

The idea that this is a look inside of the minds of your average family unit is sexist to both genders, and although I'm in the minority, I'm certainly not the only one who thinks so..

So, yeah... sorry, this is actually how I feel about this movie.

Wanderer5

I probably be wearing the anger pin that I got from the talk along with Joy.:p

Insideoutpins_zpsfzlprjit.jpg

Anger is my favorite character design from this movie by far.

I'm not on the whole "OMG SEXIST" vendetta thing, but I didn't think any of that obvious stereotypical gender humor was very good at all. Felt like some early Dreamworks era jokes

Neoxon

So basically, Inside Out is good.

When is this coming out, again? I was hoping to see it with my little bro (our movie sessions aren't limited to MCU films, since I plan on watching Mad Max again with him).

Violet_0

Banned
the concept is great and I thought the trailer was promising so there wasn't really a doubt in my mind that this is going to be a great movie. Also it's nice to hear that the movie is supposedly very emotional

On what grounds do you think it's bait? Hayao Miyazaki is a noted feminist and the characters in his films generally do not conform to negative gender stereotypes. The parents in Inside Out are hackneyed, cliched sitcom parents. Wife wants an intelligent dinner conversation but husband is daydreaming about football? Whoa, slow down, Pixar! I don't know if America's ready for such groundbreaking material!

The idea that this is a look inside of the minds of your average family unit is sexist to both genders, and although I'm in the minority, I'm certainly not the only one who thinks so..

So, yeah... sorry, this is actually how I feel about this movie.

Some families do conform to gender stereotypes. But I guess every family movie needs to have a stay at home dad with a CEO mother and a non-binary child to reflect the .02% of the population.

Ashhong

Not even close...the trailer I saw evoked nothing of the magic that was Spirited Away. However, I will agree with everyone that said the last great film from Pixar was Ratatouille.

You are disagreeing with people that have seen the movie based on a trailer?

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, considering the movie isn't out yet and the only thing I can compare Inside Out to Spirited Away is its trailer. I thought I was being honest in expressing my incredulity?

Exactly. The movie isn't out yet. Comparing a trailer to anything is a fool's errand, especially when criticizing people who have actually seen the film with such certainty. "Not even close"? Again -- how would you know?

I don't think I could possibly rank all of the Pixar movies. It would be too hard. But I can definitely separate them into two tiers.

Bad:
Cars
Cars 2

Great:
Every other movie

Timbuktu

Nope. Spirited Away is still a step higher than any Pixar movies.

To be fair, I think even Ghibli has struggled to match Spirited Away, that was their pinnacle in pretty much every way. It's not my favourite Ghibli but probably the most impressive from Miyasaki.

Pixar has been consistently great for over a decade and it's great to know they've still got it.

genjiZERO

No, but I've been watching Disney films for several decades now, and even their best don't match a Studio Ghibli film. I could be, but I'm sceptical it will be.

Zalasta

Exactly. The movie isn't out yet. Comparing a trailer to anything is a fool's errand, especially when criticizing people who have actually seen the film with such certainty. "Not even close"? Again -- how would you know?

You're right, a trailer is not a good indication of how the movie will turn out, but in order for me to comment on such a comparison, I can only use what I have seen. To me, none of the scenes evoke the same kind of emotions that I experienced with Spirited Away (I just watched it again to make sure I know what I was talking about). The jokes, the dialogues, the execution displayed in those short 2 minutes showed me that Inside Out lacked the subtlety of Spirited Away. So maybe my choice of words was poor, but my point is that I am skeptical that the two movies are comparable due to how different they are in tone and delivery of their story telling.

You are disagreeing with people that have seen the movie based on a trailer?

Yes, see above. I don't know what the final product is, but I think I have a pretty good idea what the movie is like. After all, isn't that what a trailer is meant to convey?

ivysaur12

Banned
You're right, a trailer is not a good indication of how the movie will turn out, but in order for me to comment on such a comparison, I can only use what I have seen. To me, none of the scenes evoke the same kind of emotions that I experienced with Spirited Away (I just watched it again to make sure I know what I was talking about). The jokes, the dialogues, the execution displayed in those short 2 minutes showed me that Inside Out lacked the subtlety of Spirited Away. So maybe my choice of words was poor, but my point is that I am skeptical that the two movies are comparable due to how different they are in tone and delivery of their story telling.

Yeah, that's fair, I just think that's a different comment than a blanket "Not even close". I'm also skeptical, but I also know that trailers are a wholly different beast than an actual movie.

Briarios

I love all the reviewers comments I've seen about it being "wildly original" -- when EPCOT had Cranium Command decades ago and there was this little show called Herman's Head, which was basically the same premise.

That's fine ... story stuff gets reused all the time to positive outcomes, but acting like it something new is a bit disingenuous. I'm still looking forward to it, though!

