• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revised DS4 Included with PS4 Slim

thenameDS

Wtf I don't understand this at all. Why is there now another lightbar when the one we had was already bullshit enough.

I would totally understand this if the new one replaced the old one.

dealer-

Really trying to figure out what the 2nd light is for. Seeing the touchpad in the dark? VR features?

Would be silly if the battery life is even worse due to it.

Someone mentioned in the other thread that it could be because the Slim console doesn't have LED strips now so this could replace that.

I'm wondering if there added light bar is to allow PSVR to detect the controller in 3D space. Can't think of any other use case.

Being honest this makes more sense to their initial ideas of implementation for the light, some games tried using the light bar for certain things, like health or torches etc. Problem was that you can't see it! At least now the colour will show in front of you, so low health and a red flashing light will be easier to spot.

Vire

Wait... That was their first thought? To add another light? You know the one thing people complained about with the original controller.

Not to fix the horrible build quality, tearing analog sticks and squeaky triggers?

What the hell Sony.

Wait... That was their first thought? To add another light? You know the one thing people complained about with the original controller.

Not to fix the horrible build quality, tearing analog sticks and squeaky triggers?

What the hell Sony.

I'm... yeah. Yeah, this here. It's also still a pretty ugly controller IMO.

Hopefully the Neo controller is... not this.

Pimpbaa

That seems... pointless.

Well not completely. Some games use the light for status indicators or special effects (like flashing red and blue when chased by cops in GTAV). It was pointless before because you couldn't see the damn light unless you played in the dark. But that is not nearly as important as better battery life or more durable triggers. Which I hope Sony fixed in this new revision.

One year later

b7bca4e085.jpg

LOLOL

Rellik

What the hell Sony.

The sticks are clearly different on this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

What the hell Sony.

Build quality is is probably improved. This guy just wants to give us little bits of info so we keep paying attention to him.

RedAssedApe

Banned

What the hell Sony.

these have been updated in newer ds4s.

Lichter

I'm laughing so hard, I can't... wtf Sony ��������

We wanted to get rid of that led light and you are just adding another one. :|

NewDust

Seems to me the new lightbar is there to relay the same information as the original lightbar, which wasn't visible if your holding it. They can't remove the original position because it is needed for VR.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yo dawg we heard you hate the DS4 light so we added another light

Yo dawg we heard you hate paying for online multiplayer so we added another $20 to the price

otakukidd

The original light was for the camera. But they allowed developers use it for in game notifications like turning red when hurt or green when everything is OK. But you cant see it good when using the controller right. This would allow the user see that light while using it it correctly.

psyfi

Banned
Oh man, PLEASE have better durability. The crappy build quality has really soured me on the idea of buying a PS4 again.

Like some posters said earlier, Im wondering If you could just click the touchpad button to see If you PS4 slim is in standby mode(Orange bar),etc. Instead of clicking the ps button to fully turn on the controller for power.

Boke1879

What the hell Sony.

Haven't the triggers and thumbsticks been fixed already. My white Ds4 and Darth Vader Ds4 don't suffer from any of these issues.

Neoxon

The original light was for the camera. But they allowed developers use it for in game notifications like turning red when hurt or green when everything is OK. But you cant see it good when using the controller right. This would allow the user see that light while using it it correctly.
My thoughts exactly

Hopefully there's also build quality & battery improvements.

Het_Nkik

Have you ever had a friend point his controller at you while playing in the dark? Shit is brutal. Get that extra light out of there, miss.

Top Bottom