Fjordson

Nice, hope it delivers. Love Pixar as a whole, but can't say I've really enjoyed anything from them since Up.

edit: forgot about Toy Story 3. Liked that.

I will kindle some optimism, but remain very skeptical. The trailers were awful, from the premise to the content.

I've learned to never trust the trailers to animated movies. Literally every single preview and trailer I see on tv for these always has the worst parts of the movie.

What's with the Monsters University hate? It's an exceptional film that manages to subvert a lot of the ideas 'standard' to "College films". It's nothing like what its trailers suggested.

In truth, the only Pixar movie I don't really like is Cars 2, but I still can see its appeal to kids -it's just not a very good film for the whole family.

Inside Out looks like nothing Pixar has ever tried, and I trust Pixar enough to believe it's going to be great.

ionitron

I loved Monsters University. Especially the Last twenty minutes or so, how could anyone not be blown away. Bonus round in that I was also going off to my freshman year in a university where the Panhelennic Greek council reigns supreme :/ I was surprised it didn't do as well critically, not as fantastic as Pixars best but miles better than Brave imo.

I was skeptical about this movie. I really ruined Brave for myself by being incredibly overhyped, I left feeling so disappointed- so I really learned my lesson and didn't see a single trailer or many other images for Inside Out. From the glimpses I saw I really wasn't expecting a masterpiece- comparing it to Spirirted Away is a bit much imo but if it's fantastic, I'm excited.

I found out today that it comes out the day after my B-day too so I guess those are my plans haha.

Looking forward to it. Going in with no expectations since nobody at Pixar has made a great movie since Ratatouille and critics were jerking off to Up and Wall-E just as much as they are to this.

Oersted

Some families do conform to gender stereotypes. But I guess every family movie needs to have a stay at home dad with a CEO mother and a non-binary child to reflect the .02% of the population.

Do you know what a strawman is? I can point you to some examples.

Jarmel

Banned
No, but I've been watching Disney films for several decades now, and even their best don't match a Studio Ghibli film. I could be, but I'm sceptical it will be.

lol I want to say this is bait but I know better.

Disney's best smashes through Ghibli's best.

Lion King, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty>>Porco Rosso, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Kaguya

I didn't even get into the weaker Ghibli films.

Jarmel

Banned
I'd actually be curious which you think. I honestly don't think Disney's best even trumps Dreamworks' best (The Prince of Egypt).

Lion King is tops. I didn't even get into stuff like Beauty and the Beast or classics like Fantasia or Snow White.

You seriously can't tell me Disney hasn't made a film as good as Howl's Moving Castle, which is bottom barrel Ghibli. Ponyo and Arriety aren't even on the same level as the weaker Disney Renaissance films(well maybe Pocahontas).

Valhelm

contribute something
Color. Me. Surprised.

Inside Out looked so awful in the trailers that after the mediocrity of Brave, Cars 2, and Monsters University, I expected it to mark the end of Pixar's golden years.

It's really reassuring to know that I was wrong!

Lion King is tops. I didn't even get into stuff like Beauty and the Beast or classics like Fantasia or Snow White.

You seriously can't tell me Disney hasn't made a film as good as Howl's Moving Castle, which is bottom barrel Ghibli. Ponyo and Arriety aren't even on the same level as the weaker Disney Renaissance films(well maybe Pocahontas).

Of course Disney has made films as good as Howl's - which as you mentioned, is bottom of the barrel Ghibli.

But that's not what you said. You said

Disney's best smashes through Ghibli's best.

So why you would start comparing to Ghibli's lesser efforts is confusing when you mentioned their best. What are the Disney films that you believe 'smash' Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away?

Jarmel

Banned
Of course Disney has made films as good as Howl's - which as you mentioned, is bottom of the barrel Ghibli.

But that's not what you said, you said

So why you would start comparing to Ghibli's lesser efforts is confusing when you mentioned their best. What are the Disney films that you believe top Princess Mononoke or Spirited Away?

Well tthe original post by Genji was comparing Disney's best against a random Ghibli film.

As I stated in my original post; Lion King, Aladdin, and Sleeping Beauty for starters. Lion King easily trumps Spirited Away.

Galang

Banned
Woah I didn't even know this was a thing. I rarely go to the theatre anymore, but I'll definitely be watching this Day 1.

Valhelm

contribute something
GAF is the only place that says shit like this.

Up and WALL-E both have quite the universal praise and acclaim. So, yeah.

From a storytelling standpoint, Wall-E > Up > Ratatouille.

From an animation standpoint, Ratatouille > Wall-E > Up

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Pixar's Spirited Away? Fuck that.

No, the comment that blows me away is the most layered since Ratatouille, now THAT means business!

Considering the fact that Ratatouille was their last great film from start to finish, I am somewhat more excited.

Yeah Ratatouille is a masterpiece. It also happens to still stand toe to toe with Monsters University as the best CG Pixar has ever produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom